Charles Fischer

Ohio State Ahead of Oregon: People are Outraged...

So the Buckeyes are No. 6 in the AP Poll, and Oregon is No. 7, and many people other than Oregon fans are beginning to see the farce...

College Football Fans Not Happy With 1 AP Poll Ranking by Matt Hladik of The Spun

It is great to see in the article all the support for Oregon's position!

Oregon running back C.J. Verdell scores a touchdown against Ohio State.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Excellent find, Charles, and the Tweet is very effective. The Tweeter is a self admitting Duck Hater and even he can see the joke that is Ohio State being above Oregon. Herbie & the ESPinners are just discounting that Week 2 game even happened. But the country isn't full of amnesiacs. Oregon Beat Ohio State at Ohio State without its Best Player!

It will be fascinating to hear the blather if Ohio State is above Oregon on Tuesday.

• Thumbs Up 1

There are still 4 conference games left. Oregon could easily lose any of these. No more cupcakes left on the schedule. I trust that they will take them all seriously. The Buckeyes also have some very tough games ahead. It’s win or no playoffs for both teams. 

Edited by DrJacksPlaidPants
  • Thumbs Up 1

I love the people tweeting that Ohio State has the better loss than Oregon cause it was to a top 10 team... but THAT TEAM WAS OREGON 

• Haha 1

The rankings usually reinforce a pre-existing narrative; in this case it's the PAC is weak and Oregon is a flash in the pan, and if the Ducks win it's a fluke.

On the other hand, the manufactured narrative is about BIG toughness and tradition and, it's Ohio State fer crissakes!

So, you get, "Sure you beat us, but we're better than you!"

Edited by jrw

FACTS ARE DIFFICULT THINGS TO IGNORE - John Adams

COMMITTEE -

1 UGA without any doubt. Then what? 

Cincinnati 8-0 - Strength of Record (SOR) 7 -  Strength of Schedule  - 103

Ohio State 7-1 - SOR  - 20 - SOS - 93

Oregon 7-1 - SOR - 12 - SOS - 15  And BTW, a win over tOSU on the road without the Ducks best player available for the game.

Maybe CIN being 8-0 and with a SOR of 7 deserves to be ranked ahead of Ohio State and Oregon,  but no way should Oregon be ranked behind Ohio State. 

Edited by Jon Joseph

Slice and dice it anyway you want but we have a Cal and Stanford problem.

Great find Charles.  I hope the PO committee is listening to the outcry of the travesty that continues to be in these bias polls and make things right.  If not, I hope the outcries become even more vocal.  If you have identical record the tie breaker should always be head to head in the decision making.

Again, at this time the facts show Oregon has the better SOR and SOS than Ohio St. along with the head to head win over Ohio St

I feel it's important that Oregon is put ahead of Ohio St. in the first poll coming out on Tuesday.  If the committee puts Ohio St. ahead of Oregon, how is Oregon going to ever jump Ohio St. if they both win out.  The committee should owe up that head to head matters.  If they don't, just show case the proof this whole playoff is a farce.

Ohio St is big viewer country. Oregon--not so much.

I am expecting Oregon to be no. 5 when all is said and done and going to a rose bowl. Ohio state will go to the playoff over us. 

Nothing to do with us but the blue bloods are strong and they'll get the nod over us. Oklahoma is figuring things out ... And the big-12 isn't that strong on the whole so they'll probably be in as well. 

Which leaves one more open spot ... I am including Georgia here because they are the team to beat right now. 

Cinci might be the first group of five team to make the playoff... They have 2 years of hype behind them and that might be what it takes. 

This is BS ..... "I shall not today attempt further to define the kinds of material I understand to be embraced within that shorthand description; and perhaps I could never succeed in intelligibly doing so. But I know it when I see it"  thank you Justice  Stewart.

At the end of the season, tosu will have to beat MI and MSU. They just beat PST. Who's Oregon have to beat? No one ranked.

3 loss OSU

4 loss WSU

3 loss UT

4 loss UW.

Not really a good resume'. 

It will all work it's self out in the end. If tosu losses one game and Oregon wins out then it's settled.

There are a number of teams who could potentially jump ahead of Oregon. And as previously mentioned things usually play out 

This will test the ESPN/SEC/BIG puppet committee for sure. After all, head to head and common opponents have been used before to keep the unclean out.

It's interesting that if Michigan State were to lose one game and then beat OSU, MSU would hold the tie breaker. If Michigan wins out, beats OSU and MSU loses just 1 game, MSU holds the tie breaker over Michigan.  Head to head settles conference tie breakers. Head to head matches matter.

We shall see if it truly matters in the coming hours.

Either way, Go Ducks  1-0 this week. Thrash the puppies up North. Upperclassmen please remind our young stars how much hatred exists between these 2 rivals.

The selection committee will only ask one meaningful question. Which four teams will generate the most revenue out of the 8 or so teams that will in the discussion. The Ducks or the pack12 will not make that grade. 

Spot on Just Ducky  

Gosh I am drinking sour grapes very early this year.

GO DUCKS.....

