FishDuck Article

Chaotic Transfer Portal is Destroying College Football

College football is now mercenary-for-hire.

FISHDUCK.COM

Fans have been going through some things since the regular season ended two weeks ago. Players are jumping from rosters...
  • Thanks 1
  • Great post! 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

To me, this is very similar to what the one-and-done has done to college hoops.  Unrecognizable teams with unrecognizable "stars."  Guys who quit midway through their only season or barely bother to show up at all.  Intense pressure to be a star in 35 games before you leave.  Teams with mediocre talent who has been there a while and knows how to play together as a team beating all-star teams in the tournament.

It hasn't been good for many players, for schools, or for fans.

In football, it's hard to get excited about any recruit, transfer, or roster player, knowing he could very well be gone next season (or mid-season).  It's nearly impossible to keep good players on lower-level teams, or let a kid develop by sitting behind a star and playing special teams.  

I don't particularly worry about the well-being of players who transfer and end up with nowhere to go.  It's hard way to learn that sometimes you have to pay for foolish decisions.  It's like the many people who quit their job then can't find another job.  Sometimes life sucks - deal with it.

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 8

I am not so much against the transfer portal as the NIL, as we know it now. The transfer portal finally gives the student athlete a little power over their scholarship.

When a coach who has recruited them jumps ship, a student athlete use to be locked into the school they signed on to. A defense or offense could completely change and the athletes skills no longer highlighted, or used. The coach moves on, but the athletes were locked into virtual servitude. 

The NIL has added another carrot, which is enticing even more student athletes to jump ship, and we now are seeing too many end up, as you said, without a chair when the music stops. 

I hope we continue to see the transfer portal, but see the student athletes become a little more savvy with their decisions. I suppose, just like the lure of the draft, too many student athletes will be drawn away from finishing what they started, but at least they have a choice.

I also am interested in how Lanning turns this MariØ laden team into what he wants on the field. The ratio of transfers outs to transfers in is out of whack, but that will change. This will be one of the more compelling stories going forward. We should have closer to the culture and kind of student athlete Lanning wants soon, maybe not soon enough for most.

I suppose I would say the portal isn't destroying college football, it is remaking college football. The portal isn't ruining the Oregon Football Program it is remaking the Oregon Football Program.

I will also say with Mark Emmett finally leaving there is a chance, I said a chance, Charlie Baker can provide a little better guidance to programs going forward. Emmert was an undeniable destructive force to the NCAA and student athletes. Maybe Baker can provide some much needed vision and enlightened direction! 

Edited by Haywarduck
  • Thumbs Up 2

Jordan, thank you for this timely article. You are correct that the transfer portal, coupled with the lure of NIL money has created some chaos. I am looking forward to the Forum members responses because this portal onion has many layers to peel and consider.

Of course not all players are transfering for NIL money or a chance at more NIL money. Some find that they can't or won't get significant playing time. Other than Flowe, how many of the Ducks in the portal were on the 2 deep roster? Of the 16 Ducks transfering how many were significant contributors?

Doesn't mean those players don't have potential or solid upside. It may mean they aren't developed enough or lack the talent to crack the 2 deep on a top 25 FBS school!  Best to look elsewhere. There are 2 names on the Ducks portal list who played well below their potential. Both were defensive players and they were given ample playing time to prove their worth. They didn't and I wish them both the very best in their future. As well as all the Ducks in the portal.

Because of coach speak and their brotherhood of sealed lips, we will probably never know how many players were nudged to leave. Or during their season end review the player determined they were not going to see the field. The road ahead was too difficult, so greener pastures came calling. Thats part of football......

Who knows what alluring words are being whispered into a players ears from other schools? When there are no rules the people who never play by the rules come out of the woodwork like cockroaches.

Jordan, I appreciate the statistics and percentages you shared from the 2020 and 2021 transfer portal. The true number that matters to me is how many players did not find a home or scholarship. Was that number 62 players or 412 players? Those are the players who gambled and lost a free college degree with benefits. These young men were now just a statistic within the chaos.......

