FishDuck Article

Will ASU Destroy Oregon’s Playoff Hopes AGAIN?

You remember. While our Rose Bowl victory over Wisconsin was sweet–we should have been in the Playoff that year. We lost 31-28 to a 5-5 (at that time) Arizona State team…in a game that should not have happened. Stuff like that occurred with the prior coach, and even if the opponent has great players...

FISHDUCK.COM

You remember. While our Rose Bowl victory over Wisconsin was sweet–we should have been in the Playoff that year. We lost 31-28 to a 5-5 (at...

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

IMHO: Prepared, yes. Worried, no.

The narrative before the Utah game centered on how badly they beat the Ducks two years ago in SLC, then the Pac-12 CG, and how the Utes don't lose at home. History doesn't seem to count as much with this Oregon team and specifically the defense. 

There is nothing magical about Tempe. I lived in Tucson for five years and can personally attest to that. Oregon should dispatch Sparky by at least three touchdowns if the Ducks play anywhere near potential and limit penalties, on both sides of the ball. 

Oregon has the advantage at essentially every position, skill and otherwise, and better team speed. And that is against a healthy Sun Devil team, which they currently are not. Multiple inside zone runs don't work against ASU (as Chip and UCLA found out), but nearly everything else does. The Ducks just need to execute the offense, let Bo be Bo, play solid defense and not do stupid things.

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Charles is there reason to be concerned? They play the games for a reason........and anything can happen!

On paper and by every metric the Ducks should win this game and cover the spread.

This is as complete a team the Ducks have had in, well as long as I can remember.  Offensive fire power off the charts! Hungry, nasty, mean spirited defense with depth.

Most of the Ducks number 2's would be starters for ASU......TT should even have a few TD passes and run for a score today....

However, as you mentioned there is something in that desert air and Dilly has his squad overachieving.

Throw in the notice me #/@%&?, game changing, momentum killing PAC 12 refs and well, who knows.

Thankfully its not a PAC after dark game on espn..........

If the Ducks play focused, minimize penalties and turnovers they should be home for a late supper. With smiles on their faces after a drubbing of ASU.

Then begin prepping for the CW!

One thing is for certain, when this old man makes a few potty trips in the middle of the night, DL, his staff and Bo will be focused and prepping for the Beavers.

It's the same focus and prep that will allow the Ducks to have a big win in the desert this afternoon.

Go Ducks! Beat ASU....

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Always cause for concern, but the biggest difference this year is we don't have a coaching staff that plays down to the competition. 

Go Ducks!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

I love ya Fish.......but you need to step back from the computer screen and wash your hands from your frequent visits to the Cheetos Bowl. Lol

Mari⁰ was too involved with that offense. ASU at least was a 'Team'. Now?

ASU is hanging on by a thread but is not bare when it comes to heart. However, Oregon has never had a defense like this. Ever. And they are getting stronger. Oregons offense is 1st in the country, not NW, not Conference, but the entire country. Heisman worthy QB runs the ship and a nationally prominent offensive line guards the Cap'n.

I rest reeeeeaaaaal easy with this game. Its the next 2 that have my attention. They are going to be a dog fight!

Duck On!!!! Now, where's my Cheeto Bowl?

• Thumbs Up 2

Chuck  knows how you feel Chuck. Lucy be like ASU. AAUGH!!!

19651017Football.png.9dce03273d44a9939cf1a594ca314f53.png

• Mic drop 1

The positive impact of that loss in 2019 is that it allowed guys who suffered through the 2016 season to end their careers on a high note. Losing by 5 TD’s to LSU wouldn’t have been as fun as winning the Rose Bowl

Since the new millennium began, Oregon is 8-3 with a 73% winning record in games played @ Arizona State.

Yes, we've had some tough losses down here, but the actual record shows that over nearly the last quarter century, generally speaking, we've performed quite well @ ASU.

