Charles Fischer

Time to Add Seating at Autzen?

It would appear that UO Brass thinks so...  (The timing is interesting isn't it...after all these years?)

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

That's what I got out of it from listening to the press conference.  PD posted this:

247SPORTS.COM

Following admittance into the Big 10 conference, University of Oregon president Karl Scholz and athletic director Rob Mullens held a press conference. Here is a full transcript.

• Thumbs Up 1

Strike while the iron is hot!

Let's expand it and have 70,000 there when the first B1G power shows up.

Disclaimer though my tickets are on the north side and it sure seems like we're in poor part of town.

Yeah, Oregon Indiana will sell at least 70K seats. JK

• Haha 2

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Indiana has played in Autzen.  The stadium was full.  And, the Hoosiers kicked our butts.

I have seen Wiscy, Michigan and Mizzou games in Autzen that were jam packed with overflow crowd in the Parking Lot of another 10K or so.

I would like to see modest capacity expansion with more luxury seating for my tired, widening old man behind.  By luxury, I mean upscale food options, seat-service and ample bathrooms!

• Thumbs Up 1

For at least a decade....Oregon will be quite the novelty for B1G fans, and they will want to come experience it.  I'll bet we could get some VERY large B1G crowds at Autzen.  The "Yell-O" of the Michigan State game was awesome, and I'll bet Penn State would bring 20,000!

Autzen from Above_Video_FP.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

I wonder how long it will take to see the major players in Autzen. 

I'm guessing we see Rutgers, Maryland, Illinois, and Minnesota before Penn St. or even MSU, let alone tOSU or UM!

On 8/6/2023 at 10:23 AM, DanLduck said:

I wonder how long it will take to see the major players in Autzen. 

I'm guessing we see Rutgers, Maryland, Illinois, and Minnesota before Penn St. or even MSU, let alone tOSU or UM!

The BIG may just tell the Ducks "build it and they will come."

Aaaahhh....NO!

Mr. FishDuck

• Go Ducks! 1

Mr. FishDuck

Wut? Fuskie stadium? Barf.

Not the first look into expanding the north side and hooking up the end zones. The big issue has always been space between an expanded stadium with surrounding foot traffic area, gate, exterior side walk and MLK: just not enough space to accommodate all that as it stands..

Of course it can be done. But, a sizable purchase of developed property north of MLK would be required to create a reasonable traffic flow bow in MLK that would accommodate the push out, and not excessively interfere with normal traffic speed. Lots of problems to solve, but we’ve done it before.

As I look at Googlemaps it seems to my untrained eye that there would be room to mirror the other side.  However, as mentioned in the other stadium thread, there seems to be a problem with expansion needing an accompanying amount of parking.  Before the last expansion I think Autzen SEATED around 42.5K.  Now it sits at 54K.  11.5K gain?  Does anyone know for sure the ratio of new parking needed to new seats created?  I would think 4 tickets to one parking spot would suffice in my aging mind.

As I gaze upon Googlemaps I am having a very hard time finding land to put those spaces.  The usual suspects of the Masonic land, BMX track, and that science thing all seem viable, however they have not been touched thus far which makes me think the red tape must be voluminous with them.  (Also, the amount of little “wetland” islands that exist in the Autzen area seem like wonderful spots for Knife River to dump clean fill like the old north side waste.  Think about all of the exhaust that would not be created if the berm did not need to be trucked all the way to Fern Ridge).

Could the parking issue be satisfied with an expanded bus presence? Hell, mandate that only electric busses are used if that will help.  Get Elon on the blower and get Centennial Boulevard routed underground.  We need to think outside the box.  From practical to outrageous, all ideas have value.  The only wrong answer is “no, it just can’t be done”.

I have retired to Las Vegas for a reason: things get done.  If Autzen was here there would be no way the locals would not find a way to make it happen.  .  It’s called “git ‘er done”

On 8/6/2023 at 2:31 PM, DC Featherbutt said:

Does anyone know for sure the ratio of new parking needed to new seats created?

Tandaian quoted this in another post:

"Autzen had a nice 17 year run during the Chip Kelly years of selling out end in 2016.  I don't think we have had a streak of 2 games since.  Expanding another 13,000 would work for 1 maybe 2 games a season.  Plus, there are laws required for parking spaces.  Adding 13,000 would require 3,250 more parking spaces.  Where are they going to put those spaces?

There are essentially 2 exits out of Autzen and traffic is already a nightmare.  They have done a poor job of any sort of traffic flow for the last 5-7 years.  Adding more cars will make it worse.  It can take 2 hours to get out after the game."

So there are logistical hurdles that would have to be made.  But, it seems Rob Mullins, by mentioning it, Oregon must have a plan to handle it all.

I guess we'll see. 

One addition to the expansion issue. The space required to do the work.

The engineering of the previous expansion was specifically designed to accomodate a second phase.  They most likely already have those plans.

Not saying the other logistical hurdles aren't significant, but in the past those have all been overcome and I suspect that would be the case here.

Edited by noDucknewby
  • Thumbs Up 1

I wouldn't like to see Autzen get too big, it's not like we've been selling out every game consistently for the past few years, maybe there might be more interest, or we could see about the same level.  

Nothing is worse than when you have a decent game where you can see a ton of seats unfilled.  Students have to show up better as well, you see a lot of seats unfilled and then empty early.

I think with standing-room games Autzen has had 60,000.

More shuttle buses? (I take the shuttle, and love it.) Maybe a parking garage, if needed?

