Desert Duck

Zero Respect for Oregon

"College Football Week 5 Highlights: Top Plays, Games, Takeaways"

Absolutely less than zero respect or props provided to Oregon in this ESPN piece.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/page/gamedayfinal093023/college-football-week-5-highlights-top-plays-games-takeaways-2023

Fortunately, in 13 days, Oregon has the perfect opportunity to change this.

Edited by Desert Duck
  • Go Ducks! 2
  • Applause 1

Oregon is nowhere to be seen on espn ncaaf home page, I just looked. Wierd, they are the #8 team in the country. Probably the most balanced team and the starting Heisman contending QB had over 300 yrds, 3 td and no TO's.

Is it about respect or something else? Has there ever been a time that the #8 team, after a huge blowout win, is left out of the conversation? Ever?

Dan's pregame speech was not well recieved with many. Some nasty things were said about Oregons coach.

I don't know what it means, if anything. Recent history makes you wonder though. 

But just win, let them ignore Oregon. Conference alignment shows the power of espn to dictate terms of how college football will operate and be narrated.

Hmm... very strange if you ask me.

• Thumbs Up 1

Disrespect is the fuel of champions.

• Thumbs Up 2

Oregon has also been one of the most talked about teams on sports media in the past. In the process of getting to the CFP, Oregon doesn’t need media accolades, it needs to take care of business each week. 

My feeling is that the media has a wait and see attitude to see if the PAC 12 teams beat up on each other. Because of the talented teams it will be very hard to go unscathed.

The irony is that one of the most talented conferences this year (PAC 12) may have nobody invited to the CFP. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I basically said that Oregon wasn't going to get any press coverage for the next two weeks (this week and next week) in my last article.

FISHDUCK.COM

Last spring Josh Pate at Late Kick Live did a segment about how the Oregon fanbase was feeling. He basically said that the Ducks...

We were on the Pac-12 network which seems to have less viewership now than every before with the conference's imminent demise and we played Stanford... a team that no one cares about. Oregon is flying under the radar and best to embrace it at this point. In some ways it puts less of a target on our backs and may inflate those Huskies heads enough that they make a few mistakes.

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 4
  • Like 2

Exactly, David Marsh, spot-on observation. (No surprise.)

You play on Larry's Lost Network and you get lost from a national perspective. Fortunately, come 2024, Oregon will be covered by B1G Boy BTN. THIS is why Puddles had to find a way out of here. 

At UW #7, Wazzu #13, at Utah #18, [Cal,] USC #9 (come on Troy + win in South Bend,) + #15 Oregon State will have the Ducks front and center playing in the back end of a brutal schedule. Exactly what you want for national recognition and more importantly, for Playoff Committee recognition.

SOS help is on the way. We've already seen SC at CU giving up 41 points and Oregon giving up 6 to the Prime Times, making a ranking difference with Oregon jumping SC in this week's AP Poll. 

Meanwhile, UGA does have a game vs. ranked Kentucky at home this Saturday but other than that UGA's next ranked opponent comes 11/4 vs. a currently ranked Mizzou team that may not be ranked when it trips to Athens. 

Ohio State may have a test against Maryland this weekend but the B1G is a 3-some of the Buckeyes, Wolverines, and the Nittany Lions. These 3 could easily end up 11-1 at the end of the regular season.

I LOVE the way the schedule is set up and I also love Texas Tech, without Tyler Shough (sigh) defeating Houston, helping the Ducks SOS, and with a real chance to disrupt things in a B12 that has only 2 teams that are both leaving in 2024, ranked. 

Yes, the Pac-12 will possibly go cannibal on one another but this is more likely to happen this season in the ACC.

IMO, as of now, Oregon has the best-balanced team in a deep Pac-12. Just win Puddles (easy to say) and the Ducks will be front and center on the nation's CFB radar.

BTW, Oregon at UW will be the first game ever with both ranked in the top 10.

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Cool 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 5
  • Like 1

Radio Silence is actually a good thing.  

Egos emerge when ignored-especially when one is actually excellent.

I hope the hype is directed away from OBD all damn year.  Nothing would be better than to be discounted.  If I could shadow ban all things Oregon Football this year everywhere, I would.  Those players would play so angry they'd hurt people.  I want that anger.  I want that fire.   

I mentioned how intense Lanning looked the week of the Colorado game.  He didn't say anything, but he looked steamed.  Not even angry.  Just pure fire in his eyes.  Media silence and Colorado trolling resulted in the only time I've seen a Lanning Team dismantle a team they way they should have.  

