Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Charles Fischer

Yikes. Some Player Insight Into Cristobal...

Recommended Posts

Boy am I glad Miami paid him 8 million a year to leave us!  The exodus of players if he had stayed....whew!

 

 

  • Go Ducks! 2

Mr. FishDuck

Link to post
Share on other sites

     Yes, better for us that the wheels are coming off on Florida St Hwy 1 than I-5.

  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting how cool Hutson is during Cristobal's tirade.

  • Thumbs Up 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

This is just one event but there are many times that Duck players got stupid penalties during games and some after the whistle. Just ads to the evidence that the culture at Oregon was not as good as MC seemed to pretend it was. Can’t see him changing anytime soon. Man was not loyal to his players or the parents he made promises to. DL is already miles ahead to me in that department. 

  • Thumbs Up 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Funny.....Cristobal's reaction to Hutson is identical to my man cave armchair rant to CRISTOBAL about not coaching THE TEAM to avoid those types of infractions.

  • Haha 3
  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

What MC did to Hutson was the exact response I had hoped for.

 

Today’s culture is “ME” first. Taunting is perhaps the most unacceptable, selfish PF you can get; total disregard for the team and not a football play.

 

I don’t think Hutson’s behavior was a sign of MC’s culture; none of his teams had that reputation. Sometimes people with free will will do dumb things despite being coached to do the opposite.

 

Don’t underestimate how challenging it must be for a coach to establish an unselfish, team-first culture when the rest of the world (now including NIL) preaches self-obsession and self-promotion.

  • Go Ducks! 1
  • Mic drop 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Not only they paid 8 mil a year for this guy, but they paid our new coach salary as well.  

 

As as far as the player, a foolish play. As far as the coach response, a simple “you and are I are going to have a halftime chat and you will do the listening” would have been a better form of this coachable moment. MCs display of drill Sargent like rage revealed to me a huge flaw in his leadership. MC acted as a hammer and The player was a nail. Embarrassing play yes, after the play more so for MC than Hutson.

 

Praise In public, coach in private. Plays like that say the coaches did not cover the private part as well as the should have.

  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 5/22/2022 at 3:49 PM, cartm25 said:

What MC did to Hutson was the exact response I had hoped for.

 

Today’s culture is “ME” first. Taunting is perhaps the most unacceptable, selfish PF you can get; total disregard for the team and not a football play.

 

I don’t think Hutson’s behavior was a sign of MC’s culture; none of his teams had that reputation. Sometimes people with free will will do dumb things despite being coached to do the opposite.

 

Don’t underestimate how challenging it must be for a coach to establish an unselfish, team-first culture when the rest of the world (now including NIL) preaches self-obsession and self-promotion.

“Leadership is a matter of having people look at you and gain confidence, seeing how you react. If you are in control, they are in control.”  Tom Landry

 

In my opinion, a discussion of unacceptable behavior should have taken place at practice. 

  • Thumbs Up 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I was just glad he didn't call a timeout to do it!

 

These little insights into the real hamster wheel happenings inside Mari's mind were telling. The timeouts, the over the top public ass chewing, the prevent offense, we all canaries in the coal mine for what what actually happening after the sales job.

 

Mari's is an impressive salesman, but the follow through is what makes a program sustainable. At FIU he peaked out at 4 years and then the wheels began to fall off middle of year 5.  

 

FIU fired Mario after 6 years, we got bailed out after 4 years. If Mario's act does only last about 4 years then we got very lucky. 

 

This is something which will be interesting to watch. Both Lanning and Mario are very good salesman, but which one can create a sustainable program? I think the development of players is critical, not just the occassional top NFL talent. Some players are just that talented.

 

The real question in programs is about student athletes, and game day reaching potential? Are they exceeding expectations, along with the program? I think fans, players and assistant coaches began to see somethings which didn't line up. The wheels were about to fall off, and were beginning to actually see it. I hope Lanning is able to develop, and exceed our expectations for his and our benefit.

  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

That was a little over the top with Kris Hutson.  I understand the urgency to let him know that his behavior was unacceptable, but didn't need to embarrass himself and Hutson on national tv.   Could have just gave him a quick talking to without throwing a temper tantrum. 😐  That was a painful growing lesson for Kris and I'm sure he will not do that again.   Not our problem anymore though.  😀

  • Thumbs Up 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

OK this is a generational thing for sure, but my old football coach used to say (among other gems) "If I'm not yelling, it means I've given up on you."

 

A little hyperbolic maybe, but nonetheless effective.  Granted these are different times, but as long as the player isn't physically assaulted he should take his lumps (which Hutson did to his credit) for a dumbass personal foul that hurt the team.

 

Yeah I'm a little old school, sue me.

Edited by noDucknewby
  • Thumbs Up 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 5/23/2022 at 10:14 AM, noDucknewby said:

Yeah I'm a little old school, sue me.

It will have to be a class action suit and count me in as I'm Ok with MC's reaction.

 

I don't think it was over-the-top based upon circumstances.  You are an amped up coach during a game and you react to a player makes a selfish dumbass play.  

