DrJacksPlaidPants

Will Stein: How Much Longer in Eugene?

With all of the anticipated movement this year it looks like some G5 jobs could be coming open. Jimbo is gone and it looks like Dave Aranda is standing by to be fired by Baylor, so that leaves two possible openings for Jeff Traylor from UTSA.

My guess is UTSA might look at someone who is familiar with their program and who also is killing it on the coaching front. This is where Stein comes in. He’s young, but that’s where programs have been trending lately. 

There will be plenty of more jobs as well if Chadwell and Fritz move up from Liberty and Tulane. It would suck to lose Stein, but his resume is playing out on the national stage, so he will get scooped up sooner or later. Maybe this year. I’m sure he’ll get a raise, but that might not be enough to keep him from a head coaching job.

• Thumbs Up 1

These questions could be asked about all the coaches. Someone might get an offer and leave, it's a great staff. This includes Lanning regardless of what he said the other day. Lanning was never offered aTm job, pretty easy to say what he said when no offer was extended.

The minute he gets a better offer.

Stein doesn't make Oregon-Oregon makes Stein

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 2

Assistant coaches frequently leave great programs. Great coaches like Saban and Smart coach through the loss of valuable assistants. 

Next Man Up! Next Coach Up!

Dilly left for his dream P5/P4 job. Not so certain that Stein has a desire to go to the G5 when he has a chance to showcase what he can do in the B1G and show what he can do with a QB without Bo's experience.

Stein is making $800K plus bonuses per annum. How much money is any G5 program willing and able to come up with?

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Oh, not this again....

• Haha 1
  • Mic drop 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Realistically... He needs probably 2-3 more years before he's probably considered for a head coaching job. 

Now I say this and I'll probably be outright wrong. 

But I think he needs to continue to mature. He's grown a lot while being at Oregon but I don't think he's ready to be a head coach. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Good topic, as yours-truly has a FishDuck article coming out tomorrow morning about Stein that will give you something to ponder!

Mr. FishDuck

Should Stein leave O for a new position anywhere (HC or not) I'd have to say maybe Oregon should put a clause in the contracts for everyone they hire to STAY PUT thru the length of their initial contract or NO money for the remaining years on the contract.  Do you think coaches would be afraid to sign on?

• Yikes! 1

On 11/16/2023 at 5:42 PM, David Marsh said:

I don't think he's ready to be a head coach. 

I agree with you David. Not ready. He is on the rise, and will have his pick of programs if he waits for the right fit.

Mr. FishDuck

He needs to stay for three to four years.

On 11/16/2023 at 5:46 PM, Mic said:

Do you think coaches would be afraid to sign on?

Good grief.

Yes!

What a great way to discourage great coaches from joining us!

I’d rather have three one-year STARS, than a dud for three years.

Whew!

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

On 11/16/2023 at 5:51 PM, Charles Fischer said:

What a great way to discourage great coaches from joining us!

I respectfully disagree, (tho I know the clause I spoke of is unrealistic).  This 'revolving door coaches' thing can't be good in the long run, can it?  I mean, we got lucky with Will Stein but if every coach who comes here goes elsewhere after one year we'll be doing this for the foreseeable future.

That said, I think it unlikely Will Stein will leave after just one year.  He's pretty young and still learning the craft and is sitting on a Gold Mine right now.  But, the idea was advanced and I was responding with my thoughts that somehow Oregon has to be able to land and hold on to these good coaches they're getting.

What happened to enjoy the moment? That had a short life expectancy.

I would rather have consistency! 

Do you actually think Stein is a dud?

Dilly is (a tiny bit) younger than Stein, and Dilly is obviously “ready” for an HC job after one year with OBD.

If Stein gets an HC job next year, more power to him.

I trust DL to evaluate and attract excellent coaches.

• Thumbs Up 1

You asked for feedback and you got it.

What do you think Nick Saban deals with every year? It is the biggest revolving door of coaches ever, and he survives and prospers.

Thank goodness Lanning knows better than the fans…

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Well, so many of us have viewed offers as the opportunity of a lifetime. Most didnt pan out..

Life is a journey with many turns as we reach different destinations. Achievers can use excitement and rntusiasm to cloud common sense and caution.

Some darn good comments as part of an annual conversation we have and will have as the season winds down.

At this point, as others text, a G5 HC position is a step down for Stein. Stay with. DL and the Ducks, destroy BIG defenses in 2024 and 2025. Build your resume so AD's and boosters at other schools mention your name to head up their program.

A 3 year G5 deal might pay a total of $5 million. Fail and you are potentially marked and back as an OC in a hungry P5 school.

Put 40 plus games on that resume, learn from DL how to be a HC and you probably get $5 million plus each season.

Play your cards right, produce at a high level and that contact/buy out and you are financially set.

Food for thought......

• Great post! 1

All depends on what Stein or any other assistant wants.

How long was DL at Georgia? He wasn't offered any other jobs before Oregon came along???

Did DL wait for a better job, or did he jump at the first one that came along?

WS should get offered a HC job this year, probably G5. Is that what he wants to do?  or does he prove that he belongs at a Power 5 school and stay for 2 or 3 more years?

Dillingham was offered his dream job after one year at Oregon, but ASU was a total dumpster fire looking at severe NCAA sanctions. Who would want to go there? How about a guy that is a brilliant football mind who would love to coach at ASU?  Win-Win. I don't know that anyone would expect Dilly to have the Sun Devils as far along as he has them at this point.

