Charles Fischer

Holy Crap! Oregon is in on Some BIG Portal Prospects...Geez!

My FishDuck Friends

I am taking a late lunch break while I keyboard this, but Wowsa....some big new prospects entered the portal in the last couple of days, and a few could be game-changers for Oregon.  I know we have a separate thread for this, but thought I'd start another for discussion.  Post on either or both!

You've heard about Evan Williams at Fresno State, the younger brother of Bennett Williams at Oregon. He is 6-0, 185 and a two-time All-Mountain West safety, someone who is savvy, experienced and could help us in 2023 incredibly.  (he was an unranked player at Rivals)

The one that has me frothing is Jordan Burch, and edge rusher at South Carolina who has two years more to play. My friends, he was a Rivals 5-Star, is 6-5, 275 and had 60 tackles, 7.5 TFLs, and 3.5 sacks last year. This guy still has a high upside, and is someone Dan Lanning recruited hard to Georgia.  Oregon has contacted him, and the Ducks have a legit chance with him.

Another edge rusher is Anthony Lucas at Texas ATM, who was a Rivals 4-Star and is 6-5, 285 and while Oregon is in it for him--this might be a tough pull.

The Kentucky defensive tackle, Justin Rodgers, 6-3, 311 has a ton of suitors in primarily LSU and Miami, and this player was a Rivals 5-Star as well.

Oregon is pursuing a couple of linebackers from LSU, Bowling Green, etc. but not much information on whether they are coming for a visit.  Whoa Baby!  Oregon is in on some good ones, and is going to get theirs, and that doesn't count the LOIs the Ducks are chasing yet.

Lanning is killing-it at recruiting!

Jordan Burch

South Carolina DE Jordan Burch hitting transfer portal | The State

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 7
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

Birch and/or Lucas would be wonderful gets.

Lanning and Co. may be putting a completely different team on the field next year. As long as it is a step forward (which it looks to be) I'll be happy. I'm already excited for some Duck football.

• Applause 1

Is the spring game scheduled yet?

• Haha 1

Kind of surprised we haven't heard any news on new transfers out of the program, we're already look at least 8 or so by more count that need to move to get to 85, and this doesn't even include any more transfers or freshmen. 

I'm very interested to see who is going to move on from Oregon.  

On 1/5/2023 at 3:11 PM, spartan2785 said:

Kind of surprised we haven't heard any news on new transfers out of the program, we're already look at least 8 or so by more count that need to move to get to 85, and this doesn't even include any more transfers or freshmen. 

I'm very interested to see who is going to move on from Oregon.  

Check ChileDucks depth chart for guys who are juniors and seniors and haven't seen the field

• Thumbs Up 1

Talents that were starters in past years will now be seen as valuable backups. 

On 1/5/2023 at 5:25 PM, idontrollonshobbas said:

Check ChileDucks depth chart for guys who are juniors and seniors and haven't seen the field

Unless I'm missing something, there's not many of those. We were a young team. I see WR Isiah Crocker (junior) only played 4 games, WR Kade Wisher (junior walk-on) DNP, kicker Alex Bales (junior walk-on) played in 4 games, OL Steven Jones (junior) started 2 games, played 3, Nose tackle Popo Aumavae (super senior) is seeking an NCAA waiver and wants to come back to Eugene, DL Taki Taimani (junior) didn't start but played in 9 games, plus he already entered the portal to come here last year from UW, ILB Micah Roth (senior walk-on) played 5 games.....

And... that's it. Everyone else at the bowl game was a starter or played a lot, or were sophomores or younger. 40 players on that chart were walk-ons, for the record. 

Edited by 2002duck

Lanning and his staff’s use of the transfer portal in such a short period of time is a game changer. Landing Burch, Williams, and a solid linebacker would replace/upgrade players who opted to enter the transfer portal. 

Top ten recruiting class, coupled with top ranked portal transfers…definitely a “Wow factor” happening here if they pull this off. 

