Charles Fischer

What a Tool: Oregon State AD Scott Barnes...

When asked what he would do if Oregon State had been offered a chance at going to the B1G?  He indicated he would have stayed in the Pac-12, and "worked it out."

giphy.gif

Oregon State would have gone in a heartbeat, and not felt the least bit bad about it.  In fact they would have considered it a double win....more money AND sticking it to Oregon!

The pathetic blaming of Oregon from Beaver fans is disgusting, and indicative of their nature.

• Haha 2
  • Mic drop 1
  • Great post! 3
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

That's so much bull.....

Had the Big Ten offered Oregon State, Barnes' response would have been, "Quick, get me a pen before they change their mind!'

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Like 1

Agree.  Of course he would say that.  OSU was the one left behind.

At this moment, Stanford is willing to join the ACC for free.  They see no value to try and resurrect the Pac-12 from the ashes.

• Thumbs Up 3

image.thumb.gif.85460c718ec6acaa49e674c4b1c68b35.gif

Edited by Jon Joseph

Very easy to say when you're the team that is looking into the abyss. 

Oregon State and Washington State are victims in this whole mess... But it's not Oregon or Washington's fault. 

They are merely the first two victims of many. The ACC is on the chopping block next but their buyout is so large they are protected for now. Maybe... 

But the media companies are calling the shots and they have determined that Oregon State and Washington State aren't worth the money or they would be in the B1G or Big 12. 

In this year old article I did make a prediction that the new overlords of college football will start grooming their chosen schools. They've done that so far. 

FISHDUCK.COM

This will come as no surprise to any of you, but the NCAA is dead. It ceded away its power to the major conferences through its reluctance to complete…

Cal and Stanford are in limbo right now but they have maybe one or two more options than OSU and WSU. 

Edited by David Marsh
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 5

Ultimately, it is all shaking out to true school value. The BIG level schools are heading to the BIG, The B12 level schools are heading to the B12. The MWC level schools will be joining/ merging with the MWC. The independent minded schools will be going independent.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/18/2023 at 8:56 AM, Charles Fischer said:

and "worked it out."

Well, he can set his sights a little lower and "work it out" in the Mountain West (if they will have him)!

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/18/2023 at 2:12 PM, David Marsh said:

Very easy to say when you're the team that is looking into the abyss. 

Oregon State and Washington State are victims in this whole mess... But it's not Oregon or Washington's fault. 

They are merely the first two victims of many. The ACC is on the chopping block next but their buyout is so large they are protected for now. Maybe... 

But the media companies are calling the shots and they have determined that Oregon State and Washington State aren't worth the money or they would be in the B1G or Big 12. 

In this year old article I did make a prediction that the new overlords of college football will start grooming their chosen schools. They've done that so far. 

FISHDUCK.COM

This will come as no surprise to any of you, but the NCAA is dead. It ceded away its power to the major conferences through its reluctance to complete…

Cal and Stanford are in limbo right now but they have maybe one or two more options than OSU and WSU. 

Great take and therein lies the rub for Cal and Stanford. Clemson, FSU, UNC, NC St with the existing 14 ACC members, and half-pregnant Notre Dame need 4 votes today to crater the ACC and end the crummy media deal that runs through 2036 (!) without paying any exit fee. Why would these 4 want to add more votes needed to break up the conference?

And by adding Cal/Stanford, how many more subscribers would the ACC network pick up and how many more advertising dollars would ESPN pick up?

Conversely, Notre Dame, the school reported to be leading the charge for the Cal/Stanford addition was looking out for its own interest. Notre Dame has a great ACC scheduling deal that provides a home for all other ND sports other than ice hockey where ND is a B1G member which allows the Irish to stay independent in football. IMO, there is no way that the B1G and the SEC will bend over to accommodate ND, financially and/or schedule-wise. I think and hope, that come 2026 the B1G and the SEC will have the power to tell ND to join a conference or get Playoff lost. 

I know it is shocking but once again self-interest and not good for the game interest rules.

• Thumbs Up 1

If I was offered a position that payed me ten times my current salary, I wouldn't take it. I love my job too much, I love my coworkers. I know every single one of them would do the same. Unless they were pond scum. Never ever ever....Ever!!! We are united forever. Throw in a company car, I prefer my Honda. Throw in a huge signing bonus, my wife and kids would be ashamed of me. Throw in a new home ,in a gated community, with a huge pool ,in a huge backyard. . I enjoy sweaty Burts summer hotdogs ,at the community pool.

I will never accept that position, that will never be offered to me. Makes me a swell guy right?...... Hold on I just got a call..... 

-Just joking-  Good luck guys. Just got an opportunity too good to pass up. I gotta do what's best for my family. Just like that guy I maybe skewered on social media last month. I'm sowwy Phil. Pool party at my new digs!!

Edited by GatOrlando
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

You know....I am losing every bit of sympathy I had for Oregon State...their judgment is similar to their long term record; LOSERS.

Beaver Blame.jpg

Is Oregon to blame?  Of course!

