Charles Fischer

Oregon AD Rob Mullens Unhappy with Miami: "Never Contacted"

Please... Mullens pretending to have been caught with his pants down is not a good look. 10:1 he's been hearing about this possibility for at least 3 weeks. If he was actually blindsided, shame on him. Deals like this are always leaked.

Perhaps Mullens needs to wake up to the fact that "We live in a cynical world. A cynical world. And we work in a business of tough competitors." - Jerry Maguire 1996

Edited by Desert Duck
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/6/2021 at 4:47 PM, Desert Duck said:

Jerry Maguire 1996

image.jpeg.48ce0be90c536fa33e73f02a873e7421.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/6/2021 at 5:52 PM, 30Duck said:

image.jpeg.48ce0be90c536fa33e73f02a873e7421.jpeg

It's still a classic... with a lot of truth.

Please... Mullens pretending to have been caught with his pants down is not a good look. 

Desert Duck, I didn’t get the hit that Mullens didn’t see it coming,  I got the hit he was miffed by the lack of courtesy and decorum from Miami.

And ya gotta admit, it was pretty much a sh*t show the way it went down.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 2

My guess is that there is an unofficial norm for situation; courtesy, maintaining good relations, etc. You let the other guy know. 

ADs at this level are a select few who probably want to remain collegial.  

Sounds as if Miami is challenged in this respect considering how they treated Diaz. 

I can believe Mullens. It’s not like he has ESPN or something. 🙂

A little better edited

5wwd19.jpg

Canzano was drawing a distinction today between Miami boosters, who were pushing for Mario to bolt, and the Board of Trustees who were in favor of retaining Diaz.  Official notice from Miami might not have come earlier because the Trustees were not in favor.  Maybe.

Apparently, it was until last night/this morning that the Trustees got completely boat raced by the boosters.  Florida is a messed up state in so many ways.

Edited by geoquack

On 12/6/2021 at 4:57 PM, PittDuck said:

New low the way Diaz was treated.

Per Pete Thamel Yahoo Sports ;  What Miami did to head coach Manny Diaz on Sunday is the type of egregious mismanagement that happens when grand ambitions turn blind. To leave your football coach dangling for an entire day while you wait to potentially fire him — or maybe not — is a terrible look. A lot of people around college athletics were laughing at Miami on Sunday while feeling awful for Diaz, who twisted in the wind in a cruel fashion. He ultimately was fired Monday morning during a meeting with Miami's president. 

Before that meeting, Diaz didn’t hear from any Miami officials all day regarding his job, according to sources. He got a commitment from a player on Saturday. On Sunday, he got marched out to the plank for the world to see.

Diaz’s buyout has been reported in the $8 million range. No one is going to shed many tears for him, but the whole thing was generally uncomfortable.

On a pure, cold-blooded business level, Miami’s brashness and callousness also showed that the new regime at Miami doesn’t care about feelings. Judge that how you may. Miami has come to a sudden realization about how far behind its program is and the new leaders aren’t going to care about bad optics and hurt feelings.

full article: https://sports.yahoo.com/miami-shows-newfound-boldness-in-pursuing-oregons-mario-cristobal-but-its-treatment-of-current-coach-manny-diaz-is-cruel-040909763.html

• Thumbs Up 2

Because you can believe everything everyone says in Florida?  Or by everyone in a position of power or influence?

Good luck with that.

Edited by Duck1984

In this day and age of college football every AD should have a prepared list of HC candidates ready at the end of any successful season,

because you know somebody is coming after yours.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/6/2021 at 10:51 PM, Wood Duck said:

In this day and age of college football every AD should have a prepared list of HC candidates ready at the end of any successful season,

because you know somebody is coming after yours.

Was this a successful Duck season? I watched every game. All but a few felt like a lose. Most of the time I was flipping back and forth desperately searching for inspired football. I am glad MC is gone. 

I saw a lot of inspiring play by the players. And I will take a 10/3 season over a losing season.

Yes the championship game was s**ty but we still have a game to play and the practice that comes with it. It will only help our young players.

Remember Miami doesn't have an AD, probably a good reason why their AD didn't call Mullens.

• Thumbs Up 1

Checkmate

Did Bohn at SC call Oklahoma and ask permission to interview Riley? No. This is Big Business. Act like a man and not a whiny baby.

BTW, maybe this time you can hire someone who was a head coach in the P5 and has a winning record?

Why is Mullens job safe?

• Thumbs Up 1

Please... Mullens pretending to have been caught with his pants down is not a good look.

I think he was upset by the lack of normal protocol in the process. From the sound of it Mullens and Phil were ready for if this happened. I think it is Mullens vocalizing the breaking of the norm of contacting the athletic department. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/6/2021 at 5:57 PM, PittDuck said:

Desert Duck, I didn’t get the hit that Mullens didn’t see it coming,  I got the hit he was miffed by the lack of courtesy and decorum from Miami.

You are correct. But this is big business and that phone call often no longer comes. Plus, it's Miami and I'm pretty sure they sort of live in a world where no rules exist.

What a nasty place to try and coach a football team.

Edited by Desert Duck
  • Thumbs Up 1

It’s not surprising that Miami would not extend the courtesy of letting Mullen know they were talking to Mario.  Remember this is a program that has had repeated recruiting violations in 1990’s and 2002-2011, leading to three years probation in 2013. They have a booster community that cuts corners.  And, I’m old enough to remember the years cocaine dealers laundered money left and right through South Florida businesses and real estate.  Those who sold their homes for piles of cash, looking the other way, have a mindset that rules don’t necessarily apply to them.  Just because Mario is a man of integrity and hopefully will not allow that doesn’t mean others are.  

Per Jon Wilner

Representatives of Cristobal and Miami had been deeply engaged for weeks.

Lesson, don't play poker with MC

On 12/7/2021 at 11:02 AM, Lucca0923 said:

Just because Mario is a man of integrity

That took a BIG hit with his "backdoor negotiating" with the U while it still had a coach.  Plus, leveraging his on-the-table extension against both sides. 

Although that is the game all schools/agents/coaches are playing, doesn't mean just because everyone else is doing it doesn't mean Cristobal had to.