FishDuck Article

Learning Lanning Laws: “Today We Create HAVOC”

When you watch Georgia's D, they are just lethal!  You can't play on your heels on D and expect to strike fear into your opponents and Lanning's D fly to the ball in swarms and makes you feel their difference. That Bulldog D took over the 4th quarter of the national championship game and put Bama DOWN!  Now if Dan can bring even 3/4's of that to Oregon and we can get some legit space crushing SEC sized DT's, we'll own the PAC.  USC will quit, before they'll get hit the way Lanning's D's at Georgia punish.  That I can promise you! 

It took Georgia a handful of years to find an offense and that may have been what cost them a couple national titles.  Let's hope Dillingham is the next Lane Kiffin, because I don't think there's anyway our D wont be very good! 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 2/21/2022 at 2:31 PM, Southern Duck said:

USC will quit, before they'll get hit the way Lanning's D's at Georgia punish.  That I can promise you! 

Fight On < Fight Off

On 2/21/2022 at 2:31 PM, Southern Duck said:

Now if Dan can bring even 3/4's of that to Oregon

This "Havoc-Rate" stat has been around a few years and most coaches are aware of it, especially now with Georgia's success.  But trying to implement it is another thing and only one man knows best in how to do it, because he's done it....

And we got-him!

• Thumbs Up 4

Mr. FishDuck

On 2/21/2022 at 5:39 PM, 30Duck said:

Fight On < Fight Off

Maybe? I'm concerned that SC will leave the Pac-12? An NBC Notre dame-like deal could be in the works for USC?

On 2/21/2022 at 7:37 PM, Jon Joseph said:

An NBC Notre dame-like deal could be in the works for USC?

This seems very plausible, and the only thing worse for Oregon in the Pac-12 with USC would be Oregon in a Pac-12 without USC. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/21/2022 at 2:27 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Great comment. You beat me to it!

Marc Antony, from the play 'Julius Caesar.' I'm embarrassed I had to look this up? Thought is was a line from Hank 5? "Cry 'havoc' and let slip the dogs of war," was a line from Antony's funeral oration for Julius Caesar in the play, Julius Caesar, writ by The Bard.

A better line than Antony's finish and eventual loss to Octavian.

Antony and friend Cleopatra was the rest of CFB versus Octavian's SEC,

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Haha 1

On 2/21/2022 at 9:49 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Something that came up in my research surprised me, and it is how this approach will make you take a step back in some statistics, but it creates a larger margin of victory or a better chance at winning.

For example, if we have more explosion plays on offense that creates short TOP (time of possession) of a number of drives...then the opposing offense will have more TOP than usual and more possessions during the game to score with.  (This is crucial for us to understand)

A Havoc-Defense can add to that....create short fields for the easy offensive scoring from turnovers, as well as the occasional fumble returned for a TD, or a pick-six generated from blitzing pressure which forces a bad throw by the opposing QB.

*****Thus, the opposing offense could actually end up scoring MORE than on a prevent-defense because of the extra possessions, but the winning margin is much bigger for the victor with the game not being in doubt in the second half.  This is a concept I did not "get" for a long time, and one that most Oregon fans are not aware of either.

I think you're correct, Charles, in saying, "Most fans."  But for those of us who've been more than just casually invested over these many years, I believe it's not a difficult concept to grasp. We've been exposed to it before.  While Chip's offenses were scoring every minute and thirty seconds, we knew that the D was spending more time on the field than before and therefore was bound to give up a few more points along the way.

This was the first time Oregon employed actual depth, instead of the 2's always being on the bench, only playing because of injury or very brief rests for the starters.  It's the heart of the golden age, so far, of Oregon Football. For a brief few years we we're (very often) so far ahead of the competition that the young guys (especially on defense) got to play significant minutes and get ready for their future starting assignments.

I'm still impressed how Nick Aliotti adapted to the blur offense. It's one thing to have to deal with it as an opposing DC. But Aliotti had to live with it in his own house.  The idea of not worrying about total yardage given up, but to clamp down like a vise in the red zone paid so many dividends for Oregon. I don't think many Oregon fans appreciated that until Nick was gone.

• Thumbs Up 6

"Havoc" makes the old term "smashmouth" sound so pedestrian and antiquated.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2