cartm25

Caleb Williams Commits to USC

That's too bad.

A close UGA game with top 25 wins against BYU, UU and USC in the PAC championship could land UO in the CFP.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/1/2022 at 9:24 AM, cartm25 said:

Matt Prehm is in the "denial" stage right now. Won't be long before he reaches the "acceptance" stage

I don't think "denial" is accurate when it comes to his description of SC's lines. They weren't good during Helton's time, and Riley has brought in a lot of "Skill" players via the Portal. But not so many "Big Uglies" on either line.

• Thumbs Up 1

Riley can work  the portal for big uglies after spring ball.  That said how many years have passed since USC started the same QB all season?  They have a lot of injuries and all the depth transferred out.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/1/2022 at 9:24 AM, cartm25 said:

Matt Prehm is in the "denial" stage right now. Won't be long before he reaches the "acceptance" stage

USC has been recruiting smaller lineman for the past few years because Cristobal kept out recruiting them for linemen. They don't have bad linemen but they have linemen built for an air raid offense and can be easily out muscled. The lines at USC are their greatest weakness by far and so far it doesn't look like it is an area that has been addressed. Oregon has some problems on the lines but I'd argue that has been more an issue of position coaching and scheme. 

• Thumbs Up 2

It's about time the auction closed. USC did have a highly rated OL last season. 4 of the guys are back. I look for many the SC shoot out in 2022.

On 2/1/2022 at 9:36 AM, McDuck said:

Riley can work  the portal for big uglies after spring ball.  That said how many years have passed since USC started the same QB all season?  They have a lot of injuries and all the depth transferred out.

They havea lot of injuries because their big ugliest fail at the one job they have:

"PROTECT YOUR QUARTERBACK!"

On 2/1/2022 at 9:41 AM, cartm25 said:

I think USC will be much better and very soon, and IMO that does not do the Ducks any favors.

I can certainly understand your thinking here. I would argue that for Playoff purposes, a stronger Pac-12 conference only helps Oregon. Oregon is remote enough already, add a weak conference and Oregon's chances shrink even more. This season Oregon could benefit from USC's return to prominence w/o having to face them until possibly the conference championship game. 

• Thumbs Up 2

For some reason I love the idea the beavs and the trojans are getting stronger. There is nothing better than beating those programs when their hopes are up. The dawgs I kind of just enjoy seeing them suffer as the pathetic program they have become, and maybe someday will begin to realize.

On 2/1/2022 at 10:46 AM, cartm25 said:

I jumped over to the USC roster and every O-Lineman is tall, and nearly all are over 300 pounds. ..

Those tall O-Linemen might have to work harder to get their center of gravity lower than the defenders, though. "It's all about leverage." 😉

• Thumbs Up 2

On 2/1/2022 at 12:01 PM, Jon Joseph said:

It's about time the auction closed. USC did have a highly rated OL last season. 4 of the guys are back. I look for many the SC shoot out in 2022.

USC's O-line was actually fairly good last season, just not a lot of depth.  The D-line is the biggest issue at this point, and I'm sure that Riley has a plan.  I don't think it's a profound statement to say that more top-tier athletes will now be attracted to USC now, especially with CW being there the next two years. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I knew the lower quality cheese in Wisconsin would run him off.

On 2/1/2022 at 1:14 PM, 30Duck said:

I can certainly understand your thinking here. I would argue that for Playoff purposes, a stronger Pac-12 conference only helps Oregon. Oregon is remote enough already, add a weak conference and Oregon's chances shrink even more. This season Oregon could benefit from USC's return to prominence w/o having to face them until possibly the conference championship game. 

It is critical that more than 1 school in the Pac-12 finishes in the top 15, at least. Clemson has the benefit of being on the Right Coast. Also the benefit of having the ACC Network owned and operated by ESPN.

On 2/1/2022 at 3:01 PM, Just Ducky said:

I knew the lower quality cheese in Wisconsin would run him off.

Dang, then he should have gone to Oregon for the Tillamook. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I hope that a strong USC helps the whole conference. Will it be tougher to get some recruits to leave Cali. Probably, but Oregon has the best facilities in the NCAA, great fan support and a staff filled with great recruiters.

Oregon should still do well recruiting and now (with some thanks to MC) has a national profile. 

With Utah now a power in the conference, even OSU and others improving, I don't think it's going to be USC and everybody else trying to catch up any time soon. 

And won't it be sweet to beat USC when they are good!

• Thumbs Up 2

On 2/1/2022 at 10:46 AM, cartm25 said:

I jumped over to the USC roster and every O-Lineman is tall, and nearly all are over 300 pounds

Trusting roster weight listings for OLs is a bit like trusting roster height listings for basketball.

• Haha 2

On 2/2/2022 at 9:37 PM, McDuck said:

Wonder what a Rattler OU helmet goes for on the secondary market?

• Like 1