I don't remotely care what ASU did last week to UCLA in Pasadena. If Oregon shows up this afternoon, which they will, ASU is quickly going to get smacked hard, and we will win this game running away by around 25 points.

• Thumbs Up 1

Chuck: " In 2019, the offense was stuck with a plunging, plodding Pistol approach..." 

Lisa, aloud: "OH MY GOSH PTSD" (absolutely hated how that staff & lack of receiver development underutilized Herbie). 

Enjoyed the article about Will Stein and loving this offense (& defense, although the injuries are concerning), I'll look to the scoreboard for relief after the game to confirm the ghosts of the past are officially exorcised from Duck nightmares! Let's Go Ducks! 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

To paraphrase the all-knowing omnificent Alfred E. Newman, What me worry, HELL NO. 

I'm glad Dilly showed part of his hand last week against the bruins with his "2pt offense".

He did indicate in one interview the he was some other tricks up his sleeve, but I don't think those will much matter against these Ducks.

The weather shouldn't be any excuse, today... it's supposed to get all the way up into the 70's, with a chance of showers.

I've attended a few games down there where the temperature has been closer to 105.

The Ducks need focus and determination.

Certainly, they have the skill and talent, but need desperately to avoid shooting themselves in the foot (or anyplace else, for that matter!).

Go DUCKS!

On 11/18/2023 at 6:04 AM, Desert Duck said:

Since the new millennium began, Oregon is 8-3 with a 73% winning record in games played @ Arizona State.

I read somewhere that Oregon is 0-6 at ASU in November. 

This is the type of game that past Oregon teams with BCS/playoff aspirations has lost. I hope the Men of Oregon come out and play a clean game from start to finish. 

Great use of his body on that catch buy Troy.

Looks good so far! Pat erasing the Herbert AZ curse! Troy with the catch of the day!

Anybody need breakfast? I’ve got plenty of egg on my face that I can share…

• Haha 1

Mr. FishDuck

Not on Dan Lanning’s watch with Stein and Lupoi directing the charges.

6 TD’s by halftime? The D pitching a shutout!

How about NOOOOOO! ASU was out of its element. 

But AZ with a beatdown of Utah, did ding Oregon's PO chances. 

The Ducks 1 top-25 win will go bye-bye on Tuesday.

WSU buried CU. TX Tech is in a fistfight with UCF. OK held on without Dillon Gabriel on the field in the 2dn half at BYU.

Puddles needs OK ST to close out the win at Houston. And hopefully, Iowa State will upset Texas tonight in chilly conditions.

Both UGA and Ohio State won easily. Michigan, not so much, but this was a sandwich game at Maryland with the HC having a sandwich in the team hotel.

Please UW, do not take the L in Corvallis. Oregon, is in danger of losing the 6 spot, notwithstanding the beatdown of ASU. UW loses and with the AZ win I have doubts that Oregon will stay ahead of Bama and Texas if the Horns win tonight. The Ducks need to play a #5 or higher-ranked UW in LV, 

Louisville today with its 38-31 win at Miami is in the ACC champ game versus FSU and if Louisville holds serve at home vs. Kentucky will be ranked in the top 10.

UGA was impressive today against a way overrated Tennessee. 12-1 UGA and 12-1 conference champ Bama will likely be in the PO unless Bama blows out UGA. So, Go Dawgs, Right, and Left Coast species both.

With UCLA's impressive win over USC, Oregon's already weak SOS has taken a lot of hits.

At my age, I am in no hurry to see time go by but PO-wise, I wish it was 2024.

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 11/18/2023 at 10:03 AM, OregonDucks said:

I read somewhere that Oregon is 0-6 at ASU in November. 

In the new millennium, @ Arizona State, we have lost once in September, once in October, and once in November.

As far as playoffs are concerned, FSU will have to win the rest of their games with the backup quarterback. However, next week’s game is against Florida who also lost Graham Mertz for the year. I hope Louisville shows up for the ACC championship game. 

• Thumbs Up 1