Mic

Is NIL to Blame For All This?

What do you guys think. is this whole ugly mess with Name, Image & Likeness (NIL) to blame for all this B1G expansion/Pac-12 diminution process going on?  (Is diminution even the right word?).  It didn't come out of nowhere, methinks.

IMHO, I think greed is to blame for the whole mess.  Greedy networks, greedy Universities, greedy boosters, and greedy coaches.

The NIL is just greedy lawyers trying to get more for themselves and for some of the greedy players they represent.

I think the majority of the players would have been fine (and played just as hard) with the way it was before, but will happily accept anything the NIL process throws their way.

• Mic drop 1

$100,000,000+ for a head coach was a factor IMO.

The PAC-12 problems can be traced back to poor business decisions made by Larry Scott when the conference decided it would own the PAC-12 network.

That meant that the distribution of the networks content would be critical. Unfortunately, distribution of the content was handled poorly. Other conferences teamed with sports networks to deliver their sports content. 

ESPN reportedly offered to distribute the PAC 12 network for an extended rights deal. No deal was ever made. 

In fiscal year 2021, the BIG distributed $680 million to its member schools, the PAC 12 distributed $344 million. There are various reasons that a University would leave the PAC-12 conference, but most of them are colored green. 

• Applause 1

NIL directly? No. 

NIL being used the way it is, paying for play instead of as a reward for hard work, is a symptom of a greater problem in college football. 

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 2

Somehow I can't but help thinking the schools are going to figure out how to capitalize on some of the NIL $.  And by extension, the conferences too.  This would dovetail into the media markets handily as a lot of other $-making schemes already have. 

Has anyone voiced a serious concern for the future of Amateur Sports other than poo-pooing it as an 'over-reaction'? 

• Let’s hope! 1

NIL is not the causal factor. 

Multiple issues come into play including the Supreme Court decision that spawned NIL.

Media values and interests centered on two power conferences, and the related values and payouts coupled with the determination of the players right to be compensated caused opportunities that led to the shift.

The financial aspirations of ESPN and FOX networks in cahoots with the Commisioners of the SEC and B1G, and their cronies might have been the greatest impetus.

Many factors are at play to reshuffle college football and enrich the robber barons.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

NIL is a good and fair development.  College football is a multi-billion dollar business yet those that make it so valuable have been exploited under the justification (pearl clutching more accurately) of amateurism.  That ship sailed long ago so much so SCOTUS laughed the NCAA out of court when they made that argument in their position against NIL.  

It’s more than fair that the athletes profit from their contributions.  In fact, to put a finer point on the matter, the pre-NIL system was outright immoral.  The NCAA constantly wailed ‘won’t someone’s please think of the student!?!” for reasons that stem purely from sheer greed and absolutely zero concern for ‘academic integrity’ (though, again, the pearl clutching around amateurism was a pretty effective con).  

It has been a chaotic implementation for sure but the outcome is directionally right.  The schools need to go a step further and treat these kids as employees of the university because that helps resolve a bunch of the current NIL madness (as an employee, the athlete assigns their NIL to the university which will blunt the booster pay-to-play). 

But that won’t happen anytime soon because these schools fear what would happen next: players unionizing and thereby extracting even more equitable compensation.  

So, the answer to the question: NIL is not to blame.  That should be placed at the feet of thee schools and media companies under the banner of greed.  NIL is finally getting the people that create a ton of that value a just piece of the pie. 

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/14/2022 at 2:19 PM, CalBear95 said:

NIL is a good and fair development. 

So, the answer to the question: NIL is not to blame.  That should be placed at the feet of thee schools and media companies under the banner of greed.  NIL is finally getting the people that create a ton of that value a just piece of the pie. 

So ... the old concept of amateurism is outdated and should be laid to rest once and for all.  Is that where this is all heading, under the banner of getting  our HS and college athletes a "piece of the pie"?

In the immortal words of Robert Frost "something in me doesn't like a wall."  Only in this case, it's paid performance - for our youngsters.  Forgive me if I sound judgmental.  I don't mean to CalBear.  I'm mostly just sad.

Can’t wait till these students unionize and have to pay union dues and are subject to random pee tests. I know none of these kids smoke pot etc.

