spartan2785

Tough Loss, But....

I feel better than I usually do after a loss, I think we confirmed we're a top-10 team, whether we're a playoff team we'll find out over rest of the year.  Proud of the way they got their nose back in front, just feels like Lanning let his boys down with his over-confidence in them, if that makes sense.  Sometimes you have to be the adult and say when to just simply take the points. 

I'm sure the players will feel like Lanning believes in them, that they had it in their hands, and then let it go.  Just sucks to lose that way.  Probably most disappointed that we seem to only be trying to kick a field goal at the end instead of being aggressive and going for the win.  I don't think you can be confident in Lewis from anything longer than 35 yards, even from there I'm expecting a coin toss.

Edited by Smith72
Capitalize title
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • Like 1

On 10/14/2023 at 5:07 PM, spartan2785 said:

I feel better than I usually do after a loss, I think we confirmed we're a top-10 team, whether we're a playoff team we'll find out over rest of the year.  Proud of the way they got their nose back in front, just feels like Lanning let his boys down with his over-confidence in them, if that makes sense.  Sometimes you have to be the adult and say when to just simply take the points. 

I'm sure the players will feel like Lanning believes in them, that they had it in their hands, and then let it go.  Just sucks to lose that way.  Probably most disappointed that we seem to only be trying to kick a field goal at the end instead of being aggressive and going for the win.  I don't think you can be confident in Lewis from anything longer than 35 yards, even from there I'm expecting a coin toss.

Great post.  Rational and reasonable.

• Thumbs Up 3

I know all of us are fans of gutsy Oregon calls to go for it on 4th Down when it works. Two missed opportunities for field goals and going for it late in the game instead of punting this time. Different decisions on any of those could have at least led to overtime. For now, I will trust the coach to learn from this going forward. IMHO, Washington's defense was either better than any of us thought, or really rose to the occasion with the help of a raucous, loud home crowd. I'll leave it largely to others who actually get paid to coach for a living to decide whether Lanning took too long to adjust to that.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 10/14/2023 at 5:22 PM, CountryProf said:

For now, I will trust the coach to learn from this going forward.

As much as I am a Dan Lanning fan....he did not learn anything from last year's fiascos with the same decisions against Washington and Oregon State.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

Mr. FishDuck

Our guys played well today. We could have won. Penix is REAL. My ONE BIG take-away from the game today is that coaching decisions cost us.  Goiing for it on 4th down this game (twice) was both akin to last year’s decisions vs WA but EVEN MORE COSTLY this year. What if we kick those short FGs? Maybe we win or force OT.  OK….worst thing ever? No. A little concerning? Yes. Dan, please reference 150 years of football. I can live with a winning season without a playoff spot, but for a “special” season, we now need to win out.

Margin just got thin. 

Edited by SeattleDuck92
  • Thumbs Up 3

I would like to see Lanning, if he can do it, amp down his in-game personality. When I see his eyes bulging, and his teeth clenched, and his jaw jutting forward, I see someone who may not be in the best frame of mind to make calculated decisions. Just my cheap psychological observation. 

• Thumbs Up 1

JRW- I will respectfully disagree.   I want passion.  I don't want Helfrich.  

• Thumbs Up 1

I didn’t mind going for the TD at the end of the first half since it was a “free possession” (playing with house money) and we were getting the ball after halftime. 

The second decision to go for it on 4th boggled my mind. We would have only been down by one possession (TD + 2 point conversion) if we kicked the field goal. It’s like Lanning was doubling down on his earlier decision that failed. 

The decision in the fourth quarter to go for it may have been the right decision but a terrible play call. I’m sure that Lanning had more faith in our offense’s ability to pick up a few yards to seal the game vs. our defense’s ability to stop Penix in clutch time. As it played out, Oregon got the ball back with enough time to tie or win (vs. allowing Washington to go 80-90 yards and take all the time off the clock).

Edited by OregonDucks

I will say this loss is easier to take than last year and previous years. Only because my daughter gives.me.something else to focus on. She is 18 months and makes life better... Even when the Ducks lose. 

PXL_20231014_181813466.MP.jpg

• Mic drop 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 4
  • Like 2

On 10/14/2023 at 5:57 PM, jrw said:

I see someone who may not be in the best frame of mind to make calculated decisions.

Wow! So we are questioning Lannings mental healt. Fully agree with third word of your last sentence. C'mon man

This loss is on Dan Cristobal. Take the points. 

• Yikes! 1
  • Wow 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Better to lose to dub now IF they win out!  I believe the players have it in them.  I believe DL is a wise, creative coach who might try to outsmart himself (see Brandon Stahley). 