I hope the Media keeps paying attention to Caleb Williams and Michael Penix all year (great motivation for Nix).  I hope Alabama's defense gets so much credit, OBD start shooting for shut outs every week.  I hope Ohio State and Michigan drown out everybody else. 

Nothing was more satisfying to me than hearing Brandon Dorlus talk about being overshadowed.  I have never seen OBD as motivated since then.  

• Applause 4
  • Thumbs Up 4
  • Like 1

Well, first thing this morning on the radio  I did hear the Oregon-Stanford score, so at least there was that.

• Haha 2

Guys, it's been this way for a long time - as long as I can remember.  Even when they did get mention, it was always with a tinge of condescension or reluctance or some nonsensical excuse about why the opponent was beaten or upset.  My friends and I have pondered over this for 30 years.  There's an undeniable media bias against the University of Oregon and I cannot for my life understand why.

On 10/1/2023 at 6:33 PM, Mic said:

Guys, it's been this way for a long time - as long as I can remember.  Even when they did get mention, it was always with a tinge of condescension or reluctance or some nonsensical excuse about why the opponent was beaten or upset.  My friends and I have pondered over this for 30 years.  There's an undeniable media bias against the University of Oregon and I cannot for my life understand why.

Just Do It! The world does not like NIKE 'upstarts.' (Except for Michael Jordan - See 'Air.') Even though they have been upstarting since BCS days.

Flash and Dash need the ultimate Natty splash. As Charles pointed out in preseason, this could be the team to Just Do It!

• Haha 1
  • Like 1

On 10/1/2023 at 3:33 PM, Mic said:

There's an undeniable media bias against the University of Oregon and I cannot for my life understand why.

Because historically the state and most of the region have had as many eyeballs, media organizations, sports teams, and influence as your average zip code in many parts of the country. 

Not saying it’s right to ignore one of two teams ranked in the top 10 for both offense and defense, but even if we all screamed in unison, we wouldn’t be heard in the ESPN offices. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 10/1/2023 at 1:08 PM, Log Haulin said:

Oregon is nowhere to be seen on espn ncaaf home page, I just looked. Wierd, they are the #8 team in the country. Probably the most balanced team and the starting Heisman contending QB had over 300 yrds, 3 td and no TO's.

Is it about respect or something else? Has there ever been a time that the #8 team, after a huge blowout win, is left out of the conversation? Ever?

Dan's pregame speech was not well recieved with many. Some nasty things were said about Oregons coach.

I don't know what it means, if anything. Recent history makes you wonder though. 

But just win, let them ignore Oregon. Conference alignment shows the power of espn to dictate terms of how college football will operate and be narrated.

Hmm... very strange if you ask me.

Well, at least their FPI rankings have Oregon as one of the 4 playoff teams.  

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/1/2023 at 4:52 PM, jrw said:

we wouldn’t be heard in the ESPN offices. 

Oregon is even spending good money at ESPN with the Bodacious adds, come on show us the Love.

ESPN just really hates Oregon, more than most channels, likely because we're one of their biggest viewership losses next year. Why promote a team that you aren't make money off. They halve to promote USC with the potential two-time Heisman winner.

On 10/1/2023 at 2:25 PM, Desert Duck said:

Absolutely less than zero respect or props provided to Oregon in this ESPN piece

No big deal.  I don't want this team to have people praising them.  I want the us against the world Ducks.  Time to Ruin some people's season in the next 90 days!

• Applause 1

On 10/1/2023 at 5:47 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Flash and Dash need the ultimate Natty splash.

It's all fun and games until the Flashy dude punches you in the mouth!

• Thumbs Up 1

Not so fast . . . these guys seem to think Ducks undervalued.

WWW.SPORTSGRID.COM

Dominating Stanford, Oregon's top-tier offense and mighty defense foresee a possible rise as the nation's top team, looking like the most complete team.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Cool 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I think Dan will employ the same strategy next week as he always does.  All nice/nice in the press.  Work in silence, nothing said that will become  bulletin board clippings.  Everything will be very vanilla.  

Did you notice after Stanford, he said this week is a 'work week' ?

I expect a lot of the following from Dan and the players:

"UW is a great team".

"This will be a huge challenge for us".

"We must prepare for everything".

