Annie

Where is Good Sportsmanship?

(Note from Mr. FishDuck: I have pinned this because of the nature of sports, social media and human nature these days, and what is contained in post No. 6 below)

I remember the idea of good sportsmanship being drummed into us starting in grade school. You weren't supposed to whine and complain if you lost, nor brag if you won.

Sorry if this makes me a fossil, but I don't enjoy the trash talking, etc. in today's sports.

• Thanks 1
  • Great post! 4
  • Applause 4
  • Thumbs Up 7
  • Like 1

Well said. At one time, the child’s world of self-directed desire on the playground (or the street corner) would meet young adulthood’s expectations in the world of organized sport’s obligation to treat your opponent with the same respect as you would yourself. Now it seems the inmates are running the asylum.

• Thumbs Up 7

Win with dignity and lose with grace. 

• Thumbs Up 7

Trash talking is part of the game these days.  However, you can definitely go beyond trash talking and display poor sportsmanship. 

To pile on Angel Reese, she went from trash talking to poor sportsmanship real quick.  If she had done a single John Cena "can't see me" action and pointed to her finger, that would have been OK.  However, to repeatedly do it and follow Caitlyn Clark around for nearly 10 seconds moved it into poor sportsmanship.  

Caitlyn Clark did the John Cena "can't see me" action after the Louisville game, but didn't follow around an opponent and did it a single time.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/3/2023 at 1:29 PM, cartm25 said:

Do what ever YOU feel like, regardless of its impact on others, and you're entitled to be outraged if anyone dare push back on YOUR behavior.

This is precisely what I have experienced on the forum.  

I am sad to report that I banned two MODERATORS two weeks ago; one for two weeks, and the other permanently.  These are people who know the rules, broke one, and instead of taking a notification like a man and thus we move on and forget about it--they choose to fight with me about it in several ongoing emails.

When I explained that the rules pertain to all, and that as moderators--I should not have to tell them that--the push-back became extreme.  The problem was with ME, not the rules, not them breaking it...which is what everyone says.  What cartm25 wrote is exactly what everyone thinks...even moderators.

The one I banned for two weeks is someone I really like and care about, but I doubt he will be back.  (Because the problem is with Charles, not the offenders)  The other one has given me grief before, and nowadays--I have a low tolerance level.  After all...I am asking for something really extreme, like civility.

As I've written before, we have a very selfish culture now, and it runs with all genders, and all ages.  (I banned an 82 year old retired Federal Prosecutor a while back)  All for the same reasons...

"Charles....you will have nobody left at this rate!"  Yep, and those who are remaining value civility, and don't give me trouble. I am not going to be babysitting adults.

If I knew what I was in for a year and a half ago?  I would not have started this forum.  Nobody would want to deal with over 300 violators in that time...

My lesson?  I was completely wrong in my analysis of what people wanted on the web; I thought most people wanted civility?  Wrong.  Most people on the web do NOT want to be "polite and respectful", and that is a sad fact I've learned.

• Yikes! 2
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 5
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

Personally, I see a distinction between trash talking and the hand/body gestures that are so prevalent these days.

Trash talking has been around for years. (Has there ever been anybody better at it than Gary Payton?) It permeates every sport. What makes it acceptable to me is that it is something that happens between two athletes during the course of the competition. Clearly, the intent is to get the opponent off their game. Sometimes it works; sometimes it backfires. But, for the most part, it is an act between two players that most of us fans aren't privy to.

The gesturing that's become so commonplace these days is different, in my opinion, because it's "public," out there for all to see. Frankly, most times it's used as a form of taunting an opponent. To me, it's a slippery slope that's rife with problems. 

When a smiling Steph Curry hits a three-pointer and gestures in celebration, most of us seem to think that's acceptable. Likewise, when Dame Lillard--an otherwise model NBA citizen--hits a game-winning 3-pointer and taps his wrist to signify "Dame Time," we are fine with it. To his opponents, though, it was a clear taunt. Ask Paul George what he thought of it.

Thus, when Caitlin Clark went all WWE and did the "You can't see me" hand gesture against South Carolina, she set herself up for the retaliatory response that came from Angel Reese. Certainly, Reese took it to the next level of taunting by repeatedly doing it right in Clark's face. But, what's sad to me is that athletes today feel the need to do these stupid hand gestures to seemingly fire themselves up. Frankly, I'm sick athletes pounding themselves on the chest after a good play. (I guess that's easier than patting themselves on the back, eh?)

Give me Barry Sanders, who understood a few things about the beauty of humility.

Okay, gotta go and chase come laughing little kids off my lawn...

• Haha 1
  • Applause 5

On 4/4/2023 at 11:35 AM, WiseKwacker said:

... Frankly, I'm sick athletes pounding themselves on the chest after a good play. (I guess that's easier than patting themselves on the back, eh?)

Exactly!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

And if I have to see one more scripted TD celibration🤢

• Haha 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

You can trash talk and be a good sport. Seems counterintuitive but it is completely possible. Trash talk all you want but at the end of the game win or lose with grace.... Granted if you push it too far you might get far more than what you bargained for at the end of the game.

But you can always flip that by being a good sport because isn't it next level trash talking to take someone who is trying to get a rise out of you and all you want to do is shake their hand? What are they supposed to do to that? 

The biggest thing why I think sportsmanship has disappeared is that it doesn't get clicks or views to be a good sport. Where being a poor sport raises your profile for better or worse and that's the brand and that's where the money is. 

