DrJacksPlaidPants

USC vs. Utah

I figured most of us are tuned in, so it might be a good idea to have a thread about this game. My only comment is USC’s crowd is minuscule for a ranked team with only one loss. Oh, and it might be a shootout.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's good to scout out two opponents in advance...

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 10/21/2023 at 5:12 PM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

My only comment is USC’s crowd is minuscule for a ranked team with only one loss. 

Sooooooooo a normal USC crowd then I guess.

• Haha 2

Whittinghams team gets stuffed on 4th and short. Its becoming a trend. Defenses are forced to defend it much more the past couple years. They seem to be getting stops more and more.

It’s tough to gauge Utah’s run defense since USC’s RB’s is nothing more than a figurehead. 

On 10/21/2023 at 8:36 PM, Charles Fischer said:

It's good to scout out two opponents in advance...

Ask Michigan?

• Haha 1

Hats off to the Ducks for not letting the last game get you down and not looking ahead to SLC.

That's good play and good coaching.

• Thumbs Up 2

I live in LA, and I am seriously considering getting ‘24 season tickets at U$C in the visitors’ section. 🤣

Soooooooooo worth it to get to cheer against them vs all those B1G teams.

• Haha 6

I know Utah will be tough,  but USuC is getting exposed the last few weeks, they are still over rated

• Applause 1

Utah is showing some offense... granted, it's against the JV defense of USC, so who knows if Utah actually has an offense now?

I just stopped by to say that USC losing would make my evening. 

• Like 1

Wow some really bad decisions by special teams and the Utah defense the last couple plays just let USC back in the game.  They had it in the bag 🤦‍♂️

Offense needs to come through with a field goal with just over a minute to go.

Wow USC dline guy booted for targeting, really bad time to do that!

What a game!  USC loses...my night is complete!

• Applause 3

That Barnes kid on Utah is a gritty, scrappy QB.  Wittingham may have found his next Cam Rising.

• Haha 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I almost feel bad for Williams that he has to carry his team and they still lose, but then I remember he chose to follow Riley..He won a Heisman already though.

I do wonder if the team is starting to lose it a little with the Riley to the NFL rumours. It certainly did a number on us when Cristobal rumoured to Miami.

• Thumbs Up 1

Caleb Williams and USC have a Utah and Tulane problem....and a defense problem.

• Haha 1
  • Like 1

Going to be a good game next weekend. Utah looks very Utah, and Barnes played really tough football, tonight. Oh, and Vaki is ridiculous. We can’t afford to be asleep at the wheel to start off against the Utes, or they’ll make us pay.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Tonight I rooted my you know what off for Utah - Next week they are the enemy, still what a great result when USC loses.

• Thumbs Up 2

I feel good for Utah tonight;

I hope I don't next week

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/21/2023 at 8:16 PM, kirklandduck said:

Wow USC dline guy booted for targeting, really bad time to do that!

Transferred from Ga .  DL knew him from his days there.  There’s a reason DL did not even consider him when he entered the portal.  He was considered a liability and a ‘me’ guy.

• Thumbs Up 1

Utah is a tough place to play, but I have watched Oregon every week and they are WAY better than usc, so I think it is the Ducks game to lose.  Should be a dogfight because the Ute defense is tough but Utah can’t score on Oregon like they did on the trojans.  I think the team that wins in SLC next weekend will make it to Vegas.  Hope it is the home team, but just don’t think we have enough horsepower.

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 2

WOW! On a Saturday that only featured 4 top 25 vs. top 25 games, could you ask for anything more?

Bama was getting punched in the mouth but as has often been the case this season The Tide owned the 2nd half vs. the Vols.

UNC loses to UVA! UVA? Mario wins his first ACC home game and the Dabo's now have 3 Ls. FSU looked good late vs. a tough Duke. Duke?

The 2 B12 teams ticketed to the B12 champ game, TX and OK, barely survived.

Oregon wins but Cam Ward goes 34 of 48 for 438 yards! More than 100 yards the presumptive Heisman winner put up last Saturday. Thank goodness for a great run game but the Ducks best be ready for a 15-rounder in SLC.

Utah behind its 2nd, 3rd, whatever string QB, wins in LA. Next week in SLC will not be an easy out. Whit is a heck of a coach, and this could be his best season ever coaching the Runnin' Utes. Rising will red shirt. Oregon State shutting down Utah in Corvallis is looking even better. But look out Beavers for AZ in Tucson.

I watched the Ohio State vs. Penn State heavyweight fight and could not help but think that OREGON and UW would beat both of these teams. Michigan plastered Michigan State. B1G deal. Michigan has played and plays no one until it trips to Penn State.

