Charles Fischer

Would YOU Want Stanford & Cal in the B1G?

I would think that even a quarter share of the B1G payout would be better than a Mountain West revenue payout.  I want them in the B1G because...

1. It would make a six team pod on the west coast, thus we have five games with them, and four more among the other B1G foes.  Two of long-distance B1G opponents at home, and only two away...and that's not bad.

2. It would help the minor sports a TON.

3. Obviously it would cut travel costs for all sports.

4. We need some cannon-fodder in our new conference. We won't have Arizona and Colorado to kick around anymore...

5. Foe familiarity; it would ease the move with common opponents of the past.

6. Easier travel for fans.

7. Easier for California recruits to visit games of the Ducks.

What are your thoughts?

Brandon Dorlus closes in...

Brandon Dorlus at Cal_NDP.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

From a rivalry perspective I'd rather have OSU and WSU....but that's a non starter. 

So sure... I'd take Cal and Stanford. 

Granted... It if west coast expansion continues in this direction wouldn't there be the Pac-8 in the B1G? I wouldn't mind having yearly games against the pac-8. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Can I split the difference?  Oregon State and Stanford....

• Haha 1

Anything which would bump dawg fans down from thinking they are an elite academic school in the BIG is good with me. I do wonder if the BIG knows the dawgs have never won a men's NCAA title? The dawgs mens athletics is an illusion! Washington is a decent academic school with women's athletics, and some decent men's club sports.

The travel plus would be good too!

Yes. Without question.

2 of the premier private/public schools in the land that happen to be within driving distance.  Check

Tons of green and yellow alumni in general area.  Check.

Familiarity. Check

Can only help to lure Notre Dame in a few years.  Check

NOT the beavs.  Check.

I do not understand the wanting of OAC in all of this.  The events of yesterday went a long way to making the state of Oregon a one team state.  I have dreamed of this all of my life.  We gain nothing by having OAC exist.  I don’t even want them as an OOC matchup.  Let them enjoy their trip to Albuquerque and their 18K that show up at beandip arena to see the always tricky Wolfpack of Reno.

• Haha 1

I took a break from posting as I needed a time out but this is a question I care about deeply.

Yes.  

Most of this is covered in Charles' post but my take is...

1) Own the major west coast markets

2) Logistics/better travel

3) My own selfish interests

4) My arrogance - we don't culturally fit in the MWC

5) We do culturally fit in the BIG

6) Keeps Olympic sports alive

7) Maintains the best under the radar rivalry with UW in rowing - two perennial top 3 programs.

The fall of the PAC hurts my heart in so many ways.  I logically get the 'why' but a chunk of my fondest memories as a kid and my 20s are now reduced to wistful nostalgia. 😪

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

It would definitely help with travel and with non football sports, but I think it would have to happen before USuC get their full member vote.

I just don’t see those whining cheat bags approving anything that could benefit the Ducks in any way, shape, or form.  Even if it would benefit them as well.

They are simply too petty.😏

On 8/6/2023 at 8:48 AM, PittDuck said:

Even if it would benefit them as well.

It would help their minor sports a TON, and as we know--the Trojans have a natural rivalry with the 'Furd.  This should happen!

• Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

Years ago it would have been a no brainer because the two schools are undeniably two of the premier academic schools in the US. They bring the Bay Area and Stanford has a national audience. The BIG used to be rather stiff shirt about such things. 

Today.....I personally think it's still a no brainer but....the cash drives most everything and I'am not sure those old guys in the midwest are ready to make another major move. Hopefully they will see the light and go ahead and invite them.

I would love to see FSU and Clemson join the B1G. It would make the league even more competitive. It would also

make it to where I could watch the Ducks play every few years here in Florida!!!

While FSU and Clemson would be great, who is going to pay their ACC buyout?

CAL is pretty much cannon fodder, at least OSU is respectable in many more sports.

I doubt that FOX would let OSU in before CAL from a financial stand point.

And lets face it, FOX is driving this bus. 

I have been wondering if the Apple model gets used here to generate the revenue needed to make this work.  As a pure play it's risky but as a supplement...?

Now that UO is in the BIG, the interests of the BIG come first. And since football rules the roost, I don't see how Cal and Furd make the BIG any stronger. They would be feathers in the academic cap for sure but I think the BIG's priority is to keep up with the SEC in football. FSU and Clemson seem like the next biggest prizes to go after in the expansion game.

Don't care if they aren't in the B1G! There can be a western pod with Nebraska & Iowa.

Adding Cal and Stanford to the B1G certainly works on an academic level. It would create a west coast pod that would reduce travel for the teams and preserve some sense of the traditional PAC. It solidifies all of the western major media markets and might actually generate some CFB interest in the SF Bay area.

There are no other natural landing places for the two premier academic institutions in the west. A revamped Pac with the likes of SDSU, Fresno St, UNLV, Boise St, etc isn't really much of a fit. Forget about the Mountain West. Big 12 maybe, but still not a great option. 

If Cal is able follow UCLA to the B1G there won't be any political friction or payoff problems within the UC system once you get past the partial share issue. That should bring UCLA on board.

Stanford could go it alone ala Notre Dame but likely couldn't generate the same financial incentives for linear broadcast as the golden domers. Stanford brings big value in the non-rev sports and certainly WBB. And it preserves the Big Game if Cal moves with them.

U$C is going to whine no matter what. Their biggest fears have already come to fruition with the addition of Oregon to the B1G. Push comes to shove, I think the Trojenz won't fight the tide if every other B1G institution wants to let Cal and Stanford in. 

Yes absolutely.  For that matter I would be fine with the rodents and wazoo, as unlikely as that may be.

UCLA would probably support Cal so they don't have to give them part of their TV payout, but I just don't see the Spoiled Children agreeing to any further B1G expansion because it might cut into their payout and their precious exclusivity.  The odds of any of this happening go way down once USC gets a vote.

Cal is in a really tough spot, Furd could possibly be used to entice ND and that would give the B1G the Bay Area.

Edited by noDucknewby

Absolutely. The BIG needs to throw them a lifeline.  Even if it is a 1/4 share to start, I think it benefits everyone.