Charles Fischer

OBD Members: "We Are Surrounded by Morons"

There are a few exceptions, but the majority in this community are pretty smart and savvy about Oregon football and the process that goes on.  We know that we will get our butts-kicked once in a while, but we have the faith that under Dan Lanning...we will see a lot of winning in the near future.

Not every forum has so many with that wisdom, and what we see below makes me count my blessings!  As a fan base--we may be surrounded by morons at other sites, but not in our OBD forum!

• Wow 3
  • Haha 1
  • Mic drop 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

What is less than obvious to many is that when you put yourself out there and compete, you lose sometimes. The other end is when you sit behind a computer and do nothing, you never lose, but you also never win, therefore you are just a deadbeat, see above examples.

Lanning and Co. are competing everyday and are very comfortable with losing, because they are just getting better with each victory and loss. They are also winning more and more. What they are building is the exact opposite, a winner.

It is stunning when you see fanatics like the above examples. They obviously have never learned the actual process of becoming the best you can be. There is a lot of losing, and you learn from it each time.

I love when Lanning loses, because it shows he is in the hunt, and more often than not he will win. Lanning is actually the ultimate competitor. I agree with Charles the process Lanning is taking us through is the right one.

I'm grateful he has created a place where that process can be objectively observed, critically analyzed, respected and celebrated. 

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 2
  • Like 1

Can't win 'em all. It is amazing to see so many top recruits nationwide having Oregon in contention for a 'commitment.' As Hayward so correctly points out if you have a whole lot of skin in the game you will at least on occasion come up short. 

Miss Mario? How about "NO!"

• Thumbs Up 2

🤔Hmm.  Yes, Charles is correct, that message board should be changed from "Message Board Geniuses" to "Message Board Morons."  Oops did I just say that out loud?  😳My bad.

• Thumbs Up 1

If those guys are jabbering about Rushing, he played high school football 2.6 miles from Arizona Stadium.  Assume that means his parents are closeby, and his brother is already on the roster.

How many guys do we read about who enter the portal to "play near home" their last season?  A bunch.

Each situation is different.  Love him, or not, Taggart broke thru a barrier that said the Ducks couldn't recruit east of Dallas.  But, geography still plays a big role when a staff identifies potential recruits, willingness to leave family behind, etc.   Some guys you can't get in the game to commit, some guys leave the impression they are open to committing, etc. but still in the end stick close to home.

We all know it's difficult to recruit to most West Coast venues, especially smaller cities.  But, there was definitely a change starting with Taggart, then Cristobal, and bless his heart Lanning seems to be continuing it.

There's a bunch of 4 star or better recruits that scratch the Ducks early, some wait to late, some commit.  But, there's a heck of a lot more considering Eugene now than there has ever been.  Every school's staff has disappointments after putting energy and time into landing a guy, you can't get them all.  Hopefully for the kid their choice works for them.

Contrary to what Hayward Duck suggests, I don't think Lanning & company will ever love losing or be comfortable with it. Rather, I believe that they will know that it will happen on occasion and will wring as much positive growth out of it as is possible to keep it from happening again: "Embrace the Suck".

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh yeah scoop duck has some crazy people who lose their minds when Oregon misses a recruit. They were calling for Tosh to be fired the other day as "he serves no purpose other than to recruit" which is just false... Tosh is a very good positional coach, we're still learning about his coordinator skills. 

Losing rushing hurts... But that group also doesn't seem to understand that Jedd Fisch was an INCREDIBLE hire for Arizona. Sure the results aren't there at the moment but he is a dedicated and diligent coach. I love how his team played the last two years, they never gave up on the field. He's not going to win the vast majority of his recruiting battles.but he is going to win enough. 

Also... There is a scoop duck crowd that gets annoyed that Phil Knight and Division Street don't just out bid everyone for players with the NIL potential. 

I think the NIL game is pretty solid at Oregon. Right now they seem to have their numbers set and it really does seem like division street doesn't want to get into bidding wars, at least not this early in the cycle... But we have seen them get more aggressive down the stretch. Josh Connerly comes to mind as he likes Oregon more but USC had a bigger package and Oregon closed the gap at the end of the recruitment and landed him. 

