Charles Fischer

You Decide: Did the OBD Forum Just Have it's First AI Member-Troll?

This (quote below) was part of a thread about scheduling games for the Pac-12, and the following post was a part of it.  It was posted by a brand-new member, so I was looking forward to an insightful opinion, as usually when someone new joins--they have something to say that has been bugging them for a while.  I think it is an Artificial Intelligence (AI) signup and post.

"When it comes to securing multiple bids for the expanded College Football Playoff, there is a need to determine the best format. One question is whether the Pac-12 should return to divisions or continue without them. Additionally, the conference must decide whether to stick with nine conference games or switch to an eight-game model."

"However, I believe there might be a third option worth considering on the topic of the number of conference games. It's essential to thoroughly evaluate the pros and cons of each choice and find a balance that ensures fair competition while also allowing for flexibility and overall strength of the conference."

Geez, is that generic summary, and bland or what?  Is that how any of us write?  Does that final sentence tell you anything other than...."right, no kidding!"

To me, it shouts of an early generation AI signup and post.  It could be an experiment by someone, but it took no time at all to raise my suspicions. Often I send out a template email to someone new who is vague in signing up with no information given, or to those who have the obvious Spammer/Troll handle-name or email address. I ban them first, send out the email, and if they do not respond--they stay banned as this entity was.

Think it is AI as I do?

It just seems like such a wooden and robotic response...

giphy.gif

Nope, I won't be using that for my Oregon IPAs...

Mr. FishDuck

After playing around with Chat GPT, Bing, and Google Bard for the past several months, I would bet my paycheck that was an AI generated post. 

• Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

AI for sure. Unless it is a really, really boring Fusky fan who wonders why no one talks to them at the office water cooler or at cocktail parties.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

As a former college professor who has been around a fair number of obscure and/or obtuse colleagues over the years, I can't recall anyone this bad. IMHO this is clearly AI generated. (Now watch me be wrong!).

• Thumbs Up 1

To this, I would only say, beware, the geeks are out there and being mistaken for AI might be their greatest compliment.  "Just sayin!"

• Thumbs Up 1

Well Nevada Dawg, I have had no answer to my inquiry email, thus I will assume it is.

I am curious about if others have the same impression I have, and I am glad you and other fellow OBD members agree so far.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 6/17/2023 at 10:42 PM, Joe fricken said:

To this, I would only say, beware, the geeks are out there and being mistaken for AI might be their greatest compliment.  "Just sayin!"

Good catch!  

(Even if it is a strange way for them to get their jollies)

But I caught it immediately, although I assume future AI versions will be a bit more sophisticated, or their prankster imitators will be!

Mr. FishDuck

The question isn't if it is AI (it is), but who signed up and put in the inputs to generate this, and why.

Enemy troll or homegrown troll??

On 6/17/2023 at 11:08 PM, 2002duck said:

The question isn't if it is AI (it is), but who signed up and put in the inputs to generate this, and why.

Enemy troll or homegrown troll??

It could be a Spammer who is testing things before an assault.

Mr. FishDuck

Could be someone considering running for office. They’re testing out their skills at politispeak on opinion sites. 

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 6/18/2023 at 7:21 AM, LB48 said:

Could be someone considering running for office. They’re testing out their skills at politispeak on opinion sites.

That was my initial reaction too.

• Thumbs Up 1

Silent_Running-Huey.jpg.1b5c42ffb19897d8ecea1ccdc8ac45ad.jpgThere is always a small person behind an AI

Edited by Mudslide
  • Haha 2

Yeah—that def reads artificial. 

I have seen a lot of AI-generated articles related to sports starting ~’18. 

Sports are pretty easy to summarize from just a box score. 

On 6/18/2023 at 12:50 AM, Charles Fischer said:

But I caught it immediately, although I assume future AI versions will be a bit more sophisticated

You just made Skynet's list.  Can't have the humans be this aware.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'd say it either AI, or perhaps a politician out of DC.