Desert Duck

Lanning: 'I’m Not Going Anywhere'

'I’m not going anywhere,' Lanning said. 'There’s zero chance I would be coaching somewhere else.'

This is very nice to read. Great to see him put this to rest so quickly.

WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

Dan Lanning has been listed as a potential candidate at the newly open position at Texas A&M. He shot down any possibility of him leaving UO on Monday,

• Go Ducks! 4
  • Applause 6
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Celebrate good times!

• Thumbs Up 1

I just watched the live feed on YouTube. Dan couldn't have said it better or more clearly. He's not going anywhere. Bless Dan Lanning.

Edited by Mic
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

I did not see it so I'm really glad to read your take.

It's one thing to read the words, but it's another thing entirely to see the body language, etc.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/13/2023 at 7:13 PM, Desert Duck said:

It's one thing to read the words, but it's another thing entirely to see the body language, etc.

It's up on YouTube for everyone to see.  The view starts about 4 minutes into the video when Dan comes out, makes his statement on how the game went down Saturday night and then takes the 1st question.  

He was ready for it and it took him < a minute to end all speculation.  I won't try to quote him because you're right, it's better to see him say it than to read what he said.  Dan is a man of passion and he brings it to the way he coaches and the way he speaks about the program.  The Duck program, I might add, under his leadership.  He knows what he's got here in Eugene and he wants to keep it.

Edited by Mic
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

He's about as unequivocal as a person can be. Time to put the worries to bed.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/13/2023 at 8:18 PM, Mic said:

It's up on YouTube for everyone to see.  

Just watched it. Wow... that was fantastic. Talk about killing any A&M talk. 

Well done, Dan. 

Great! Can we all now move on to talking about ASU?

• Great post! 2
  • Applause 2

Here is the video.  He's committed to Oregon!

• Thumbs Up 2

On 11/13/2023 at 7:50 PM, Desert Duck said:

Just watched it. Wow... that was fantastic. Talk about killing any A&M talk. 

Well done, Dan. 

In fairness ... We don't actually know how interested TAMU is in Lanning. It's all the media lists that Lanning is on that is creating the speculation. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I heard they want Sabin and are willing to pay 20 mil a year🤑 but maybe I heard wrong?🤐

I just want to say thank you to Dan, he could easily try to get a raise, but he has shown that he has a hell of a lot of integrity to just straight up say he's not leaving.  That is a lot more than most in this industry.

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

Nice 

And what may be getting overlooked a bit is that he pretty plainly said he's not chasing the money. Such a great attitude and role model. He's getting paid more money in a year then I'll see in a lifetime, and I'm moderately comfortable. He's one of the few that realizes that's enough and he doesn't have to chase the dollars just because somebody else is getting more. 

That said, he certainly deserves every penny he's being paid and more and I hope Oregon keeps up with a reasonable salary for him in comparison to the market. We want you at Oregon for a loooong tim, Dan 🙂

• Thumbs Up 3

On 11/13/2023 at 8:32 PM, spartan2785 said:

I just want to say thank you to Dan, he could easily try to get a raise, but he has shown that he has a hell of a lot of integrity to just straight up say he's not leaving.  That is a lot more than most in this industry.

Trust me - he has the raise. AND if he gets to the NCG he will get a whole lot more.

• Thumbs Up 1

Any wonder young men will run through walls for this guy?

I fully expect outstanding effort from his team this week!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/13/2023 at 8:39 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

Trust me - he has the raise. AND if he gets to the NCG he will get a whole lot more.

He might be, but it is still a breath of fresh air to see a coach just say that he is 100 percent not going anywhere while saying that he will have egg on his face if he straight up reverses course.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 11/13/2023 at 8:42 PM, spartan2785 said:

He might be, but it is still a breath of fresh air to see a coach just say that he is 100 percent not going anywhere while saying that he will have egg on his face if he straight up reverses course.

Except for Bama or Ga why would he leave here?

• Thumbs Up 1

AS he said himself, he has all the resources here to put together HIS program.

I was going to reply to the inevitable "panic thread" that emerged to say that Lanning wasn't going anywhere. IMHO it made no sense to uproot his family to go to College Station Texas, one of the armpits of the Lone Star state. I held off because it was late, I didn't want to wade through 80 some posts to ensure that I had anything worth saying...and thankfully Lanning ended the speculation quickly citing some of the very reasons I would have posted for staying in Eugene.

I told y'all when he was hired that you would love this guy and I see that I was right.

• Thumbs Up 7
  • Like 1

Men like this are rare. The response was thoughtful and thorough and precise. This was addressed quickly and for the most part, we can move on without much worry.

Untill A&M makes a hire not named Dan Lanning they are still a threat. But the odds of Dan being the guy has dropped to about .05%. That answer is about as good as we fans could have hoped for.

• Thumbs Up 3

Sounds like his wife told him......happy wife happy life......unhappy wife Good Gosh help you

Love this guy. Always did.

Right now our only concern, if we want to worry, is his growth as leader of the Oregon Football Program, end of story. That isn't a worry of mine.

Dan Lanning is Oregon Football and I am ok with that. I will take Dan Lanning and all his perceived mistakes, youthful exuberance, timely pontification, and scintillatingly bright future.

As I have said, he makes me feel like the proud grandfather, probably more like crazy uncle, to a burgeoning genius. I am tuned in, and loving every minute.