Good sports tend not to bring out any strong emotions... But bad sports do both for those with you and those against you. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/4/2023 at 6:45 PM, David Marsh said:

Good sports tend not to bring out any strong emotions... But bad sports do both for those with you and those against you. 

Good point. Sad, but true. 😢

What seems to be lost in this day and age is the fact that when you denigrate an opponent you take away from any victory, or moment you may have had. When you build up an opponent your victory or moment becomes even bigger. I hope Coach Lanning can get the players to buy into that kind of culture.

I realize football is an extremely high energy sport, and emotions can get the best of our players. At the same time, in the vast majority of the situations, I want players who act like they have been there before, and are ready to do it again. This will serve players longterm in football and life.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 4/4/2023 at 9:31 PM, Haywarduck said:

What seems to be lost in this day and age is the fact that when you denigrate an opponent you take away from any victory, or moment you may have had.

Like players, fans can be guilty of this as well. I’ve never understood the chant, “over rated!” when the home team is in position to defeat a higher ranked opponent. 

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Like 1

On 4/5/2023 at 10:51 AM, Washington Waddler said:

Like players, fans can be guilty of this as well. I’ve never understood the chant, “over rated!” when the home team is in position to defeat a higher ranked opponent. 

It is one of the most stupid things a home crowd can chant, you are basically saying that the other team isn't very good, and that your team's win is actually that significant or a great achievement.  I've always hated it, even when I was student and everyone around me was chanting it.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 4/6/2023 at 10:52 AM, spartan2785 said:

It is one of the most stupid things a home crowd can chant, you are basically saying that the other team isn't very good, and that your team's win is actually that significant or a great achievement.  I've always hated it, even when I was student and everyone around me was chanting it.

Yup.  And Beaver fans will be hoping to chant that at PK Park this weekend...  (Oregon is ranked 25th and OSU is unranked)

(But they won't be able to!)

Mr. FishDuck

On 4/4/2023 at 11:35 AM, WiseKwacker said:

Frankly, I'm sick athletes pounding themselves on the chest after a good play. (I guess that's easier than patting themselves on the back, eh?)

Give me Barry Sanders, who understood a few things about the beauty of humility.

Or MM#8, hand the ball to the ref and trot back to your sideline. Classy and made a whole lot more powerful statement.

• Thumbs Up 3

One of the things that impressed me so much about Marcus Mariota was the way he conducted himself on the field. I can think of few highly talented athletes who combined their athletic gifts and accomplishments with behavior that was exemplary in its honest humility.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

So, now there's etiquette in taunting and trash talking? I am so behind on things.  😮

WWW.USATODAY.COM

A week has passed since LSU beat Iowa in women's NCAA basketball championship game, and Cheryl Miller chimes in on...

On 4/10/2023 at 10:41 AM, Annie said:

So, now there's etiquette in taunting and trash talking? I am so behind on things.  😮

You, me and so many others Annie.  As I have said to Jon Joseph often, "we are dinosaurs in this culture!"

Not how I want egg-on-my-face...

giphy.gif

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

There is such a fine line with all of this.  I remember hearing the “alternate” lyrics of the OSU fight song, sung loudly from the student section at Autzen.  To a 13-14 year old kid, that was absolutely gold.  And, I’m none the worse for wear because of it.  

I’m tracking this thread.  The variety of opinions is interesting.  

On 4/13/2023 at 7:24 PM, TexasDuck said:

There is such a fine line with all of this.  I remember hearing the “alternate” lyrics of the OSU fight song, sung loudly from the student section at Autzen.  To a 13-14 year old kid, that was absolutely gold.  And, I’m none the worse for wear because of it.  

I've heard only the first line of that version of the OSU fight song, and that part is definitely funny. But I'll guess it goes "downhill" from there. 😄

Not sure why it’s so acceptable these days for some to cross the line between woofing at a rival school and taunting a fellow competitor by either demeaning them or exulting in their defeat. 

I can enjoy the student section chant of, “start your tractors” at the end of a C***l War game victory over the Beavers because I know the same fate of being made fun of is awaiting us somewhere down the line. I may be weary of hearing it’s open season on ducks, but I get it. I accept it. That’s Tradition.

What I don’t get and will never accept is the infantile, insulting behavior of both Clark and Reese and any other present day athletes who’ve forgotten how to just play the game and leave the woofing to the fans.

• Thumbs Up 2

I also don't enjoy hearing the student section at football games saying, "And we're going to beat the "crap" (not quite what they say) out of you, and you, and you." It's not so terrible, I guess, compared to some things I hear being shouted, but I find it annoying and juvenile. Reminds me of when I and my friends were about 4 years old and thought that insulting someone by calling him/her a "pee-pee, wee-wee" was the height of hilarity, when, of course, it was just childish. (And if our parents heard us, we got scolded.🙂 )

Edited by Annie

Joe Paterno (and others) said it best:. "When you get into the end zone, act like you've been there before".  I think that would apply to winning a game, championship, etc.  

Totally on board with celebrating a win (heck, when the Broncos won their first Super Bowl, I jumped off the couch and punched the ceiling).  

I am just not certain why it would make the win better by berating or showing up your opponent.  

Always, always appreciated MM for the class he demonstrated on the field after scoring and even helping defenders up.  It certainly didn't detract from his abilities when he showed class like that.  

I always told the players I coached, let your plays speak the loudest for you.  Still get thanks for that even to this day. 

Old school...I'm a card-carrying member!!

• Applause 1