Pennsylvania Duck

LA Times Columnist: Pac-12, Big 12 Punishing USC, Texas?

LA Time columnist J Brady McCollough explored the idea that the Big 12 is punishing the schools leaving for the SEC,

and that the Pac-12 is punishing USC for leaving for the Big Ten.

He is not blaming the conference per se, however he is seeing it through the results of officiating.

1. - Texas had 14 flags to Oklahoma State's 0
  2. - The flags thrown at USC during Utah game/or are Pac-12 officials just bad?

See if you agree with this columnist's opinion after reading the article...

TROJANSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Zero penalties were enforced against Oklahoma State. Texas: 14. Coincidence? One @LATimesSports columnist is asking questions after USC-Utah and Texas-OSU.

The fact that OSU didn’t have one penalty against Texas seemed a bit odd. 

He’s off on this as far as PAC-12 officials.  They are just plain bad.  Think about how many penalties was levied against Oregon.  Wasn’t it around 17 with one of our games?

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 5

On 10/24/2022 at 6:12 PM, NJDuck said:

He’s off on this.  PAC-12 officials are just plain bad.  Think about how many penalties was levied against Oregon.  Wasn’t it around 17 with one of our games?

Can't speak for the SEC refs but we all know how ridiculous the Pac-12 refs are at times.  Nothing new there.  Did penalties cost those two tams a win on the road?  Maybe.  But don't they always cost the teams that commit them?  And isn't Oregon often leading in those ridiculous calls  Yes.

Sorry USC, Texas.  Dam_ed hard to start feeling sorry for you two now.  Especially these two.  Texas can just "Cry me a (red) river".

Edited by Mic
  • Like 1

Nonsense. The PAC-12 officials aren’t competent enough to pull this off. Just clickbait whining by a partisan USC website that reflects the deep sense of entitlement of many USC fans. 

• Haha 2
  • Applause 5

Of course, in the USC-verse, losing is always somebody else's fault.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Jamis Winston comes to mind.

14-0 is mind boggling.

While the disparity is galling, the reality is their is bad calls every single game. The SEC, IMO, doesn't have better Refs, the have Refs that swallow their laundry. And I hate it when the announcers say something to the effect of 'the Refs are letting them play football and settle it on the fields. 

I just Verped in my mouth. 

'Our team' always gets disproportionately called. Its the nature of the fans perception. It does happen but I'm in the camp that it happens indiscriminately. Make no mistake, each conference has a personality when it comes to officiating, not by the fans mind you, but the way each game is called. PAC officiating strives to get it right to an annoying degree. See review each play for 5 minutes....ugh. 

I would be interested to see the number of penalties each conference commits each year. Then, break it down between ranked teams playing verses unranked teams playing. Ranked vs unranked would be another metric. We as fans love to find 'Homerisms' against our team. I believe the world is out to get Oregon....every game!!

But, 14-0 gets an eyebrow raise from just about everyone.

• Thumbs Up 1

0 penalties to 14 should not be possible.  That is bad officiating and definitely questionable. 

The Utah vs USC game was the only game where USC had significantly more penalties than the other team.  It was also the only game where USC wasn't clearly the better team.  Sorry, USC is still clearly a better team than OSU, even though they only won 17-14.

Refs already have a tough time, I don't think any ref wants to get labeled.  I don't think either conference refs are punishing teams for leaving.

Sorry Spoiled Children, I just don't see what happens in a Big 12 game as being relevant to your loss at Utah. 

I didn't hear you complaining about the P12 refs resetting the game clock in the fourth quarter from 8 to 13 seconds with no real explanation.

Edited by noDucknewby
  • Applause 1
  • Like 1

The PAC-12 refs are terrible.  We used to complain about how bad they were in the Mtn West, but it isn’t even close.  

As far as any team getting favored treatment, it always seems that the spoiled children have been the beneficiaries of the 50/50 or questionable calls.  Philosophy at the top has been it is “good for the conference” if they do well.  It would be awesome if the refs were competent enough to actually punish them for once!

Worst criers and complainers ever.

• Thumbs Up 4

I'm not buying the USC side of the argument... USC has gotten away with a ton of penalties in other games. They get away with their linemen holding all the time. 

Now... USC is definitely getting punish next year in terms of scheduling. USC is supposed to travel to Autzen in 2023. Now there is an argument that could go either way... one argument is that they didn't travel to Autzen in 2020 like they were scheduled to so it is their turn to travel in this match-up.

