noDucknewby

Potential ACC/P12 TV Partnership

acc-pac-12-conference-logos.jpg
WWW.SI.COM

The proposal between the leagues comes after the Big Ten’s addition of USC and UCLA.

Interesting read, explains "loose partnership".

• Great post! 1

Hope it's more than a hand shake.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

IMHO it feels like ESPN is in the position to take serious advantage of the weakened PAC 10. 

Lock out Fox and get the PAC cheap. At the same time give their network partner ACC a pay raise. Smart business move.

It's in the BIG 12's interest to poach and destroy the PAC, if this article is accurate......... If 4 teams leave the PAC and join the BIG 12 then the new, expanded BIG 16 could step in and replace the now defunct PAC. 

Either way ESPN controls 3 of the remaining 4 Power Five Conferences. And the PAC 12 network is left for dead.

As easy as it is to lay all the blame on Larry, well the 12 arrogant, incompetent in sports business, presidents shoulder the lions share.

GEEZ, you lame ... fools, start making some quality decisions. How does it feel to negotiate from a position of weakness?

Sorry for the rant. Of course there is no way to know whats true and accurate.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Are we really gonna be part of the PACC 24? 

There would be 6 teams each in the NE. SE. NW, and SW divisions.  The 4 divisional champs play for a chance to pit PACC EAST vs PACC WEST in the conference championship game!

This is whole thing is killin me, I need an ice cold Oregon microbrew… or two, or six…

More ACC/P12/ESPN Twitter rumors (this from Greg Flugar), saw this:

"RUMOR: Pac12 offer from ESPN: $220 million per year, no expansion. Transfer ownership of Pac12 networks to espn. Yearly scheduling of 1 ACC team per school. Clash of Champioms “Bowl”.Also as part of this deal ESPN would pay Oregon and Washington an additional $15 million per year for the trade off of playing 2 ACC teams per year."

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/6/2022 at 8:33 PM, AnotherOD said:

More ACC/P12/ESPN Twitter rumors (this from Greg Flugar), saw this:

"RUMOR: Pac12 offer from ESPN: $220 million per year, no expansion. Transfer ownership of Pac12 networks to espn. Yearly scheduling of 1 ACC team per school. Clash of Champioms “Bowl”.Also as part of this deal ESPN would pay Oregon and Washington an additional $15 million per year for the trade off of playing 2 ACC teams per year."

Oof, ESPN know the Pac is on the ropes... the extra 15 million to play 2 ACC teams makes it a bit better though

Think I would rather join the B1G for a 20% discount. We could take $70-$80 million and be just fine. $35 million is a joke. Or how about obliterate all remaining three conferences and pull a powerful super conference from the ashes. Oregon, UW, UM, FSU, Clemson, TT, Utah, Colorado, UNC, and 7  others. Of course media markets must reign.

• Thumbs Up 1

I haven't followed the numbers that closely but I believe prior to USC/UCLA joining the conference (this from LA Times July 3, 2022):

"Initial reports indicate the Big Ten’s new deal that starts in 2024 could be worth a whopping $1 billion a year. That before UCLA and USC signed on and brought the second-largest media market in the country.

Splitting $1 billion of annual TV revenue among 16 Big Ten schools yields an average of $62.5 million per school."

If Oregon joins with ND, the pot would continue to grow but now it is an 18 way split, with some new members possibly not getting full shares (like Rutgers and Maryland haven't).

$37 million is getting closer to what maybe $50 million as a new member of the 18 team B10 (and that is assuming not a bigger short-tenured reduction in share). As well, that allows Oregon to go tell the B10 to go pound sand for slow playing the Ducks.

This sounds like it could be the first step to the creation of the Coastal Conference (with some teams in between). It seems crazy from a geography stand point to have a conference (or linked conferences) that are on opposite coasts but I like this a whole lot more than the alternatives. 

I wouldn't mind throwing in Oklahoma State and maybe Texas Tech to give a Oklahoma and Texas footprint... Both are worth more than adding mountain west schools. 

It does leave a void in southern California but I think that is something we are just going to have to live with. 

Player travel wise this is oddly enough a better deal as well than the B1G because there are west and east coast sections that will play each other with only a few cross over games. 

So a few longet road trips but USC and UCLA will be spending a whole lot more time traveling. As Nebraska is their closest school. 

Granted... Joining the B1G is probably still the best option for Oregon but I can live with the PAC-ACC

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/6/2022 at 9:38 PM, AnotherOD said:

Splitting $1 billion of annual TV revenue among 16 Big Ten schools yields an average of $62.5 million per school.

Wouldn't the $1B have been split between 14 schools (prior to the addition of the LA schools), resulting in an average payout of $71M per school? 

Edited by OregonDucks

As a TECH fan I would like this, but with OSU. We need a travel partner.  Kansas is great for basketball and it adds the KC market. FYSA, University of Kansas is only like 30 miles for Kansas City. 

On 7/6/2022 at 10:10 PM, OregonDucks said:

Wouldn't the $1B have been split between 14 schools (prior to the addition of the LA schools), resulting in an average payout of $71M per school? 

From Canzano "The Big Ten deal with Fox that was valued at $1 billion a year is now worth $1.143 billion with the addition of USC and UCLA." which keeps the payout at roughly the $71 million.

I think I still prefer a B12 Alliance with a lucrative streaming contract if that's something that could be worked out...

It sounds like for now that the Big -10 option is a no go for the Ducks unless Phil Knight can exert some clout or if the Big-12 cannibalizes the southern Pac-12 (Arizona, Arizona state, Utah, & Colorado).  If the Big-12 does that maybe the Big-10 would takes us or we become a western pod of the ACC?

I'm talking out my rear at this point.  🤨

• Yikes! 1