Annie

Do You Clap for the Opposing Team When It Runs onto the Field? And What About Booing?

I do clap when the opposing team runs onto the field, though the heartiness of my applause is in inverse proportion to how good the other team is (or is expected to be).

For example, I will clap warmly for Portland State and Hawaii, but my applause for USC will be tepid at best. For a couple of long-time arch-enemy teams (you, and they, know who they are) I keep my hands folded in my lap.

I rarely boo, except the refs--and even Miss Manners says booing the refs is part of the game experience.

How about you, when it comes to clapping and/or booing?

Edited by Annie
  • Applause 1

I've never liked booing the opposing team when they run onto the field. Like Annie I'll give some respect to overmatched teams just for showing up, but I generally don't clap for Pac-12/9/4 teams (not that've been to a game in person in a while).

• Thumbs Up 1

I boo.

• Haha 2

I don't wear the opposing teams colors, and would probably get off Hwy 99 if I had to go through Corvallis on my way to Eugene. I certainly wouldn't buy gas, or food in Corvallis, not a fan of potato salad anyway.

As far as the refs, booing is ok on those fools. That is the one thing which will definitely be better in the BIG, IMHO, their refs.

I don't enjoy sitting next to beaver, dawg or opposing fans, but I don't boo players, unless it an unsportsmanlike penalty. I tend to go a little crazy on those calls, or lack of call. I have been known to yell Noonan at opportune times out of love for the greatest golf movie of all time, not too loud though.

• Thumbs Up 1

USC and fusky get boos, hissing and a foul tongue. Pride in it is in correlation with the cleverness of my heckling. 

• Haha 1

I'll show my respect for the OOC lesser division teams that show up for a payday, except maybe Eastern Washington. I'll even quietly applaud our little brothers up the road. We are all Oregonians and I have two grandsons that went there.  Applause for Chip Kelly, lots of good memories there, but not his team. 

I save my Boos for the refs.

• Thumbs Up 2

I say it depends on if you are a current student or not.

I'm in my forties, so booing anyone but the Huskies would be a bit sophomoric for me. That said, in the late 90's or Y2K timeframe, when the internet e-commerce world was just getting its legs, I ordered a custom bumper sticker that said "OSU FOOTBALL SUCKS".

I don't regret doing that at all, mostly because it was a one off that nobody else was doing, so it was all in good fun. I never stuck it to my car (I leaned it up against the rear window inside) because I didn't want to get keyed, but I did get a handwritten note left on my windshield one time from an Oregon State fan even though I was parked by the UO bookstore. About a few months later someone broke into my car and stole it. 

To justify why I ordered it- my girlfriend at the time graduated was living in Portland while I was at UO, and out of nowhere the Beavers actually had a good season, causing tons of OSU fans to buy tons of flair for their cars, which drove me crazy while driving to Portland every other weekend. I made sure the Beaver fans read it before speeding off after they would honk and scream. Pretty juvenile- I know!

Anyway, I don't really recommend booing the other team when they come out unless it's the Huskies (or the refs?), but I certainly wouldn't clap for anyone either. 

Also, I generally want the Ducks to run up the score as much as possible in every game- so there is that.

Edited by 2002duck
  • Thumbs Up 1

I never boo the opposing team running out for the game.

In fact I cheer.

Well below the volume I use when my Ducks run out, but loud enough. 

I still believe they are kids, and doing their best. And also, it's just a game.

I'll even ask those around me to please refrain from booing.

If not for the other team, who would we be playing? Right?

In fact, I don't boo any person. I may boo a bad call by the refs, I might boo an unsportsmanlike behavior, but it isn't directed at the person.

I love visiting teams. Who else are we going to beat up on. 🤣

• Thumbs Up 1

here's something i learned from an esteemed bitter rival:

"Always treat your opponent with great respect; before, during and after the contest.

That way, if you lose, you come out showing great class.   And if you win, well it’s just that much better."

Don James          

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I don’t respond at all to the visiting team taking the field at Autzen Stadium. I save up my booing and whining for the officials, but I’ll admit that I groaned out loud last season at the occasional inexplicable play calls in crucial situations by Dilly.

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

My choice of clapping or booing is directly proportional to distance travelled by the opponent.

