Charles Fischer

I DON'T WANT to Play Purdue, Indiana and Northwestern....Do YOU?

Yes, I get how we get left out of big money not being in the B1G, but playing in the B1G would just feel SO WRONG. Iowa instead of Arizona?  If I want a frigid game...I'd rather play Washington State in November instead of Minnesota. Stay in our region!

Thoughts?

2018 Apple Cup - WSU vs. Washington (Nov. 23) - Nov. 23, 2018 | The  Spokesman-Review

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

I still think the Pac, Big 12 and Mountain West should combine and create two conferences. One would be a rival of the BIG and SEC (UO, UU, OK st SD st etc). The other would be a life boat for the less sports driven universities (WSU, OSU, Cal, K st, CSU etc). If that new upper conference forms an alliance with the ACC playing games, that should keep the top teams in the playoff picture with strength of schedule and should be able to generate a decent TV deal.

No not really rather play Big-12 teams for sure, ACC, or even SEC teams.   I am excited to see USC & UCLA play Indiana, Northwestern, Minnesota, and Purdue in November at their house!  🙂 

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

It the administration’s obligation to go after the money.  Sports is a collegiate business venture and needs to treated as any other business.  It would be negligent for the UO to leave (I think) 100s of millions of dollars on the table in order to play in the region they want to.

• Whew! 1

I would rather stay at 10 teams in the PAC than move to the BIG.....

The only BIG games i prefer for the Duck are OOC or Rose Bowl.

However, the money would be difficult to ignore. Looking down the road and say a Rose Bowl victory, CFP appearance or a Natty what do you think it will take to pay Coach Lanning. BIG type dollars.

Would hate to get outbid by Vanderbilt, Kenrucky, Purdue, Minnesota, etc for Coach Lanning.

But alas, wherever, whenever or however i will watch Duck football 

GO DUCKS.....lets make the smart choices for OBD's future.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just because we join the B1G doesnt mean we are going to get equal revenue.

• Great post! 1

Unfortunately, that world no longer exists.

NCAA/University Presidents better figure something out.  You take away the money maker for most college sport programs and then you no longer have college sports.  

My 2 cents.  Everybody should go back to their conferences for all sports, except football.  Some how make 4 FBS conferences for football, 12-16 teams each.  Total restructure to put teams regionally together again.  You would still need to cut some teams and move them to group of 5 status. All 4 conferences have the same TV deal.  

The Kansas' of the world wouldn't like it.  However, I'm guessing if Kansas was in the next tier down, their fan base would enough winning seasons again.

I know it is not going to happen, but the federal government may need to get involved to keep Title 9 compliant.

I would rather keep the PAC. This conference is one of the oldest if not the oldest in the country, party due to our isolation. 

Oregon and Oregon State are both founding members of the PAC or the earlier names of it. 

College football is all about tradition and though the new trend is to ditch it for the money I would rather keep a few things. I don't believe everything is sacred in the college football world but rivalries matter and rivalries don't form overnight but take years to form. 

I would say it has taken the last decade of playing Utah for there to be a rivalry building between Oregon and Utah. Oregon and USC hate each other for loads of reasons... By the way their fans are hilarious as they would like nothing more than to never play Oregon again. 

I would like to stay more local for conference games ... I wouldn't mind a few outside our traditional footprint but I know things are changing and what I care about most is that Oregon football survives. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Unless Oregon, Cal, Stanford, WA, Arizona and AZ St or a minimum of 2 of them follow USC into the big 10.........USC is going to rue the day they decided to be smart pants. The travel distance, weather, competition, refs, locations etc etc are going to wear on them. Especially if they keep ND on their schedule. 

Imagine the fan support two years from now in November playing in Champaign, Bloomington, Minn, Lincoln, Iowa City Happy Valley etc etc. 

Something needed to be done......but they made the wrong choice. 

IMO Oregon needs to force the pac 10 to talk to the Big 12 hat in hand.....and have on the table that Wa ST and Or St go mountain west. 

Unfortunately, Economics will dictate the next move.

Oregon wants to compete on a national basis. To compete at that level requires money. Difficult decisions for what is in Oregon’s best interest going forward needs to be made.

Any decision made will have people divided, and quite possibly angry. I don’t envy anyone that is involved with these decisions right now. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Agree with David Marsh.  I believe many recruits will opt to play in a regional conference with Oregon State, WSU, Cal and Stanford, rather than travel across the country.

Edited by Grandpa Duck

On 7/11/2022 at 3:24 PM, Grandpa Duck said:

Agree with David Marsh.  I believe many recruits will opt to play in a regional conference with Oregon State, WSU, Cal and Stanford, rather than travel across the country.

I don't think it will effect football too badly... At least not at first. 

I think it will start to hurt their recruiting and their holding onto good players after a year or two in other sports. 

Even professional athletes say that the travel can be grueling, especially on a series of away games. And professionals don't have homework or classes they have to maintain their work on in order to stay eligible. 

Yes.... College sports is look more and more like professional sports but they still have to fulfill the student element of student athlete. 

I think we could see a major drop off of interest in the LA schools when some of their sports see players defect because it's just not worth the travel. 

It's also not like that travel comes with a lot of fun either... It's a business trip. 

I think the Midwest schools on the other hand will love having an away game or two in LA, especially in the middle of winter and that would be a benefit for them. 

• Go Ducks! 1

Based on the last time we played Indiana in '04.....that's a hard pass.   In more ways than one.