I browse scoop duck all the time... But I never bother posting. You'll get drown out out there real fast.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I always wonder what it is about consistently-negative posters at such sites. What do they get out of bashing? Does it somehow build up their egos to tear others down?

I don't get it. I just don't get it.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

HDuck has it right. Rushing at AZ is like JustinH at Oregon. Duh!

Also, the AZ NIL consortium came up big for this guy. And Oregon nil will not get into bidding wars.

So we move on to the next kid.

Go Ducks!

On 7/8/2023 at 10:53 AM, Annie said:

I always wonder what it is about consistently-negative posters at such sites. What do they get out of bashing? Does it somehow build up their egos to tear others down?

I don't get it. I just don't get it.

A lot of these posters are just highly reactionary. Anything good or bad comes with extreme responses. It's kinda the nature of the internet... The most extreme response garner the greatest reactions. 

Granted I do think most get caught up in the immediate moment and never take a wider view of what is going on. 

Oregon is going to keep recruiting Rushing and they will probably take another good run at him leading into December and will probably take a shot with an updated NIL package. 

• Thumbs Up 1

It comes down to this with Rushing; Arizona cannot pay other players like you, thus you will not be surrounded by great talent as you will at Oregon.  You will get tripled-teamed as Thibs did here, but now we will other rushers who will take the pressure off you and allow you to have great stats, thus a better NFL contract.

Do you want the money now or bigger money later?  (And play with a winner)

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

On 7/8/2023 at 11:45 AM, Charles Fischer said:

It comes down to this with Rushing; Arizona cannot pay other players like you, thus you will not be surrounded by great talent as you will at Oregon.  You will get tripled-teamed as Thibs did here, but now we will other rushers who will take the pressure off you and allow you to have great stats, thus a better NFL contract.

Do you want the money now or bigger money later?  (And play with a winner)

And I'm sure that will be a follow up pitch. 

Though the flip side of things... KT was still a top 10 draft pick even when he was constantly double and triple teamed here. So for Rushing as long as he has some good film showing his potential he'll get drafted. 

Though... He'd be on a team with a lot higher ceiling at Oregon. Downside is he'd have to work harder to see the field... Which again would benefit him in the long run. 

It isn't over yet.

• Thumbs Up 1

I worry about negative 'talk' about as much as I think about UW's comings and goings. I give it a casual glance and chuckle at their demise. But, I don't give any meaningful time to pointless endeavors. 

To think any College team should fire coaches because they Whif on a few Big time recruits is preposterous. Oregon is vying for a top 10 recruiting class and is most likely going to flirt with a rank somewhere between 5-7. You don't whif on recruiting when you bring in a top tier class. Then notice the Portal Boys as well. 5* or all conference kids are ones that have proven themselves. A recent Oregon 5* kid didn't pan out for whatever reason. 

I'm just going to chuckle at the lunacy and plan my PSU day coming up in about 8 weeks. 

Booyah!!!!!!!!!

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 7/8/2023 at 12:04 PM, 1Funduck said:

To think any College team should fire coaches because they Whif on a few Big time recruits is preposterous.

What are Cal fans doing?  (Zero 4/5-Star players two years running, and to think Wilcox could have OUR coach?)  

giphy.gif

Some Oregon fans need to appreciate what we have!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 7/8/2023 at 1:20 PM, David Marsh said:

I think the NIL game is pretty solid at Oregon. Right now they seem to have their numbers set and it really does seem like division street doesn't want to get into bidding wars, at least not this early in the cycle... But we have seen them get more aggressive down the stretch. Josh Connerly comes to mind as he likes Oregon more but USC had a bigger package and Oregon closed the gap at the end of the recruitment and landed him. 

I browse scoop duck all the time... But I never bother posting. You'll get drown out out there real fast.

According to On3 Oregon's Division Street ranks third in the Top 10 NIL Collectives in college football.

Charles is right.  Arizona most likely shot for the moon with Rushing in NIL money.  But, their collective might not have the resources to go after more big talent.

On 7/8/2023 at 12:23 PM, NJDuck said:

According to On3 Oregon's Division Street ranks third in the Top 10 NIL Collectives in college football.