• Applause 2

On 11/14/2023 at 6:39 AM, fred flintstone said:

Sounds like his wife told him......happy wife happy life......unhappy wife Good Gosh help you

I don't buy that crap anymore...but then my home situation is changing which may have something to do with my change of attitude.  Let's just say that with my limited time left on earth--my objectives will not be centered around making a woman happy.

• Wow 1

Mr. FishDuck

I know we've heard coaches say they're not leaving before... But Lanning went above and beyond with his statement of saying he's not leaving. 

He has always come across as an honest guy and has always been open, about anything other than football practice that is, so I'd say he's not going anywhere and telling the truth. 

• Thumbs Up 1

And he did a masterful job of throwing shade at his predecessors.  

He clearly knew he was going to be asked and he thought about his answer in advance.  It was very telling that he let the question be asked as opposed to opening the presser by saying something like 'let me address the issue on everyone's mind ....'.  He very cleverly opened up talking about the game and then when the question came he took it head on.   

Very well done.

• Applause 1
  • Like 1

On 11/14/2023 at 7:49 AM, Augduck said:

He very cleverly opened up talking about the game and then when the question came he took it head on.

I absolutely agree.

And you could tell by his tone and facial expressions that he actually enjoyed delivering it. It didn't seem to be a point of stress for him. It was like he relished the opportunity to deliver that message.

IMO he couldn't have handled that any better than he did.

Good stuff.

• Great post! 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

It's time to put to bed the fear of Dan Lanning leaving Oregon any time soon

When Dan Lanning was introduced as the head coach of the Oregon Ducks on December 13th, 2021, Lanning spoke with the media for nearly 30 minutes of time. His opening statement was 11 minutes long as he covered a ton of ground.

What he ended that opening statement with nearly two years ago remains relevant today about how he feels about his position as head coach of the Oregon Ducks.

This is a good article...Our coach is different from ones in past

247SPORTS.COM

As Dan Lanning squashes any rumors about him leaving Oregon, it's time to put those fears to bed for good.

And how do you think the current team of coaches and players reacted to Dan's answer?

How do you think recruits and potential recruits are responding?

What Dan did was the single most impactful recruiting move that he could have possibly made. 

How relieved and focused is the present team going to be now that Dan just did everything that he could to put this thing to bed. 

If Dan would have talked to TAM just to get another raise, all the good mentioned above would immediately be put on hold, the entire team would lose focus over the worry, and recruits would be thrown into limbo.

So much better to step on that ugly bug!

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 11/14/2023 at 9:42 AM, Jon Sousa said:

What Dan did was the single most impactful recruiting move that he could have possibly made. 

That was my first thought as well.

I was confident Coach Lanning plans on staying in Eugene for years to come.

But, I'm glad he made that perfectly clear to EVERYONE nationwide.

A four year commitment is HUGE for a 17 year old kid and his family. This kind of loyalty will prove very fruitful. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I may be missing something, but at this point, is aTm a better program than OBD?   If it's the conference, I'd argue that B1G is just as good as SEC if not better.   Why would someone smart like Lanning even entertain this move?  Even MariNo wouldn't take it.  I don't think we have anything to worry about, until Alabama or Georgia comes knocking.

Edited by DuckFan93
  • Like 1

On 11/14/2023 at 1:20 PM, DuckFan93 said:

I may be missing something, but at this point, is aTm a better program than OBD?   If it's the conference, I'd argue that B1G is just as good as SEC if not better.   Why would someone smart like Lanning even entertain this move?  Even MariNo wouldn't take it.  I don't think we have anything to worry about, until Alabama or Georgia comes knocking.

It hasn't been a better program for a long time, now in terms of potential you could argue it still is, but even that is debatable at this point.

Running a program is like pushing a rock up a hill. At sc they think the rock just needs somebody to keep up and it is all downhill to the finish line.

At many programs, like Texas A&M, they have no idea how big the rock is or how high the hill is to get the program to the top.

With Miami they figure MariØ has been there so he knows how to get the program back to the peak. The problem with MariØ is he is just pushing the rock, with juice, around the base of the mountain, but making progress everyday.

At Oregon Lanning has a team working together as he knows how formidable the task it. He knows it won't be easy, but is enjoying the view as he ascends to heights we have never seen.

This is where I would argue Lanning is going places, up the hill often filled with failure, but ultimately to the top.

On 11/13/2023 at 8:30 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

I heard they want Sabin and are willing to pay 20 mil a year🤑 but maybe I heard wrong?🤐

Best not mess with Nick Saban - could start another civil war - this time 'twixt Alabama and Texas

Edited by Mic

'I feel lucky to be coached by him;' UO players love Lanning's candid approach to Texas A&M rumors

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Oregon Duck players appreciate the straightforward way in which Dan Lanning addressed the coaching rumors about Texas A&M...

• Applause 1
  • Like 1

On 11/15/2023 at 9:26 AM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

'I feel lucky to be coached by him;' UO players love Lanning's candid approach to Texas A&M rumors

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Oregon Duck players appreciate the straightforward way in which Dan Lanning addressed the coaching rumors about Texas A&M...

It's nice to hear the players express their gratitude for the way Dan Lanning handled the issue.  You just know this is going to make them want to play even harder for him - if that's even possible.  Talent: check.  Coaching: check.  Scheming: check.  Passion for the team: Double check.

Equally impressive was the simple post on 'X' of Sauphia Lanning... Herself and the three boys, on the sideline, dressed in green/yellow, with a giant, 'GO DUCKS', spelled out in the grandstand behind them.