"Nothing in the past matters, it's about the here and now"

"Play the game, not the occasion"

"We have to play to our standard"

"Pennix is one of the top QBs in the country"

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

The schedule is back-loaded. Win and the accolades will come. Playing Stanford on the Pac-12 network is not going to receive a lot of national attention.

Winning at UW on ABC at 3:30 Eastern will get a whole lot of attention. The only way the Stanford game would have drawn attention is if Stanford played 4 Qs as it did in the 1st Q.

UW is getting the long ball love. Oregon has improved significantly in both ESPN's FPI and SP+ rankings. Oregon is now FPI favored to win the Pac-12 conference and with #4 best odds of making the final Final 4. 

And Vegas with Oregon at -12.5 for the UW is buying in. The oddsmakers pay attention. And Vegas is not ignoring the significant improvement on D. 

What counts is, kind of, the interim PO Committee rankings (1st 1 revealed on Halloween) and of course, the ultimate Committee ranking.

And never forget that far more B1G and SEC fans are tuning into ESPN than are Pac-12 fans. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 10/1/2023 at 8:37 PM, Dave23 said:

Oregon is even spending good money at ESPN with the Bodacious adds, come on show us the Love.

ESPN just really hates Oregon, more than most channels, likely because we're one of their biggest viewership losses next year. Why promote a team that you aren't make money off. They halve to promote USC with the potential two-time Heisman winner.

"They're all about clicks.  And we're about wins!"

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

I don't really think we don't get any love, I mean I think it's just a week where our game was pretty ho hum, we got a good amount of positive pub last week, today we just had an article that talked about us having the best SP+ score in the Pac-12, if you look at our individual stats it's understandable that the focus would be on Penix, Williams, and Sanders since everything runs through them.  We'll start to get more of a focus if we beat UW up on Montlake.  

This year is a bit different than previous years, since the Pac-12 is viewed as an extremely strong conference, we'll get the credit we deserve if we churn out the results that demand it.  

• Thumbs Up 1

And so it starts from the gang up north via Twitter/X:

Oregon is lucky they dodged Arizona this year. Because Arizona is a terrible matchup for them, they would've lost last Saturday
Edited by Augduck
  • Haha 3
  • Mic drop 1

How big is the match-up with the Huskies?  The winner gets serious playoff contention attention.  The loser slides back out of the picture until and after that team wins three more games, at least, maybe 4.

Edited by Mic

On 10/2/2023 at 4:25 PM, Jon Joseph said:

The schedule is back-loaded. Win and the accolades will come. Playing Stanford on the Pac-12 network is not going to receive a lot of national attention.

Winning at UW on ABC at 3:30 Eastern will get a whole lot of attention. The only way the Stanford game would have drawn attention is if Stanford played 4 Qs as it did in the 1st Q.

UW is getting the long ball love. Oregon has improved significantly in both ESPN's FPI and SP+ rankings. Oregon is now FPI favored to win the Pac-12 conference and with #4 best odds of making the final Final 4. 

And Vegas with Oregon at -12.5 for the UW is buying in. The oddsmakers pay attention. And Vegas is not ignoring the significant improvement on D. 

What counts is, kind of, the interim PO Committee rankings (1st 1 revealed on Halloween) and of course, the ultimate Committee ranking.

And never forget that far more B1G and SEC fans are tuning into ESPN than are Pac-12 fans. 

WOW! The line that had dropped down to -11.5 Ducks is now Oregon +3.5!

That is an incredible flip. Almost like 'someone' woke up and said, 'What are we doing!'  I'm more inclined to believe that the number up on the net was simply wrong. 

UW's O has been lights out. Oregon on both sides of the ball is playing great. But neither team has played a difficult schedule which makes this a tough game to handicap.

In terms of motivation, I like the Ducks as the dog and the way to play the mangy dogs.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

ESPN+ (paywall) Bill Connolly is not disregarding or disrespecting the Ducks or the Pac-12 in his current ranking of undefeated P5 teams through Week 5. 3 Pac-12 teams are in Bill's Top 10 with 4 overall in the rankings of 17 unbeatens to date. (Note - Air Force Academy is Bill's top-ranked undefeated G5 team.)

S = SP+ Ranking. FPI = FPI ranking. SOS = Strength of Schedule to date. Each ranked team's next big test, according to Connelly, is listed below each team. 

Note, that this early in the season, SOS is all over the map. Bill is using the eye test in addition to S, FPI, and SOS.

All of the game times below are Eastern Time.

