30Duck

But What if Illinois Beats Oregon?

Personally, I'll take the Fighting Ducks over the Fightin' Illini any day, particularly this Saturday.

WRITINGILLINI.COM

Seven games into the season, and the Illinois football team is in the hunt for the prestigious College Football Playoff. Those are words...

Please don't pee in my coffee...

Meanwhile, on a related topic; What if the sun explodes next week and how would that effect the playoff?

Perhaps it's not hyperbolic to say, "Just keep winning!"

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 5

Illinois this year strikes me kinda like Utah in the Pac-12. 

A good team, a physical team with an athletic quarterback and a strong run game. 

But I also feel like Lanning is going to have his team ready. It's in Autzen and that should help. I think in many ways we are built to counter this type of team but the key will be keeping their quarterback bottled up. 

• Thumbs Up 3

On 10/22/2024 at 11:05 AM, anyotherduck said:

What if the sun explodes next week

What if Missouri beats Alabama? Something will definitely explode then.

• Haha 1
  • Mic drop 1

I hadn't thought about the Illini keeping us out of the conference championship, but realistically they are the last team on our schedule that could possibly do it. 

Who would have thought they would be our second most important B1G game this year?

On 10/22/2024 at 2:12 PM, 30Duck said:

Caption for the posted photo: 'Brother, I tried Weight Watchers and so should you!'

In the preseason I scoffed at two preseason computer predictions. The first was ALgorithm predicting a close win against Boise State. This will Never Happen, LOL! 😒

The Same AL predicted Illinois would defeat Oregon. GULP!

Incinerate Illinois!

• Yikes! 2

On 10/22/2024 at 11:12 AM, 30Duck said:

The Alabama fan base, closely followed by Paul Fineman's and Kalen DeBoer's brain pans.

And yeah, Illinois is a little like Utah but without the tough as nails attitude and likeable coach. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Not to totally digress from the topic at hand but a caller on Feinbaum's show yesterday said that no matter what it takes, the Alabama donors need to buy out Dan Lanning's contract and the caller wanted him in Tuscaloosa by Tuesday night.

Anyone monitoring the Eugene to Tuscaloosa private flights???????

• Haha 2

On 10/22/2024 at 11:52 AM, Augduck said:

Not to totally digress from the topic at hand but a caller on Feinbaum's show yesterday said that no matter what it takes, the Alabama donors need to buy out Dan Lanning's contract and the caller wanted him in Tuscaloosa by Tuesday night.

Anyone monitoring the Eugene to Tuscaloosa private flights???????

Why would DL destroy his career by going to that dumpster fire…lol

• Haha 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 1

On 10/22/2024 at 11:12 AM, 30Duck said:

Can this please happen?!

• Let’s hope! 1

On 10/22/2024 at 12:00 PM, Drake said:

Why would DL destroy his career by going to that dumpster fire…lol

For sure but you know how some Alabama fans are (answer- delusional).   I am sure they have posted a 'for sale' sign on DeBoer's front lawn.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/22/2024 at 11:21 AM, Solar said:

I hadn't thought about the Illini keeping us out of the conference championship, but realistically they are the last team on our schedule that could possibly do it. 

Who would have thought they would be our second most important B1G game this year?

I think this will be a much easier game at home, than Wis in Madison. Mich could be a trip up game as well. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

I have watched Illinois play twice, and while they have a good team, they are not a great team.  By their own admission, they have lightweight defensive tackles at 270 lbs. vs. 329 and 320 for Oregon. (That alone helps our running game enormously) They DO have some good edge-rushers, but I think Conerly/Cornelius will largely keep them in check.

Their run-blocking is good, but their receivers are going to seem pedestrian for our DBs compared to Ohio State's.  Their QB is a good runner, but I expect Devon Jackson to be assigned to him as a spy, and with his speed--the QB is not going far.

We will pack the box with eight defenders, and go one-on-one with their WRs with our DBs, and thus I do not see their offense outscoring OBD at Autzen. My prediction score will be on Friday....

Of course I have been known to

miscalculate....

giphy.gif

• Haha 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

If I was going to compare Illinois to a former Pac-12er, I'd go with Arizona, Some good players, usually good for 8 or 9 wins. You can't look past them, but this is one where Oregon's biggest opponent is definitely Oregon.

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

You never want to underestimate an opponent with a 6 - 1 record.

The BIG is really going to be schedule dependent for decent teams. You can rack up wins against the middle and bottom, but the top teams are always going to be difficult. 

That is the way I see Illinois this year. Their signature win is against? … Michigan maybe, but those hole diggers are in desperate need of an offense. 

