Darren Perkins

Oregon-Georgia: I’m Betting on a Close Game

C4t9hAgg-300x300-cropped.jpeg?p=195098
FISHDUCK.COM

Darren Perkins of FishDuck.com believes that the 17-point spread on the Oregon-Georgia game is...

Edited by Darren Perkins
  • Great post! 1

Ten points, my friend, ten points!  I don't expect a win, but I do believe it will be closer than most think.

Mr. FishDuck

If I actually bet on football games, I'd love Oregon +17-5. Ohio State didn't take Oregon seriously last season and had deficiencies defensively, I don't see either of these happening with Georgia this season. Georgia lost a lot of their historic defense to the NFL, but Oregon is filling some spaces too.

Unless Georgia changes everything, Lanning will know what they're doing; every minute the game is close, Kirby's collar will get tighter. Maybe Lanning's emphasis on special teams will show up in game 1, maybe a turnover. 17 seems reasonable now, I expect it will be closer by kickoff. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't bet on games, especially Oregon games, because I have a way too emotionally take on all things sports. I think Oregon is going to crush every team they play, but know this game especially is full of unknowns.

I do hope in the future Oregon will be a team, program you can count on to show up and lay it on the line. That is all I want to see, and if the oblong ball bounces a few too many times the wrong way, then oh well. Just bring it, and play smart game everyone can be proud of.

• Thumbs Up 2

I can't find fault with the line.....but our Duckies will have to prove them wrong.

I'm with you Charles I was thinking 10.5 points for the over under.

On 5/31/2022 at 11:02 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Ten points, my friend, ten points!  I don't expect a win, but I do believe it will be closer than most think.

yeah, that seems more reasonable, maybe even 12, but 17? nah. 

On 5/31/2022 at 11:22 AM, 30Duck said:

If I actually bet on football games, I'd love Oregon +17-5. Ohio State didn't take Oregon seriously last season and had deficiencies defensively, I don't see either of these happening with Georgia this season. Georgia lost a lot of their historic defense to the NFL, but Oregon is filling some spaces too.

Unless Georgia changes everything, Lanning will know what they're doing; every minute the game is close, Kirby's collar will get tighter. Maybe Lanning's emphasis on special teams will show up in game 1, maybe a turnover. 17 seems reasonable now, I expect it will be closer by kickoff. 

agree, I expect it to go down as the game gets closer. 

On 5/31/2022 at 11:55 AM, Haywarduck said:

I don't bet on games, especially Oregon games, because I have a way too emotionally take on all things sports. I think Oregon is going to crush every team they play, but know this game especially is full of unknowns.

I do hope in the future Oregon will be a team, program you can count on to show up and lay it on the line. That is all I want to see, and if the oblong ball bounces a few too many times the wrong way, then oh well. Just bring it, and play smart game everyone can be proud of.

well said... 

• Applause 1

On 5/31/2022 at 12:07 PM, FG Lumber said:

I can't find fault with the line.....but our Duckies will have to prove them wrong.

Should provide more inspiration. 

• Applause 1

On 5/31/2022 at 12:38 PM, Quackerbacker said:

I'm with you Charles I was thinking 10.5 points for the over under.

Seems right to me as well. 

Take the 17.5 points and bet the house!! 

This line should drop closer to 13.5 by game time.

Our 1st time head coach will keep it close and our offense will score, think team speed.

They will have some knowledge of our defense, at least expected defense. But in a first game, anything can happen. 

Their QB is experienced and that means a lot in a close game.

I'm convinced we cover in this one.

In the Georgia spring game the first team offense ( led by Stetson at QB) went up against the 2nd team defense. Stetson threw pinpoint passes to wide receivers and urilized their impressive tight ends. The offense moved the ball but the 2nd team defense made them work for it. Our Ducks can too!

If i recall Stetson thru 2 picks but drove the team downfield for the winning score. He was impressive, confident and has the Natty hardware to justify it.

The other QBs had to move the second team offense against the first team D. It was a struggle but they scored points. That D caused alot of havoc that generated sacks and turnovers. This will be the best D the Ducks face all season.

My take is that the Ducks can cover as long as the QB's minimize mistakes and hit their open receivers. Confident the O-line will provide the protection needed. The O cannot give the real DAWGS short fields and easy points. The line is too high. Should give the Ducks serious motivation.

The Duck D, IMHO, is equal too or better than all SEC teams except Georgia and Bama....... Hold the Georgia offense to 27 points and we have a ball game. 

I get the feeling that bettings lines are influenced by the beat downs Utah gave us. As well as the first half of the Alamo bowl. Confident that Coach Lanning and his staff have moved the team past those nightmare games.

Last years Baby Ducks were not intimidated in the shoe. This year they are seasoned and uber talented. They will not be intimidated in Atlanta.......

This is a winnable game but requires flawless execution in all three phases of the game. Hard to accomplish in week one of the season. But nothing less than a win will be the goal for this squad.

Go Ducks.........

• Applause 1

On 5/31/2022 at 3:19 PM, DanLduck said:

Take the 17.5 points and bet the house!! 

This line should drop closer to 13.5 by game time.

Our 1st time head coach will keep it close and our offense will score, think team speed.

They will have some knowledge of our defense, at least expected defense. But in a first game, anything can happen. 