 

 

  • Thumbs Up 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know how many times I have seen coaches do the same thing and probably more times but they didn't show it on TV. Coaches and players are human with all the intricacies of behavior. No one is perfect

 

Those who expect perfection are not living in reality. The pressures placed on coaches and since s**t flows downhill the players has always been enormous but I believe now it's gone way overboard.

 

That being said I support both views stated above. On the one hand it would have been better to reprimand him away from the TV lights. But on the other hand you can bet Mr Hutson will remember that play for ever because of the intensity of the moment. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The player deserved a reaming, but not in public like that.  Would Rich Brooks, Mike Bellotti or Chip Kelly have handled it that way?  It would have been done, but in private.

 

It is similar to when someone creates a violation post on the OBD forum, and the offending post is hidden immediately from public view by a moderator, and then I deal with the offender privately by email.  Those who have received the email know that I mean business, and not all parts of it are pleasant, but it is not done in public.

 

It saves both parties embarrassment, it prevents a bad look for the site, and I don't want it to be a buzz-kill on the forum as people read the back-and-forth.

 

Ditto for Cristobal; it looked bad for the program and made us all cringe.  It should have been done, but away from the public eye.  Chances are the opposing coaches may use that in recruiting against Miami?  I would..."is this the kinda guy you want to play for?  His judgment would be to embarrass you and the program in public?"  Whew!

  • Thumbs Up 4

Mr. FishDuck

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not one of MC’s finer moments. 

 

I’m sure most of you have told someone, “Know your audience.”  This outburst clearly demonstrates MC sadly doesn’t know his.  My guess is that the memo for understanding how to get the attention of today’s youth was buried under Miami real estate listings along with a copy of Phillip Brooks’ book, ‘Forward Pass: The Play That Saved Football’.  Damn shame he didn’t find time to read that. 

 

There have been societal advancements since the days of frequent facemask grabbing (Sorry Jimbo), name-calling, and intentional demeaning behaviors.  And here’s where the “adults” in the room have lost the advantage – today’s young folks are aware of this.  Sorry, but they are just better informed than we were as youths.     

 

Great timing.  My 21-year-old just walked in. I played the video for him, and our brief question / answer sessions went as follows:

 

Jester:  So, what do you think?

 

Smarter Offspring (SO):  That’s just disrespectful.  He can yell at me, but not like that.  Particularly the part where he tried to belly-up to me.  Disrespectful. 

 

Jester:  What do you think Hutson’s thinking? 

 

SO:  Did what I would have done.  Just stood there and took it.  Inside I guarantee he feels nothing but disrespect.  He made his point after a couple seconds, and I was fine with that. 

 

Jester:  In the long run, is Hutson better off for receiving a tongue-lashing like this?

 

SO:  No.  You don’t show respect, you don’t get respect.  Mario can kiss my a**.

 

There you have it.  Nothing wraps-up a discussion like a bum smooch.  Like it or not, today’s game is filled with NIL, transfers, and plenty of respect.  I’m not sure when Aretha’s signature tune became so paramount with the today’s youth, but I do know to reach (and keep) the modern-day player coaches need to carefully toe-the-line between constructive criticism and acting as if they’re being possessed by the ghost of Woody Hayes. 

 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T has got my musical juices flowing, so here’s another R&B/Soul tune that I’ve thoughtfully selected just for the Havana Huckster.  Hit the Road Jack!  

 

 

 

  • Mic drop 3
  • Thumbs Up 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 5/22/2022 at 7:52 AM, Washington Waddler said:

     Yes, better for us that the wheels are coming off on Florida St Hwy 1 than I-5.

Oh yeah Cristabol is showing his true colors and they definitely aren't Green @ Yellow thank GOD! I mean I don't have trouble with a HC or any coach telling the player off if they made a stupid penalty because it can mean your game win or lose sometimes. Mario went overboard though. Nobody likes being screamed at. Hutson is a good young Man from what I've seen and yes it was overboard. Also fans remember what if it was a loss and if you won your in the playoff, so I could imagine everybody would have been pissed at the player.

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 5/23/2022 at 1:22 PM, Jester said:

Not one of MC’s finer moments. 

 

I’m sure most of you have told someone, “Know your audience.”  This outburst clearly demonstrates MC sadly doesn’t know his.  My guess is that the memo for understanding how to get the attention of today’s youth was buried under Miami real estate listings along with a copy of Phillip Brooks’ book, ‘Forward Pass: The Play That Saved Football’.  Damn shame he didn’t find time to read that. 

 

There have been societal advancements since the days of frequent facemask grabbing (Sorry Jimbo), name-calling, and intentional demeaning behaviors.  And here’s where the “adults” in the room have lost the advantage – today’s young folks are aware of this.  Sorry, but they are just better informed than we were as youths.     

 

Great timing.  My 21-year-old just walked in. I played the video for him, and our brief question / answer sessions went as follows:

 

Jester:  So, what do you think?

 

Smarter Offspring (SO):  That’s just disrespectful.  He can yell at me, but not like that.  Particularly the part where he tried to belly-up to me.  Disrespectful. 

