Charles Fischer

Actions Speak: Danno Concerned About the Defensive Line

Bringing in two defensive linemen from the Portal tells me that Coach Lanning is concerned about the depth and talent on the defensive line.  I think it is warranted, because after Dorlus and Popo...the depth has a ton of inexperience, AND they are very light in weight as I pointed out a few times last fall.

I read somewhere that Taki from the north was brought in to start?  Ah, how many defensive tackles are we going to have?  I thought Dorlus and Popo were starters there?  Note he was not going after DE/OLBs in the Portal, but defensive tackles.  Now this 5-Star DT becomes available?

Behold the Lanning-Love that awaits him!

You want me to tell to you about

Oregon?

giphy.gif

Mr. FishDuck

Iuli’s two-way versatility looking more valuable all the time.

• Like 1

Maybe he's going to line up 3 giant DTs and have them maul the opposing team's OL all game long??  lol

On 2/3/2022 at 1:57 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Bringing in two defensive linemen from the Portal tells me that Coach Lanning is concerned about the depth and talent on the defensive line.  I think it is warranted, because after Dorlus and Popo...the depth has a ton of inexperience, AND they are very light in weight as I pointed out a few times last fall.

I read somewhere that Taki from the north was brought in to start?  Ah, how many defensive tackles are we going to have?  I thought Dorlus and Popo were starters there?  Note he was not going after DE/OLBs in the Portal, but defensive tackles.  Now this 5-Star DT becomes available?

Behold the Lanning-Love that awaits him!

You want me to tell to you about

Oregon?

giphy.gif

I guess the cat wanted a Coke? (LOL, Come On Man! funny.)

Great example of where the portal can be your friend. David Marsh article was spot on, recruiting still trumps portal-picking but the portal if nothing else is a great way to build depth. Georgia has substituted a lot of quality guys on the DL since Smart's arrival in Athens. Dan Lanning followed his mentor. You assemble a quality group of DL guys in the Pac-12 and you are well ahead of the game. 

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

We don't want anyone fat and happy, we want large, dominating and competitive. Bigs need bigs, and I remember some of our best d-lines were at the multiple NFL level talent. Ngata and Igor, Deforest and Arik were a time with the LB's we have now would have been an epic defense. Mr. Lanning knows he doesn't have all the ingredients just yet.

Speed and size at DB, strength, size and mobility at LB and dominating size and power on the D-line. We have had a few of the components, but Dan is going to put it all together along with shrewd play calling. Anticipation may just align with outcomes, wouldn't that be nice!

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

On 2/3/2022 at 2:21 PM, kirklandduck said:

Maybe he's going to line up 3 giant DTs and have them maul the opposing team's OL all game long??  lol

What a difference it made in last week's champ game when the Rams lined up 4 and sometimes 5, quality DL guys, face to face with the 49ers OL. The normally robust 49ers run game was shut down. This is what Dan Lanning did from time to time at UGA. He probably has the same idea at Oregon and he will work hard to get his kind of DL guys. You couple 80 plays a game O with smash mouth D and watch out Pac-12.

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • Like 1

Can’t remember the Ducks ever having a D line full of 4 and 5 stars let alone quality depth. Hard to do all the other things that make a great D if you don’t have the Bulls up front. Not expecting to have Georgia talent but an improvement is always good.

go 🦆🦆🦆s

• Thumbs Up 2

On 2/3/2022 at 1:39 PM, Just Ducky said:

Can’t remember the Ducks ever having a D line full of 4 and 5 stars let alone quality depth. Hard to do all the other things that make a great D if you don’t have the Bulls up front. Not expecting to have Georgia talent but an improvement is always good.

go 🦆🦆🦆s

I fully expect to have Georgia talent. I think Lanning expects to have Georgia talent. Oregon is as attractive a place as any school in the country. MC proved that. Lanning is determined to take it to the next level. 

Oregon has had DL's undivided attention for less than a month and look at the results. This dude is just getting started. What Oregon fans are about to experience is something we have never known. Not even under CK. I am having more fun as a Duck fan than I ever have and we haven't even gotten close to game day.

• Thumbs Up 2

Recruiting defensive line is so hard, and Danno is going to see how hard it is to pull the Big-Boys away from Mama's cooking in the South.

I would be looking in Hawaii and Samoa as well....

Mr. FishDuck

Get mama Sewell on the payroll as lead recruiter of the island's. 😁

• Thumbs Up 2

On 2/3/2022 at 1:39 PM, Just Ducky said:

go 🦆🦆🦆s

Which begs the question, what exactly is Georgia talent? The mountain in the middle of Georgia's D Line, Jordan Davis was a three star.

I'd say the Ducks have plenty of stars on both sides of the ball at this point. What they need now is to be coached up to their max abilities and be given a winning strategy to execute.

I'd say Lanning is on it on both fronts.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 2/3/2022 at 4:19 PM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

The mountain in the middle of Georgia's D Line, Jordan Davis was a three star.

