Charles Fischer

Utah in SLC: Our Toughest Regular Season Game Remaining?

I think it is, after what I saw of Utah versus USC.  They have an offense now, and my only encouragement is that USC scored 32 points on the superb Ute defense.

No matter what the win record...USC at home will be tough.  Oregon State could be the toughest test, but again--we have them at home of which helps a ton.  But Salt Lake City has been almost impossible to win at, and lately--OBD has had their butts kicked there.

Is this week the toughest left on the regular schedule?

Rice-Eccles Stadium | Utah Sports Commission

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Great post! 1

Mr. FishDuck

If UU is the toughest, then OSU is right on their tail. The Beavs have been quietly producing with a solid team. Their weakness? To me it's their QB and he is getting better. The Beavs are 'just good enough' to win the 'Civil War'. 

Yes!! I said Civil War!! Its the last one that we know about. 

• Go Ducks! 1

For me, YES!

The Utes are the real deal. The are almost unbeatable at home. Ducks must exploit the Utes few weaknesses and their own tendencies.

The game is a toss up. 

USC is simply an offensive highlight machine. As a team they are more fluff than substance.

OSU will not be able to pound the ball and overcome a 20 point deficit.  DL has a stout front 7 built to stop the run.

When the Ducks play clean they are unbeatable at home......

All 3 games will be exciting, physical and nerve wracking.

However, the only game thats on the Duck 1 game season is Utah.....

Go Ducks.....

• Go Ducks! 1

This week, the opponent is the toughest game on the schedule,  That will be followed by the next week’s opponent and so on thru the season.

The upcoming opponent is ALWAYS the toughest, and I hope it remains that way for the three games following the last in-conference civil war.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Game Day in UT

Raucous crowd.

Betting line 6.5

O/U 49.5

Kyle Whittingham

Of the 3 remaining tough games this is the toughest because it's at UT.

I think the Ducks will be held to under 30 pts for the 1st time this year. Expect a slow drug out low TOP game like Stanford and Shaw used to give us. Frustrating to watch. Tighten your seatbelts, could be in for a rough landing.

• Go Ducks! 1

USC is way overrated and Utes are pretty beat up and just lost their star LB for the season. This is a tough read.

Rice Eccles is a tough environment and KW is a great coach. Ducks better come ready to play.

I think Beavs are going to be a tougher out. They are qissed. And they are going to be out to hammer the Ducks. Autzen or not. 

• Go Ducks! 1

All three of these will be tough but the toughest will be vs The Dawgs in the Pac 12 Championship!

• Applause 2

IMHO our toughest opponent is ourselves.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

On 10/23/2023 at 8:35 AM, Santa Rosa Duck said:

All three of these will be tough but the toughest will be vs The Dawgs in the Pac 12 Championship!

Right.  But the question was the regular season, although you could say the choices are bad-or-bad.

Mr. FishDuck

On paper, UU in SLC seems like the toughest, but this year’s Civil War will be one for the record books. 

The emotion will be off the charts.

2 top-10 teams? Totally possible.

Winner goes to Vegas? Totally possible.

Uiagalelei sacks Uiagalelei to seal the win? For sure!

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Haha 1
  • Mic drop 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I was born in Eugene and I have been a Duck fan as long as I can remember. I also graduated from Utah, so I have watched both teams a lot this year. Utah’s offense is suspect this year. I really think the outcome to the Utah/USC game was more of how bad USC’s defense is and not how good Utahs offense is. In all reality, USC has a lot of talent, but there are too many head cases from top to bottom, starting with the coach.

This will be a tough game for Oregon if their offense doesn’t show up. The defense will be able to stop Utah’s offense more times than not. With that all said, it is going to be a tough but great game! 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I like what the Navy Seals say, the only easy day was yesterday.

There will be greater challenges every day going forward.

Basically, if the Ducks keep improving every team ahead of them will be giving them their best shot. 

What I want to see is the Ducks coming out on fire and they just keep the pedal to the metal. We need to show this type of play in order to make the upcoming opponents afraid, doubtful.  The sleepy, sporadic play recently is just fueling the belief we are beatable.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

I like the Ducks going into SLC more after seeing the way they handled themselves in a raucous environment in Seattle.

Just have to contain the big receiver and two way player!  I'm terrible with names.  I guess if I was a NASCAR driver I'd say the 17 and the 28.  Never understood that but maybe I do now!😝

Stuff the Ute’s run game in SLC, box-up Williams at Autzen, and be ready for anything in the Civil War. But, please oh please, don’t forget about Cal and ASU! Then we can start thinking about Lost Wages.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sione Vaki is an absolute stud. He reflects the Utah program and the toughness which is built into that team by its coach.

Vaki plays two ways, a great safety turned into a dynamite offensive weapon.  If he gets going on offense then it will be tough.   Stop him and the Ducks win big.  

I would say it's the biggest game we've had in a while in terms of must win, we really need to win this in order to take the next step in Lanning's progression, we've had some good wins, we now need a great win which this will be.  I have greater faith than the last time we went to Utah, better QB, better coach, better defense than back then, have to believe that our lines will be up for this.

