Ryan Robertson

Who Is The Worst Transfer QB You Would Take?

With BoDacious leaving for the NFL after a storied career (hopefully culminating in some playoff WINS), next year the Ducks will need a new man under center.

The obvious successor is Ty Thompson, who has been really good in mop-up duty all season long. The kid has shown growth, an ability to run the offense he had never shown before, and (just to bring it back to mr. FishDuck himself) a field PRESENCE.

But is it enough to win the starting spot?

I'm not so sure. And if Dan Lanning holds to his tendencies, he will bring in a transfer QB, despite two guys presumably returning, and two recruits coming in.

So my question for all of you:

Who is the WORST quarterback transfer you would take from another school?

Someone you think could challenge for the starting spot, but maybe they haven't played fantastic throughout their career (think Bo Nix, Anthony Brown, Tyler Shough on his way to TTU).

Edited by Ryan Robertson
Requested

Wow.  That is a GREAT question.  Truth is, I was NOT a fan of Bo coming to Oregon because I didn't know enough about him; only that he had struggled at Auburn.  

Fishduck mentioned Tyler Van Dyke from Miami and that's a solid "maybe" for me.  In a different thread, I mentioned Quinn Ewers if he leaves Texas. 

But one guy that I would keep my eye on comes from DL's former program and that is Brock Vandagriff from Georgia.  

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

I would add Cam Ward.

He is inconsistent (see yesterday’s game against Stanford) but so was Bo Nix before Oregon and I’ve been impressed the last two games he’s played Oregon. Perhaps with Oregon’s supporting cast, Cam would find success and consistency. He is extremely athletic and fast. I wonder if Coach Stein would bring some of the running plays that he ran at UTSA with an athletic QB, especially if he has TT.  

• Like 1

I'm sure there are legions of sub-par QBs out there. May the Ducks never be compelled to settle for one. How about candidates to transfer in that might work in the current system and compete with TT for the starting job? 

Moore (UCLA)

Mendoza (Cal)

Ewers (Texas)

Van Dyke (Miami)

I'm looking forward to seeing the in-house QBs compete for the job: Thompson, Novosad, Van Buren and Moga. And Akili ll in 2025.

If DL and Stein bring in a transfer, that will be very telling about their faith in who they've got in that room. That said, I draw hope from what we saw from TT yesterday. No more deer in the headlights. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/5/2023 at 10:53 AM, EastBayDuckDad said:

If DL and Stein bring in a transfer, that will be very telling about their faith in who they've got in that room. 

I respectfully disagree.  

Dan Lanning likes to have competition at every position. “Iron sharpens iron.”

That is how you build an elite team (e.g., USC under Pete Carroll, Bama under Nick Saban). The most important position should not be excluded from competition.  

I’ll be rooting for TT but I hope that our coaches bring in an experienced QB from the portal to COMPETE. None of the backup QBs have played a full season at this level, so they are all untested.  Mike Bellotti used to say that a starting QB is like tea, you don’t know what you’ve got until you put it in hot water. 

Edited by OregonDucks
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

All I will weigh in with is I hope Ty wins out and has an amazing career as qb for Oregon. He deserves this, but to further confirm he should win the position he seems to be up to competing with whoever is brought in.

I do find it interesting they didn't bring somebody in to be the back-up this season. They must see something in Ty and the guys who they have coming in, or they may have already pulled the trigger.

As far as who I would accept, whoever Stein and Lanning see as the best candidate to make the position and culture at Oregon the best it can be. That may be somebody at another position, who knows.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 11/5/2023 at 11:39 AM, Haywarduck said:

I do find it interesting they didn't bring somebody in to be the back-up this season.

There was talk about the Texas QB, who I believe played for Will Stein in high school. However, all the talk to Oregon stopped once Bo Nix announced he was coming back for his senior year.

It would be very difficult, if not impossible, to bring in a high-level, experienced QB with a potential Heisman candidate returning. They are transferring to play and to win a championship, improve their draft stock, etc., not to backup the incumbent QB. 

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Certainly there will be a lot of high ceilings underperforming QB's dying to join the Ducks, but it is within the realm of possibilities that we snag some QB that is really good already, from a team in the bottom half of a power 5 league.

I really like that Fifita kid from AZ. A cross between Kyler Murray and Vernon Adams.