The all-time Under was on the line for Minnesota at Iowa and the Gophers 12-10 win went under the under.

Man. this season is so much fun. Be it the portal, NIL, or whatever, parity abounds.

GO DUCKS!

• Applause 1

On 10/21/2023 at 9:49 PM, Dr Hilarius said:

I live in LA, and I am seriously considering getting ‘24 season tickets at U$C in the visitors’ section. 🤣

Soooooooooo worth it to get to cheer against them vs all those B1G teams.

Based on this evening in the Coli, you may need to cheer against B12 teams.

No. 14 Utah edges No. 18 USC in thriller with field goal as time expires

Cole Becker made a 38-yard field goal as time expired, and No. 14 Utah blew an 11-point lead in the fourth quarter before rallying for a thrilling 34-32 victory over No. 18 USC on Saturday night in Los Angeles.

After Caleb Williams ran for an 11-yard touchdown with 1:46 left for the Trojans (6-2, 4-1 Pac-12), Bryson Barnes punctuated Utah’s winning drive with a spectacular 26-yard scramble to get the Utes (6-1, 3-1) well into range for Becker’s winner.

WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

Two-way sensation Sione Vaki caught two touchdown passes and accounted for 217 total yards for the Utes, who won 34-32 at the...

Gold: USC lets College Football Playoff hopes -- and Caleb Williams' Heisman hopes -- slip away in last-second loss to Utah

Caleb Williams sat on the USC bench in silence biting his cheek, frowning a familiar frown. Then he tossed his head back and put his head in his hands.

The realization washed over him in real time.

And now the Trojans’ time has run out.

Utah’s 34-32 last-second win at the Los Angeles Coliseum on Saturday night in front of a stunned crowd all but ends USC’s College Football Playoff dreams, just about certainly ends Williams’ repeat Heisman Trophy hopes and most certainly casts a pall over a season that began with immense promise.

For weeks, the Trojans felt things slipping from their grasp. An uninspiring win at Arizona State. A worrisome win at Colorado. Needing three overtimes to beat Arizona at home. A definitive loss at Notre Dame.

And now this

SATURDAYOUTWEST.COM

USC played with fire for far too long, and now for the second straight week -- and for the third time in two years against Utah --...

3 takeaways from Utah's walk-off win over USC at the Coliseum

Utah has won four straight games against USC.

The Utes beat the Trojans twice last season — once in Salt Lake City and then again in the Pac-12 title game to capture the program’s second consecutive conference title.

Saturday night in Los Angeles, Utah played the role of spoiler again for Lincoln Riley and the 18th-ranked Trojans. Utah roared to a 28-14 second-half lead and then survived a rally from USC in the fourth quarter.

A pick-six and a huge punt return gave the Trojans all the momentum and eventually a 32-31 lead. But Utah, led by Bryson Barnes, had one last push at the end of the game and drove to set up a walk-off 38-yard field goal from Cole Becker to win 34-32.

The win keeps No. 14 Utah (6-1, 3-1 Pac-12) very much alive in the Pac-12 title discussion this season. And while USC (6-2, 4-1 Pac-12) isn’t yet out of the conference title race, the Trojans’ College Football Playoff hopes are all but dashed with a second loss in as many weeks.

Here are three takeaways from the game...I wonder, where are the pundits who wrote USC was a CFB Playoff team?

SATURDAYOUTWEST.COM

Utah kicked a field goal as time expired to knock of USC on the road and keep its dream of a Pac-12 three-peat alive.

On 10/22/2023 at 8:51 AM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

Here are three takeaways from the game...I wonder, where are the pundits who wrote USC was a CFB Playoff team?

SATURDAYOUTWEST.COM

Utah kicked a field goal as time expired to knock of USC on the road and keep its dream of a Pac-12 three-peat alive.

Three takeaways for every Lincoln Riley coached team:

1. Under-performing

2. Undisciplined

3. Over-hyped

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Question: What is the proper time in the current failed season's schedule for a SUC fan to declare themselves next year's championship favorite?

• Haha 2
  • Great post! 1

On 10/22/2023 at 9:36 AM, EastBayDuckDad said:

Three takeaways for every Lincoln Riley coached team:

1. Under-performing

2. Undisciplined

3. Over-hyped

Well, sure, but his house has 12 bathrooms, an elevator and a 600-bottle "wine room". Totally symbolic of the USC approach to life.

• Applause 1

$10 million a year???

I suppose it was worth it getting the fans excited again.

He is definitely an upgrade from the last guy.