 

Jester:  What do you think Hutson’s thinking? 

 

SO:  Did what I would have done.  Just stood there and took it.  Inside I guarantee he feels nothing but disrespect.  He made his point after a couple seconds, and I was fine with that. 

 

Jester:  In the long run, is Hutson better off for receiving a tongue-lashing like this?

 

SO:  No.  You don’t show respect, you don’t get respect.  Mario can kiss my a**.

 

There you have it.  Nothing wraps-up a discussion like a bum smooch.  Like it or not, today’s game is filled with NIL, transfers, and plenty of respect.  I’m not sure when Aretha’s signature tune became so paramount with the today’s youth, but I do know to reach (and keep) the modern-day player coaches need to carefully toe-the-line between constructive criticism and acting as if they’re being possessed by the ghost of Woody Hayes. 

 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T has got my musical juices flowing, so here’s another R&B/Soul tune that I’ve thoughtfully selected just for the Havana Huckster.  Hit the Road Jack!  

 

 

 

Sorry but it doesn't say respect is something that you shouldn't give to people and that's what's wrong with society today as most of them don't respect anything. As far as Hutson goes he did everything right and he didn't Disrespect Mario back. If everybody respected everybody's space just their space we'd all be better off. Don't get me wrong Mario just rubbed me the wrong way and especially this last year when you could say he TANKED the season because he wanted back to that sweat shop of a State. Willie did it and look where he's at.

 

Mario disrespected Oregon from last years ending and thought he was better than Oregon. Thing is he's not Saban or even close and he's not gonna get it done at Miami because the guy's clearly not Humble or close to it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

 Bob Knight did similar stuff almost every game or practice and managed to survive a long time. My favorite was the chair toss, excellent form.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't have so much of a problem with it.  If memory serves (and it very well may not), that was a 3rd down play that negated a first down. Ultimate in selfish play.

 

However, it was that moment Kris became one of my favorite Ducks. Not out of pity or empathy, but b/c he reaped the whirlwind of his actions and took it like someone is supposed to.

 

I was brought up to respect my elders and though I respected them, it didn't mean I always liked them. That would be the case here. I would still respect my coach, but I may not like him very much. However, an apology after the game would go a long way in fixing that. Mari lost his composure in the heat of the moment, but so did Kris and were it me, I'd be able to see and respect that.

  • Thumbs Up 7
Link to post
Share on other sites

Makes ya wonder if Mullen slam-dunked Willie Cristbol in private for all the stupid coaching mistakes he made, that cost the Ducks many games.

Edited by FamilyofDucks
Link to post
Share on other sites

In every era there are teams that are disciplined, and teams that are less so.  I don't deny that today's world is self-obsessed (excuse me, brand-focused) and that makes the challenge harder, but some teams and coaches manage this aspect of culture better than others over the course of a season. Mario's teams weren't the most undisciplined I have seen at Oregon, but they were far from the least.  

 

As Bellotti often said, better errors of commission than errors of omission

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 5/23/2022 at 2:18 PM, Wrathis said:

I didn't have so much of a problem with it.  If memory serves (and it very well may not), that was a 3rd down play that negated a first down. Ultimate in selfish play.

 

However, it was that moment Kris became one of my favorite Ducks. Not out of pity or empathy, but b/c he reaped the whirlwind of his actions and took it like someone is supposed to.

 

I was brought up to respect my elders and though I respected them, it didn't mean I always liked them. That would be the case here. I would still respect my coach, but I may not like him very much. However, an apology after the game would go a long way in fixing that. Mari lost his composure in the heat of the moment, but so did Kris and were it me, I'd be able to see and respect that.

Completely agree an apology could've made it all better. Kids may not want to be 'disrespected', but deep down they want to know somebody cares and they want to be taught right and wrong. I might add, they need to be taught right and wrong. Also admitting a mistake makes on real, something else kids like.

 

I think that was one of Critobal's strengths, kids believed in him. The problems happened, and began to happen as they started not believing in him. This was going to become a bigger problem as all the broken promises start adding up. Another reason season 4-5 is where a salesman need to start showing real skill or the relationship is over.

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 5/23/2022 at 7:55 AM, Drake said:

“Leadership is a matter of having people look at you and gain confidence, seeing how you react. If you are in control, they are in control.”  Tom Landry

 

In my opinion, a discussion of unacceptable behavior should have taken place at practice. 

Who says discussion like that didn't happen at practice?

 

This kid disrespected an opponent, and now his fellow players take a cheap shot at a former coach on social media.

 

No guts.  Or respect.  Yet they demand respect.  

 

How tough would it have been for those kids to reach out to their parents, and use them as proxies to express their displeasure at "being disrespected"?

 

Of course, MC could've pulled the ultimate "Tom Landry" and promptly benched the player for a full quarter.  And told the whole team that would be policy from then on.

 

But my question is, do you really think today's players have respect for anything?  After that Twitter salvo, I don't.

 

 

  • Mic drop 1
  • Applause 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...
Top