Charles Fischer

It's True: The New B1G Will Be STRONGER than the SEC

If you look at the new conference, and add up the final rankings of each of the seven teams in both conferences at the end of 2022, (you want the lower number, the higher ranking) and you will see that the B1G's number is 70, and the SEC number is 96!  

My Duck-Buddies...we are entering the strongest football conference!  (My gosh this is juicy!)

• Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

Be interesting to get Paul Finebaum's spin on this. 

• Haha 1
  • Mic drop 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

But, Show Me the Titles? 

1 for the B1G (SIGH.) Since 1936, the SEC claims 30 football titles. has won 6 College Football Playoff titles.

In the Playoff to date, the combined B1G, Oregon, and UW record is 4-9.

Ohio State - 3-4/ Michigan - 0-2/ Michigan State 0-1/ UW - 0-1/ OREGON - 1-1.  

Show Me the Money! Yes. But the B1G is lacking in CFB/CBB Moneyball titles. 

Puddles, please change this ASAP!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 1

I am so glad this is finally done and the rampant speculation by the talking heads can move in!

Help me to understand my Duck Buddies, but didn’t our road to the CFP just get a lot harder?

• Thumbs Up 1

I agree with you, it did get harder. Yet I’m believing what Jon Joseph thinks, and that the playoff will be expanded to 16 teams later, and if Oregon has a good team…we will get in.

I believe the decision makers were looking at the total package of what the additional exposure will do for the Oregon brand, the money, and certainly if Dan Lanning was coaching in the SEC, the path to the playoff would be no easier.

But, I’m not going to beat it all up, because I’ve resolved a long time ago, that wherever Oregon ends up, I will be a fan and make the best of it.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

On 8/5/2023 at 11:28 AM, PittDuck said:

I am so glad this is finally done and the rampant speculation by the talking heads can move in!

Help me to understand my Duck Buddies, but didn’t our road to the CFP just get a lot harder?

Yes and no, the way to a conference title is most likely harder, but we are also probably going to get more credit for the wins that we do have.

We will have a bigger chance being a 10-2 non conference title team getting in than in the Pac-12, but the road to 10-2 might be harder.  A bit of a chicken and the egg scenario I think.  

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

We will also be given more credence for a quality loss as well. In fact 2 losses in the B1G to a top 5 opponent fairs much better than in the PAC. There was a path to the NC in recent years for a multiple loss team from the SEC. 

Edited by 1Funduck
  • Thumbs Up 1

This is just the latest step in tradition being taken over by capitalism. Unfortunately the capitalist don't care about travel and the impact on the 'student' athlete. On the other hand the students wanted money too, so they will have to live with the changes.

I don't like it, but Oregon will be fine, and fun to watch play on Saturday, Friday, and whenever, whereever those who control the conference wants them to.

I know........ I'm starting to sound like a.......

im-a-grumpy-old-man-grumpy.gif

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

CFP just get a lot harder?

Well, the PAC was only going to get one spot each year, so we'd have to win the PAC 7/8/9/10 title and/or be the top ranked PAC team each year. In the B1G there might be three spots- or even four sometimes as the playoffs change further. 

Personally, I'd say the second USC & UCLA left the PAC was forever to be a B-team conference no matter what. The only way it wouldn't would be if we got Oklahoma and Texas to replace them. Which...obviously was less likely than USC/UCLA coming back. 

On the plus side, you could say that every year is almost like one long Playoff now. If you aren't the best one or two teams in the country- you don't deserve to win the NC anyway. Underdog titles are fun for middle and high school sports, but in the real world the teams with the talent deserve to and should win. 

Also, there is recruiting. We can get better recruits being in the B1G and playing in LA every year than we could in the PAC- which would always be a few years away from collapsing. 

Edited by 2002duck
  • Thumbs Up 1

Here, FWIW, not much, is one scenario as to how B1G permanent scheduling football partners could break down.

Nebraska, OREGON, UCLA, USC, UW 

Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, Northwestern, Wisconsin

Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Rutgers

Indiana, Maryland, Penn State, Purdue

• Thumbs Up 1

Help me to understand my Duck Buddies, but didn’t our road to the CFP just get a lot harder

When the playoff moves to 12 teams there will be some 2 loss teams included. 

In any given year there aren't that many 1 loss teams. I mean last year it looked pretty difficult to really fill the field of 4 and there was some speculation a 2 loss teams (from the SEC) may sneak in.

Didn't happen that way... But a good 2 loss team will be in the 12 team playoff ... Will they win it? 

Going to be honest on that one... Probably not.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/5/2023 at 8:28 PM, David Marsh said:

In any given year there aren't that many 1 loss teams. I mean last year it looked pretty difficult to really fill the field of 4 and there was some speculation a 2 loss teams (from the SEC) may sneak in.

Didn't happen that way... But a good 2 loss team will be in the 12 team playoff ... Will they win it? 