• Haha 1

On 10/14/2022 at 4:26 PM, Mic said:

So ... the old concept of amateurism is outdated and should be laid to rest once and for all.  Is that where this is all heading, under the banner of getting  our HS and college athletes a "piece of the pie"

The fiction of amateurism’s nobility serves and was created by those entities who. love making money hand over fist without having to share any of it with those who are actually creating a ton of that monetary value. 

This is where the sport has been for the last 25 years at least.  NIL has zero to do with how we got here and were it not in existence the same rapacious greed of expansion would be taking place.  So, FWIW, I’m glad the young men who are the product are no longer pawns to be exploited, chewed up and then cast aside (as many will not play in the NFL but without whom NCAAF could not exist)

Edited by CalBear95
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 10/14/2022 at 10:07 PM, CalBear95 said:

This is where the sport has been for the last 25 years at least. 

Hmmm ... then perhaps a lot of us who played HS sports should be sending our bills to our schools for back wages.  I guess I never knew my football and swimming coaches were capitalizing off me and pocketing all that $.   Dirty scoundrels!

• Haha 1

On 10/14/2022 at 2:19 PM, CalBear95 said:

But that won’t happen anytime soon because these schools fear what would happen next: players unionizing and thereby extracting even more equitable compensation.  

Interesting parallels are the efforts of graduate students at major research and teaching institutions to unionize. Yes, they are students and are getting an education, but GA's in the hard sciences do most of the rank and file teaching of undergrads and are the buffer for the 'professor' They also perform most of a lab's research under faculty guidance and write papers for publication.

Ditto for medical residents. They take the night call, do most of the procedures and are responsible for day to day patient care. In training, yes, but their labor value is far greater than the stipend they are paid.

I trained in the days when residents worked 80+ hour weeks, took call every third (or other) night, didn't sleep and got the snot kicked out of them. We thought it was a rite of passage and toughness (a little like 'physicality'). Sometimes patient care was less than optimal as a result of fatigue. We never thought of unionizing, but it may have been an improvement over the traditional way of doing things.

D1 level athletes (mainly football and basketball) are generating income for their schools far above the value of their tuition and room and board. NIL is a start and at this stage is a bit of a ham-fisted free for all. Unionization may be where this ends up with negotiations under specific guidelines.

I'm not all that crazy about the whole NIL concept as I would still like to see some sense of amateurism in college sports. But there is too much money in the system and not yet enough fairness to let the old system stand.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/15/2022 at 9:13 AM, EastBayDuckDad said:

I'm not all that crazy about the whole NIL concept as I would still like to see some sense of amateurism in college sports. But there is too much money in the system and not yet enough fairness to let the old system stand.

With the almost obscene endowments of many of these big universities it makes one angry that they even charge tuition at all.  Maybe that's a better use for all that money rather than trying to compound it even more by selling the name, image and likeness of amateur athletes.  

Talk about Greed!  Imo, this is the absolute epitome of it and it's emanating from our so-called schools of "higher learning".

I thought this was a good article about NIL, contracts, coaching salaries.  Does not necessarily translate on the football field in wins.  Miami, Texas, Texas AM come to mind.

WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

Whether it's NIL contracts, coaching salaries or extravagant facilities, it takes a lot more than money to win national championships

• Great post! 1

The biggest problem with NIL is the lack of clarity and different rules for different states.

For instance, no kid should be allowed any conversation about NIL until actually enrolled. 

So far, the big $$ doesn't seem to be making for a better product on the field. 

At Oregon, top paid athelete is Sedona Prince.

Next is Bo. He's earning his.

Next is Justin Flowe. He seems to not living up to his hype.

So hopefully, universal rules will help level things out, encourage players to stay another year, and the on field failures will discourage over zealous alumni.

I guess Texas A&M indefinitely suspended 3 members of it's first  "twenty five million dollar" NIL class yesterday.

That's after a couple of them already got into some trouble earlier in the season (including 4 one game suspensions) for for I guess (among other things): missing curfew, criticizing the coaching staff on Twitter, and posting crazy street racing videos taken inside a parking garage.