If a FBS player ends up with a FCS scholarship then that was the players choice. That was their market value. Some players will win big in the portal, while most will do okay. Some will get left out and learn a valuable, yet costly lesson.

It's life. But, my heart still aches for the poor and misguided kids going into the portal that haven't done their own DD. If the coach says you can't crack the 3 deep and you are a sophomore/junior? Be very careful here. Coach isn't saying he won't let you on the field because he has a grudge, you're just not better than the guys ahead of you. If you aren't better, then what makes you think you will get picked up by another school to showcase your talents? Your talents aren't good enough to showcase. Stay put and get your degree. Showcase your education.

However, Bo Nix is a prime example of a transfer that was not being utilized to his potential. The offense didn't know how to use him and tried to fit a round peg in a square hole. Bucky Irving and Noah Whittingham come to mind as well. Another type of portal guy would be someone who has 3-4 guys ahead of him on a perennial top 5 team. Loaded with 5* talent. Yes, it's the same as my earlier synopsis of kids down the roster. But, not all situations are the same, right. 

I believe there are a smorgasbord of Portal Players that are way above average, with the right make up and desire, and without having to mortgage the farm to bring them in. 

In principal, to the kids and the loyalty of the fans, I don't like how the Portal is morphing into free agency with academic destruction for such a high percentage of kids. But, in reality, Oregon is going to get ALOT better in the coming years because of it. A disruptive NT, a chaotic DE, a proven and heady QB with a couple serviceable RB's as his sidekicks. 

Everyone else, Offensive line included, can be a consistent top 300 player and get the job done.

• Thumbs Up 1

The portal will work itself out... once enough kids fail at it, it will become a think twice or 3 times move for kids. 

I like the portal over HS recruiting.  

HS kids get on my nerves with the verbal commits then flip stuff.  

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 12/18/2022 at 7:55 AM, Lrod said:

The portal will work itself out... once enough kids fail at it, it will become a think twice or 3 times move for kids. 

Not sure I share the same confidence that kids will suddenly start making decisions in a rational manner.  Look no further than a certain former Oregon coach.  Despite a multi-year track record of not developing players abilities he continues to reel in top shelf talent.  The evidence is there for all to see yet it remains hidden in the mind of the athlete.

• Thumbs Up 1

Khyree Jackson is an Alabama transfer at corner that could really help Oregon--replace the loss of transfer Christian Gonzalez(I have added him to the article) A ton of our transfers have ended up at Nevada, so if that is the the trade--we get former Alabama players and send our transfer-out players to Nevada--that is a good trade.

Losing a player like Travis Dye to USC, now that was a real loss at the time.  But our coaches killed-it in the portal last year, we won the portal battle by a mile.

I suspect we will do so again...

Chase Cota_Nancy Paiva.jpg

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

For those who have read the article thus far--the political comment referring to Twitter has been removed.  Editors missed it!

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

I have a couple of comments:

--Like all of you, I do not like the direction that college football is going, but I have to admit that Oregon is benefiting from the portal movements, as it frees up scholarships to bring in a plug-and-play replacement.  The success of the portal transfers that came to Oregon last year was astounding, and its incredible to think how it was Lanning's first year in dealing with it.  AND he convinced many key players to return from the portal...

Again--Oregon is winning the portal battle.

Risk is MASSIVE for Both Sides

Jordan quoted a stat of an incredible 41% of players who go into the portal do not get a new scholarship and school?  I've heard that the number was 48%, but no matter...it is bad.  It is a terrible risk to a player to go into the portal and lose his scholarship, and clearly--most are not seeing that risk.

For schools...once a player transfers in--you are locked into supplying his scholarship for the remainder of his college career whether he pans out or not. The rules state that if he transfers again--he must sit out a year at the new school, and most players won't do that.  Ditto to the potential new schools considering this player; they have to supply a scholarship for two years for only one year of playing contribution?  They will pass...