• Haha 1

I think it is a misunderstanding of what a university is to say that decisions about football teams and other aspects of the university need to be based completely on economics. Universities are expected to be more than a profit center and are expected to operate on a higher ethical level than a business. At some point, especially when football players become employees, it may be time to separate football teams from the university since the business of football may not be compatible with academics. The role of a university is constantly evolving and has become more of a business the last few decades. This has pluses and most definitely minuses.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 7/11/2022 at 4:03 PM, lownslowav8r said:

I think it is a misunderstanding of what a university is to say that decisions about football teams and other aspects of the university need to be based completely on economics. Universities are expected to be more than a profit center and are expected to operate on a higher ethical level than a business. At some point, especially when football players become employees, it may be time to separate football teams from the university since the business of football may not be compatible with academics. The role of a university is constantly evolving and has become more of a business the last few decades. This has pluses and most definitely minuses.

I agree. 

I do think we may see a stratification and division one football split into two. 

One being a focus on football and maybe basketball, though the g-league is becoming a way for players to jump from high school to the NBA without college. This league would have teams really detach from the schools and be semi pro. 

The other league and focus would be on the more traditional student athlete side of things. 

Now where would Oregon want to fall if this divide comes... That's tough to say. A big part of me would love to see Oregon be a more traditional model of student athletes but that would come with not playing against the best of the best because a school like Alabama would want happily detach football from the school side of things as long as that team still bares it's name. 

IMO we arent going to be playing in either of the BIGs. The PAC HAS to MAKE GOOD. 

On 7/11/2022 at 4:03 PM, lownslowav8r said:

The University of Oregon is a public research university. The U of O’s athletic department is self sufficient. It does not receive money from tuition or state operating funds that are provided to the university. 

The athletic department generates various sources of revenue separate from tuition, state operating funds, and grants.  Last year total athletic department revenues were approximately $108 million, and the costs ran at at approximately the same. 

Therefore, costs associated with teaching and research are completely separate already. 

Edited by Drake

On 7/11/2022 at 5:13 PM, Drake said:

The University of Oregon is a public research university. The U of O’s athletic department is self sufficient. It does not receive money from tuition or state operating funds that are provided to the university. 

The athletic department generates various sources of revenue separate from tuition, state operating funds, and grants.  Last year total athletic department revenues were approximately $108 million, and the costs ran at at approximately the same. 

Therefore, costs associated with teaching and research are completely separate already. 

With that being said they could change their name to the NIKE Ducks?-The Eugene Ducks--move to Portland and be the Portland Ducks-- IMO the Ducks athletics represent the U of O.

If Oregon ends up going to either the BIG10 or SEC, I prefer to play in the SEC!!!

So many talk about the difficulty of traveling to the SEC. I dont understand that logic.  Go ask Google the distance from Eugene to Ohio st. Then ask the distance between Eugene and Tuscaloosa Alabama.  It's almost the same distance.

I prefer to play the best teams in the best conference which we all know is the SEC.  

SEC country has way better weather than BIG10 country. I know for a fact because I lived in Florida/Georgia for 2 years and I have 1 brother live in Nebraska for 2 years (he said it got down to -35).  My youngest brother lived in Minnesota for 2 years (he said it got down to -46).

If Oregon plays in the SEC we could use that to our advantage with recruits.  Play at Oregon and at the same time play in the SEC.  Tell all the southern California kids who probably enjoy warm weather if they play at USC they'll play in freezing weather. Play at Oregon and you're close to home and play best teams in the SEC with Way better weather.

We might end up being the only SEC team on the west coast.  Think about how huge that will be for Oregon in recruiting.  

Eventually we'll have to travel a lot further for games and the distance is basically the same going to play in the BIG10 or SEC.

If you want to prove how good you are as a team and measure how far you've come as a program, to me it's the SEC all the way.  

I know personally how much SEC fans eat, sleep, breathe and live football. If we as a west coast team can come in and beat them...... it speaks VOLUMES compared to beating Purdue, Indiana, Maryland.

Lets go Ducks!!!

BlazerDuck-you are new here, and have started out with great posts. Please post often, and welcome!

Mr. FishDuck

I would much rather watch Oregon vs Florida 

Oregon vs Auburn 

Oregon vs LSU

Oregon vs Alabama 

Oregon vs Texas A&M 

Than seeing......

Oregon vs Iowa 

Oregon vs Purdue 

Oregon vs Minnesota 

Oregon vs Maryland 

Oregon vs Wisconsin 

If you're afraid to play the big boys how do you ever expect to win the National Championship?

If someone's idea is to play weak teams to have a better record in hopes to make it to the playoffs, I feel bad for them. Do you know who will be waiting there?  To me it's so important to be battle tested against the best competition that way your team knows how to grind physically and more importantly grind and strengthen mentally together as a team.  When times get tough as a team you're physically and mentally strong.  You know how to get through it.

Don't run from competition, show everyone your worth as a team!!!!

• Applause 1

Thanks Charles.  I got to tell ya, I love this and love what you're doing here on fishduck!!!

Well BlazerDuck, it would not happen without all the volunteers that are writers, editors, moderators, and Duck News Hunters.

Working together, we make it work and keep both sites free for all!

Representing all of us on the staff as volunteers…thank you!

Mr. FishDuck

I know if we get invited we are going to the Big 10, no doubt in my mind.  But playing the teams in the Big 10 just doesn't excite me.   Probably because I live in Texas and can't stand cold so no Bueno!  

Much rather see Oregon vs Baylor or Oklahoma State or romp over TCU or Texas Tech.   I don't see us being invited to the SEC, although I would love that.  

One issue that does worry me is the SEC and Big 10 may just remove themselves from the NCAA and go at alone.  They will then probably change the rules i.e. lift scholarship limits and maybe the way money is paid to players etc.  in an effort to make themselves the primary league and everyone else will be regulated to secondary players. 

Really bad for College football but I don't think anybody is looking out for the game at this point.  It makes me sick to my stomach to see what is happening to College football.

• Great post! 1