So, where is the place that needs a WS type of guy... that WS would LOVE to go and coach???

...and we are back where I started: All depends on what Stein wants.

• Great post! 1

On 11/16/2023 at 6:00 PM, Log Haulin said:

What happened to enjoy the moment? That had a short like expectancy.

Yep!

I would put the Eeyore image in, but I am on my phone at the coast for a few days celebrating my divorce.

• Yikes! 1
  • Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 11/16/2023 at 6:02 PM, 51smackdown said:

I would rather have consistency! 

Do you actually think Stein is a dud?

You misunderstand. I would rather have three of the 1 year Will Steins, than a dud OC, for three years.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 11/16/2023 at 6:06 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Yep!

I would put the Eeyore image in, but I am on my phone at the coast for a few days celebrating my divorce.

Have a great time. Worth a celebration for sure.

ju1np.jpg.f196e0cc3770a523fbb46234fe5c5d92.jpg

• Oh no! 1
  • Mic drop 1

Can we have a HC, OC, DC last longer than 4 years around here?  Shheesh....

• Go Ducks! 1

Whenever something happens Lanning says good! Doesn't matter if it is good or bad. He will look at it as an opportunity to grow. I am not worried, just enjoying the ride.

Now if he takes a job before the season ends and gets distracted, I won't be too happy. That is where the whole losing a good coach sucks.

Dan Lanning is about the only coach who left a program the right way. I there anything Lanning doesn't do well?

• Great post! 1

Charles advises us to enjoy the moment.  So that's what I'm gonna do.  Besides, there's nothing we as fans can do to change anything of importance that happens at the University.  Dan's staying on as coach.  That he made abundantly clear Monday.  Life's good.

Go Oregon - Beat ASU.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Do you remember when a contract was a contract and enforceable. . . neither do I.

Nowadays, they are only enforceable if you suck.

I think the Ducks could build a championship program if everyone just stays put for a while - shoot, maybe this year.  What a life experience to win a national championship and how much more could you earn with a title on your resume?  After Nick Saban and Kirby Smart, who aren't going anywhere, is there another program out there with a higher ceiling than Oregon under Lanning right now?

Very few are willing to wait.  Right now, Stein's stock is soaring with the most productive offense in college football.  Why take the risk of waiting and learning that success was based on you, the program or the QB?

What a gift we had in Eugene with coaching continuity until Chip Kelly left.  Who knows if it was going to ever be enough to win a championship, but everyone seemed proven and content.

Edited by mikethehiker
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm probably going to say something on here that will alert the moderators. If I do I apologize in advance and will take my punishment accordingly. I am not trying to purposely offend anyone or intentionally break any rules. Now that I have said that, on to my point. I think a lot of us forget the real takeaway from the Mark Helfrich era. Oregon couldn't recruit, or develop players at a championship level. Our brand was going international, but the football program had a glass ceiling on it for recruiting.

As much as I hate to admit it, Willie Taggert blew through that glass ceiling. He understood that the brand was nationwide and went after recruits no other Oregon coach before him would have dreamed of landing, Chip included. Now that was about the only thing he did that was of some use to the university. Coach Lanning understands the mass appeal of the brand and he is a relentless recruiter, as well as being an awesome teacher of the game of football. 

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I think his most critical hires to date are Marshall Malchow, Wilson Love, and Jawarski Beckum. These hires are why he is able to implement his overall vision for the "progrum". As fans we still might have a bit of PTSD from the previous staffs. We need to implement the same growth mindset that coach is always talking about and judge them by what they do, and not by what former staffs did. Oh how I love to share ideas about our beloved DUCKS!!!

Edited by Gizmoduck
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

The coaching carousel is a result of success on the field and the perceived status + $$$ of the jump. Add in the home boy/native son component and the deep pockets and desperation of the pilfering program.

If Oregon doesn't have a decent bounce back season and improved recruiting under Taggart, he doesn't leave for FSU (dream job, where he rises to his own level of incompetence).

Ditto for Cristobal after a RB victory followed by a couple ok seasons then a dream job offer (competence level TBD). 

Dilly jumped due to the home boy effect, P5 HC gig, money and the fact that he would be given a cushion of time to resuscitate the dumpster fire left by Edwards and the recently departed ASU AD.

Sure Stein, and for that matter Tuioti, Martin, Adams, Terry, etc, will all get offers in the future. What has impressed me about this year is how smoothly the new assistants have fit the DL culture, improved their position groups, excelled at recruiting and put the Ducks in the CFP conversation. 

The more important point is that each new hire last year was a success. DL knows from his time at Alabama and Georgia that success breeds coaching change, it is inevitable and that it is the culture that matters. I'm not saying you can just plug and play new coaches. But if they fit the culture and the system and are good at what they do, they will want to coach at Oregon. 

Stein seamlessly adopted Dilly's basic offense and has molded it to his vision and Bo's strengths. But it is all within DL's framework. Although Lanning is a defense guy, the offense is not left on an island. Contrast that with what is happening at U$C with their defense under 'great offensive mind' Lincoln Riley. 

Coaches will come and go. Like with great players graduating or going on to the NFL, the best programs reload as opposed to rebuild. So far DL has been able to reload when it comes to quality assistants and I anticipate that will continue to be the case.

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1