Geoduck

TY Thompson Performance

Really impressed by TT performance tonight. Yes, it was in trash time, but passes were crisp and offense was run very efficiently. In his limited time playing, this is his best performance so far.  

• Applause 4
  • Thumbs Up 11
  • Like 1

The zip on his ball was what impressed me. 

Also, he looked like he was really enjoying himself out there and that's awesome to see.  I mean, having a 4 TD lead when you come in should take some of the jitters away.

Heck, I would have a smile on my face if Lanning said "hey, old guy...go in there and finish the game.'

It was well done, but I personally have a Ty Thompson problem, in that I am too biased against him.  If a RS freshman did what he did today...I'd be declaring that, "he is the next Bo." 

But since it is Ty...I still do not have confidence that he can do that through the grind of a game and the tough moments.

giphy.gif

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

Have to agree Charles. I think we all love TT, but is he the guy for next year? I would say no. The transfer portal will open up and some top tier QBs will be flocking to Eugene if they have the chance. 

I think Thompson is capable of leading this team. He has a huge arm and good legs. He has looked good in his limited snaps. Poised and in control of the offense.

Mostly, the guy is begging to be out there. Before, he looked afraid to be out there. Vs Utes he was begging for them to let him throw the ball.

Ty went 6/8 with a TD and a QBR of 92. He had a good night that will only build on his confidence.

The thing that TT will face thats almost imposible is he will be following up Nix if he wins the starting job. Add the fact that a lot of people feel the same as CF and QQ. This kid might not stand a chance.

Talk about bad luck. Ty gets developed by Mariø then might have to follow up Nix. Lose/lose! Ty just might get a hard lesson, just because he showed loyalty doesn't mean others (Lanning to be specific) will or should show loyalty back. This is big time football. Just brutal if it plays out this way.

IMO, Ty can be the man. I think he has all the skill needed and it looks like he is hungry finally. He has another off season to get better and win the job. I think he will do it.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 6

Yep, I feel you Charles, but for better or for worse he is likely the backup right now. He looked better than just competent tonight, granted it was mop up.

If he is playing with first team guys, full playbook he wins, against ASU. I don't want him having to win anything until next year. He did look good!

I will say he has had loyalty to our program, and I am rooting for him.

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 4

On 11/4/2023 at 8:55 PM, Log Haulin said:

I think Thompson is capable of leading this team. He has a huge arm and good legs. He has looked good in his limited snaps. Poised and in control of the offense.

Mostly, the guy is begging to be out there. Before, he looked afraid to be out there. Vs Utes he was begging for them to let him throw the ball.

Ty went 6/8 with a TD and a QBR of 92. He had a good night that will only build on his confidence.

The thing that TT will face thats almost imposible is he will be following up Nix if he wins the starting job. Add the fact that a lot of people feel the same as CF and QQ. This kid might not stand a chance.

Talk about bad luck. Ty gets developed by Mariø then might have to follow up Nix. Lose/lose! Ty just might get a hard lesson, just because he showed loyalty doesn't mean others will show loyalty back. Just brutal if it plays out this way.

IMO, Ty can be the man. I think he has all the skill needed and it looks like he is hungry finally. He has another off season to get better and win the job. I think he will do it.

I haven't watched Ty much, but he looked like a deer in the headlights out there last year. However, a Spring and Summer of taking first-team reps in practice may make him look like a completely different player. At Georgia, Carson Beck looked like Ty as the backup QB in early 2020. He quickly lost his backup status to Stetson Bennett who, in turn, became the starter shortly thereafter. My point is that Carson had a paucity of first-team reps that year. When he got more in 22 and during the Spring and Summer of 23, his talent and knowledge of the offense became readily apparent. I won't be surprised if the same doesn't happen for TT next year.

In any case, expect a period of adjustment in the offense, and some fits and starts, whomever takes snaps for the Ducks next September. Nix will not be easily replaced I fear.

• Thumbs Up 3

If Stein and DL tell us Ty is the guy next season, I am inclined to agree until proven otherwise. 

Something leads me to believe the only way someone starts at QB with those two in charge, is by earning it.

Dan Lanning doesn't seem like the sort of boss who responds well to smoke blown in close proximity to his nether regions. (Hope that wasn't over the line!)

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

I watched TT´s two drives before having to go to work 😪. I was cheering him on like crazy. I was SO happy they let him run a regular offence his first drive and he did great. He looked in control; he looked sharp; and he marched the team down the field.

The calls in the second drive seemed much more conservative/garbage time/run out the clock type of calls. I was pumped that he got the one good drive, and pumped that they scored on the second drive too.