All I care about is taking care of next week. If we can't take care of the next few weeks it really won't matter.

I also think Oregon needs to think about how we look winning, the point margin. Oregon just doesn't seem to care Colorado couldn't score against anyone, but our defense. Those things matter to the committee. We need to put fear in other teams, which creates respect, we have little respect, other than the win in the shoe.

By the time the committee votes for real, the win in the shoe will have been a couple months gone by. We need to start building our resume for the end of the season, or there will be even more whining. Remember we were the ones booing our program a couple weeks ago.

• Thumbs Up 2

Lots of good comments, but as HayD notes, if we don’t take care of business none of the PO banter matters. Go 1-0 every week for the next 4, get to the Pac Champ game and go 1-0.

If a team (or two) trips up, we “should” get in. Otherwise we might just get the PAC shaft and play in Pasadena. Not necessarily a bad ending.

Take care of the business we can. 

On 10/31/2021 at 5:09 PM, Haywarduck said:

By the time the committee votes for real, the win in the shoe will have been a couple months gone by. We need to start building our resume for the end of the season

Given the circumstances you are absolutely correct, and you also prove why this is not a Playoff at all. Having to impress the voters should be left to the Westminster Kennel Club.

image.jpeg.35ec8a0d9cece642590d0c6d40100999.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/31/2021 at 5:09 PM, Haywarduck said:

All I care about is taking care of next week.

Amen.  I think adopting Coach Cristobal's "Go 1-0 this week" fits.  

Mr. FishDuck

But unfortunately, TCB next Saturday means defeating a team that Michigan toyed with and a team that lost to an FCS school on its home field.

THIS is Oregon's problem. It has little to gain in victory and everything PO-wise, to lose in defeat. 

There are no 'make up' games in this conference.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ohio State put the points on teams they should have after losing to Oregon.  We make teams look better than they are, that is a fact.  If Oregon, had played up to their abilities, the ranking would have reflected that.  Otherwise, we are not playing to our talent level and coaching potential.  Like many other teams that are no longer ranked.

We should have never lost to Stanford.  That game was ours and if not for some COACHING decisions, we should have just won.  We gave Stanford the win by not trying to lose, poor calls and time outs.  Take responsibility for it Coach and move on.  Plan better and quit being your own WORST enemy.

On 10/31/2021 at 8:56 PM, EzDucksIt said:

We should have never lost to Stanford.  That game was ours and if not for some COACHING decisions, we should have just won.  We gave Stanford the win by not trying to lose, poor calls and time outs.  Take responsibility for it Coach and move on.  Plan better and quit being your own WORST enemy.

Let's me think about a couple reasons we could have lost but not blaming the coaches.

We lost our best RB CJ. The one we had been protecting because when he got hurt in previous years we had no one to replace him that could run between the tackles. He goes down after we had come back to take the lead.

We were driving the ball to kill the clock and possibly score again when we had a couple of penalties so we had to punt it back to them.

Still they only had 1 min left to go 96 yards after being shut down the whole half. They only had a 4% chance to get the win.

Then the" PAC's best " threw 3 questionable flags, the first one throwing out KD. The last 1 on the last play of the game with no time left.

Our defense was exhausted and we lose on the road in OT. Go figure.

• Thanks 1

Duck 1972,

Oregon's last scoring drive at Stanford went for 80 yds, took 2 minutes and 11 seconds putting Oregon up by 7 points.  Oregon's last possession took 5 minutes and 27 seconds off the clock and ended with a punt to Stanford's 13, leaving only a minute and 59 seconds left in the game.  Stanford had already burned two time outs during Oregon's last possession.

The penalties hurt Oregon but not as much as Oregon hurt themselves playing soft in the middle.  Oregon helped Stanford by taking a time out with 41 seconds on the clock and Stanford at Oregon's 32 yard line.  Would Oregon have won, had Cristobal not taken that time out and just letting them play?  I believe so, the pressure was on them to get it all right.  And if it was on us at the change of possession, they should have been prepared and advised their defensive leaders.  Oregon is not supposed to help them.

But I do get what you said about the time and the refs.  But Oregon has shown to do this often and for the last four years.  But He is a great recruiter.

On 11/1/2021 at 10:06 AM, Duck 1972 said:

Let's me think about a couple reasons we could have lost but not blaming the coaches.

We lost our best RB CJ. The one we had been protecting because when he got hurt in previous years we had no one to replace him that could run between the tackles. He goes down after we had come back to take the lead.

We were driving the ball to kill the clock and possibly score again when we had a couple of penalties so we had to punt it back to them.

Still they only had 1 min left to go 96 yards after being shut down the whole half. They only had a 4% chance to get the win.

Then the" PAC's best " threw 3 questionable flags, the first one throwing out KD. The last 1 on the last play of the game with no time left.

Our defense was exhausted and we lose on the road in OT. Go figure.

And those calls could easily cost the conference $6M. Oregon in the PO = $6M. 2nd Pac-12 team in Rose = $4M. Oregon in the Rose = $4M.

• Thanks 1