Obviously it's one school, and details are just kind of leaking out a bit at a time, but it is starting to sound like a bit of a mess (the team hasn't appeared to have the season expected and the HC is definitely on the hot seat).

It's almost like taking a team full of established players and dumping millions of dollars on 18-year old high school kids (who in most cases have already been lavished attention upon for several years in recruiting including like $50k+ recruiting weekends) who have never played a down of college football, might be a recruiting strategy with some downside?

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Texas A&M is a dumpster fire right now. Players are not buying into the culture Jimbo Fisher is selling, probably for multiple reasons. But I do feel NIL is probably one of them. Many are planning on jumping into the transfer portal at the end of the season by the sound of it. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 10/26/2022 at 1:31 PM, AnotherOD said:

I guess Texas A&M indefinitely suspended 3 members of it's first  "twenty five million dollar" NIL class yesterday.

That's after a couple of them already got into some trouble earlier in the season (including 4 one game suspensions) for for I guess (among other things): missing curfew, criticizing the coaching staff on Twitter, and posting crazy street racing videos taken inside a parking garage.

Obviously it's one school, and details are just kind of leaking out a bit at a time, but it is starting to sound like a bit of a mess (the team hasn't appeared to have the season expected and the HC is definitely on the hot seat).

It's almost like taking a team full of established players and dumping millions of dollars on 18-year old high school kids (who in most cases have already been lavished attention upon for several years in recruiting including like $50k+ recruiting weekends) who have never played a down of college football, might be a recruiting strategy with some downside?

What a fantastic case study for how it can go badly for all parties.  This is the formative stuff that can get things changed with NIL later, perhaps with limits, caps, etc?

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

On 10/14/2022 at 11:30 AM, David Marsh said:

NIL being used the way it is, paying for play instead of as a reward for hard work, is a symptom of a greater problem in college football.

I hear what you are saying but I honestly don't think we've had amateur CFB since the early 60's.  NIL is actually just bringing it all out in the open.  The "U" that Mario Cristobal attended was absolutely notorious in it's heyday for paying players and honestly so was USC: 

WWW.FOXNEWS.COM

Former USC running back LenDale White described some of his time at USC on a recent podcast appearance and how he once found $150,000 worth of cash.

At least with NIL the players get paid in taxable income.  The U often enough paid in hookers and blow.

• Haha 1

On 10/13/2022 at 10:18 PM, PittDuck said:

IMHO, I think greed is to blame for the whole mess.  Greedy networks, greedy Universities, greedy boosters, and greedy coaches.

The NIL is just greedy lawyers trying to get more for themselves and for some of the greedy players they represent.

I think the majority of the players would have been fine (and played just as hard) with the way it was before, but will happily accept anything the NIL process throws their way.

Sorry in advance to the lawyers here but; Do you know what you have with 20,000 lawyers at the bottom of the sea? Answer; A good start ;))

On 10/14/2022 at 8:01 PM, Just Ducky said:

Can’t wait till these students unionize and have to pay union dues and are subject to random pee tests. I know none of these kids smoke pot etc.

I know, For A Fact that they do!

Updated Top 50 SuperWest NIL Athlete Valuations

USC’s Caleb Williams tops the rankings, with the Trojans holding three of the top five spots

SUPERWESTSPORTS.COM

USC’s Caleb Williams tops the rankings, with the Trojans holding three of the Top 5 spots.

• Applause 1

What’s happening to Jimbo Fisher at A&M makes me sooooooooo happy.

Let me count the ways…

1) Jimbo coached the world’s most overrated undefeated team to a Rose Bowl beatdown at the hands of the Ducks (and Tony Washington’s spooky forced fumble).

2) Jimbo’s FSU teams were all talent and no training (i.e. all hat and no cattle).

3) Jimbo left FSU for A&M bc he was losing on the field and in the locker room.

4) FSU hired Slick Willy as Jimbo’s replacement—hahahahahahaha. (Footnote: Slick Willy and Jimbo share the same agent.)

5) The highest ranked (and most expensive) recruiting class in ncaaf (that was expected to somehow entertain itself in College Station, TX) has imploded during Jimbo’s watch.

I’m sure I will think of points 6-10 here soon…

• Like 1