David, with a Power 4 I'm not sure that the 6 conference champs being in the field will hold up. And come 2026, I expect a 16-team field with one team outside of the Power 4 promised a slot, no 1st round byes, and the B1G and the SEC routinely sending 3+ teams to the Playoff. If I am correct, which is, of course, doubtful, no Pac-12 team that left for the B12 and the prior add-ons to the B12, BYU, Cincinnati, Houston, and UCF, will make the field other than 1 B12 team that wins the conference title. 

When the ACC implodes and the B1G adds Notre Dame, UNC, Duke, and UVA and the SEC adds Clemson, FSU, NC State, and Georgia Tech, will there be a 'Playoff' beyond a field of Power 2 teams? Likely yes, because of anti-trust issues but B1G and SEC teams will dominate the field.

What is Miami's future?  Just asking for a friend.....

• Haha 2
  • Mic drop 1

On 8/5/2023 at 5:42 PM, Jon Joseph said:

David, with a Power 4 I'm not sure that the 6 conference champs being in the field will hold up. And come 2026, I expect a 16-team field with one team outside of the Power 4 promised a slot, no 1st round byes, and the B1G and the SEC routinely sending 3+ teams to the Playoff. If I am correct, which is, of course, doubtful, no Pac-12 team that left for the B12 and the prior add-ons to the B12, BYU, Cincinnati, Houston, and UCF, will make the field other than 1 B12 team that wins the conference title. 

When the ACC implodes and the B1G adds Notre Dame, UNC, Duke, and UVA and the SEC adds Clemson, FSU, NC State, and Georgia Tech, will there be a 'Playoff' beyond a field of Power 2 teams? Likely yes, because of anti-trust issues but B1G and SEC teams will dominate the field.

We're on the same page Jon. There will be 2 loss teams included and I don't see guarantees for conference champions after 2025. 

I also wouldn't count the Big-12 as a power conference. I think the ACC still counts but barely and that's only because they have some major programs like Clemson, FSU, Duke and I'll count Notre Dame. But they're next on the chopping block. 

I think the big-12 is under the illusion that they are a power conference but they aren't. I think the biggest sign of their future weaknesses showed itself last season with TCUs embarrassing national championship game appearance.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Just my $.02 worth, but I agree with Jon. Ratings are really bogus and I am much more interested with on-the-field results. I think that it will be a while, if ever, before the  B1G dominates the SEC in winning NCAA titles in men's football. I could be wrong, but it is really an empirical question.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/5/2023 at 8:42 PM, Jon Joseph said:

I think UNC and NCSU will go to the same conference and it will be a battle between the B1G and SEC. Both conferences will want those Raleigh and Charlotte TV markets since they’re two of the fastest growing cities in the U.S. It will come down to who offers the most money.

On 8/5/2023 at 10:00 PM, idontrollonshobbas said:

What is Miami's future?  Just asking for a friend.....

Power 3, if that. Miami was the 59th most (least?) watched in 2022 with an average of 608 viewers, fewer than Cal, Stanford, Washington State, and Oregon State.

The Miami media market is smaller than the Orlando market.

I can see the SEC adding FSU, the 15th most-watched team in the country on average in 2022, but not both FSU  and Miami. Florida will be forced to accept FSU as A+M was forced to accept Texas but Florida will not be forced to agree to add FSU and Miami, a small private school without its own stadium.

In addition to FSU, better ACC targets for the SEC are Clemson, UNC, NC State, and perhaps, even once-upon-a-time SEC member Georgia Tech.

BTW, if asked in jest, you hooked me in!

Edited by Jon Joseph

On 8/6/2023 at 9:49 AM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

I think UNC and NCSU will go to the same conference and it will be a battle between the B1G and SEC. Both conferences will want those Raleigh and Charlotte TV markets since they’re two of the fastest growing cities in the U.S. It will come down to who offers the most money.

UNC a B1G candidate? Yes. But NC State is not an AAU member school and this matters to B1G presidents. ACC AAU member schools - Pitt, UVA, Georgia Tech, UNC, Duke, and Miami. 

On 8/5/2023 at 8:28 PM, David Marsh said:

Great take David plus come 2024, Oregon will be part of 'East Coast Bias' and come 2026, part of 16 team field (my guess) with a different format to that originally put together by the MW commissioner, the Notre Dame AD, the B12's Bob Bowlsby and the SEC's Greg Sankey. With CFB now down to a Power 4, Sankey and the B1G commissioner, Tony Petitti,  in particular, will not go for giving 6 conference champs automatic bids and most likely, with not go for seeding preferences for conference champions. Both will want the top-ranked teams seeded in the order of ranking with 1 group of 5 representative only if a G5 team is not ranked in the top 16. 