I really wanted to see him run it at the goal line and and build confidence in the O line.  If he's wanting to build a team that "wins battles up front" then put them in that position and don't rollout.  Also play smash mouth to finish the game.  Yes Bucky and Jordan got stopped a couple times but not often.  I honestly thought they could get two TDS from the goal line and not had to think about FGS.

Please don't hear what I am hopefully not sounding like.  He's way smarter than me and certainly don't want to be an armchair coach.  I'm just curious what it would've looked like had play calling been a bit different.

Edited by candyduck

I just looked at the box score...we won everything but 4th down...0-3, they were 2-3.  2 field goals and we win.  This is on Lanning.  Box score suggests we won by at least 10.

• Great post! 1

All this loss does is give Fusky the drivers seat. USC is down by 18 at half. Not looking good.

Win out and Ducks get another crack at it.

Pac 12 champ goes to playoff. Ain't over yet. Oregon is still in complete control of their season.

One thing we learned, Ducks are a dam good team. This game proves nothing at this point

• Thumbs Up 2

On 10/14/2023 at 6:06 PM, Log Haulin said:

So we are questioning Lannings mental healt

Not doing any such thing. Just saying he may be a little over-amped and it could affect his decision making.

On 10/14/2023 at 6:10 PM, Whiskey Duck said:

This loss is on Dan Cristobal. Take the points. 

Disappointing to see this.  

I'm not. Bad in game decisions and having to burn time outs, this was a very Cristobalesc game. 

We had the turnover at the end of the first half, we had the lead in the fourth quarter. Both of those advantages were negated by going for a fourth down situation pursuing a winning TD vs kicking relatively make able FGs. I like aggression, but I’ve been on the planet long enough to know that at times you take what you can get and live to fight for the win later. Our coaches failed to see this longer term strategy. PS - I know hindsight is 20/20, but ever Duck fan I know was SCREAMING for the FGs.

Edited by SeattleDuck92
  • Thumbs Up 3

This was the perfect loss, if there is such a thing.

It always stings to lose to UW, but if we take a step back this isn't that bad.

I asked myself before the game what would be the best outcome in terms of having the least net negative impact to Pac12 team rankings, and what transpired was basically it. OBD covered the spread, on the road, and lost on a missed FG. If they were going to lose, that was the best way to do it in terms of perception.

They generally looked good against what seems to be a very good UW team. So much so that I would expect OBD to win if they played again on a neutral field.

Glass half full.

Next time let's not give away those 3 points to end the first half...though had OBD made it I would have been praising the call. 😀

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 10/14/2023 at 6:33 PM, bbmichaels said:

There is a big difference in losses. Some are good loses. This was one of them. Get fusky in the title game and win... this lose means nothing. Bo said as much in his post game.

• Thumbs Up 2

Disappointing outcome but still an impressive performance by the team. UO dominated so many of the major statistics, you'd think they won by double digits. In time, I think Lanning will come to learn to take the points when you can in tight games. Chip had to learn the same lesson the hard way in some of those close Stanford defeats. It's a tough loss but I also don't see them losing to another team on the schedule. This can still be a year of special things.

• Thumbs Up 4

Dawgs area good team, and better today. Going forward, not so much. 

I like the direction Lanning is taking the program. Much like the uniforms, some of us may not like them, but the student athletes do. The direction is innovative and aggressive. I like both these directions straight ahead, I say!

I will take Dan Lanning good wins, tight losses any day. The only thing I wouldn't have been satisfied with today was a big loss.

I also think there is one player we need to upgrade, and I won't even go there because I bet few agree with me.

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

That was a tough one, but clear to me that these are the two best teams in the conference.  Seems like a rematch in Vegas is highly likely and I will put my money on the Ducks on a neutral field.  

• Thumbs Up 4

Revenge in the PAC12 championship game will be sweeter now. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Tough loss. We didn't beat ourselves, but we lost.

No turn overs, no false starts or bad penalties, tons of yards and time of possession, but didn't finish drives and lost.

Obviously a lot of focus on the 4th down conversions that weren't. What about the last second time out on the final drive by DL that allowed us to convert on 3rd, when the no-play failed? Dan had his team mentality prepared and they played pretty well for 4 quarters.

You have to take the good with the bad here.

I'd like to see some different short yardage options in our scheme. We're the slant passes really never there? Drag route from play action? Didn't see many RPOs acted on.