• Thumbs Up 1

I think they "upgrade" the north side and focus on fewer, high-yield ticket buyers.   If they can add 10,000 "seats" at double the revenue through amenities, services and experience upgrades it eases space, parking and I5 access issues.  

In other words more Ritz-Carlton and less Courtyard offerings....

Zoom out on googlemaps and look at all the unused real estate that the city is sitting on and has done nothing with in the last half century.  The eastern half of Alton Baker Park.  Lots of room for parking. For better access, build a new bridge across the river to Franklin Blvd and the freeway. To maximize the investment build the Ems new baseball stadium. Uncle Phil has done a lot for higher education, time to invest in K thru 12  and build a new Science Center. The Beach Vollyball team needs a facility. What better than a beach on the river. I envision a new Parkway looping Leo Harris to connect the new bridge. Expand the shelter and picnic areas for year round use. 

Eugene and Springfield has mostly underutilized their river frontage and it appears Eugene is caving in to developers and turning the River Front park at the EWEB property into a housing devlopment.  

My father worked at the city of Eugene Parks and Recreation for 30 years.  While working there, they hardly ever gave up any park area.  I would not expect Alton Baker Park to expand for Autzen Stadium parking for 7 maybe 8 days a year.

Everything south of Autzen along Leo Harris Parkway is already used for parking.  I have my tailgate in the BMX track.  The Masonic Lodge already has parking.  The NE corner of MLK and S Garden way is used for parking.  Alton Baker Park has limited parking spots.

I think it would be great if they put a 2nd level to completely cover the SE corner of Autzen parking.

As for buses, they have buses parked along a large portion of Leo Harris Parkway.  Plus, LTD shuttles.

Add upper row seating. Another 10K (?) on the south side would maintain the cover that's already there and add seating at the same time.

The suite owners would scream bloody murder.  They wouldn't be able to see the field if you added a 2nd deck.

The expansion is going to happen on the north side.

Expanding North side of Autzen Stadium ‘on our radar’ for Oregon Ducks

It could be getting a little bit louder at Autzen Stadium after Oregon joins the Big Ten.

UO is in the planning stages for renovating and expanding the North side of Autzen Stadium, according to a source with knowledge of the matter, who requested anonymity because they’re not authorized to speak publicly.

WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

Autzen is the fifth largest football stadium in the Pac-12, but it will be the 13th largest in the 18-team Big Ten

I’d wait to see the demand. Better to sell out then have empty seats. Things may not go as well as we think. 

Right now everyone is in the infatuation stage of our love affair with the B1G. It may or may not be warranted. 

Edited by lownslowav8r

Where Autzen Stadium ranks among biggest stadiums in Big Ten

With the Oregon Ducks announcing earlier this week that they will be joining the Big Ten in 2024, everything we know about the Ducks’ frequent opponents changes. One of the fundamental things that will shift, is the venues Oregon will visit during away games.

On Monday, Oregon’s defensive lineman Casey Rogers — who spent three seasons playing for the Nebraska Cornhuskers — said that the Big Ten is home to “the cathedrals of college football.”

While the Pac-12 has plenty of impressive football stadiums, the Big Ten is home to some of the largest football stadiums on the planet, amateur or professional, which breeds a different atmosphere on Saturdays than any Oregon fan will be used to.

Below is the stadium of every team that will be in the Big Ten for 2024, the city it is in, and the capacity.

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Autzen Stadium holds a lot of prestige and respect, but the Ducks will now travel to “the cathedrals of college football.” Here’s what...

The Big Ten talk show have been sharing a lot on Oregon and Washington.  They had James Crepea on and he gave a glowing review on Oregon.  He said that Oregon is building a new football practice facility and there are plans to expand Autzen stadium.

Oregon is preparing for the next stages they feel is needed.  One of them is preparing Autzen Stadium for Big Ten conference and for the new upcoming 12 team playoff.  If Oregon should wind up hosting.

If anything, the North side is badly in need of an upgrade.  Big Ten fans do travel well for away games.

• Thumbs Up 1

YES!

Meanwhile up north a few miles the Beavus just reduce their stadium capacity to 36,000 with SRO from 43,363.

Two programs heading in a different direction stadium wise. And they wonder why no one wants them.

Stadium smaller than #18 in the B1G, Northwestern at @47K.

Eyes on the prize, football average viewership in 2022.

12. Oregon - 2.210M

34. UW - 1.150M

41. Wazzu - 907K

57. Oregon State - 625K

As Charles and John Adams note - Facts are stubborn things.

I also note that Oregon State did not turn down the money earned by Oregon and UW from the football playoff and the money earned by Pac-12 schools from the CBB tournament. In recent years, OR ST chipped in with CBB money once. Baseball championships do not equal dollars.

On 8/8/2023 at 11:24 AM, GODUCKS15 said:

Two programs heading in a different direction stadium wise. And they wonder why no one wants them

Well, until the got screwed, they were a program on the way up. Another four or five years of improvement and they would have been much more sought after. I root against the Beavs on the field, but take no satisfaction about what just happened to them. 

• Thanks 1

Expand the stadium, but build for noise. The stadiums acoustics need to add up to the loudest stadium in the nation. We can't be the biggest, but we can be the loudest, if we plan for it. 

Build it nice, upgrade the food, maybe make more shade, rain cover, but focus on the sound. Autzen where 11 on the noise volume lives.

Most blokes go to 10, we go to 11!