Come 2026, the CFB football playoff revenue, without the ESPN exclusive and open bidding, is expected to grow to $1.5 Billion. I also expect to see come 2026 the SEC with at least 20 member teams, the season will uniformly begin on what is now Week 0, 10 B1G, and SEC conference games with the B12 and the G5 marginalized by strength-of-schedule. 

We are living in the world of Power 2 conferences with both more than willing to throw their weight around. I can easily conceive of a 2 loss Bama in 2022 winning it all, and even a three-loss team getting hot at the end of the season and winning it all. Especially if a team is seeded in the top 8 and ends up playing 2 playoff games on its home field.

Brave or not, it's a new college football world. And there is nothing the least bit collegial about any of this.  

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/5/2023 at 7:00 PM, idontrollonshobbas said:

Just asking for a friend.....

Who cares, dump your so-called friend.

• Cool 1

SATURDAYTRADITION.COM

Has anyone thought of poor Bill Walton? With the Pac-12 dying, will the B1G inherit the mantle of 'Conference of Champions?'

Hope so.

That's pretty cool.  I'm thinking of posting on my thoughts on how the BIG could guarantee at least 3 CFP invites by snagging Cal and Stanford but sticking to this measure of conf strength.

I think a formula assigning points to every team a conference lands in the T25 might help offer at least one measure.  My formula is as follows: (25 - ranking) + 1.

For example, being #1 is 25 points: (25 - 1) + 1.

Being #25 is 1 point: (25-25) + 1.

Using the list above:

SEC: 86 pts [Georgia: #1 (25 pts) - Alabama: #5 (21 pts) - Tennessee: #6 (20 pts) - LSU: #16 (10 pts) - Miss State: #20 (6 pts) - South Carolina: #23 (3 pts) - Texas: #25 (1 pt)]

BIG: 112 points [Michigan: #3 (23 pts) + Ohio State: #4 (22 pts) + Penn State: #7 (19 pts) + Washington: #8 (18 pts) + USC: #12 (14 pts) - Oregon: #15 (11 pts) - UCLA: #21 (5 pts)]

BIG is stronger than the SEC by this measure.

Edited by CalBear95
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 8/6/2023 at 11:33 AM, Jon Joseph said:
SATURDAYTRADITION.COM

Has anyone thought of poor Bill Walton? With the Pac-12 dying, will the B1G inherit the mantle of 'Conference of Champions?'

Hope so.

Lot of folks don’t like Bill but I think he is a breath of fresh air amongst all the bs that flies out of the mouths of sports writers and the east coast bias’s. 

Off topic a little but the school with the most nattys in college sports is now floundering around with no where to swim. Very sad in deed.

On 8/5/2023 at 1:20 PM, Charles Fischer said:

If you look at the new conference, and add up the final rankings of each of the seven teams in both conferences at the end of 2022, (you want the lower number, the higher ranking) and you will see that the B1G's number is 70, and the SEC number is 96!  

My Duck-Buddies...we are entering the strongest football conference!  (My gosh this is juicy!)

spacer.png

Edited by amcdawg
  • Haha 2

I remember prior to that 2006 BCS Title Game, that the B1G, PAC, and Big 12 were all considered on par or better than the SEC. Heck the ACC was in that mix too.

You had USC, California and Oregon in the PAC. You had Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State in the B1G. You had Oklahoma and Texas in the Big 12. You had Miami and FSU in the ACC.

Alabama wasn't dominant, Georgia wasn't elite, Florida was just coming back under Meyer. LSU won a BCS title with two losses, even that was split with USC. Then on that glorious January day in 2006 , Florida absolutely wrecked the 14 plus point favorite Buckeyes. Remember there was a call to have Michigan getting a rematch with Ohio State in that game. They were obviously the two best teams. Well USC wrecked Michigan in the Rose Bowl, and Florida bullied the Buckeyes in the BCS title game.

The next year LSU beat the Buckeyes in the BCS title game, and Florida beat Oklahoma the next year in the BCS Title Game. Alabama beat Texas the next year, and well folks, the rest was history. You had Auburn beating the Ducks the next year, Alabama winning the next over LSU. Alabama again over Notre Dame. Since that beating in 2006 you've had 5 SEC teams win a National Title. 

Clemson and Florida State have won a combined three for the ACC. Ohio State has one for the B1G. That's four titles since 2006 for every conference not named the SEC. Now you have Texas and Oklahoma in the SEC. You have USC in the BIG. Those three are the only teams outside Clemson, Miami, and Florida State, that have won a National Title this Millennium.

To say all the power lies in two conferences is an understatement. But unless you get Clemson, FSU and Miami into the B1G. I would say there is still a gap between the SEC and B1G. That's no disrespect to Washington or Oregon. They are great additions that make the B1G stronger. Iron sharpens iron, that's the SEC thinking. The B1G just adopted that as well. Undefeated records are gonna be things of the past.

In a year—we shall see!

Mr. FishDuck