Pennsylvania Duck

Canzano: Finding Logic in a 74-Point Drubbing

It should not be said that Portland State got “nothing” out of Saturday’s game against the Oregon Ducks at Autzen Stadium.

The Vikings were paid $575,000.

They got beat 81-7.

It’s like Kurt Vonnegut wrote: “In this world, you get what you pay for.” Except I’m pretty sure on Planet NCAA those poor PSU football players will have to share proceeds with the school’s other sports programs. None of those other athletes spent three-plus hours on Saturday getting turfed. Still, that’s the game.

I’m not here to criticize UO coach Dan Lanning’s team for scoring 11 touchdowns and a field goal in the season opener. The Ducks lined up and ran regular football plays. PSU couldn’t stop them.

As coach Bobby Bowden once told an angry opponent after a blowout victory at Florida State: “It's your job to keep the score down, not mine.”

When it was finally done, Oregon had 729 yards of offense and the Duck mascot — who performs push-ups after every score — had a case of compartment syndrome.

WWW.JOHNCANZANO.COM

What I made of Oregon's 81-7 victory over Portland State.

He doesn’t like it if we score 81 points, but if we scored 41 points, then he would be writing about how Oregon is not as good as we hoped, how we really miss Dillingham, how we need a head coach, who is not so defensive, minded, etc. etc.

Right?

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 7

Mr. FishDuck

On 9/3/2023 at 1:00 PM, Charles Fischer said:

He doesn’t like it if we score 81 points, but if we scored 41 points, then he would be writing about how Oregon is not as good as we hoped, how we really miss Dillingham, how we need a head coach, who is not so defensive, minded, etc. etc.

Right?

Yep... not much more to add.

More balanced than the piece Goe wrote yesterday....

Coaches job is to get his players in position to get better. Dan did that. When he subbed in 2nd and 3rd, he didn't change the game plan or play book. Exactly as he should have.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 9/3/2023 at 4:05 PM, HDuck said:

More balanced than the piece Goe wrote yesterday....

Is this the article you're referring to? Sounds like he want Ducks to fail in B1G...

Ken Goe: Oregon Ducks put up big numbers against Portland State. Big challenges await in the Big Ten

WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

It will be interesting to see how exciting the move to the Big Ten looks several years from now.

I know it'll sound odd but watching that game live, it didn't seem to me like Oregon was trying to run up the score (with the single exception of letting Nix start the 2nd Half to get another TD under his belt - for his numbers for the Heisman run, presumably).  And if I remember correctly, I believe 25 Frosh played in that game with the 2's & 3's playing the bulk of the 2nd Half.  It's just a case of PSU being unable to stop anything the ducks did whether passing or running the ball.

A team can't just start taking the knee in the middle of the 3rd Qtr.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 9/3/2023 at 1:19 PM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

Ken Goe: Oregon Ducks put up big numbers against Portland State. Big challenges await in the Big Ten

"The Ducks played an outsized role in blowing up the Pac-12 Conference a month ago by fleeing for the Big Ten. The abrupt move, jointly made by Oregon and Washington, was a grab for more prestige and television money at the expense of a century of tradition and West Coast collegiality."

Sounds like another lamenting loser blaming Oregon for the Beavers demise.  Nothing about Oregon State management over the years, nothing about how their lack of brand and following is THEIR fault?

"If you don't sit at the table....then you will be on the menu."

giphy.gif

• Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

Right?

I think it could be something completely different.  I don't think he cares that we scored 81 points. 

He believes if he writes something glowing about the classy way we did it, how there was no drop-off when the 2's or 3's were playing, almost no penalties, no unsportsmanlike or taunting actions by the Ducks, just regular Duck football that PSU couldn't deal with. 

If he wrote that he'd feel like he's labeling himself or others MIGHT label him a Duck fan, or worse, a dreaded Duck HOMER!!

He, can't go for that, can't go for that...no can do!  (Apologies to Hall & Oates.)

