Pennsylvania Duck

Colin Cowherd Suggests USC Skips Pac-12 Championship If It Qualifies

Fox Sports’ Colin Cowherd suggested USC skip the Pac-12 Championship Game, if it could, late in the season. Yes, skip it in order to protect themselves to make the College Football Playoff.

If USC is that good, why play for a conference title in a league where the Trojans are leaving anyway; Cowherd explained it like that on his show. In this scenario, USC is 11-1 with its lone loss coming to one of Oregon, Washington or UCLA at the end of the season.

So at 11-1 on the season and potentially No. 3 in the country at the end of the year, Cowherd said no thanks to the Pac-12 Championship, if he were USC.

“Here’s a story that may not happen but it’s fascinating to think about,” Cowherd said on The Herd Wednesday. “So USC is going to be very dynamic offensively between Caleb Williams and Lincoln Riley.

Okay, so they’re gonna move up the rankings very fast. They’re going to score 60 points more than once. They’re going to curry a lot of favor when it comes to the College Football Playoff rankings and their schedule is tough. So I don’t think they’re gonna go undefeated. 

“My guess is (one of) Washington, Oregon, UCLA …. knock them off, but because they will have built up so much credibility …  I think at the end of the year, there’s too many good games they’ll lose a game so they will be on the cusp of getting into the playoff with (the likes of) LSU, Georgia, Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson, Michigan.”

That’s where Cowherd proposed a scenario never done before in the modern era, at least to fulfill this plan.

• Haha 2

Playing to his LA audience, a tool for them no doubt.

Skipping the Pac-12 Championship game is called Forfeit, and Oregon will take the conference championship by default just fine!  I don't want to play a team again that we already defeated earlier in the season anyway!

giphy.gif

• Haha 2
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

Total BS, they skip it goes down as a forfeit in my book.  You don't get to pick and choose the games you want to play in conference, even if you're the spoiled children.

• Thumbs Up 1

As usual Colin trying to find a way to make it easier on the big market team, he's an absolute joke with his bias for any team that comes from L.A or New York, or any of the major metropolises.  Hate the guy with a passion, all he cares about is ratings, both for his show and for whatever sport he's talking about, always is more about what will make the most money, has no care about the quality of the sport or what is best for the sport.

• Thumbs Up 2

Yes, avoid the team that gave you your only loss. The same team you wanted to avoid by changing conferences. The same team you wanted your new conference to avoid bringing in. The same team that will live rent free in your head no matter how hard you try to avoid it.

• Mic drop 5
  • Great post! 2
  • Applause 1

Obviously, Cowherd has never played organized sport and is not a COMPETITOR. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Brilliant! On the way out the door breach a contract and pay an 'exit fee' instead of leaving without paying the same.

image.thumb.gif.ec2be37bed247870077c55e942186b4b.gif

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Cowturd is applying the same avoidance logic used by draftable players to avoid injury, only now it’s a whole team? What’s next? The SEC champion drops out of the CFP to avoid injury so they can participate in the NFL play offs? Eat what’s on your plate!

• Applause 1

I say stupid crap every day and no one pays me for it. Nope, if I want to get paid I gotta get up at 1 a.m. and drive a mule train. 

Some guys get all the luck.

Don't give it a second......USC is so overrated that they will not make a major bowl. Hopefully if they win it all most of you will forget this post. 

No backups on the defensive line and the entire line a bunch of transfers with very little starting experience or excellence. Why would a guy who was playing at Georgia, ranked number 1, and supposedly going to start transfer to USC. The cash answer is stupid because if he was good and looking at the NFL that is the cash.

One injury and a 270 pound defensive tackle comes in.

Slow linebackers or folks that weigh 215 pounds. I saw their starting linebacker trail a TE by 3 steps last year. An overrated safety that avoids contact. Two players that transferred from Arizona, one of the worst defenses I ever saw last year, that are starting. A corner coach that is not very good. A defensive coordinator that is not very good. One of their primary backups in the DB is 5" 9" and really 5' 8". How does he cover a TE coming over the middle? 

As far the offense.....a guard that played for Wyoming without awards, a left tackle that was the right tackle last year and a little slow....because the transfer from Florida, that was supposed to solve it all and start at left barely beat out a backup at right tackle instead......and that backup got pancaked several times last year against Utah and Tulane. The runners are OK but without Travis Dye, he was a step better than anything they have now. Their receivers are OK but a lot of transfers that did not show greatness where they were....and don't block very well.  

and......a great QB....that got very lucky most of last year avoiding hits but when he got hit was injured. 

Sorry....this could get ugly quick.....for the 6th ranked team. 

I've said it.......going for a drink. 

• Wow 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 8/23/2023 at 3:47 PM, Log Haulin said:

I say stupid crap every day and no one pays me for it. Nope, if I want to get paid I gotta get up at 1 a.m. and drive a mule train. 

Some guys get all the luck.

At least the guy cracking the whip on the mule train actually produces something of value!

• Go Ducks! 1

Enough said.  USC relegated to the Alamo Bowl.  I guess Coward, oops I mean Cowherd, wants USC to avoid this scenario.  Oh Cowherd, if they are predicted to go to the Alamo Bowl, they've already lost a few.

Well Colin, that should have happened last year. But as you see, they are still part of the PAC. You can't just "nah we good" your way out of a conference title game. Because television money is already invested. In essence the B1G, SEC teams can say they aren't a part of their future conference right? Because both will have new members. The Big 12 could say that as well.

So Ohio State, Michigan, USC, Oregon, Alabama, Georgia, Texas, and Oklahoma all have one loss. Each says "nah we good". How's that weekend gonna look? Better yet, how are those lawsuits gonna look? If this happens, you are the lead conspirator Cowherd. We have proof!!!

This just isn’t how any of this works. The Pac-12 Championship isn’t an invitational, it’s a conference game. 

As others have mentioned, it would be an L in the conf championship game.

How is the CFP committee going to judge a Pac-12 team that loses a conf champ game without recording a single stat?

I don’t care if the team is 12-0 going into the game, there is zero chance the committee invites the loser to the CFP. 

I have just read two separate threads, the main thrust of which, respectively, were:

1. Dwight Jaynes doesn't get the new Duck billboard campaign's ROI

2. Colin Cowherd is a ratings opportunist (cleaned this up a bit)

Color me shocked.....these two have been pontificating and whiffing for over 3 decades.

If Dwight Jaynes were the Ducks AD, we would be looking up the standings at George Fox

• Great post! 1

People seem to be forgetting that $ rules everything when it comes to college football: Imagine the chorus if SC were to pass on another payday. Don't expect the coaches to be on board with a forfeit either, as most (if not all) have incentive bonuses which probably include playing in the conference championship game. 

-and-

isn't a forfeit counted as a loss?

Really, why should USC have to play any regular-season games? They're so good, they should just have bye weeks until the playoffs. Everybody knows it, jeez.

• Haha 2

frick-i-de-doo-dah. What a unique take on getting into the CFP by Cowherd. So who died and made U$C king? They laid an egg against Utah (who staged a great 2nd half comeback) in the 2022 Pac12 championship game then squatted out a whole baker's dozen against TULANE !(kudos to the green wave).

"Check out my crib" Riley whiffs on the big games routinely. No way they back in without beating Oregon or anyone else in the PAC championship. The beauty in all this is that we get to stick in the craw of the spoiled children for decades to come in the B1G. 

Edited by EastBayDuckDad
Misspell
  • Thumbs Up 1