Totally agree that WHOEVER follows Bo-dacious is going to get the short end of the stick... kind of like the poor guy that followed John Wooden at UCLA. They went to the final 4 his first year but only won one game - not the championship. Gene Bartow left after 2 seasons with the fans never satisfied. They weren't satisfied with the next 4 coaches either.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 11/4/2023 at 11:24 PM, Jon Sousa said:

I watched TT´s two drives before having to go to work 😪. I was cheering him on like crazy. I was SO happy they let him run a regular offence his first drive and he did great. He looked in control; he looked sharp; and he marched the team down the field.

The calls in the second drive seemed much more conservative/garbage time/run out the clock type of calls. I was pumped that he got the one good drive, and pumped that they scored on the second drive too.

Totally agree that WHOEVER follows Bo-dacious is going to get the short end of the stick... kind of like the poor guy that followed John Wooden at UCLA. They went to the final 4 his first year but only won one game - not the championship. Gene Bartow left after 2 seasons with the fans never satisfied. They weren't satisfied with the next 4 coaches either.

If anyone was hard to follow it was Justin, but that was more a coaching situation. Oregon tends to reload at QB, but I will agree the bar is high. 

My bet is we will reload, as Stein seems to know what he is doing in development and play calling for the QB's. What I saw was play calling for Ty was atrocious under previous coaches. Yesterday was a perfect example of giving Ty a fair chance to lead, throw and score. 

I think there will also be a competition through the fall. There just might be another Justin waiting to sling it for four years. Wouldn't that be fun to see again.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 11/5/2023 at 2:37 PM, Haywarduck said:

I think there will also be a competition through the fall. There just might be another Justin waiting to sling it for four years. Wouldn't that be fun to see again.

I can't even imagine what it would be like to have Justin-ll behind this line, with these skill players, coached by Stein, running his offense and with a DL-Lupoi run defense. Then again, maybe I can 😎.

TT may have all the tools but can he use them in real time and under pressure? Yesterday was definitely a step in the right direction. We'll know in the off season when the portal is active and hopefully not before.

• Let’s hope! 1

I believe that working with Bo for two years will be the difference for TT.  I can almost guarantee that Bo has spent hours helping the quarterback room.  It will be very difficult for a portal guy and come in and win the job before the season considering how much time TT has put into the system.  But I will bet that DL goes after a portal guy to create competition. I will be rooting for TT but I know that DL will have the best guy starting next year.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Great comments and a great deal to ponder about Ty....

Ty has athleticism, a rocket arm, quick release and size. Those are his givens. Those are great givens...

Following Bo will be difficult for any QB, even a proven portal transfer. And yes talented, proven QB's will be lining up to transfer to Oregon.

As Charles, the writers and OBDF posters have pointed out, Bo is special and we should enjoy every moment of his Duck career.

What makes Bo so special and why are the a Ducks 18-4 with Bo taking snaps? It's Bo' intangibles.... intangibles that Bo has developed as a 5 year starter.

Bo developed, thru experience and hard work.

Bo has learned how to utilize the clock and slow the game down. He is not just playing in the game. Bo is taking command of the game.

How many audibles has he called, or multiple audibles, and snapped the ball under 5 seconds on the play clock?

Moves and countermoves are part of his strength. Can Ty or any transfer QB bring that calmness and control to the Duck offense? Don't know!

Bo is accurate even when he scrambles. Because of the play calling by Stein and/or Bo's audibles the receivers are wide open. More important, he takes the time to scan the field.

The last 2 seasons the O line has given Bo the time to make all this production happen. But Bo did his part and was patient enough to let the play unfold.

I ask the Forum, can you name a college QB who has consistently stayed calm, called audibles and continued to improve? Maybe Burroughs and Bennett.....and they lead their team to Nattys...

Even if DL brings in a experienced starter, Ty will get his chance to win the starting job.

As long as Stein stays then Ty will know the system. But he will lack 50 plus games of experience. That cannot be overstated.

It took time and games for Bo to read defenses, call audibles and slow his internal clock to a standstill.

Ty will have to learn and develope those traits, on the job with Michigan, tOSU and UW on the schedule. .....only time will tell.

In the meantime, i will enjoy the gift that is Bo. Let's hope we see Bo healthy and starting 6 more games as a Duck

As for Ty, he has talent. The difference might be how much he has learned from Bo........

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

As I stated earlier, I thought TT threw some good balls and he seemed to enjoy himself out there last night.  

