McDuck

Rumored $8 Million NIL Deal for 5-Star QB Recruit

Stuart Mandel in The Atlantic.  The article is behind a paywall but the first few paragraphs are available and worth reading.

Speculation is Nico Iamalelva Jr, who recruiting services had trending towards the Ducks, will be heading to Knoxvill, TN rather than Eugene.  All conjecture at this point in time but indicative of the disaster facing college football.

GettyImages-1363907880-1024x683.jpg
THEATHLETIC.COM

Two NIL experts The Athletic spoke to believe this deal is the largest individual NIL deal signed by a non-professional athlete.

Stupid money, if anyone was wondering if dumb decisions were going to continue. Brilliant on the student athletes part, as there is no guarantee the pundits are right about the student athletes value. Anyone remember DJ and his Dr. Pepper deal?

842709686.jpg
WWW.ROCKYTOPTALK.COM

UPDATE: Steve Wiltfong of 247Sports has put in a crystal ball projection for Iamaleava to Tennessee. The timing is pretty interesting here, considering what news just came out. Per...

Can’t say the Volunteers aren’t trying.

Heard a comedian say that anybody driving faster than me on the freeway is an idiotic and unsafe driver. NIL is like that .... anything above what the Ducks are willing to do is stupid and bad for college football!

• Haha 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

Another Pac-12 assistant said he’s worried about the future of college football.

“Disheartening, really,” the coach said. “College football will never be the same, and I believe you will see some good men get out of the profession if it isn’t cleaned up or regulated.”

NILfriday.jpg
WWW.ON3.COM

A report says a five-star recruit has signed a multimillion NIL deal. Coaches say the deal would be a game-changer, and not in a good way.

On 3/12/2022 at 7:47 AM, LADuck said:

Heard a comedian say that anybody driving faster than me on the freeway is an idiotic and unsafe driver. NIL is like that .... anything above what the Ducks are willing to do is stupid and bad for college football!

Anyone driving over the known allowed speed is an idiot, or can be considered reckless. I actually love when I see someone going over 10 MPH over the speed limit on the freeway. I know I can bump my speed up and have no worries.

The problem with NIL is there isn't a posted speed limit, nor a known, accepted limit for paying like in the SEC. We don't even know if it is reckless, although the agreement with DJ didn't seem to turn out too well for anyone.

On 3/12/2022 at 9:47 AM, LADuck said:

George Carlin..."Ever notice that anyone going slower than you is a moron, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac"

Honk, Honk, C'mon you moron!!!   Whoa, look at that maniac go!!!

Edited by JDuck
  • Haha 4
  • Like 1

The VOLS no longer have to pass money to recruits in McDonalds bags. TN ran a pay-for-pay program. prior to NIL. Think the NCAA will follow up on this?

THIS is CFB today. Either the boosters step up with this kind of cash or top drawer players will not be matriculating at your school.

CFB needs a salary cap, control on free agency, more stringent restrictions on roster tampering, and a high school draft with negotiated salaries for 1st year players. In order for this to happen there has to be a players union with which to negotiate. If this happens and football is not outsourced to a 3rd party(ies), football players will become employees.

Can an employee be dropped to 2nd string without an administrative hearing? Can schools afford to pay FUTA, FICA, health insurance premiums, retirement benefits, etc. to these employees? If so, at what cost to Olympic sports? And how does all of 'this' fit with Title IX?

The NCAA is done regulating big time CFB. Unless Congress steps in, something like the above described NFL-Lite will happen and it will happen sooner rather than latter. And many the school offering athletic scholarships to CFB and CBB players will cease doing so. In turn, many other varsity sport, such as golf, tennis, swimming, etc. will become club activities. 

DGU and Dr. Pepper is an example of a bad deal. One would expect the marketplace to react after a number of bad NIL deals are made. But this is college football with fanatics with ridiculous money; fanatics not concerned with a traditional ROI approach. I expect to see no market correction.

With the BCS, CFB sold part of its soul. This sale has followed the predictable course; greed and the love of money ruining an afternoon entertainment event many of us fervently followed for decades.

From the 'average fans' perspective, does your school's coach making millions of dollars a year instead of tens to hundreds of thousands of dollars, make the game better? Do scores more administrators being involved and richly paid make the game better? Do waterfalls in the locker room make the game better? Do kickoff times that have you arriving back home after midnight make the game better? Has the SEC post-BCS growing from just another conference to becoming CFB dominant make the game better?

In my case, all of the above questions are rhetorical.

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

Is a player who gets $5 million before he even sets foot on a field going to give his all when it comes to playing football?

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Seems to me that that kind of $$$  could possibly put a big target on a player especially a QB.

He better have a good, make that great) O-Line and be a good tipper.  Can you imagine the incentive for the D's to crush him.

Oh, and then if he makes "the show", not a lot of D-linemen will appreciate a kid who made more in college than they will make in their career.

The only reason, and I mean only, the NFL doesn't spend like idiots is because of the salary cap. The Billionaires who are owners in the NFL know if they didn't have rules the NIL deals would look like child's play. 

Completely agree what we are seeing with Texas A&M and Tennessee is daylight being shined on what was already part of southern football. The good news is many of these programs are proof stupid money creates stupid outcomes.

• Thumbs Up 5

This thread has made me wonder if Nix is getting an extra pay check?

On 3/12/2022 at 11:13 AM, 1Ducker1 said:

This thread has made me wonder if Nix is getting an extra pay check?

It is my understanding he is taking a pay cut to try and get into the NFL 😉.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

For every Cam Newton that’s all about the $$$, there will be a Casey Mathews waiting to knock him into oblivion.

Edited by The Kamikaze Kid
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 3/12/2022 at 11:20 AM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

For every Cam Newton that’s all about the $$$, there will be a Casey Mathews waiting to knock him into oblivion.

And finding those Casey Mathews type players will become even more important as these are the players who will perform at a high level. 

On 3/12/2022 at 10:02 AM, Jon Joseph said:

DGU and Dr. Pepper is an example of a bad deal. One would expect the marketplace to react after a number of bad NIL deals are made. But this is college football with fanatics with ridiculous money; fanatics not concerned with a traditional ROI approach. I expect to see no market correction.

This is the key, barring any unlikely regulatory fixes.  Nothing against these young men, but I'm still hoping a few multi-million dollar flops actually do cause a "market correction".  That said, the skeptic in me agrees and we have a real fiasco on our hands.

• Thumbs Up 2

If Nico needs that kind of incentive to commit, then I'd rather not see him as a Duck!

• Thumbs Up 1

Anybody believe this?

11. What is prohibited under the new policy?
Subject to state law, the following is prohibited under the new interim policy:

• NIL agreement without quid pro quo (e.g., compensation for work not performed).
• NIL compensation contingent upon enrollment at a particular school.
• Compensation for athletic participation or achievement. Athletic performance may enhance a student-athlete’s NIL value, but athletic performance may not be the “consideration” for NIL compensation.
• Institutions providing compensation in exchange for the use of a student-athlete’s name, image or likeness.

Glad he went to the vols now we won't have his arrogance to deal with. He has shown his true colors IMHO.