A very talented 360 pound 3-Star....again you can find guys that big, but strong, athletic and quick?  Georgia is in the middle of the prime recruiting ground for D-Linemen, and it is quick and easy to get there in the Southeast.

Levitt wanted to run a true 3-4 defense, but could not get the Nose Tackle out of the South he needed.  He tried, and we were close...

Mr. FishDuck

On 2/3/2022 at 4:39 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Levitt wanted to run a true 3-4 defense, but could not get the Nose Tackle out of the South he needed.  He tried, and we were close...

Thankfully, Levitt is no longer here. Something tells me this defensive staff is two or three steps ahead of where Levitt ever was!.... Oh, and I liked Levitt,

On 2/3/2022 at 11:26 AM, Jon Joseph said:

I guess the cat wanted a Coke? (LOL, Come On Man! funny.)

Great example of where the portal can be your friend. David Marsh article was spot on, recruiting still trumps portal-picking but the portal if nothing else is a great way to build depth. Georgia has substituted a lot of quality guys on the DL since Smart's arrival in Athens. Dan Lanning followed his mentor. You assemble a quality group of DL guys in the Pac-12 and you are well ahead of the game. 

Cat wasn't a Leavitt fan?

Jordon Scott was a try for Oregon as a Mountain in the Middle of the D Line But never materialized as that. As a freshman in 2017 he was 333 LBS, but as a senior, he was at 311.

I always think back to "what might have been" 2003, when the Ducks opened the season up from with:

6-6 310 Igor Olshansky

6-5 345 Haloti Ngata

6-5 340 Junior Siavii

6-4 262 Devan Long

I think 6-1 310 pound Robby Valenzuela was in the DT rotation (and the "little guy" in the group, Long, I believe still is 4th all-time in Duck football career sacks and 3rd all-time in career tackles for loss).

These many years, it has stuck with me the TV analyst, in the pregame, prior to the kickoff at Mississippi State, saying he walked past the Duck DL warming up and thought he was walking past an NFL DL.

Of course Haloti gets knocked out for the year in the first half, and the Ducks end up with an up-and-down 8-5 year, and that monster front never gets to completely show itself off.

Igor goes on to be a second round NFL draft pick and is a multi-year starter over 8 NFL seasons, Haloti of course goes first round and plays 13 seasons including five Pro Bowls, Siavii battles injuries but plays five NFL seasons; and, I believe Long even has a cup of coffee as an UDFA and his career ends in injury while trying to make his way back to the NFL playing in NFL Europe.

On 2/3/2022 at 5:09 PM, AnotherOD said:

I always think back to "what might have been" 2003, when the Ducks opened the season up from with:

6-6 310 Igor Olshansky

6-5 345 Haloti Ngata

6-5 340 Junior Siavii

6-4 262 Devan Long

I think 6-1 310 pound Robby Valenzuela was in the DT rotation (and the "little guy" in the group, Long, I believe still is 4th all-time in Duck football career sacks and 3rd all-time in career tackles for loss).

These many years, it has stuck with me the TV analyst, in the pregame, prior to the kickoff at Mississippi State, saying he walked past the Duck DL warming up and thought he was walking past an NFL DL.

Of course Haloti gets knocked out for the year in the first half, and the Ducks end up with an up-and-down 8-5 year, and that monster front never gets to completely show itself off.

Igor goes on to be a second round NFL draft pick and is a multi-year starter over 8 NFL seasons, Haloti of course goes first round and plays 13 seasons including five Pro Bowls, Siavii battles injuries but plays five NFL seasons; and, I believe Long even has a cup of coffee as an UDFA and his career ends in injury while trying to make his way back to the NFL playing in NFL Europe.

Didn't Haloti's season ending injury occur in the first half of the first game of the season on a special teams play and was an unflagged illegal hit?

I remember thinking to myself....Haloti on special teams, why?  But I am old and may be hyperbolizing the event.

If I'm remembering correctly, the ducks had adopted "the shield" punt formation (which had just hit the football world in a major way in 2002 in place of the "spread" punt formation - any special teams experts in the house?). Haloti was part of the three person group directly blocking in front of the punter.

The punt gets away and Haloti gets hit chasing the play. I don't think the hit ever shows up on any replay angle but indeed it was either first quarter (or first half).

On 2/3/2022 at 5:02 PM, 30Duck said:

Jordon Scott was a try for Oregon as a Mountain in the Middle of the D Line But never materialized as that. As a freshman in 2017 he was 333 LBS, but as a senior, he was at 311.

Loved Jordan and am grateful he came and helped us out. The problem was he was always shorter than his stats showed, but had a great heart.

I believe they wanted him to lose weight and be faster. He was supposed to have a monster season but it didn't happen.

On 2/3/2022 at 5:09 PM, AnotherOD said:

6-6 310 Igor Olshansky

6-5 345 Haloti Ngata

6-5 340 Junior Siavii

6-4 262 Devan Long

Don't know if y'all know, but Junior Siavii has met a sad end.

• Thanks 1