Some possible transfer portal names for 2024 I've seen listed (most reported from 247 Network):

Michael Pratt (Tulane)

Grayson McCall (Coastal Carolina)

Max Brosmer (New Hampshire)

Brock Vandergriff (Georgia)

Gunner Stockton (Georgia)

Maalik Murphy (Texas)

Cade Klubnik (Clemson)

Ty Simpson (Alabama)

Tyler Van Dyke (Miami)

Jacurri Brown (Miami)

Chandler Morris (TCU)

Jayden de Laura (Arizona)

Brayden Dorman (Arizona)

Devin Brown (Ohio State)

Sam Horn (Missouri)

Ethan Gabbers (UCLA)

Max Johnson (Texas A&M)

Michael Pratt would be a big name; but, if he decides to move from the AAC to the P5, I imagine every major program in need of a QB will be in the mix. Miami fans do appear to be ready to run Van Dyke out of town, what a wild storyline TVD to Oregon would be.

Edited by AnotherOD

On 11/5/2023 at 3:15 PM, AnotherOD said:

Miami fans do appear to be ready to run Van Dyke out of town, what a wild storyline TVD to Oregon would be.

Here, you guys take our coach to make your team worse and we will take your QB that your new coach made worse and turn him into a dark horse Heisman candidate.  Oh, and you can keep the coach.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 11/5/2023 at 3:37 PM, Ktmguy2018 said:

Here, you guys take our coach to make your team worse and we will take your QB that your new coach made worse and turn him into a dark horse Heisman candidate.  Oh, and you can keep the coach.

Don't forget the millions of dollars Miami paid Oregon to take Mario off our hands.

Oregon won that trade!

• Mic drop 1

On 11/5/2023 at 6:45 PM, OregonDucks said:

Don't forget the millions of dollars Miami paid Oregon to take Mario off our hands.

Oregon won that trade!

Lol, absolutely.  To say they won that trade is a massive understatement. Miami paid Oregon for Mario and it freed the Ducks up to bring in Lanning!!!  I’d say Oregon won the Lottery with this turn of events!!!

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

I personally think that TVD would be cool to see, and it would make Miami realize their HC might not have what it takes when he goes crazy under a new offense.

As far as guys like Cam Ward, or de Laura: they both have transferred once, so they'd have to sit out a year unless they're grad transfers (I think). Both are definitely dynamic, so they'd be interesting.

I saw someone mention Fifita, and I can't see him transferring after taking the starting job as effectively as he has.

I wonder if a guy like Brayden

Fowler-Nicolosi would look to transfer P5 after having such a strong year. Or maybe a guy like Diego Pavia could make the jump.

Or of course there are the non-FBS QBs. No idea what they look like though.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/5/2023 at 4:45 PM, OregonDucks said:

Oregon won that trade!

I think that's my favorite part. 

• Applause 2

Lanning brought Bo in due to winning immediately. He didn't know the QB room and what he saw made him put out the leaders. Lanning now has a few QB's he's recruited to fit his offense. TT wouldn't be here if he didn't have some semblance of a grasp of the offense. He's been a head scratcher up to this year. All of a sudden he's looking solid. It wouldn't be fair to think he will seamlessly replace Bonix. 

Ty looks more than competent and willing to grow. Lets get that kid some reps with the #1's when U$C is down 45-17 with 5 minutes to go in the 3rd. 

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I've already revealed my hand last week.  Mendoza from CAL if for no other reason than he has some serious ability and is only a Freshman.  He'll have 3 years of eligibility left and will likely have 8 starts under his belt by the end of the season. Ty has what, 1 or 2?

On 11/5/2023 at 1:53 PM, EastBayDuckDad said:

I'm sure there are legions of sub-par QBs out there. May the Ducks never be compelled to settle for one. How about candidates to transfer in that might work in the current system and compete with TT for the starting job? 

Moore (UCLA)

Mendoza (Cal)

Ewers (Texas)

Van Dyke (Miami)

I'm looking forward to seeing the in-house QBs compete for the job: Thompson, Novosad, Van Buren and Moga. And Akili ll in 2025.

If DL and Stein bring in a transfer, that will be very telling about their faith in who they've got in that room. That said, I draw hope from what we saw from TT yesterday. No more deer in the headlights. 

Ewers is off to the NFL. Van Dyke is an injury waiting to happen.