However, the 2020 scheduling was supposed to just keep the home-away games as scheduled to the best of their ability and scheduling would continue "like normal" the following year. Basically, Oregon played at Washington in 2019, in 2020 Washington was supposed to come to Oregon but couldn't because they couldn't field a team, then in 2021 we traveled to Washington like we were originally planned to anyways. 

What happened in 2020 is that UCLA traveled to Autzen in USC's place due to scheduling complications. 

In short... under "normal" circumstances we should be traveling to USC in 2023 but I have heard USC gets to come to Autzen to get yelled at and beaten up by our Ducks in their last season in the Pac-12. That seems like punishment to me. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Also... the argument of punishing just USC and Texas doesn't make too much sense. UCLA and Oklahoma are also leaving and are they not being punished by refs? 

Oregon v UCLA actually had one of the best reffed Pac-12 games this season. The refs made good calls for the most part and didn't throw really any flags that made me yell at the TV because they were obnoxious or questionable. They let the players play for the most part. I feel they may have missed a few calls but nothing too egregious. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/25/2022 at 9:53 AM, Goutes18 said:

The PAC-12 refs are terrible.  We used to complain about how bad they were in the Mtn West, but it isn’t even close.  

As far as any team getting favored treatment, it always seems that the spoiled children have been the beneficiaries of the 50/50 or questionable calls.  Philosophy at the top has been it is “good for the conference” if they do well.  It would be awesome if the refs were competent enough to actually punish them for once!

Worst criers and complainers ever.

Yeah that.

Let's just dispense with the nonsense that the Pac-12 needs to have USC on top to be relevant, especially now that they are lame duck (sorry) members.

If USC winds up winning the conference this year (or next) all we'll hear is how the Pac-12 collapses without them.  We'll do just fine, thank you.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/25/2022 at 10:33 AM, David Marsh said:

Also... the argument of punishing just USC and Texas doesn't make too much sense. UCLA and Oklahoma are also leaving and are they not being punished by refs? 

Oregon v UCLA actually had one of the best reffed Pac-12 games this season. The refs made good calls for the most part and didn't throw really any flags that made me yell at the TV because they were obnoxious or questionable. They let the players play for the most part. I feel they may have missed a few calls but nothing too egregious. 

Agree, we disrespect them all the time (and deservedly so) but this was one of their better officiated games this year.

• Thumbs Up 1

Reffing anywhere is a bit like being a single parent with 11 kids at the dinner table who all know how to hide what they’re doing. You need eyes in the back of your head and you don’t. Doesn’t excuse how bad PAC 12 calls have been, but just because other leagues have less bad calls doesn’t mean just as many real infractions aren’t being missed. It’s just easier to see it in our league.

• Thumbs Up 1

Was down in SoCal at a business conference. My U Of O cap was meant to be disrespectful to my SoCal associates. Many who are rabid trojanless fans. All they did was complain that they were cheated out of victory. And that they will kick r butts in the title game...

GIVE ME A BREAK!

The pissing, whining and moaning over the PAC 12 refs calls in the Utah/usuck reminded me of 3 things:

1. How dilusional trojan fans

are about their teams. And

their sense of entitlement 

2. How dilusional the leg lifters

are about their teams. And

their sense of entitlement

3.  My ex wife's constant pissing,

whining and moaning 26 years

after my parole from my life

sentence with her. And her

still sense of entitlement

toward all that I have and own.

I will never change my ex wifes attitude or actions. But thankfully every year we can wipe that smirk off the leg lifters faces.

Let's hope we get a shot at usuck this year in the P12CG. Question is will the Trojans make the game? If not the officials will be blamed.

GO DUCKS.........

• Great post! 1

A lot of us have whined about Crap 12 refs/umpires etc. for years, and the Conference even addressed it, admitting we had some less than D-1 level crews.  In the sUCLA game, I don't think I screamed at the TV once because of officiating.  A lot of screaming due to all our TD's, but not the refs.  That was a first.  14-0 disparity in the TX-OSU game is interesting though.  I do think USuC fans are generally big whiners though.

I made a comment on this site some time ago that this would probably happen. I think it will actually get worse as the season moves on.

Spoiled Children should have known this was going to happen. No way does the pack want one of the LA schools representing them in anything national.

Do I feel sorry for them? 

Absolutely Not.

Refereeing is a hard job.   The advent of the television replay has made it that much worse on the refs. That being said I believe 3 things about refereeing:

#1 home field advantage (except for the the Ducks)

#2 higher ranked teams or bluebloods getting the benefit of the doubt ( you had to knock Ali out to win)

#3 leagues determined to helping their top team's (not overt but at a critical times)

Am I wrong on these?

Edited by Duck 1972