Thus players will never leave the school they transferred to.  Thus the school is screwed; they have not solved their position problem they brought the player in for, and they have tied up the scholarship that could go to a HS player.

Remember...with HS players--they leave, and you can recycle the scholarship.  With a portal scholarship granted--it is for the remaining years this player wants to be in school.

The risk of portal scholarships to both parties is so much more than most fans realize...IMHO.

Noah Whittington

Noah Whittington2.jpg

• Great post! 1

Mr. FishDuck

There are three perspectives from which to view the transfer portal. The first is from the players and the multiple reasons why they transfer. The second is from the coaches, and finally, the fans perspective. 

Based on the numbers of players that lose the opportunity to play sports, and their scholarship forever, the players decisions in my opinion are driven in large part by emotions. Decisions driven by emotions do not always end up with fairy tale endings. 

The coaches are always recruiting talented players. Their job security and ability to further their careers is based upon winning. The transfer portal is a tool to be used when needed. 

The fans perspective seems to be driven in large part by emotions. Football is a team sport and for those of us who have played, a brotherhood. Watching “brothers” leave the family via the transfer portal is emotional. We all would like to think that our team is committed to excellence and each other. 

In the end, the transfer portal is part of collegiate sports. Some players win by using the portal. However, many players that enter, look at their collegiate sports experience in the rear view mirror. 

Edited by Drake

On 12/18/2022 at 9:14 AM, Charles Fischer said:

I have a couple of comments:

--Like all of you, I do not like the direction that college football is going, but I have to admit that Oregon is benefiting from the portal movements, as it frees up scholarships to bring in a plug-and-play replacement.  The success of the portal transfers that came to Oregon last year was astounding, and its incredible to think how it was Lanning's first year in dealing with it.  AND he convinced many key players to return from the portal...

Again--Oregon is winning the portal battle.

Similar sentiments were expressed regarding transfers and one-and-done players in basketball.  The constant churn in hoops has not only diminished the product that takes the floor but for me has sucked out all my interest.  From attending every game and then going home top watch the replay during the Kamikaze Kids era to not even turning on the TV if they are scheduled.  I'll watch the women as they tend to play as a team but it would be difficult to care less about the men.

I fear football is on the same path to apathy.

• Oh no! 1
  • Like 2

The inmates are in charge of the asylum?  Perhaps an unfair assessment of both the mental/emotional stability of portal candidates and the environment they are about to embark upon; however, athletics — American style  — has long been a charter member of a cultural betrayal by those who should know better, but no longer have the desire or courage to maintain responsibility for institutions we all care for and rely upon. Ever since the 60’s: let the kids run the show. I’ve washed my hands of it.

Edited by Washington Waddler
grammar

I think that once players see the statistics on their odds of a successful transfer - competition level, scholarship - this current madness will settle down, in terms of numbers of players entering the portal. Could take several years. But, I think the chances of tampering via back-channel communications will go up, and transfer deals will be made in advance, with NIL money being thrown around as the inducement.

Or, rules will be put in place that will slow things down. There is still an NCAA, isn't there? That could take a few years, too.

And again, I don't blame the players. Look at the coaches, their supposed role models. Coaches are out the door the minute they smell a better offer, leaving behind a contract, recruits, fellow coaches, and fans. Why is a player to blame when Kenny Dillingham is considered simply making a rational decision to take a better job?

Edited by jrw

The off the field distractions should not be taking away from the product between the lines...I get it, the portal is here to stay, but the timing is horrible.

It shouldn't even be an option until after the conclusion of the championship game. Can NFL team ink free agents prior to the conclusion of the Super Bowl? Where the leadership?

Its the responsibility of the governing body...Can anyone tell me what the NCAA does anymore, other than run to the bank to cash in on  March Madness.