I think the biggest frustration is losing so similarly to last year, even with a Williams brother having a really bad game and not converting on fourth downs.

I sure hope we can play UW again in Vegas, a neutral sute.

• Thumbs Up 3

It was a very exciting game, for sure. I just heard radio-talk-show-host Jody Mack say that he wished the game had gone into overtime, just because it was such an exciting game and he wanted more.

On 10/14/2023 at 6:14 PM, Log Haulin said:

All this loss does is give Fusky the drivers seat. USC is down by 18 at half. Not looking good.

Win out and Ducks get another crack at it.

Pac 12 champ goes to playoff. Ain't over yet. Oregon is still in complete control of their season.

One thing we learned, Ducks are a dam good team. This game proves nothing at this point

It would be great to see the Ducks go to the PAC 12 championship game and beat the dawgs, especially after I heard a husky fan on a call-in talk show say that WA now "owns" the Ducks.

On 10/14/2023 at 9:05 PM, David Marsh said:

I will say this loss is easier to take than last year and previous years. Only because my daughter gives.me.something else to focus on. She is 18 months and makes life better... Even when the Ducks lose. 

PXL_20231014_181813466.MP.jpg

You sir have your priorities straight!!!  Your daughter is absolutely beautiful, you are blessed!!!  Those early years are precious, all of them are in reality, but I miss those early years so much!  

On 10/14/2023 at 5:58 PM, Augduck said:

JRW- I will respectfully disagree.   I want passion.  I don't want Helfrich.  

Passion is good, as long as you can still make calculated decisions under pressure.

Let's also consider this:  They throttled down when they were up 11.  When we caught up, they dialed up like they had never slowed down.

In other words, those two FGs result in a loss if they kept the pedal to the medal.  

Lanning assessed this correctly.  We were in perfect position 100% on those outside TDs.  The first TD was a mental error, but the rest were pure skill on their part that is difficult to practice for.   We are assuming we could stop them if we had the FGs and the game was still close. 

What happened when the game was close (all game)?  They dialed up plays that are extremely difficult to defend, and they practice those like there is no tomorrow.  We don't.  Our interception was unforced.  Their TDs were forced. 

This wasn't going to be a game we pull a clutch play (obviously-we win the game with simple coverage rules-but didn't when it counted most).  

We never stopped them when they wanted to score.  That is the bottom line in all of this.  They dialed down, we exploited it.  When they dialed up, and whenever they were aggressive, they made the plays.

I challenge anyone to show me they were still aggressive with that 11 point lead, and mind you- I would have kicked both FGs and punted too.  I didn't like that last drive, but they scored so effortlessly, I doubt a punt would have made a difference.

Neutral Field and another shot at them, I'm finding ways to score 100 on them.  They are scary awesome, and damn near unstoppable.

• Thumbs Up 1

Like everyone else here, I'm disappointed as heck'll. It sucks to lose. One less goose egg on 4th down and probably Oregon wins. There were opportunities where in retrospect DL should have taken the points so at least the Ducks would have gone into OT. The criticism directed at him is legit but that's the growing pains for a talented young coach. He'll go to the 'doctor' with everyone else and figure out what needs to be fixed. 

This Oregon team is damn good. So is Washington, today one play better. They are the class of the PAC. U$C just got bumrushed by the golden domers who exposed the porous Trojenz O-line and undisciplined defense. Wazzu was humiliated at home by Arizona. Looks like the Beavs will hold serve against UCLA. As predicted by many, the PAC12 is cannibalizing it's own.

The Ducks need to win out now, pure and simple. This team can do it though it won't be easy. A rematch in Vegas with the Fuskys is in order. I firmly believe that outcome will be different. 

Go Ducks 

On 10/14/2023 at 6:33 PM, bbmichaels said:

It always stings to lose to UW, but if we take a step back this isn't that bad.

I asked myself before the game what would be the best outcome in terms of having the least net negative impact to Pac12 team rankings, and what transpired was basically it. OBD covered the spread, on the road, and lost on a missed FG. If they were going to lose, that was the best way to do it in terms of perception.

They generally looked good against what seems to be a very good UW team. So much so that I would expect OBD to win if they played again on a neutral field.

Glass half full.

Next time let's not give away those 3 points to end the first half...though had OBD made it I would have been praising the call. 😀

I see where you’re going with this, but I don’t agree. I think this is a bad loss.

It was a very winable game, and questionable coaching decisions robbed the players of a victory on the road against an arch rival, a victory that would have catapulted the Ducks right into the playoff conversation.

A huge opportunity was missed, due to little fault of the players.