Charles Fischer

The Most Nervous EVER? This is the WORST Week...

On 11/30/2023 at 8:57 AM, Ben H said:

I look at it this way.  Would I be more stressed and nervous today if I were a Duck fan or Husky fan.  Although Huskies fans would probably never admit it, I would much rather be in the Ducks position with this team than the Huskies and their team.  For that reason, I am actually more calm this week than I was for Utah, USC and OSU.  Anything can happen in football and there are no guarantees but I actually think this one might play out like Utah.  Bo Nix is a winner and just a great person.  Rooting for him to finish this dream season with both the Heisman and the CFP.  Leaders lead and he is a winner and a leader.   I honestly believe this is the best, most well-rounded Duck team in all my 60 years of following them and rooting for them.   

This is exactly how I feel. I have been distracted this week with moving into a new house. But I too feel that the mutt fans have to be totally stressed out, especially with the shade they have thrown at the Ducks and fans based on a narrow escape at home. The victory that they tout is one I would have left the stadium, as one of their fans, with my head tucked into my trench coat and looking nervously around each shoulder. Hoping that no one was trying to call me back and explain that the game was infact won by the Ducks.

I feel very confident and I can not see how a fuskie fan could have any feeling like that. Especially after the play of each team after that game.

If by chance we don’t come out on top, I will be disappointed, but not crushed. This team is just the foundation of a long future of sucess. Although I so want to finish this season as the lifetime reigning Pac-12 Champions, I’m just as excited at taking the B1G by storm and knowing that they are already wondering what they have done by allowing us to crash their party.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Since I am sadistic to my feelings, I like reading the opponents blogs, message boards, etc. to see how they feel about us. I found this write up very interesting:

"From a personnel and scheme perspective, not much has changed. In Oregon’s first five FBS games of the season, including the UW game, they averaged 42 points per game, and oddly enough have averaged exactly 42 points per game in their six matchups since then. This has been against a harder schedule, however - the likes of Hawaii, Stanford, and Colorado have been replaced with teams like Utah and Oregon State. In those six games, Oregon has had margins of victory of 14, 29, 44, 9, 36 and 24 points.

The Huskies also beat those same six teams (WSU, Utah, Cal, USC, ASU, OSU), but managed a double-digit victory in just two of them. Oregon is simply eviscerating their competition." (emphasis mine)

Their polling is very interesting as well:

image.png

• Like 1

No idea why y'all are so nervous about this game. 

The only thing on the line is a trip to the college football playoffs, a shot at the National Championship, and some ol' trophy that they call the Heisman. 

Just another average, run of the mill, Friday night. 

• Haha 4
  • Applause 1

On 11/30/2023 at 8:21 AM, Fathertime said:

Does anyone know if there are going to be any pregame festivities?

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say yes. 

I will admit I am a little nervous about this game but are we not all nervous for any game? (except Hawaii & PSU)  I got even more nervous after I rewatched the UW/UO game last night.

We did not look really good at times, especially in the first half.  was it UW defense? It seemed at times that they knew the play we were running and stuffed it.

The one thing I did notice, that even before we started hitting Penix (we hardly touched him in the first half) that if guys got close to him he usually made a bad throw.

They put up a stat that at one time he was 0-4 when pressured in the first half.  

This tells me the key to the game is to put pressure on him.  If this happens we win and maybe by 2+ scores.

• Go Ducks! 1

On 11/30/2023 at 8:43 AM, ABNMoose said:

The Huskies also beat those same six teams (WSU, Utah, Cal, USC, ASU, OSU), but managed a double-digit victory in just two of

them. Oregon is simply eviscerating their competition." (emphasis mine)

Their polling is very interesting as well:

Glancing at the Fusky sites this week has been educational, particularly if you read between the lines a bit. I saw the poll that ABNMoose cited on how many points Fusky Fan thinks Oregon will score tomorrow. 78% thought it would be at least 29, 37% thought 36 or more and 10% at least 43 points

In the six games since Oct 14, UW has averaged 32 pts/game. Oregon has averaged 42 against essentially the same competition and had higher margins of victory because of how well the defense is playing. Given the tendency to minimize the prowess of the opponent in any rabid fan base, an admission by Fusky Fan that the Ducks could score more than the mutts average is telling.

I get the distinct impression from their fan sites that they are bravely spouting the party line of a UW victory, but are privately conceding that the numbers don't support it.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 11/30/2023 at 3:12 AM, Flyin Vee said:

“To say Oregon is not the best team in the country, there would be some people to fight you on that… I would not bet against Oregon.”

Urban Myers on3 quote

For me, it would depend on who they are playing. Plus Urban has proven to be a mediocre prognosticator in big games, barely better than Corso. 

That being said, if my Athens Dawgs don't win the title again, Ducks, keep me engaged and bring home that trophy!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/30/2023 at 7:51 AM, Mudslide said:

Why, o why did I give up alcohol?!

Quitter!

• Haha 1

On 11/30/2023 at 4:01 AM, NJDuck said:

Go Ducks, Fly High!!

oregon-ducks-flying-v.jpg

Cool - looks like our friends in Taiwan are into the Ducks too! LOL

I have been nervous too, because of OBD's history of often choking on huge games like this and the stake on this game can't be higher.    But I think Lanning is much better at motivating players and getting them ready.   Fingers crossed!