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 9/3/2023 at 2:15 PM, Charles Fischer said:

The Ducks played an outsized role in blowing up the Pac-12 Conference

Best check your math, we played a 1/110th role . . . 99 by Scott, 1 by Kliavkoff and one of 10 schools leaving.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/3/2023 at 4:19 PM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

Is this the article you're referring to? Sounds like he want Ducks to fail in B1G...

Hmm 🤨.  Let's exchange the writer's last name to Ken Eeyore in honor of this hit piece of negativity towards Oregon.  We all know this name belongs to the famed character in the Winnie-the-Pooh books.  This character is a pessimistic, gloomy, depressed, anhedonic, old grey stuffed donkey.

Since he wrote this unbalanced, biased piece, I can at least give my biased opinion.

th?id=OIP.fTteGF4RDOlTA97wivNNMwAAAA%26p

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Again... I watched an Oregon team in the second half that was trying to run out the clock but the talent differential was such that even doing that resulted in massive explosion plays. 

Oregon was definitely going into the bench. Something like 23 freshman played yesterday! 

This wasn't a team piling in the points because they wanted to (after the first 50 anyways) but because they simply couldn't be stopped. 

• Like 2

As coach Bobby Bowden once told an angry opponent after a blowout victory at Florida State: “It's your job to keep the score down, not mine.”

This. At least Canzano to his credit mentioned the above in his article.

Not to say that we shouldn't practice good sportsmanship, but as other posters were saying, the bench was practically emptied in the latter stages of the game but PSU still couldn't stop them. And less points were actually scored by the Ducks in the 2nd half.

What's next? Getting random fans in the stands to suit up and play in an effort to not score? Don't get me wrong, I was actually feeling bad for the PSU football players and coaching staff as the game wore on. But at the same time you cannot dampen the enthusiasm of the Duck 3rd stringer who actually got out on the field and wanted to make a big play.

Also read the article by Goe. I don't know if he was at any of the Duck games against B1G opponents, but the Ducks are capable of holding their own against them. Even during the lean times way back, when the Ducks demolished Iowa 44-6, beat a decent Illinois team at the time and rocked Michigan 39-7 in THEIR house. Not to mention some of the Rose Bowl victories and other regular season victories against B1G teams.

Edited by OceaniaDuck

On 9/3/2023 at 1:19 PM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

Sounds like he want Ducks to fail in B1G

Wow—that article by Goe is awful! I can’t think of a way it could have been more negative.

What a strange POV. It was almost like there was so much positive on the field that Goe had to “balance” out the article with a bunch of off-field two-bit punditry. 

Here’s my philosophy: When I pull my starters, I consider it a 0-0 game. This means my back-ups are going to try and score every time they get the ball.

Edited by DrJacksPlaidPants
  • Thumbs Up 1

Right?

He is insufferable.

If you really like negativity read Ken Goe's column.  

• Thumbs Up 2

On 9/3/2023 at 5:47 PM, Augduck said:

He is insufferable.

On 9/3/2023 at 4:19 PM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

It will be interesting to see how exciting the move to the Big Ten looks several years from now.

Right. Nebraska at Minnesota was a display of 2 teams without an offense between them. Illinois was fortunate to beat Toledo on a walk-off FG. Purdue lost at home to Fresno State.

Rutgers vs. Northwestern had more stray dogs in attendance than fans and was BORING. 

Ohio State struggled on O at Indiana. #25 Iowa won 24-14 but was pressed by Utah State.

Do any of these so-called experts pay attention to what is happening on the field? Last season, the Pac-12 finished with 5 teams ranked by the playoff committee. The B1G finished with 3 ranked. LSU put up 60+ points in its bowl beat down of B1G W champ Purdue. 

Yes, Oregon is 1-9 vs. Ohio State but so are most of the teams in the B1G. Ohio State just defeated Indiana for the 28th game in a row. 