Now, the harsh reality is that next year (IF he is our starter), he will be facing some defenses in the BIG that are loaded with talent.  If I knew we had Bo going into next year, I would not be worried one iota.  But TT?  Let me just say that I would like to see him play a full game against say Portland State or maybe Sheldon High School before I am willing to hand over the keys to the Ferrari.

I'm certainly NOT in the QB room or on the practice field and he MAY be the guy.  I just haven't seen enough "go out and win the game" stuff from him.  "Go out and close out this 28 point lead" scenarios are much easier to produce in.

Edited by Ktmguy2018
  • Applause 1

On 11/5/2023 at 5:37 AM, Haywarduck said:

If anyone was hard to follow it was Justin, but that was more a coaching situation. Oregon tends to reload at QB, but I will agree the bar is high. 

My bet is we will reload, as Stein seems to know what he is doing in development and play calling for the QB's. What I saw was play calling for Ty was atrocious under previous coaches. Yesterday was a perfect example of giving Ty a fair chance to lead, throw and score. 

I think that will steins offense appears to be simpler to approach/digest for Ty and he looks more assertive. Additionally, Stein has not put him in 3rd and longs each time he comes in just because he hands it up the middle twice on 1st and 2nd down, so he has the chance to really get his feet wet and actually run the offense. 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I said it in a other thread but I'll say it here as well. 

It all comes down to what the coaches do with the portal concerning QB. If no QBs are added and none leave for the portal these coaches feel really confident in what they have. 

If they add a QB that will be telling in itself. 

If a QB leaves for the portal and then they add one... That might be for depth or that the coaches don't like what they have. 

We'll have a better snea eof this in December. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I think that Oregon may well add a portal QB this year, but not because they don't think TT can lead them successfully. If TT is the starter, who is the backup? We will have Novosad as a redshirt freshman and two very good recruits.

The only cue we have about Novosad is that he is behind Ty. We have no clue how quickly the new freshman will adjust to the college game. Bring in a good portal QB and you have a real competition (which probably TT wins)... AND you have a quality #2, whether it be TT or the new guy.

Therefore, I think that DL bringing in a QB from the Portal is not an inditement of TT at all. It is just the fact that without a Portal QB, the back ups will have close to NO EXPERIENCE in the college game at all.

• Thumbs Up 1

The Ducks will be able to portal in a top 10 rated QB if they want. If TT has arrived and is the five star super stud he's supposed to be, he should be able to beat out a top 10 rated QB. Either way, UO should have a top 10 rated QB running the show next year.

Ty Thompson did show up well on Saturday. As for his experience in one crazy way he is getting less game time this year than one would expect. Bo Nix is playing a great deal of time because he is being promoted for the Heisman. A Heisman would be quite an award for Dan Lanning, Bo and the University of Oregon therefore Bo IMHO is playing more than he has to as many of these games are put away early and consequently TT is not getting as much playing time if our QB were not in the running for the Heisman. Just my two bits.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ty Thompson showing progress in late game appearances

Sophomore quarterback Ty Thompson played well in Saturday's 63-19 beatdown of Cal. Thompson led two fourth quarter scoring drives and closed the scoring with a TD pass to Traeshon Holden...

247SPORTS.COM

Sophomore quarterback Ty Thompson played well in Saturday's 63-19 beatdown of Cal. Thompson led two fourth quarter scoring...

TT played well. My sense is he is like DJU, and his ceiling is similar.

Actually I think TT's mechanics are better, but accuracy is still suspect. There was one throw to the outside that was off enough to delay the RB getting up field in time to pickup the first down. There was another receiver out wide with the ball landing at his feet.

Like others say, Bo will be tough act to follow. I'm spoiled.

But it's a legitimate question if we could be playoff caliber with DJU level of inconsistent play. We have fantastic talent but not tOSU or Bama levels of talent. Next year could be rough. We need to enjoy this season.

On 11/4/2023 at 8:30 PM, QuackyQuack said:

Have to agree Charles. I think we all love TT, but is he the guy for next year? I would say no. The transfer portal will open up and some top tier QBs will be flocking to Eugene if they have the chance. 

Me too.  Yeah, he did OK last night, but it was a pretty short outing and the game was already over for all intents and purposes.  Plus, by then the zip had gone out of Cal due to the score, the rain, and (sadly) the horrific injury suffered by a team mate.  Lord knows how things might have gone had Oregon been down a score or two and needed to get caught up.

Ty will get his chance to make his case next season - the coaching staff will give him every opportunity he needs to succeed.  But I will not be surprised to see either Austin Novasad or some other (possibly a transfer) come in and snatch Ty's starting role away.  I just don't think he's solid or has that "it" factor.  I'm perfectly willing (and hoping) to be wrong.

• Thumbs Up 1