kirklandduck

Ducks Losing Out on Brandon Baker

On 9/13/2023 at 4:00 PM, kirklandduck said:

Like the article says, if we can't get him on campus (for an NIL pitch he can't refuse, like we did for Conerly) at the last minute, there is no way he picks us.

Competition for the very best has been stiff this year and we're striking out. I'm hoping for a little luck after the season and for the class of 2025.

Ducks are going hard at Ayden Breland. AB also is a 5* Mater Dei kid. There is also a 5* WR out of Texas that is warm on Oregon. Forgot his name.  

On 9/13/2023 at 4:45 PM, Log Haulin said:

Ducks are going hard at Ayden Breland. AB also is a 5* Mater Dei kid. There is also a 5* WR out of Texas that is warm on Oregon. Forgot his name.  

And the Florida kid with three first names, Eddy Pierre-Louis.

Edited by jrw

On 9/13/2023 at 4:00 PM, kirklandduck said:

Maybe he was influenced by the big Texas win over Alabama?  And maybe he'll reconsider once again after Oregon's big win over Colorado on the 23rd.  I wouldn't give up hope just yet but Oregon has a lot of top-notch recruits considering O.  Can't get the all.

My information is old and this update is discouraging. I had been confident that Baker was coming to Eugene.

Other recruiting tidbits. Breland is scheduled to be in Athens for the Georgia game. If he doesn't show, that will be great news for y'all I think.

Somebody  mentioned Seaton out of Florida, Don't know his status but that would be a great pickup.

I am a bit tired of NIL coming up as an answer. Conerly is not even in Oregon's top 6 for NIL. Mr Irving has only gotten stronger due to on field performance. Same can really be said about Bo. Ajani Cornelius has a higher NIL rating according to On3, which tracks this stuff hardcore.

Soooooo maybe player actually feel they can be better prepared for the NFL at Oregon and win games while in college.

Bad enough others think that's the only way we recruit. Hurts when it's one of our own.

On 9/14/2023 at 8:13 AM, Fitnessczar said:

I am a bit tired of NIL coming up as an answer.

Dittos.  If NIL is what it takes to land a particular player that player had better be a real gem because the player sounds like a mercenary-for-hire instead of a player like a Tez Johnson or Justin Herbert who just want to be a Duck.  There's a reason why the occasional walk-on becomes an Oregon 'great' and it's not because of his perceived talent by scouts.  A lot of it is heart and his desire to perform for his team. 

It's another reason why I hate all the NIL stuff - inevitable as it may be.  Walk-ons forever.

• Thumbs Up 2

I think we would all feel differently if we were in the position of a five star. So few are 5-Star, and while so highly coveted, and there is no guarantee of their future. They could bust long before the NFL, or get injured. If you were offered enormous money…wouldn’t that give you pause as well? 

I wish this were not the case, but frankly, I do not blame them or their families. You have to take some guaranteed money when you’re that young, and in such a precarious position with their life ahead of them.

• Thumbs Up 7

Mr. FishDuck

Don't know where Baker end up. Maybe he's a Duck and maybe not. To me it doesn't really matter.

At this point, I don't see much difference between football NIL chasers and basketball's five star one and dones. In both cases I would much prefer solid three and four stars that are just ballers over big ego attention seekers. I'll support any team win or lose if they give everything they've got. If the UO is just a stop on their way to bling city, what's the point? If they don't care, why should I?

On 9/14/2023 at 8:13 AM, Fitnessczar said:

I am a bit tired of NIL coming up as an answer. Conerly is not even in Oregon's top 6 for NIL. Mr Irving has only gotten stronger due to on field performance. Same can really be said about Bo. Ajani Cornelius has a higher NIL rating according to On3, which tracks this stuff hardcore.

Soooooo maybe player actually feel they can be better prepared for the NFL at Oregon and win games while in college.

Bad enough others think that's the only way we recruit. Hurts when it's one of our own.