Charles is right.  Arizona most likely shot for the moon with Rushing in NIL money.  But, their collective might not have the resources to go after more big talent.

Pretty much guarantee this was it... A big time in state talent for Arizona. Worth throwing the bag at. 

The rest of their class will be three star talent and maybe a couple of four stars. 

On 7/8/2023 at 12:29 PM, David Marsh said:

Pretty much guarantee this was it... A big time in state talent for Arizona. Worth throwing the bag at. 

The rest of their class will be three star talent and maybe a couple of four stars. 

For the 2023 class and thus far of 2024....Oregon has 28 of the 4/5-Star players on Rivals, and Arizona has 4.  Of the 2024 class...Rushing is the only 4/5 Star out of 18 verbals to date. 

For all the talk about Arizona's coach? 

Mark Helfrich recruited better...

2014 Gary Campbell, Mark Helfrich, Marcus Mariota_Craig Strobeck.jpg

• Haha 2
  • Like 2

Mr. FishDuck

IDK, losing Rushing is a problem. Hometown school will always be a player for any recruit. Parents carry a lot of pull in that decision also.

But what about Oregon landing all that Washington talent? Oregon has pulled guys from 9 different states. Ducks have cleared that hurdle 9 times in this class alone.

Texans go to Okie and Okies go to Texas. Ducks have a ton of past and present players from SoCal. Georgia to Florida and vice-versa...

So I do think Lanning whiffed on this one. It's also not over yet. Early commit often flip

I would guess that Lanning is looking at himself, seeking out his part in why Rushing chose Az.

Lanning is a student of people and relationships as much as he is a football coach. He will look within for what went wrong and the Ducks will be a better progr'm as a result.

On 7/8/2023 at 12:59 PM, Log Haulin said:

I would guess that Lanning is looking at himself, seeking out his part in why Rushing chose Az.

The rumor is that two days before his announcement--he was all-Oregon until Arizona offered a crazy NIL amount.  It would explain why his parents were happy at his verbal ceremony, and he was not.  Oregon offers an attractive NIL, but not the best.  We will get out-bid on certain players. 

giphy.gif

• Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

The recruiting service sites will always have that “exuberance” because their mods fashion themselves as recruiting insiders and pound the drum endlessly for clicks by need to know first followers.   You’re bound to generate moronic posts in that environment. 

Thankfully, Charles has created a clubhouse where we can share Duck news minus the drama.

Edited by idontrollonshobbas
Typos

On 7/8/2023 at 1:22 PM, Charles Fischer said:

The rumor is that two days before his announcement--he was all-Oregon until Arizona offered a crazy NIL amount.  It would explain why his parents were happy at his verbal ceremony, and he was not.  Oregon offers an attractive NIL, but not the best.  We will get out-bid on certain players. 

giphy.gif

If Rushings recruitment decision was based on the singularity of NIL, he might have other issues Oregon doesn't need in the locker room. 

I am more inclined to think Lanning missed something. It's not the end of the world, it definitely ain't over either.

I hope I am right, maybe not. I hate to think that cash is the sole driver of some of these decisions. If so, I hope someone shows up in this young man's life and gets him on a better path.

Home, play with kin and cash is legit. Chances are that those three elements had a great impact on his decision. 

I still want Lanning to find his part, no matter how small, and fix that. The smallest navigational adjustment can make a huge impact. 

On 7/8/2023 at 1:46 PM, Log Haulin said:

I hate to think that cash is the sole driver of some of these decisions.

Georgia offers almost no NIL compared to most--as they can sell a different package.  Oregon's NIL, let's say $200,000 with all the other benefits is something a player can use to focus on school and football, and not have to work part-time.  But if a team (like Arizona) offers a million, (of which is the rumor) then for many players/parents....they gotta take that crazy money now. 

There isn't much left for the Wildcats to spend on other players, and thus Rushing won't have a great team around him...but he's got his.  I don't blame them, and I don't blame Oregon.  If Oregon matches his million dollar NIL, then you get bankrupted quickly when paying equal amounts to the rest of the Ducks.

You are right--we missed a good one, but there will be others in the 2024 class, and I think at least one of the other four Edge-Rushers recruited last year will materialize to help Matayo Ug. next year.

• Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 7/8/2023 at 9:06 AM, HDuck said:

If those guys are jabbering about Rushing, he played high school football 2.6 miles from Arizona Stadium.  Assume that means his parents are closeby, and his brother is already on the roster.

How many guys do we read about who enter the portal to "play near home" their last season?  A bunch.

Each situation is different.  Love him, or not, Taggart broke thru a barrier that said the Ducks couldn't recruit east of Dallas.  But, geography still plays a big role when a staff identifies potential recruits, willingness to leave family behind, etc.   Some guys you can't get in the game to commit, some guys leave the impression they are open to committing, etc. but still in the end stick close to home.

We all know it's difficult to recruit to most West Coast venues, especially smaller cities.  But, there was definitely a change starting with Taggart, then Cristobal, and bless his heart Lanning seems to be continuing it.

There's a bunch of 4 star or better recruits that scratch the Ducks early, some wait to late, some commit.  But, there's a heck of a lot more considering Eugene now than there has ever been.  Every school's staff has disappointments after putting energy and time into landing a guy, you can't get them all.  Hopefully for the kid their choice works for them.

Taggart did more than recruit well.  If he'd been intelligent enough ( ethical as well), his 2018 AND 2019 teams were playoff bound.  Warts and all, that offense he designed was perfect for Herbert- it was unstoppable.  And he had a top 3 recruiting class before he destroyed it.  

Talk about lack of vision.  Followed by another good salesman that couldn't deliver the goods in slow mo Cristobal.  

I believe Lanning is far ahead of both.  And if Bo Nix sells the double Post pattern to his right before running the ball against UW, he avoids injury AND  OBD go to the playoffs ( yes I'm saying it was poor execution, not a poor call for that situation- the safety HAS to stay honest if Nix looks to his right long enough).  

We all lose perspective sometimes, but Lanning has a  damn near top five 2024 class.  Some people just don't get that public service announcement about brains on drugs ( maybe their brains are just truly scrambled lol).  

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 7/8/2023 at 2:00 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Georgia offers almost no NIL compared to most--as they can sell a different package.  Oregon's NIL, let's say $200,000 with all the other benefits is something a player can use to focus on school and football, and not have to work part-time.  But if a team (like Arizona) offers a million, (of which is the rumor) then for many players/parents....they gotta take that crazy money now. 

There isn't much left for the Wildcats to spend on other players, and thus Rushing won't have a great team around him...but he's got his.  I don't blame them, and I don't blame Oregon.  If Oregon matches his million dollar NIL, then you get bankrupted quickly when paying equal amounts to the rest of the Ducks.

You are right--we missed a good one, but there will be others in the 2024 class, and I think at least one of the other four Edge-Rushers recruited last year will materialize to help Matayo Ug. next year.

Having Burch at Jack gives Ducks some wiggle room. Main reason I don't think missing on Rushing is as big a loss as it would have been in past seasons. 

Portal is a stop gap for misses like this. Still, Lanning needs to close on these opportunities. Pretty sure Lanning sees is that way.

1 mil is foolish if true. Not sure how that convo went in the Boardroom. Should have waited to start drinking till after the meeting. Yikes!

Taking a big NIL deal from the home town school? $1,000,000.

Prepping to be a top NFL draft pick by a defensive master mind? Priceless.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1

Big sigh...losing out on a recruit who chooses to stay home is just the nature of the business, it doesn't say anything about the program, the coaches, or the NIL committee, it's just life.  Bama, tOSU, Georgia, they all lose out on major recruits, you win some, you lose some, nobody is saying anything about the other DL guys we got from Arizona just last year.  

• Thumbs Up 1

I love my parents, but if I were offered a bunch of money in an NIL deal back in the day, I would pretty much keep 95% of it for myself. 

I understand that people have different household incomes, of course, but if you are 18 years-old that NIL money goes directly into an account just for you. Your parents can't touch it as it is when you receive it. 

Club hockey wouldn't have paid me NIL money anyway, so I guess I'm not missing out! 

Edited by 2002duck

Rushing's bro is a player at AZ, as well,  so it stands to reason his parents were beaming.

• Thumbs Up 1