I like the idea of Vandergriff but I also like Novosad taking his lumps in 4 OOC hames before tripping to UCLA after a bye week in 2024.

Dante Moore? The once Oregon lean could be there to explore. And how about redshirt frosh Tafita at Arizona? This young man reminds me of Drew Brees.

Cam Ward? Kind of a TO machine. Aiden Chiles from Oregon State. This would be dammed by a lot of angry Beavers.

On 11/5/2023 at 8:30 PM, Mic said:

I've already revealed my hand last week.  Mendoza from CAL if for no other reason than he has some serious ability and is only a Freshman.  He'll have 3 years of eligibility left and will likely have 8 starts under his belt by the end of the season. Ty has what, 1 or 2?

If you want to go with a Pac-12 QB, I'd rather go with true frosh Aiden Chiles. 

And with the B1G in Oregon's sights, RS sophomore Fafita, who beat Oregon State and UCLA would be high on my list.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/5/2023 at 6:56 PM, SoGaDawg said:

Lol, absolutely.  To say they won that trade is a massive understatement. Miami paid Oregon for Mario and it freed the Ducks up to bring in Lanning!!!  I’d say Oregon won the Lottery with this turn of events!!!

And saved a brand that took close to a decade to build. Kudos to Charles for calling Mari(o) early on and taking grief for doing so.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 11/5/2023 at 5:50 PM, Jon Joseph said:

If you want to go with a Pac-12 QB, I'd rather go with true frosh Aiden Chiles. 

And with the B1G in Oregon's sights, RS sophomore Fafita, who beat Oregon State and UCLA would be high on my list.

The interesting thing about the Pac-12 is that there are actually a lot of good choices (assuming any of them want to transfer).  The Pac-12 is probably the best conference in the country right now and loaded with talent at the QB position.  We may not be THE strongest conference but from top-to-bottom I think the Pac is right there.

I suppose it would be curious if a qb came to Oregon if he knew he would be sitting on the bench. The problem is any qb who comes here has to be ready to compete and win the job. 

I just think Oregon is a better school than sc and they have a stacked qb room, with a starting qb who already won the heisman. Those guys know they aren't going to beat out Williams, that is certain. 

On 11/5/2023 at 8:55 PM, Mic said:

The interesting thing about the Pac-12 is that there are actually a lot of good choices (assuming any of them want to transfer).  The Pac-12 is probably the best conference in the country right now and loaded with talent at the QB position.  We may not be THE strongest conference but from top-to-bottom I think the Pac is right there.

The best conference? Week 11 AP, Pac-12 5 ranked. SEC 6 ranked. You can beef about 3L LSU but we also have 3L Arizona picking up the pieces from an LA lost weekend.

But the deepest QB conference? Heck yes.

Do not sell SC and an outstanding competitor and QB, Caleb Williams, short. This young man is doing all he can to overcome a dumpster fire defense.

256 yards rushing by UW RB Dillion Johnson last week, 199 yards before contact. Have Mercy!

Bucky, James, and the OL have to be salivating.

• Haha 1

Mic,

DL has to be very careful when contacting a QB located at a PAC-12 or other Power 5 school. So far, the NCAA has been ineffective in coralling the tampering.

Still, we don't want to give any other team and league a reason to "come gunning" for us anywhere except on the field when we play. 

I seriously doubt DL would take anybody his OC did not personally/professionally whole heartedly endorse. Coach Stein would be betting his job and reputation on that.

Whoever it is, they will be good. Last year, Moore was very good in HS, but he apparently did not believe he should have to compete for the job. Moore's stats at UCLA prove he was wrong by a mile, and we know Coach Kelly is a very good QB coach when he wishes to be. Moore will probably be very good next year, but would he have been a great backup here this year? Attitude is so important to make great coaching effective. 

VR,

KCDuck1

• Thumbs Up 1

What impresses one about UW running back Dillion Johnson is his size.  I'm willing to bet he'll prove to be a heck of a lot more durable than Bucky or Jordan James.  We love our fast-as-he_l and tough-as-nails running backs, but it's a darn good thing we have two of them. (More actually cause Donte Dowdell's coming along nicely.)

On 11/5/2023 at 9:12 PM, KCDuck1 said:

Mic,

DL has to be very careful when contacting a QB located at a PAC-12 or other Power 5 school. So far, the NCAA has been ineffective in coralling the tampering.