1. Michigan - S - 1 FPI - 8 SOS - 112

Week 11 at Penn State (Like most of us, Bill sees the B1G in 2023 as a 3-team conference.)

2. Ohio State - S - 2 FPI - 1 SOS - 42.

Week 8 vs. Penn State. (But do not sleep on Saturday's game vs. undefeated #17 Maryland - Noon Fox. Tua's kid brother is likely the better QB in this game.)

3. OREGON - S - 6 FPI - 6 SOS -109

Week 7 at #4 Washington - 3:30 ABC

4. Washington - S - 7 FPI - 9 SOS - 90

Week 7 vs. #3 OREGON

5. Georgia - S - 4 FPI - 7 SOS - 104

Week 6 vs. #12 Kentucky - 7 ESPN

6. Texas - S - 3 FPI - 4 SOS - 32 (With these numbers shouldn't Texas be #1?)

Week 6 #7 Oklahoma - Noon ABC

Note - In an In Your Face to B12 Commissioner Brett Yormark, SEC Commissioner Greg Sankey will be attending the Red River Shootout. Delicious.

7. Oklahoma - S - 9 FPI - 2 SOS - 96

Week 6 vs. #6 Texas

8. Penn State - S - 13 FPI - 5 SOS 79

Week 8 at Ohio State (Regarding the 2023 B1G, see above.)

9. FSU - S - 18 FPI - 10 SOS - 18 (Also seems low with these numbers. But lucky, lucky, lucky at Clemson.)

Week 7 vs. Syracuse

10. USC - S - 10 FPI - 12 SOS 124 (!)

Week 7 at Notre Dame

Note - 6 2024 B1G teams in the Top 10 - 3 coming in from the Pac-12. 3 2024 SEC teams in the Top 10 - 2 coming in from the B12.

11. Miami - S - 12 FPI - 15 SOS 67

Week 7 vs. UNC - (Miami plays Clemson, UNC, (both at home,) and FSU in 2023. FSU misses UNC and plays Miami in Tallahassee.)

12. Kentucky - S - 21 FPI - 31 SOS - 110

Week 6 at Georgia. The Dawgs could not stop the Auburn run game. On paper, Kentucky has a better run game.

13. UNC - S - 23 FPI - 21 SOS - 72

Week 6 vs. Syracuse - 3:30 ABC or ESPN

14. Washington State - S - 20 FPI - 38 SOS 40 (Based simply on SOS, WSU has the best record to date in the Pac-12.)

Week 6 at UCLA - 3 Pac-12 Network. (If a tree falls in the forest ... Cannot wait to say so long to Larry's Loser Network.))

15. Louisville - S - 29 FPI - 27 SOS 117

Week 6 vs. Notre Dame - 7:30 ABC

16. Missouri - S - 27 FPI - 35 SOS - 76

Week 6 vs. LSU - Noon ESPN (Why is 3-2 LSU ranked #23 in this week's AP Poll? Brand name and SEC.)

17. Maryland - S S - 31 FPI - 25 SOS 125

Week 6 at Ohio State. Ohio State is -18,5. I expect Maryland to cover the spread.)

While Oregon has a Work Week and UW has a bye week, at least 2 of undefeated Georgia/ Kentucky and Texas/Oklahoma will have a loss after Saturday's action. Washington State, Louisville, Missouri, and Maryland could also be going down in Week 6.

Enjoy and prepare for Hate Week. 

Puddles is not flying under the nation's and ESPN's radar. Win in Seattle and the Ducks will be front and center. Especially with games vs. currently ranked Utah, Washington State, USC, and Oregon State coming up.

GO DUCKS!

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Go Ducks! 1

Sorry, Miami plays at UNC.

Here's some love from College Football News. Oregon at UW is ranked as the #1 football game in October. Take that SEC!

https://collegefootballnews.com/news/20-biggest-october-college-football-games

• Thumbs Up 1

Bobby Carpenter, former buckeye LB, on the Pat McAfee (love him or hate him) show has us No. 5 in playoff race.  

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/4/2023 at 5:39 PM, Steven A said:

Bobby Carpenter, former buckeye LB, on the Pat McAfee (love him or hate him) show has us No. 5 in playoff race.  

Bobby drops Georgia to #4 because of their "close win on the road" at Auburn (by 7).  He has his former Ohio State team at #1 after their "close win on the road" at ND (by 3).  Makes perfectly good sense - if you're a Buckeye homie.  

• Thumbs Up 1