• Thumbs Up 1

I think one thing that is not being talked about is the fact that UW and UO have essentially played the same teams, yet OBD can roll 2 and 3 deep without much drop off in terms of talent/effectiveness. UW boards are talking about how beat up they are, how the "gauntlet" has worn them out. 

OBD has been punishing other teams, yet our lines are healthy, our players are fired up, the team is overall the same personnel as the beginning of the year. Something is vastly different between the two teams, and it goes much deeper than the head coach, and the QBs. 

• Applause 1
  • Like 1

I try not to use my Popeil Pocket Fisherman/Time Machine™ too often, as it's getting rickety, but I've had it with the waiting. I'm strapping in now and setting the controls for 9:00 pm Friday night. I'll report back in a bit...

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/30/2023 at 10:42 AM, EastBayDuckDad said:

UW has averaged 32 pts/game. Oregon has averaged 42 against essentially the same competition...

Which is funny to me because 42-32 is my score prediction for the game tomorrow night. 

• Haha 1

On 11/30/2023 at 10:29 AM, Nevada Dawg said:

For me, it would depend on who they are playing. Plus Urban has proven to be a mediocre prognosticator in big games, barely better than Corso. 

That being said, if my Athens Dawgs don't win the title again, Ducks, keep me engaged and bring home that trophy!

Your Athens Dawgs need to win, can't have Bama knocking the Ducks out if Ducks win. I want a rematch with GA badly. 

Ducks are built to hang with UGA. Apple don't fall far from the tree.

• Like 1

OK, for you nervous nellies, there's this: In 9 seasons as a head coach Kalen DeBoer has lost a total of just 11 games.  He's 102-11 and 23-2 as the coach at UW.  No one has beaten this man very often.

Here's to 102-12.

Chip Kelly was 46 and 7 at Oregon--where is he at now?

Edited by 1Ducker1

Pucker factor: I farted and only the dog next door could hear it.

• Haha 3
  • Mic drop 2

On 11/29/2023 at 5:16 PM, idontrollonshobbas said:

I am on double colon-clench lockdown this week.  

If I were to use a Kingsford charcoal briquet as a suppository, by Friday's kickoff, it would be a diamond.

We're talking pressure on a geologic scale.

Idontroll, got any spare Kingsford?

I was doing OK until this morning but now I'm thinking I could flatulize fountains of flawless faceted fractal floes.

Might as well do something constructive while I wait for kickoff.

The Ducks need to cut gems, and let the fuskies scatter shards of shattered dreams like confetti in the moonlight.

Basically by myself in the office today and finding it REALLY hard to concentrate on work. I vacillate (okay, randomly bounce erratically) between confidence that the Ducks have this in the bag and the Fuskies always find a way to win even when out played. Going to be an exciting game, and either way, what a season for the Ducks!! Yell O!!

On 12/1/2023 at 1:00 PM, EastBayDuckDad said:

Idontroll, got any spare Kingsford?

I was doing OK until this morning but now I'm thinking I could flatulize fountains of flawless faceted fractal floes.

Might as well do something constructive while I wait for kickoff.

I cleared the shelves at Bi-Mart....but, I could conveniently courier a couple of combustible carbon cubes Chez Vous compadre! 

Edited by idontrollonshobbas
typo
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 11/30/2023 at 12:42 PM, EastBayDuckDad said:

Glancing at the Fusky sites this week has been educational, particularly if you read between the lines a bit. I saw the poll that ABNMoose cited on how many points Fusky Fan thinks Oregon will score tomorrow. 78% thought it would be at least 29, 37% thought 36 or more and 10% at least 43 points

In the six games since Oct 14, UW has averaged 32 pts/game. Oregon has averaged 42 against essentially the same competition and had higher margins of victory because of how well the defense is playing. Given the tendency to minimize the prowess of the opponent in any rabid fan base, an admission by Fusky Fan that the Ducks could score more than the mutts average is telling.

I get the distinct impression from their fan sites that they are bravely spouting the party line of a UW victory, but are privately conceding that the numbers don't support it.

Yes, but the stats of the first game supported at least a 10 point Duck win, except for one, 4th down conversions. I think the stats this time are similar, without the need for 4th down conversions. But being nervous/excited when so much is on the line is not unusual. Anyone else having a little IBS.

Somewhat off T but it looks like 3rd string QB, 4* true Frosh, Brock Gleen will be starting for FSU tomorrow in the rain in Charlotte.

But a 3rd string QB started for tOSU when #4 Ohio State defeated #1 Bama and then took out the Ducks in the 2014 champ game.

Louisville wins OREGON takes care of business in LV and the Ducks is likely the 3 seed and playing Michigan in the Rose Bowl.

Go Puddles! Pound the Puppies!

Ok, I’m a little nervous now😂🤣😂.  I don’t like that they have Oregon a 9.5 point favorite.  I understand it, but I don’t like it.  I wish the Ducks were the underdog.  

• Go Ducks! 1

I lost my nervousness after Pennix drove down the field like they were at practice. Can’t believe we came so slow and flat.