Was Conerly not an SC lean when he came on an unannounced, short weekend visit the week before he committed? He'd already had his Oregon official and other visits before this. There were no practices to watch, no facility tours and photo shoots needed. He came and talked to the coaches and...NIL?

These type of visits didn't used to happen in college recruiting did they?

I'm speculating sure, but it would be foolish not to.

Edited by Solar

On 9/14/2023 at 9:32 AM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

Don't know where Baker end up. Maybe he's a Duck and maybe not. To me it doesn't really matter.

At this point, I don't see much difference between football NIL chasers and basketball's five star one and dones. In both cases I would much prefer solid three and four stars that are just ballers over big ego attention seekers. I'll support any team win or lose if they give everything they've got. If the UO is just a stop on their way to bling city, what's the point? If they don't care, why should I?

So if I understand you correctly, those who include consideration of being paid alongside all the other considerations of being recruited are big ego attention seekers that don't care about trying hard or winning?

I disagree.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 9/14/2023 at 9:28 AM, Charles Fischer said:

I think we would all feel differently if we were in the position of a five star. So few are 5-Star, and while so highly coveted, and there is no guarantee of their future. They could bust long before the NFL, or get injured. If you were offered enormous money…wouldn’t that give you pause as well? 

I wish this were not the case, but frankly, I do not blame them or their families. You have to take some guaranteed money when you’re that young, and in such a precarious position with their life ahead of them.

THIS. Any investor or business person with financial responsibilities would be obligated to do the same as proper risk management.

• Like 1

Win some, lose some. With A’lique Terry, I think we’ll do fine over the long haul.

• Thumbs Up 2

If Deons son continues to shine throughout the year, I think he will turn pro next year as he cannot pass on the money that would be available to him. When you consider injuries and other potentials I don't blame youngsters for taking the money if offered.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm not paying the NIL payments and I don't really who cares who does. I just want the Ducks to get the best recruits and win National Championships every single year. If you say that you can win National Championships every single year without getting 5-star players on a regular basis I wouldn't believe you.

I have higher expectations than most, but ever since the Joey Harrington years I do believe the Ducks should strive to win the National Championship each year. Without big linemen (read: 5-stars) or innovative offenses like we saw with Chip Kelly, it's kind of hard to do.

If we can pay players NIL money, and we can pay coaches whatever we want, then we should pay more than anyone else.

Edited by 2002duck

It's no biggie to me.  Win some / Lose some.  It's obvious DL and team can evaluate talent with or without the Stars.  Let those other schools overreach for kids with money bags in their eyes.

I want players that will fall in love with Oregon.

NIL will take a year or two to shake out.  Just keep winning.

• Thumbs Up 1

The truth is these are just rumors. No named sources, or anything from Baker himself. If we miss out on him it will simply come down to relationships, and that's ok.

That's what Dan Lanning has been preaching since day 1. Adrien Klemm brought a lot of clout with him on the recruiting trail, and although I am a firm believer in A'lique Terry and everything he brings to the table, It may take him a while to really establish himself as an O-line guru.

Until then we may miss out on some big targets in the near future, but I'm willing to bet that changes sooner rather than later.

Edited by Gizmoduck
  • Thumbs Up 2

Interestingly enough, I'm super high on our O'line. And yet, there is only 1-5*. Thats a position that is critical and yet, give these kids 1-2 years to fill out into a MAN and they are solid material. Getting the QB to play at his potential needs a solid O'line. I believe we have that. I would love Baker, and I truly hope he comes.

But, if I had to choose one or the other? We NEED D'line disruptors!!! 

Our offense hasn't really been an issue for 15 years. Its our defense that has been more of the weakness. Think about TT offense. Not polished, but pretty good. So, heavy lean on D'line recruits like Lanning has been doing so far. 

On 9/14/2023 at 10:25 AM, Duckhart said:

he cannot pass on the money that would be available to him.

I think has family has the generational wealth that money is not the absolute goal for this kid.

I think being a STUD athlete is.

Also, if anyone can, they should try and listen to his interviews.  We may have a budding Walton on our hands in regard to incoherence.