What LOSERS.  You have a crappy brand, and a poor following; whose fault is that?

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

Do Beaver fans EVER refer to their prior Athletic Directors...those who made the bad decisions?  The lack of branding and marketing?  No.  It is Oregon's fault...

It is a loser mentality..."it is not my fault...it is Oregon's fault!"

Football Coach Dee Andros with players on the sideline, Oregon State  University, Corvallis, Oregon, circa 1971 | Oregon Digital

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Get ready, Beavers....

11904760.png

• Haha 1

Mr. FishDuck

My mistake! They do have marketing....I challenge all to see if anyone can make it through that video.  I made it 34 seconds...

"I wonder why they don't have a good brand?"

• Wow 1
  • Haha 1
  • Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

Yikes, nothing more inspiring than a rural White rap song about chainsaws. I made it to 44 seconds. I am not proud of that.

• Haha 1

When asked what he would do if Oregon State had been offered a chance at going to the B1G?  He indicated he would have stayed in the Pac-12, and "worked it out."

If loyalty is so important to Scott Barnes, then why isn't he still the AD at Utah State?

I'm sure that money and prestige had nothing to do with his decision to leave for Pitt and then Oregon State...

• Mic drop 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/19/2023 at 8:36 AM, Charles Fischer said:

My mistake! They do have marketing....I challenge all to see if anyone can make it through that video.  I made it 34 seconds...

The most retarded thing I've seen in a long while.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/20/2023 at 1:36 AM, Charles Fischer said:

At first I thought this was a joke, only to cringe when I realized this was actually for real lol!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/19/2023 at 1:21 PM, OceaniaDuck said:

At first I thought this was a joke, only to cringe when I realized this was actually for real lol!

In 1991 when Oregon only won three games due to massive injuries...the Beavers won the Civil War (14-3) for their only win of the year, (1-10) they actually made and distributed a video for OSU fans that was titled...

"We Own the State"

Doesn't that define a loser mentality?

• Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

giphy.gif

Oregon State would have gone in a heartbeat, and not felt the least bit bad about it.  In fact they would have considered it a double win....more money AND sticking it to Oregon!

The pathetic blaming of Oregon from Beaver fans is disgusting, and indicative of their nature.

Yeah, he said in his efforts to “work it out” he has had zero communication with Kliavkoff. Sounds like a hot mess, especially now that it appears Stanford is bolting for the ACC. Pass on a golden opportunity to join the Big for a chance to remain in that? Hmm, that doesn’t sound like good leadership.

Edited by Chas Man

Both state teams were just lucky the pac carried them all those years. When you are mountain west and get to play with the big guys you should understand your role  and be appreciative. Instead both programs demanded revenue equality with USC, Oregon, UCLA, Washington, Arizona and will end up where they belong. Should have allowed the big boys their due amount. 

Edited by fred flintstone

I agree with this reader's response.  What Barnes doesn't fully understand, it was more than just the money for Oregon.

Readers respond: Big Ten move involved more than money

WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

Letters to the Editor can be submitted to letters@oregonian.com with full name and place of residence.

That was embarrassing, at best.

Any decent logger knows you use the tool to the best of your ability, and let the chips fall where they may.

Using a chainsaw implies bringing the wood... something the beavs rarely accomplished on a consistent basis.

On 8/19/2023 at 8:36 AM, Charles Fischer said:

I am not familiar with that logging outfit. Not getting much work done. 

Only thing missing is a Bigfoot 

On 8/19/2023 at 8:59 AM, CountryProf said:

Yikes, nothing more inspiring than a rural White rap song about chainsaws. I made it to 44 seconds. I am not proud of that.

No guts no glory. Reached down deep inside and went for it. 47 seconds. You can send congrats and get well cards to the ICU in Port Angeles.

• Haha 1

Barnes is clearly trying to cover for the fact he was not prepared or was asleep at the wheel or both.  Whatever cliché you want to use probably fits. He got out maneuvered and now he is trying to place the blame elsewhere.   I get that, we all have our moments but if I were him I would keep my mouth shut and stay busy.

• Thumbs Up 2

Well we made it to the airport

Caught the last plane out.

As we taxied down the runway 

I could hear those Beavers shout,

"Don't come back here Puddles!"

But if I ever do

I'll bring B1G money 

And maybe a Natty or two. 

image.thumb.gif.a9ddc54562518e3fac3e2db67e68c71b.gif

On 8/21/2023 at 8:46 AM, Augduck said:

if I were him I would keep my mouth shut and stay busy.

Misery loves company? Barnes may be the type who can’t resist preaching to the choir.

• Thumbs Up 1

In wonderful irony for whiners…

Barnes now a rumored candidate for the vacant UW AD job.

USC hates that UO and UW are now in the B1G, yet hires UW’s AD who made that B1G leap.

WSU AD a strong candidate for Ohio St B1G AD job.

• Thumbs Up 1

I hear that the Mountain West looks pretty nice this time of year.🤣

• Haha 1

Ouch!

• Haha 1

Mr. FishDuck