Having a full complement of players allows for rotating squads. Can you imagine having 2-3 full defensive lines to rotate? Does it matter that you are a starter? 

Though I posted yesterday about the smoke I'd seen from Georgia sources about Birch and the Ducks, the word among insiders on the blogs today is that the Dawgs are the team to beat for his services. If this is an NIL recruitment, the Ducks, I suspect have a fighting chance as the Dawgs will not be the NIL leader. Yet a reason that Birch committed to USC in the first place is that he was from Columbia and Mama wanted  him in Columbia.

Maybe  Birch has developed enough independence to buck Mama's wishes, but I  suspect she will voice her displeasure should he decide to play in Eugene 2500 miles from home.

Of course, I have no personal inside knowledge, so this is all pretty much my thinking out loud (i.e., speculation) at this point.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/5/2023 at 2:06 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Texas ATM

LMFAO!

• Haha 1

On 1/5/2023 at 7:17 PM, 2002duck said:

Unless I'm missing something, there's not many of those. We were a young team. I see WR Isiah Crocker (junior) only played 4 games, WR Kade Wisher (junior walk-on) DNP, kicker Alex Bales (junior walk-on) played in 4 games, OL Steven Jones (junior) started 2 games, played 3, Nose tackle Popo Aumavae (super senior) is seeking an NCAA waiver and wants to come back to Eugene, DL Taki Taimani (junior) didn't start but played in 9 games, plus he already entered the portal to come here last year from UW, ILB Micah Roth (senior walk-on) played 5 games.....

And... that's it. Everyone else at the bowl game was a starter or played a lot, or were sophomores or younger. 40 players on that chart were walk-ons, for the record. 

I forgot about the COVID year, so some of the R.FR and Sophs are also on year 3 without seeing the field.

I'm glad Oregon has a great shot at pulling in talent from the portal, but this new transfer portal free agency is turning college football on its head.  I enjoy college football for the amateur athletic nature of the sport and this isn't it.  Moving forward, how important will it be to recruit other college rosters vs. high schoolers?  If you don't strike an initial NIL deal out of high school, now you can strike one transferring.

They HAVE to bring back the 1-year sit rule for non-graduate transfers in D1 football.  There's got to be a tradeoff to put more tension into the system that benefits the sport as a whole.  Think about the ramifications:

-players will think twice before jumping on an already stacked roster, maybe make a name for themselves elsewhere

-players will think twice before jumping ship and be more inclined to stay through the development process

-boosters are less likely to through NIL $ at players who can't compete and must sit out the next year

BTW, I think the 1-year sit rule should apply to coaches too.  It may look a little different, but a head coach under contract should not be able to leave a D1 school and head coach another D1 school the following year.  There must be some tension and tradeoff put back into the system.

• Applause 1

*Light Bulb*!!!!  It's all making sense. 

Lincoln Riley at USC saw the writing on the wall going into the SEC at Oklahoma and jumped to USC.

Then he saw the SEC train bearing down on him in the form of Dan "The Man" Lanning and convinced USC to go to the Big10 where defense is optional!!

I get it now!!joey-friends.gif.3fa9120cc42fc9f33ff39c87924900ff.gif

Edited by Ktmguy2018
  • Haha 1
  • Applause 1

On 1/6/2023 at 2:41 PM, mikethehiker said:

I'm glad Oregon has a great shot at pulling in talent from the portal, but this new transfer portal free agency is turning college football on its head.  I enjoy college football for the amateur athletic nature of the sport and this isn't it.  Moving forward, how important will it be to recruit other college rosters vs. high schoolers?  If you don't strike an initial NIL deal out of high school, now you can strike one transferring.

