Mic

Bryce Boettcher - Another Eugene Product & Surprise

KPNW radio is running an interview with the University's Baseball coach Mark Wasikowski and during the session they talked briefly about Bryce and how he came to play for Coach Lanning.  

Some interesting facts: South Eugene HS, 3-yr grad at UO, (!) plays center field for the Ducks and now middle linebacker for the Ducks too.  We've all seen the impact he's had on the field already.  Fumble recovery, drilling tackle of the Rainbow Warrior's punt returner and solid in the middle as LB'er.

Don't we just love these local 'kids' (young men) who grow up here in Eugene and essentially 'walk-on'?   GO DUCKS

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Salute 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

He's one of the most impressive freshmen this year and looks like he belongs. He consistently around the ball and seems to be in the right position most the time! 

He's also got some intangibles that remind me of Dye.  Looks like he could be that leader we've been lacking at LB that gets everyone fired up. His future is bright on both the gridiron and the diamond.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Troy Dye was a game changer, we can only hope this kid is that good.

BB is a tackling machine. He has some of the best techniques we have seen in a long time. His fundamentals are solid and it's to the ground.

He is the third leading tackler on the team with 13 and 5 solo. Add in a sack, forced fumble and a recovery. 

This Duck D has been impressive in how they uped the tackling. It will be intersting to see how BB does v. better talent in the future. He had 3 tackles and a sack for -8 v. Tech. Would like to see more but the sack makes up for it.

Hopefully Oregons tackling woes from last year have been fixed. To the ground gentlemen. 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 9/19/2023 at 8:13 AM, Dave23 said:

He's one of the most impressive freshmen this year and looks like he belongs. 

He is a Junior this year. Played special teams for us last year. Love to see his impact and intensity out there. Looks like a true old school player. 

On 9/19/2023 at 8:17 AM, QuackyQuack said:

He is a Junior this year. Played special teams for us last year. Love to see his impact and intensity out there. Looks like a true old school player. 

Yep, he's already working on his Masters.  But he should have 4 years of eligibility as a footballer - if he doesn't get picked up in the draft first

• Thumbs Up 1

Boettcher has been a pleasant surprise this year. He reminds me of Kiko Alonso - he always seems to be in right position and brings the hurt. Love to see him get more playing time. 

• Thumbs Up 2

And you can tell how he relishes the combat....the hitting.

The portal recruiting of defensive backs allowed two safeties in Boettcher and Jamal Hill to move to MONEY linebacker and these moves have been a spectacular success already.  Hill forced a fumble versus Texas Tech, and has been in on many QB hurries, while Boettcher has a sack, some TFLs and great pursuit?

I did NOT see these moves coming by Lanning and Lupoi, and they should be commended for the moves.

Oregon Ducks' defense struggled in 2022. Offseason overhaul improved depth,  talent; will results follow? - oregonlive.com

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

He’s so fun to watch! That energy comes straight through the screen, and I need more of it! 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 9/19/2023 at 12:48 PM, Charles Fischer said:

And you can tell how he relishes the combat....the hitting.

The portal recruiting of defensive backs allowed two safeties in Boettcher and Jamal Hill to move to MONEY linebacker and these moves have been a spectacular success already.  Hill forced a fumble versus Texas Tech, and has been in on many QB hurries, while Boettcher has a sack, some TFLs and great pursuit?

I did NOT see these moves coming by Lanning and Lupoi, and they should be commended for the moves.

Oregon Ducks' defense struggled in 2022. Offseason overhaul improved depth,  talent; will results follow? - oregonlive.com

Hill is definitely better at LB, where limited space compensates for his lack of speed.

I still think he gets caught in the toaster, but he is around the ball more consistently.  

I would prefer he were limited to the Ted zone, where I think he would impose some serious damage ( I think he uses boundaries very well when he can). 

BB is a natural.  He anticipates well, closes well in pursuit, and is a very good tackler.  

I'm hoping the defense grows every week.

• Applause 1

I remember the first few games for Joe Walker, Troy Dye, and Kiko Alonso, and BB’s debut at LB is very similar.

They are all ballhawks w a ton of energy and technique.

Add on the story of the hometown center-field walk-on, and you have a Hollywood picture.

• Thumbs Up 1

He’s a great story and all, but if DL and his staff could sign a couple of LB’s like Roquan Smith and Nakobe Dean that would be pretty nice.

• Let’s hope! 1

And naturally, he's a fellow Axeman. 

• Go Ducks! 1

The soul of a team is made up of walk-ons, and overachievers. BB is the soul of the defense!

• Like 2

I like the Joe Walker comparison for Bryce....both in terms of style of play and being a surprise star to us fans.  

Kiko was a high profile recruit...Joe was a JUCO transfer.  Bryce is a walk-on.

All three are instinctual ballers who deliver a payload upon impact.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 9/20/2023 at 8:49 AM, idontrollonshobbas said:

Kiko was a high profile recruit...Joe was a JUCO transfer.  Bryce is a walk-on.

Bryce underscores the importance of offering opportunities for motivated and talented athletes to 'walk-on' and try out for the team rather than limiting tryouts to recruiter-sponsored athletes and agents recommendations.  

Now, in the case of Bryce, his baseball coach recommended him to Dan Lanning and out of respect for Mike, Dan let Bryce tryout.  It took less than one full workout for Dan to see his potential (from what Coach Wasakowski reported in the interview).  But it wasn't a recruiter or a professional talent scout or agent.  It was a colleague of Dan's who saw his potential and was willing to "share" him with the football program.  

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

Joe Walker is the best comparison. Troy was/is more athletically gifted and quicker and Kiko was a bit bigger and packed a serious punch, but could be a tad undisciplined. Walker was a blue collar guy, very smart and played the middle well. Good enough to get an extended cup of coffee in the NFL. 

I love Boettcher's ability to diagnose an offensive set then take the right angles to be in a play and bring the wood. The eye disciple it takes to hit a 90mph heater with a little shimmy translates to the gridiron. It helps with focus and with completing the follow through on a tackle. Even when Jacobs returns, I expect to see BB play a fair amount.

Heckuva find for DL's defense and a great local kid Sheldon/Ducks story.

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Local kid  South Eugene Axemen

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/20/2023 at 10:25 AM, Red Eddy Green said:

Yep, according to Mike Wasakowski he graduated from South Eugene, finished his Bachelors degree in 3 years and is now working on his Masters.  Smart and physically gifted, the best kind of athlete.

Not Mike....

GODUCKS.COM

During his six-year tenure as a head coach, Mark Wasikowski has proven he can turn a program around in

• Thanks 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 9/20/2023 at 10:25 AM, Red Eddy Green said:

Of course 😉 

MARK Wasikowski, not Mike.  Charles caught me on that one.  On the radio is sounded like Mike and I should have checked the Baseball roster on GoDucks.  I think I might have spelled it both ways in different posts.

Oops, South not Sheldon. Too many Herberts in the mix, I got confused.