HDuck

Ducks Must Beat Beavs for Pac Championship Game Participation

Yes. And it won't be easy.  This will probably be a Civil War for the Ages.  

• Thumbs Up 1

I really do not understand the rules as Oregon would have a better record if they tied Az.

The tie breakers for the PAC-12 championship game are so lame. They should just take the two highest rated teams. 

On 11/18/2023 at 9:00 PM, Mic said:

Beavs are leaving Autzen chip toothed instead of buck toothed after Ducks punch them in the mouth. Ducks are the best team in the country and in about 6 weeks they will prove it. Beavs don't stand a chance

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

"I do not understand the rules...."

A tie is created if both teams have the same conference record, such as 7-2.  The rules then involve conference action before any overall W-L record is considered.

For example, in this case, if UO and UA were tied, and since they didn't play each other, the first tiebreaker is their W-L against the next team in the standings.  In this case, UA has beaten OSU, and the Ducks (if in a tie) would have lost.  UA would get the nod.

That is why Ducks need to beat OS, or UA needs to lose to ASU.

If there were a different scenario where that doesn't resolve it, there are other rules about W-L against all common opponents, strength of schedule in conference games, before it ever gets to consideration of non-conference record.

• Thanks 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Why talk scenarios?  Scenarios are meaningless if the Ducks don't beat the Beavs plain and simple.  The PAC 12 championship would be meaningless to the Ducks overall goal at that point.  Just go out and beat the Beavs and move on!!

Edited by candyduck
  • Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Can we just get an amen that we’re not doing divisions anymore?!

As I mentioned in a previous thread, it would be UW vs AZ in the champ, and OBD would be SOL.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 11/18/2023 at 10:29 PM, Log Haulin said:

Beavs don't stand a chance

There's no question that the Ducks should take down the RiverRats. 

But they certainly stand a chance. 

• Thumbs Up 3

The whole conference championship formula doesn't matter. The goal is to get to the playoffs, and win it all, so we lose to the beavs, and the season blows up.

This game is huge, I mean gargantuan, I can't emphasize enough this game is immense, prodigious!

Each game going forward is just gets bigger too!

Each game is a test, and since the dawg game the Ducks haven't disappointed.

I also like they played Bo into the second half. This team isn't playing afraid of anything, just executing a plan, and so far it is working. Let's go and cook some tail!

3b beaver tail.JPG

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 11/19/2023 at 6:51 AM, Desert Duck said:

Right... quite often sports fans use hyperbolic statements as part of the fan experience. Out of it has been born the art of trash talk. Other descriptors of this type of rhetoric is sh!+ talking, talking smack, and throwing shade.

Its actually great fun as one can get very creative with these hyperbolic statements. It has always been a part of the sports experience. 

There are entire FishDuck threads that uses this type of rhetoric to throw shade at teams like USuC, Fusky and Beavus. 

When I comment that Ducks are going to punch Beavs in the mouth it is not a literal statement. Of course the Beavs stand a chance. They are a good football team. 

Side note: i have never been able to eat a whole horse and I have all my arms and legs.

• Haha 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Like 2

It's interesting that the elimination of divisions has hurt UW. Last year, they would have played USC in the championship game instead of Utah. This year, they would be playing Arizona instead of the Ducks (if we beat OSU). I opposed doing away with divisions (still do), especially since the schedules were established with the divisions in mind. At the same time, it makes me kind of happy to see the Huskies get hosed.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/19/2023 at 8:36 AM, Log Haulin said:

Side note: i have never been able to eat a whole horse and I have all my arms and legs.

Oddly, and in the realm of 'It's a small world,' I just consumed and entire horse last week.

But thanks for clarifying things for me... because especially when I don't know somebody, I find it hard to hear their tone sometimes by reading what they've written. 

But the bottom line for me is that this Saturday, the Ducks are going to kill the Beavers, then gut them, and roast them over an open spit in the parking lot (and just case, allow me to clarify that this last statement, along with my first one, is hyperbole).

😁

• Like 1

On 11/19/2023 at 6:34 AM, candyduck said:

The PAC 12 championship would be meaningless to the Ducks overall goal at that point. 

I disagree.

The team’s first objective should always be to win a conference championship, followed by making the playoffs and finally winning a national championship. 

Winning the conference championship should never be considered meaningless and would be a huge accomplishment for the players, particularly Bo Nix who has never won a college conference championship.

GO DUCKS!!!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 2

Good. No backing into being rewarded.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/19/2023 at 6:51 AM, Desert Duck said:

Of course they stand a chance. And I hope our players acknowledge that as well. The last thing we want is over-confidence heading into a game with such massive consequences.

I always love it when (the game formerly known as) the Civil War has post season implications!

However, nothing really changes for OBD, win out, we are in.  While Beavus certainly presents a challenge, the best team should win, and right now the best team is OBD.