The shorter the distance, the louder the boo.   The longer the distance, the more sustained the clapping.

Obviously I may have to adjust when tOSU arrives for that first Big Ten contest.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think when i see purple, or orange running onto the field, it is more of an eww, than a boo. 

Edited by Drake
  • Haha 1

In general I usually clap politely or nothing at all, only teams I generally have a desire to express my distain for are UW and USC, the other schools I just don't have the desire to hate.  It usually just ends up being how I feel about that team, for instance I probably wouldn't clap Colorado since I really dislike Deion, but I really don't have any strong feelings against Cal or ASU.  

OOC teams I generally clap politely, I can't really think of a team I hated that came here for a game I was in person for.  BSU I probably won't clap for since I'm still pissed off at how they deliberately took out Masoli with a late head shot.  

The games I really just shake my head at when I hear boos are when we're playing a team like Portland St. or New Mexico, I mean what is the point of that, they came here for a paycheck are completely overmatched and you're acting like this is some hated rival that just stole your girl, I mean come on!

Edited by spartan2785
  • Thumbs Up 2

I cheer for my team, but I don't boo the opposing side. I don't give them any energy. For one, I think opposing teams take that energy to fuel them. But that's not why I don't boo. It also isn't because I'm afraid of hurting their feelings. Mostly I'm too lazy, and reserved to get that animated for an opponent. 

Little brothers fascinate on hating big brother, almost more than loving themselves. Auburn hates Alabama, Oregon State hates Oregon. Washington State hates Washington. Iowa State hates Iowa. Oklahoma State hate Oklahoma. Texas A&M hates Texas. UCF hates Florida. 

I've noticed that Duck fans actually want Oregon State to succeed. Beaver fans are a bit more vitriol when talking about you guys. But to be fair to them, it's easier to blame you for the failure of the league, than see the structure was failing years ago.

Edited by GatOrlando
  • Thumbs Up 2

I only clap for the Ducks and never boo. Guess I'm not that emotional at games. I'd make a lousy coach.

• Thumbs Up 1

I usually don't boo, but sometimes there are circumstances leading up to a game that warrant a fan's boo.  Maybe it's a taunting player, a condescending opposing coach, or a team leaving a conference for more money 😁.

I would not applaud or in any way make a visiting team feel welcome in our stadium, unless they have a) no chance of winning or b) no fans that showed up.  Usually they have their own smattering of fans to cheer.

Remember, that team is running out onto the field to take something from you and your team - a victory.  I see no reason to encourage them in any way until the decision is final.

• Thumbs Up 1

I only boo the refs and the wet pups from Seattle. Both have rightly earned it.

Usually drinking my beer when the opposing team runs out because I don't want anything in my hands when that Harley sound starts blasting from the endzone.

• Thumbs Up 2

Hate booing.............well maybe  except for USuC

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I don't boo unless it is the Huskies, and I really boo them.

Husky Fans_KC_FP.jpg

I never said I was noble...

• Haha 1

Mr. FishDuck

I hadn't been thinking of this when I started the thread, but it has since occurred to me that, considering the fires in Maui, it might be nice to give a really friendly welcome to the Hawaii team when they run out onto the field.

• Applause 1

I'll be clapping for them when they come onto the field.  

• Thumbs Up 2

Very succinctly: Yes and No.  I do clap when they take the field and I never boo another 'Team'.  Operative word being 'team'.  Now, certain players ... well ... perhaps.  Depending on what that player did or didn't do.  A purposeful cheap shot or late hit?  Yeah, I have booed that in the past.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/27/2023 at 2:36 PM, Annie said:

I rarely boo, except the refs--and even Miss Manners says booing the refs is part of the game experience.

How about you, when it comes to clapping and/or booing?

Here I must respectfully disagree with you.  I do not believe it is ever proper to boo the refs (no matter how much I may want to at times).  Currently, Oregon is going thru a referee crisis in that too few younger refs are joining the ranks than those leaving.  The result is OSAA is experiencing a serious shortage and is having to actually cancel some sporting events.  Among the reasons cited by referees for leaving or not recommending it to others is fan behavior.  In fact, it is the MOST often cited reason.  

• Thumbs Up 1