Charles Fischer

Portal Gates Opened by a Bo Nix Return?

Sometimes figuring out Oregon events in the future hinges on hints of what is not happening. For example, I realize we will not officially know the decision of Bo Nix until after the Bowl game, but it would appear that the Ducks are leading candidates for some big portal transfers on offense.

Would this be happening if Bo Nix was leaving with an unknown quarterback, (or Ty Thompson) leading Oregon?   (One major Oregon pay-site has the principal leaning to Nix staying)

The Ducks are being visited by stud Arizona receiver, Dorian Singer, this weekend.  Wouldn't a whisper to "Nix your worries about Bo; he'll be the one to throw," help seal-the-deal? What a replacement for Chase Cota that would be!

But wait! Alabama transfer receiver Traeshon Holden, (6'3" and former Rivals 4-Star) is also interested in Oregon...would he be without Nix?

The big (6'4", 315 lbs.) Rhode Island OL transfer, Ajani Cornelius, is visiting this weekend as well.  Wouldn't some Nix-News sweeten that pot?

Or am I letting visions of sugar-plums merge with my crazy Duck-Love to imagine what I want for Christmas?

Dorian Singer - Football - University of Arizona Athletics

Dorian Singer

• Wow 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

Traeshon Holden has played 2 seasons at Alabama.  He has 570 total yards after both seasons.  Not sure he is all that great of a WR.  He was 5th in receptions and 4th in yards on a team that was mediocre at WR this year.

I don't think these guys looking at Oregon is because Bo is coming back, but I know just as much as the next guy about player movement.

Personally, I hope Santa brings us some top defensive talent thru the portal.

The kind of playets who understand and can execute DL's system. Execute in 2023, not 3 years later.

And 2 chaos promoting edge rushers. If the ducks cant pressure/contain Williams and Penix then we are playing for The Alamo or Holiday Bowl.

The rubber meets the road on the defensive side of the ball. Defense, i feel cost us the dogs and beavers games.

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Obviously Nix returning would be ideal for the Ducks, but I've given up guessing about what players or coaches will do.  Too many people trying to read tea leaves; kids changing their minds; situations changing around the kids (like coaches leaving or a hot new recruit/transfer coming in to threaten their playing time).

If ever there were an example of the word "fluid," it would be college football rosters.

FWIW, both Joey Harrington and Anthony Newman mentioned on Talkin’ Ducks that they believe that Nix playing in the bowl game indicates that he is leaning towards returning to Oregon next season. They mentioned that if he had already decided to go to the NFL, it would make more sense for him to rehab the ankle and prepare for the combine. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Having Nix return (or finding a stud QB transfer) and an explosive offense would give the defense another year to rebuild. The offense production this year really covered up Oregon’s defensive liabilities. 

I’m hopeful that we’ll get some impact recruits and transfer players, but that side of the ball needs a lot of work!

I got the same vibe from the "Talkin Ducks" episode as @OregonDucks did. 

I am excited to see how this all plays out, but a Nix return would certainly be the sugar plums for me!!

I wonder if part of the equation for Bo, assuming he hasn't already made his decision, involves waiting to see what kind of offensive lineman we get through the portal. Playing behind a line that could be much less capable than the stellar O-line he played behind this year seemingly wouldn't go far toward boosting his NFL stock.

I imagine if Nix is coming back that Oregon would have asked him to keep quiet about it until Dante Moore (or someone else) signs in the early commitment period- which is in a week and a half.

While the idea of another season with Bo is so tantalizing, I can't help wonder what the upside is. His style of play increases chance of injury and he has shown most of his tools for scouts. If I look at this without green and yellow blinders I just cant see him risking the $. Even with NIL, thats a temporary income but if he gets injured it would cost him a possible career. Heres to hoping my rationale is way off.

Think we can get Penix from ewe dub if Bo goes?  He is the scariest thing coming back to the Pac.

• Yikes! 1

If Nix has his way,  Bo returning will be a "game time" decision.  😉

On 12/9/2022 at 9:06 AM, Tandaian said:

Traeshon Holden has played 2 seasons at Alabama.  He has 570 total yards after both seasons.  Not sure he is all that great of a WR.  He was 5th in receptions and 4th in yards on a team that was mediocre at WR this year.

Wasn't Cota 3rd or 4th WR on the 2021 UCLA team in production before he transferred to Oregon?

That seemed to have worked out ok.