OSU is a good (and dangerous) team that should not be taken lightly.  I don’t believe for an instant that DL, the staff, or Bo & Co. will take them anything other than seriously.

A well thought out game plan with good execution should put us in Vegas where we rain down sweet revenge on  the cursed puppies from the north.

GO DUCKS!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 11/19/2023 at 11:00 AM, PittDuck said:

I always love it when (the game formerly known as) the Civil War

I'm not sure if I know anyone who still doesn't refer to the Civil War game, as the Civil War game.

Sometimes, as hard as 'they' try, they're just not going to make a ridiculous change attempt stick.

On 11/19/2023 at 7:36 AM, Log Haulin said:

Right... quite often sports fans use hyperbolic statements as part of the fan experience. Out of it has been born the art of trash talk. Other descriptors of this type of rhetoric is sh!+ talking, talking smack, and throwing shade.

Its actually great fun as one can get very creative with these hyperbolic statements. It has always been a part of the sports experience. 

Exactly.  Like when I use the phrase "one for the Ages."  Except this one just might be.  

At this point no one knows if there'll be another Civil War game, tho I expect the two schools will want to try and keep the tradition alive. I sure hope so!

On 11/19/2023 at 10:07 AM, Desert Duck said:

I'm not sure if I know anyone who still doesn't refer to the Civil War game, as the Civil War game.

Sometimes, as hard as 'they' try, they're just not going to make a ridiculous change attempt stick.

I think the pc tag "rivalry' will fade away.  Like all other bad ideas.  It'll just take a little time.

• Thumbs Up 1

I am certain that this awesome Forum will be filled with Cival War football stories this week....

Rivalry week is such a special week for college football fans. No matter the teams season records the CW has had some epic battles.

From 2000 thru 2009 the teams went 5-5 against each other. The Erickson years were special for Beaver fans. Jonathon Smith was a big part of some of those Beaver wins.

I remember listening to Joey Harrington talk about how the Beavers spoiled a Rose Bowl trip for his Ducks. The Ducks were heavy favorites and simply lost.

Anything and everything can happen in this matchup ..   

From 2010 thru 2019 the Ducks dominated 9-1 and made 2 Natty's. The Ducks fielded some special teams in that era. This years version may prove to be very special, too!

Beavers win at home in 2020

Ducks win ar home in 2021

Beavers win at home in 2022 after an epic last 20 minute collapse on both sides of the ball. And some HC rookie mistakes by DL.....

2023?

The outcome of this game will depend on the Duck D. JS and staff made tremendous half time adjustments against the huskies. Until the husky defense made a 4th down stop with a little over 2 minutes left in the game, Penix and company were on the field for only 6 minutes.....

Beavus shut out Penix in the 2nd half. The Beaver O kept the Husky O on the sidelines. Cant score points if you are watching the game as the Beavers played ball control

One Beaver scoring drive was just shy of 10 minutes. Damn!

The Duck D needs to make stops and get Bo and the outstanding offense the ball.

The Beavers are a good football team and they will leave it all on the field.

However, the Ducks are a better, more complete team with depth. The only way the Beavers can win is to limit Bo's opportunities. The Duck D must make sure that doesn't happen.

Go Ducks! Open that can of whup arse on Beavus........

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Yesterday, I was surprised to hear our game announcers refer to our next game as the Civil War and they said it several times. I for one am OK with this game being now and forever the "Civil War". GO DUCKS!

• Thumbs Up 1

What I remember of the Civil War games, going back many, many years, is that the Beavers could be lousy - and still give the Ducks fits.  This year the Beavers are far from lousy.  This year the Beavers were almost good enough to hand 11-0 Washington their 1st loss.  But this is Dan's 2nd go-round at the Beavers and I think he's got a plan.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/18/2023 at 9:00 PM, Mic said:

I don't know... The Ducks have been making it look easy (minus penalties).   The last game I can remember being nervous watching was Texas Tech haha.   I'm halfway confident that they will roll the beavs in the same fashion as they rolled Utah or ASU.    This is the year. 

On 11/19/2023 at 10:46 AM, Santa Rosa Duck said:

Yesterday, I was surprised to hear our game announcers refer to our next game as the Civil War and they said it several times. I for one am OK with this game being now and forever the "Civil War". GO DUCKS!

I think just about all of us are.  

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Hand grenades and horseshoes... And even the, almost can come up short.

Execute, focus, and survive!

Civil War = Oregonians fighting Oregonians.

The Beavs just were in a mutt fight and should be ripe for the picking agains a well rested Ducks team at home.

The Ducks have better fans better players and maybe the best college QB since Burrows.

The Ducks will win this game big. If they don’t then it wasn’t met to be.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/19/2023 at 12:29 AM, Log Haulin said:

Ducks are the best team in the country

squint-maybe.gif

Edited by amcdawg
  • Haha 2
  • Applause 1