I think this will be a tighter game than the spread suggests and Illinois is a very good team. What we may have to get used to because this is pretty new is that the Ducks are a very complete team including a mountain of depth we haven't seen before. In the end the Ducks will have answers to the challenges they face and the problems they impose will just be too much to deal with. I'm expecting a fun game to watch with a satisfactory outcome in the end.

As to the other topic on this thread, Danny Boy has Uncle Phil uh I mean the Ducks sitting at number one in the country and nobody will be able to pry this coach away from him uh I mean them.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Illinois is very solid.  Not elite.  They don't have enough team speed, and they're not as physical as OBD.

That said, they have a QB that can hurt you if you don't pressure him.  He's mobile enough to buy time, and scramble down-field.

Their defense will be their problem.  They can't handle an explosive offense.  They will lose like Iowa lost to Ohio State. 

The point spread is on the number.  OBD will cover if and only if we either completely shut them down, or decide to drop forty points on them.  

The first quarters are what we want to look at.  Killer instinct, high execution, and completing assignments. Those are the tells within that time frame on whether the team is improving this week.

Nothing against Illinois, but like Indiana, they just don't have the firepower to go the distance with an elite team like OBD. It's Oregon against Oregon Saturday.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

The only way this happens is if OBD beats Oregon Ducks!   I think DL and team have learned that lesson in the past couple of years and doubt it will happen again, plus the Autzen crowd won't let them.   The stupid losses last 2 years - at Rodents, at Puppies and in Vegas all happened away from home.   The loss to Puppies at home 2 years ago was caused by Nix's injury.

Edited by DuckFan93
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/22/2024 at 4:26 PM, Drake said:

You never want to underestimate an opponent with a 6 - 1 record.

The BIG is really going to be schedule dependent for decent teams. You can rack up wins against the middle and bottom, but the top teams are always going to be difficult. 

That is the way I see Illinois this year. Their signature win is against? … Michigan maybe, but those hole diggers are in desperate need of an offense. 

Illinois is 3-13 all-time vs. No. 1 opponents.

The last of the 3 wins came in Columbus on 11/10/2007. The No. 13 Illini matched up vs. No. 7 USC in the 2008 Rose Bowl. USC 49 - Illini 17. 

This will be Illinois's first match-up against a No. 1 team other than Ohio State since 1972. 

The 6-1 Illini's lone loss came on the road against No. 3 Penn State, 7 - 21. Illinois scored on its first possession and did not score again. Illinois is 3-1 vs teams in the top 25 when they played Illinois. 19 Kansas, 22 Nebraska lost to Illinois in OT, and 24 Michigan.

• Thumbs Up 1

Illinois will come into Autzen with alot of confidence and a good team.

For me it stops right there. The only elite team or even really good team they played in 2024 was PSU.

The rest of that schedule is light and Boise State would be 6-1 also with that schedule. They did go on the road and best Nebraska. So they can play in a hostile environment.

However, the disparity in talent and the super hostile Autzen environment will make this difficult for Illinois.

OBD's need to play their game, play clean but mean and end any hope of a CFP invite for them.

GO DUCKS .    ...........

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Applause 1

OBD by 23

• Thumbs Up 1

The Illini gave up 49 points in their overtime win over Purdue. Chances are the Duck is going to be doing a few pushups Saturday.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

It's going to be hard for Illionois to win if they show up on Saturday only to find out the game has been moved to Friday night.

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Illinois’ offense could create some unique problems for Oregon’s defense on Saturday.

• Haha 1
  • Mic drop 1

Junior quarterback Luke Altmyer is having a great season with his 66 completion percentage 

66% get out of here, 66%!

Dillon Gabriel 84%

On 10/22/2024 at 11:08 AM, David Marsh said:

Illinois this year strikes me kinda like Utah in the Pac-12. 

A good team, a physical team with an athletic quarterback and a strong run game. 

But I also feel like Lanning is going to have his team ready. It's in Autzen and that should help. I think in many ways we are built to counter this type of team but the key will be keeping their quarterback bottled up. 

And on the defensive side, let’s not forget they gave up 49 points….. to Purdue, a team that we shut out on their home field.

Then, Bret B. moves into the lead as Head Coach of the Year.  (Taint gunna 'appen).

Currently The Number One team in the country

At Home.

Halfway through the 8 game B1G gauntlet.

Dynamic, innovative, coaching staff-laser focused on the programs goals and aspirations.

TEAM that has bought in and exudes the confidence in each other AND themselves.

Oregon vs. Oregon.

FEBU.

YEAH, the Illini Will give OBD their Best Shot, may even lead for a while early.  But in the end this team will "take care of business at home" and send the Illini off with their second loss of the season, with a much clearer picture of what they have to do in Champagne to be able to compete at the level of OBD.

GO MIGHTY OREGON!

Incinerate the Illini!

🦆🏈🪨's

Edited by MicroBurst61
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1