Their QB is experienced and that means a lot in a close game.

I'm convinced we cover in this one.

I would buy the spread if we had an  inexperienced qb such as Thompson, but Nix keeps us in it. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 5/31/2022 at 5:10 PM, HappyToBeADuck said:

In the Georgia spring game the first team offense ( led by Stetson at QB) went up against the 2nd team defense. Stetson threw pinpoint passes to wide receivers and urilized their impressive tight ends. The offense moved the ball but the 2nd team defense made them work for it. Our Ducks can too!

If i recall Stetson thru 2 picks but drove the team downfield for the winning score. He was impressive, confident and has the Natty hardware to justify it.

The other QBs had to move the second team offense against the first team D. It was a struggle but they scored points. That D caused alot of havoc that generated sacks and turnovers. This will be the best D the Ducks face all season.

My take is that the Ducks can cover as long as the QB's minimize mistakes and hit their open receivers. Confident the O-line will provide the protection needed. The O cannot give the real DAWGS short fields and easy points. The line is too high. Should give the Ducks serious motivation.

The Duck D, IMHO, is equal too or better than all SEC teams except Georgia and Bama....... Hold the Georgia offense to 27 points and we have a ball game. 

I get the feeling that bettings lines are influenced by the beat downs Utah gave us. As well as the first half of the Alamo bowl. Confident that Coach Lanning and his staff have moved the team past those nightmare games.

Last years Baby Ducks were not intimidated in the shoe. This year they are seasoned and uber talented. They will not be intimidated in Atlanta.......

This is a winnable game but requires flawless execution in all three phases of the game. Hard to accomplish in week one of the season. But nothing less than a win will be the goal for this squad.

Go Ducks.........

Agree. If the Ducks are sloppy with the ball it could get ugly, but if they protect the football they should cover. 

On 5/31/2022 at 6:19 PM, cartm25 said:

The Ducks will not win.

The best part about this statement is that any time I legitimately don't believe the Ducks will win (i.e. actually zero hope/chance), the Ducks win. I'm not saying this in hopes of conjuring some sort of reverse jinx. Seriously, any time I thought the Ducks could not win, and I was just watching stress free to see how the Ducks would compete . . . they won.

This pattern can be traced back over time:

- tOSU (2021)

- USC (2020)

- Utah (2019)

- Washington (2018)

- Stanford (2011)

Side note:  I don't believe it's coincidence that my doubt in the Ducks correlated most with Mari Cristbal's tenure.

I hear ya. I've been there, I have certainly been there....

On 5/31/2022 at 8:10 PM, HappyToBeADuck said:

Go Ducks.........

In UGA's spring game we play the 1's versus the 1's.  Not 1 vs 2.

I believe a lot of us believed but didn't say, that last year we "we're doomed" (William)(Dr.Smith) going into the OSU game.

Look what happened. OSU as usual was full of their own collective myth, and caught one right on the nose. Early season

games are the province of the D, and "WE GOT YER COACH BULLDOGS" !

I believe the boys are gonna go after "Them Dogs", like they were a pack of Huskeys (Which they're not) but all the same,

a 3 point on the damn road win, is NOT impossible.

I think that the spread is high but not by much. I may put my money where my mouth is with a (small bet)  that Oregon covers.

I also  think that the Georgia offense is much better than many Duck fans seem  to think it is. Interesting tidbit I learned today: Last year's Dawgs scored more points in SEC games than did any other SEC team. Much of  that offense is back along with two talented  wide receivers who were  injured  last  year. Add in TE Arik Gilbert to go along with Brock Bowers and Darnell Washington and any defense in the land is going to struggle with this team.

Oh and the Dawg defense will be very formidable.

So the bet I referenced above is far more of sign of respect for the Ducks than it is any concern about the capabilities of the Dawgs.

On 5/31/2022 at 5:10 PM, HappyToBeADuck said:

CAN BE AS GOOD 

Lanning's first defense has the potential to play dominant ball.  But they don't have Bubbas like the South does.  So skill and technique will be important.

I'm looking for the back seven to develop into a formidable unit ( back six when we blitz).  

As much as I like this matchup, I'm not sure OBD Will be ready for an elite team like Georgia.  Fortunately, gross lost massive talent to the NFL, which will also take them time to replace.

Love the points.  

Guest Axel

I haven't drunk Kool-Aid since I was a kid, so I think I'm on safe ground saying that the 17.5-point spread is the brainchild of a lunatic.

Hmm, let me put on my green color glasses to make this prediction.  As I predicted last year against OSU, Oregon will beat Georgia.  The fans from Georgia will be screaming in fear 😱!!  Fun aside, I Love my Ducks no matter what happens.  Go Ducks!

Edited by NJDuck

I think the Ducks have the "opportunity" to provide Georgia with the most dynamic offense they'll have seen since the National Championship. I say opportunity because they have every piece in place to do exactly that (great playmakers with great potential). What remains to be seen is how effectively it is coached and schemed.

If Oregon's offense can get above 70 plays in the game that means Georgia's defense will be tired and more susceptible to mistakes. I'm gonna take a leap and say the offense is really clicking by the second half and starts an exciting comeback that brings us to within a touchdown. I think Georgia comes up with the late interception on Nix after he tries to do a little too much.

Georgia -7