Still, we don't want to give any other team and league a reason to "come gunning" for us anywhere except on the field when we play. 

I seriously doubt DL would take anybody his OC did not personally/professionally whole heartedly endorse. Coach Stein would be betting his job and reputation on that.

Whoever it is, they will be good. Last year, Moore was very good in HS, but he apparently did not believe he should have to compete for the job. Moore's stats at UCLA prove he was wrong by a mile, and we know Coach Kelly is a very good QB coach when he wishes to be. Moore will probably be very good next year, but would he have been a great backup here this year? Attitude is so important to make great coaching effective. 

VR,

KCDuck1

Not sure that I would worry about Moore's stats as a true frosh for a UCLA team without good to great receivers and terrific DL but not so on the OL.

At Oregon, Moore would be surrounded by better coaches and with guys who can get downfield.

On 11/5/2023 at 6:12 PM, KCDuck1 said:

Mic,

VR,

KCDuck1

I won't argue this.  I don't understand how all this Transfer Portal stuff works but I was kinda under the impression the players had to initiate the interest to the particular team and the different teams were supposed to mind their own business unless they were contacted.  It's enough for athletes to know three things about Oregon:

1) Great place for Offensive-minded players (esp. QB's) to choose to come and play for

2) Bo's leaving and there's likely to be a big pair of shoes to fill that TT may not be able to fill, and

3) O's coaching staff is quickly proving itself to be at or near the Elite level as measured against any meaningful standard

All this is on top of the NIL, personal exposure and incredible facilities offered at U of O.  Oregon's brand is out there for everyone to see now.  Not like past decades where team scouts had to explain to these kids just where in the heck Oregon even was and why they might want to go there.

On 11/5/2023 at 9:12 PM, KCDuck1 said:

Mic,

VR,

KCDuck1

Good call. But the contacts are made by 3rd parties, often agents these days which is OK and not by coaches. 

There is a big NIL grapevine out there.

• Thumbs Up 1

"There was talk about the Texas QB, who I believe played for Will Stein in high school?"

Well, it's been a few years since Stein was at Lake Travis, but I believe you may be thinking of Hudson Card?

He signed with Texas, then transferred to Purdue.  He is still at Purdue, is a junior.  Purdue is 2-7 and not sure what his supporting cast is like.

At Travis, he ran Stein's offense which was called the FTS Offense.  (Feed the Studs)

Purdue hosts Minnesota, 12:30, NBC, this Saturday.

Lake Travis has a QB history:  Baker Mayfield, Garrett Gilbert, Charlie Brewer among them.

• Thumbs Up 1

I was really impressed with Michael Pratt from Tulane in the Cotton Bowl last year. I am not sure he'd be interested in transferring, but if Uncle Phil came knocking...just saying.

Oh, and he's already 1-0 versus the Trojans.

• Thumbs Up 1

I truly hope Tye is ready to take over next year and I do believe his growth was stunted by the Cristobal era. With that, I would not be upset to have someone brought in who has shown to be comfortable leading a team and has had success starting against quality competition. I also have to say careful what you wish for because for every Bo Nix and Vernon Adams, there is a Dakota Prukop. No offense intended toward him as he seems to have made a career for himself in CFL, but he was not what Oregon needed at the time.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/5/2023 at 7:49 PM, Buzby said:

I truly hope Tye is ready to take over next year and I do believe his growth was stunted by the Cristobal era. With that, I would not be upset to have someone brought in who has shown to be comfortable leading a team and has had success starting against quality competition. I also have to say careful what you wish for because for every Bo Nix and Vernon Adams, there is a Dakota Prukop. No offense intended toward him as he seems to have made a career for himself in CFL, but he was not what Oregon needed at the time.

Sure, but everyone thought Jeff Lockie could do the job after a good spring game.  Both current QBs or transfers can bomb out, so load the shelf?

Mr. FishDuck

On 11/5/2023 at 4:15 PM, AnotherOD said:

Gunner Stockton (Georgia)

Judging by name alone, Gunner wins.

naw, it made sense for us to get Bo at the time as a building block.  But, you have to develop QB's.  I rather take a lump or two starting Ty or whoever next year.   Its not a good look to QB recruits who may want to come here by dipping in the portal for successors constantly. 

Bo was needed at the time of transition.  Ty should be ready next year.  

Edited by Lrod
  • Thumbs Up 2