Oregon is joining the B1G and not the SEC.

• Great post! 2
  • Applause 2

Just this side of putting in the cheerleaders, what is this guy expecting?

• Haha 1
  • Applause 1

On 9/3/2023 at 6:38 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Right. Nebraska at Minnesota was a display of 2 teams without an offense between them. Illinois was fortunate to beat Toledo on a walk-off FG. Purdue lost at home to Fresno State.

Rutgers vs. Northwestern had more stray dogs in attendance than fans and was BORING. 

Ohio State struggled on O at Indiana. #25 Iowa won 24-14 but was pressed by Utah State.

Do any of these so-called experts pay attention to what is happening on the field? Last season, the Pac-12 finished with 5 teams ranked by the playoff committee. The B1G finished with 3 ranked. LSU put up 60+ points in its bowl beat down of B1G W champ Purdue. 

Yes, Oregon is 1-9 vs. Ohio State but so are most of the teams in the B1G. Ohio State just defeated Indiana for the 28th game in a row. 

Oregon is joining the B1G and not the SEC.

Holy Crap...what a great post. 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

My observation from a lot of years of following college football is that a team can score up to about 70 points against a weak sister opponent.  Anything more than that and the public and media will howl in protest.  It’s an optics thing, I suppose.  

On 9/3/2023 at 10:37 PM, TexasDuck said:

My observation from a lot of years of following college football is that a team can score up to about 70 points against a weak sister opponent.  Anything more than that and the public and media will howl in protest.  It’s an optics thing, I suppose.  

Bobby Bowden - It's not my job to stop Florida State from scoring. Deion fell not too far from the tree. 

• Haha 1

I see a lot of logic in playing your 2nd and 3rd string quarterbacks for nearly a quarter each under real game conditions. Those players need as many quality reps as they can get, and they won't get them just by handing off the ball for predictable garbage time up the middle runs.

There is also an irony in accusing Oregon of intentionally running up the score against Portland State. I remember, in the 1980s, when NFL bound Neil Lomax played for Portland State.  His coach would leave him in for the entire game, leading to multiple games where PSU scored over 90 points, and one or two games where they scored over 100. Maybe Karma doesn't have a time limit.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Ken Goe has being a long suffering Duck hater for decades.  His narrative has always been about doom-casting on the Ducks rather than cogent sports analysis and insight.

I take great pleasure in knowing that the Duck's increasing success over the years coincided with his career at that fish wrap, forcing him to have to watch our games and occasionally write a 1000 words that barely hide his seething Duck enmity. 

Ken "No" Goe is the proverbial.....

4418c4.jpg.3ba4c7ccdeb9f94c7f16aefa6b088c88.jpg 

• Haha 2
  • Applause 1

Reading Goe should be a Ducks No Goe!

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Another fine writer for the Goryonian

• Thumbs Up 1

What is amazing is that we had a real idiot, a bonehead of a writer at FishDuck who actually interviewed Ken Goe in the past!

FISHDUCK.COM

Charles Fischer of FishDuck.com interviews Ken Goe of OregonLive to discuss what happened to Oregon Track and Field this past year and what the future holds.

• Haha 2

Mr. FishDuck

On 9/4/2023 at 4:05 PM, Charles Fischer said:

What is amazing is that we had a real idiot, a bonehead of a writer at FishDuck actually interview Ken Goe in the past!

FISHDUCK.COM

Charles Fischer of FishDuck.com interviews Ken Goe of OregonLive to discuss what happened to Oregon Track and Field this past year and what the future holds.

That article is a stellar example of high quality sports journalism.  Goe should've studied your form and process for his own self improvement as a journalist!

In reading that piece, I wonder if Phil's "broken relationships" created during the Hayward renovation with the families Jaqua, Hatfield and Bowerman were ever as bad as Goe suggests and where those relationships are now.....

This piece reads like it's right out of The National Enquirer gossip column. 

Speculative and not investigative journalism.