• Applause 1

College Gameday in town (I'll have to watch even with McAfee jumping around like a hormonally goosed teenager. McAfee, due to 49% of folks watching his antics and not being happy with the same, 20% neutral, may not be back on CGD next season. Make it so!) 

Oregon is 0-1 in front of CGD this season. Will Mel Brooks (disguised as Lee Corso) once again diss Puddles? 

Bryson Barnes is now 5-0 when he starts at QB. 235 pass yards in LA. 57 rush yards with a late 26-yard gain on the ground setting up the winning FG. And he exemplified what the Utah program is about, overcoming a late-in-the-game pick-6 to lead Utah to victory.

Safety Sione Vaki, played both ways, starting also at RB, due to several injuries, the week before the SC game. Against SC, Vaki put up 217 total yards. 58 rushing and 149 yards receiving, catching all 5 passes thrown to him. 

Hopefully, the two injured Ducks CBs will return for this game and the Ducks pass D will improve after giving up 438 yards to Cam Ward. (But hats off to Williams - 14 tackles.) Credit where it is due, the Ducks D only gave up 57 rush yards to WSU and limited Ward's ability to run the ball.

FPI gives the Ducks an over 60% chance to win the game. Oregon opened at -3.5 and has been bet up to -5.5. A very generous spread IMO. Since 1933, Oregon is 9-7 in SLC with the last win coming in 2018, 30-28 with Justin Herbert throwing 4 2nd-half TD passes.

[How about this stat. Bo Nix set the all-time CFB record last Saturday with his 54th CFB start at QB.

Bo's first start came against OREGON (sigh), quarterbacked by Justin Herbert. 

On Sunday last, Justin Herbert made his 55th NFL start.] 

OREGON's run game last Saturday was outstanding. I have no idea why Stein opened the 3rd Q with pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, punt. 

Utah will not be out finessed. The Utes D gave up 401 yards to SC in LA which is not bad at all. Smash mouth these guys and keep on smash-mouthing mixed in with a few (thank you, Charles) Bird Bombs. The OREGON OL has exceeded expectations this season. Take advantage. 

And it is now the season stretch run. If it's there, do not hesitate to run Bo.

GO DUCKS!

• Applause 1

I think it is likely our toughest game we have left to play, even if the Beavers are a clear notch above them.

Although I'm very happy we are playing Utah in October in a noon time game rather than PAC12 after bedtime in November. That does reduce the degree of difficulty.

Oregon vs. Oregon

On 10/23/2023 at 12:07 PM, Jon Joseph said:

I have no idea why Stein opened the 3rd Q with pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, punt.

Stein used to play QB.  Somehow it's really hard for ex-QB play callers to NOT pass.

• Haha 1
  • Like 1

I'm not sure if this is the toughest game, but it is the KEY game.  In my mind, if we take care of business at home, we had to win @Washington or @Utah.

I have a lot of respect for Utah and this game will be tough.  However, Oregon has the most balanced (unarguably) and the most explosive (arguably) offense in the country.  As long as we don't get cute on offense and take the 3 points when available, we should escape with a win.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Utah and the Trojans will present challenges in different perspectives. The toughest game left in my view will be against the Beavers.

They are an excellent team that is fast with strong lines. They play well together and their coach is one of the best and understands the importance of this game to Beaver nation.

The Beavers will have skill plus some tricks up their sleeve.

The Beavers will leave their guts on the field. As of now, I’m not sure that the Ducks have the same or more constitution than the Beavs.

If the Ducks find the fortitude to win against Utah, it will be a step forward toward beating the Beavers, and getting into the playoff.

The talent and depth are there, but is the fire? 

Edited by Notalot
  • Applause 1

On 10/23/2023 at 2:55 PM, Notalot said:

Utah and the Trojans will present challenges in different perspectives. The toughest game left in my view will be against the Beavers.

They are an excellent team that is fast with strong lines. They play well together and their coach is one of the best and understands the importance of this game to Beaver nation.

The Beavers will have skill plus some tricks up their sleeve.

The Beavers will leave their guts on the field. As of now, I’m not sure that the Ducks have the same or more constitution than the Beavs.

If the Ducks find the fortitude to win against Utah, it will be a step forward toward beating the Beavers, and getting into the playoff.

The talent and depth are there, but is the fire? 

Lose to UW and the beavs two years in a row and in the last year of the P12 in the CW? That would sting forever.

• Yikes! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/23/2023 at 3:37 PM, GODUCKS15 said:

Lose to UW and the beavs two years in a row and in the last year of the P12 in the CW? That would sting forever.

You are absolutely right.  Hope OBD is motivated to not lose the state again.   This could be the last Civil War for a while.   Who knows how many years of Beaver FB is left?  Go Ducks!

On 10/23/2023 at 3:37 PM, GODUCKS15 said:

I see your UW and OSU loss and I raise you Utes, ASU, Cal and Trojan loss. Sheesh... 

chicken-little.jpg.fabd2b3e5fc46e008cad2956e3dc4063.jpg