They HAVE to bring back the 1-year sit rule for non-graduate transfers in D1 football.  There's got to be a tradeoff to put more tension into the system that benefits the sport as a whole.  Think about the ramifications:

-players will think twice before jumping on an already stacked roster, maybe make a name for themselves elsewhere

-players will think twice before jumping ship and be more inclined to stay through the development process

-boosters are less likely to through NIL $ at players who can't compete and must sit out the next year

BTW, I think the 1-year sit rule should apply to coaches too.  It may look a little different, but a head coach under contract should not be able to leave a D1 school and head coach another D1 school the following year.  There must be some tension and tradeoff put back into the system.

If coaches get to sit out one year, and coaches get NFL coaches money, I'm behind you.

I'm resigned to the fact most college athletes aren't investing in their future outside of football and it's been a business for them at least a decade.

When a Mario Cristobal and a Willie Taggart can leverage Oregon the way they did, and kids are told " well kid, you'll get your chance to live in the real world when you graduate"- I don't support that kind of exploitation 

And I really started to feel that way when a decent Colorado football player at the turn of the century was forced to quit playing football because he was getting endorsement money as a World Class Skier. 

The hypocrisy was a major turnoff for me because there was little difference from scholarship athletes getting MLB contracts.  It was blatant in your face " we control you as a college student" attitude.  We get the revenue you generate as a star, we have a great setup with the NFL to force you to stay in college.  

There is nothing American in that set up.  And I loathe the fact that teenagers can generate a the type of followings they've garnered in the social media era.  But THAT IS what America is truly about: opportunity for EVERYONE that generates value in life.

Now if we could manufacture artificial value for our teachers...

• Applause 1

On 1/7/2023 at 4:23 AM, Mike West said:

It was blatant in your face " we control you as a college student" attitude.  We get the revenue you generate as a star,

If they have been exploiting the athletes...why have they been doing so?  Is it to fund more teachers, or buildings or funneling into the endowment?

No. The money earned from football supports itself, and 17 other sports at Oregon, and right now--it isn't even doing that.  If athletic departments were being an evil empire with the money--I would be more sympathetic, but when it is being used for noble purposes such as supporting scholarships for so many women and men of other sports, it is easier to accept.

And we have learned in the past that the benefits of playing football at Oregon total nearly 2 million dollars worth of value to the player. (Before NIL)  That doesn't suck.

FISHDUCK.COM

Do Pac-12 football players really get it? While that may seem to be insulting to them, it is a question that many of us who do the donating and buying of...

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 1/7/2023 at 9:38 AM, Charles Fischer said:

If they have been exploiting the athletes...why have they been doing so?  Is it to fund more teachers, or buildings or funneling into the endowment?

No. The money earned from football supports itself, and 17 other sports at Oregon, and right now--it isn't even doing that.  If athletic departments were being an evil empire with the money--I would be more sympathetic, but when it is being used for noble purposes such as supporting scholarships for so many women and men of other sports, it is easier to accept.

And we have learned in the past that the benefits of playing football at Oregon total nearly 2 million dollars worth of value to the player. (Before NIL)  That doesn't suck.

FISHDUCK.COM

Do Pac-12 football players really get it? While that may seem to be...

While I agree with you- this issue was a sore point with the players all the way back to the early eighties.  I knew several Fusky players that openly complained of the work they had to put in order to excel.  It was a full time job even then.

Not to mention the NCAA was quite aware the players felt that way, long ago.  Rumbling stared well before the organization got sued, and it was evident strategies like the current NIL environment was already in practice at "approved" schools.

They didn't put 000 on the jerseys and sell them to the public (instead of let's say Troy Aikman and Barry Sanders)- which netted the Universities tens of millions of dollars.  

I've had this argument for decades.  But I always felt other programs should be funded too ( I still feel that way).  

We all know this is professional football.  Kids aren't setting up plan B, and the schools don't really make sure they graduate.  That's been the case for decades.  It's just blatant and in our face now.  We can no longer deny it.

On 1/7/2023 at 9:38 AM, Charles Fischer said:

That's about the same benefit the NFL players receive sans the "education"( which is inflation related in my opinion - the education didn't increase in value, but the charges did.  In other words the kids get the same "value" of education that  that we paid $20 K over four years).