Charles Fischer

An Oregon National Championship: 'I STILL BELIEVE,' Do You?

My Duck-Buddies,

I like having a string of YouTube music videos on in the background when I'm looking for pictures for FishDuck.com articles, and this one below from 15 years ago made me think of us as Oregon fans.

We have been through so much as fans, so close--so many times,....do you still believe? I love this cut, and the sax in it is just sensational. 

I still believe 1.jpg

At 2:36 is a fantastic refrain that goes into a sax solo, and as an avid Duck fan with new hope given by Dan Lanning....this song inspires me to stay the course.  How about YOU?

I still believe 2.jpg

Listen to it more than once and see if this doesn't remind you of being Oregon fan...

Charles

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 2

Mr. FishDuck

Preface: The music is not my cup of tea, but:

I still believe. When Lanning first came here, he talked about watering the bamboo. Water the bamboo for five years, then watch it suddenly rocket to the skies.

I think the Ducks are heading toward that goal, and maybe even sooner than five years.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Mic drop 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 2

Expanded Playoff = Far better PO access goosed by going to the Power 2 B1G. But to win, you will need both talent and depth. Something that DL is assiduously working at.

To win the PO in 2024, the Ducks must be the B1G champ or one of the 6/7 at-large teams. 13 regular season games. With no first-round bye as the conference champ, the Ducks would play 16 games to reach the tile game where it would play its 17th game. The Ducks in 2024 have nine (9) games scheduled against 2023 bowl teams. With a B1G champ game and a 1st round bye in 2024, Oregon would still play 17 games, 13 games no doubt vs. 2023 bowl teams. Whew!

That's a big ask for any team, B1G or not. 

• Yikes! 1

I would love the Ducks To win a NCG, however there are many strong teams to compete against and after the 3 loss fiasco to the Fuskies I have my doubts. Three losses by nine or 10 total points gives me concern.

Edited by 1Ducker1

On 12/17/2023 at 12:38 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

I would love the Ducks To win a NCG, however there are many strong teams to compete against and after the 3 loss fiasco to the Fuskies I have my doubts. Three losses by nine or 10 total points gives me concern.

For this year--I agree.  But compared to where this team is going to evolve to in the next couple of years?

I still believe 2.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

One thing is for sure, I will be a Duck fan until I die. JUST BEAT THE FUSKIES!!!

• Applause 1

Well... almost anything is possible.

It would be nice, though, to win an NC in one one of big-3 (football, basketball, or baseball) in my lifetime.

Especially since I missed the last one in 1939 by 22 years. 

So, like the long suffering pre-2016 Chicago Cub fans, I still hold out hope.

• Thumbs Up 1

To infinity and beyond. 

Absolutely! 4 points away from the playoffs, 8 points away from an undefeated regular season and PAC 12 title. 

Who is the playoffs this year is Oregon not capable of beating on any given day?

Next year?

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Applause 1

I BELIEVE.  Everything I see and read points to a trajectory leading upward and onward.

Not only do I believe in OBD, I have faith and trust in DL and his staff.  As @Charles Fischer alludes to above, this team continues to evolve, and as long as they continue to improve 1% every week, they WILL get back to the NCG, hopefully sooner, rather than later!

Why not believe in a football Natty? Even though they didn't win one in 40 years prior to 2021, most of the Dawg fanatics knew more were coming if they could just live that long. Now they expect to be in the mix EVERY YEAR and may well be as long as Kirby Smart is at the helm. I love CDL's bamboo watering metaphor by the way. He learned how to build rosters in Athens and is putting those lessons in play as we speak.

• Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Oh yes, I still believe.  As long as Lanning is HC, the Ducks will continue to be competitive at the highest level year in and year out.  

And CDL is just getting started.  He has basically just gotten his feet wet as a HC. I can’t wait to see what’s coming.  I expect pretty soon that every few years or so, the Ducks will exceed just competing at the highest level, and be in competition for the best team in the country.  

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I absolutely still believe. I will ALWAYS believe that there is. With Lanning as the HC and at the Captains Ship. The Ducks and Lanning are just getting started. With the jump to the Big-Ten next year. Oregon will have just a great of chance as any. As anyone in the Big-Ten, to make the Playoffs. Now that it's going to a 12 Team Playoff. Forever believe

soyouretellingmetheresachance-m.gif

When-Petting-Your-Bird.gif

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I still believe. OBD has been inching closer to the top and I'm glad I am alive for this ride! DL is a beast! The passion he shows, his hiring acumen, and his will to win are all top notch. Give him a couple of years of learning and the B1G will be sorry that they were talked into taking OBD! The freight train is just leaving the station.

• Applause 1

Believe? 

Rob Mullens, Dan Lanning and his assistance coaches. Top 5 football facilities in the nation with a state-of-the-art practice facility ready for 2025(?). Proven developed NFL players currently from our program.

Move to the B1G with significantly better national media coverage AND a revenue bump of 20-30ish Million Dollars annually.  Consistent top 10-15 recruiting classes (top class in the B1G through early signing period) with an understanding of the efficient use of the transfer portal.

A significant donor base through Division Street anchored by Uncle Phil (who we all know wants to celebrate Oregons first National Championship before moving on the "next realm). 

Unbelievable fanbase here in Oregon and Nationally!  And an overall true vision and goal of a "Natty" for Oregon as a consistent top ten program in the country.

Believe.  Hell yeah, I believe.  So much so that I am calling for TWO national championships for OBD by the end of the 2030 season.  GO DUCKS!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/21/2023 at 1:31 PM, MicroBurst61 said:

Believe? 

Rob Mullens, Dan Lanning and his assistance coaches. Top 5 football facilities in the nation with a state-of-the-art practice facility ready for 2025(?). Proven developed NFL players currently from our program.

Move to the B1G with significantly better national media coverage AND a revenue bump of 20-30ish Million Dollars annually.  Consistent top 10-15 recruiting classes (top class in the B1G through early signing period) with an understanding of the efficient use of the transfer portal.

A significant donor base through Division Street anchored by Uncle Phil (who we all know wants to celebrate Oregons first National Championship before moving on the "next realm). 

Unbelievable fanbase here in Oregon and Nationally!  And an overall true vision and goal of a "Natty" for Oregon as a consistent top ten program in the country.

Believe.  Hell yeah, I believe.  So much so that I am calling for TWO national championships for OBD by the end of the 2030 season.  GO DUCKS!

Great take. When the next B1G media deal comes around the Ducks will be a full B1G partner and pulling down $80M+ every season. I expect that Notre Dame will be on board the B1G. FSU is going to disrupt the ACC and if FSU, Clemson, UNC, Louisville, and Miami also leave the ACC may not be a Power conference in the future. 

Not a good ACC showing yesterday - USF 45 - Syracuse Zip. 

Edited by Jon Joseph

3 losses in a row to UW make me not super confident.  But I guess things could change and the ball bounce our way.

Before I pass, I 100% believe that the Ducks will win a natty. We're getting closer. And being in the B1G should better OBD's chances, re: recruiting (HS & portal), toughness, profile, DL's coaching chops, preparation for the big stages, perception, etc.

Just looking at the schedules for the next few years, it's like a CFB wet dream. 

• Haha 1

As we all know, football is a game of inches, but those inches are not always easily earned. I think Dan Lanning can take us all the way, but not with some changes made. This year we excelled when we should've, but fell flat when it was needed. I was fairly pleased with the first Washington loss, played hard and just made some bad play-calls on key 3rd/4th downs. Second loss, did the same but oline and d-line got dominated and we fell short again. Washington's offense dialed it up when they needed too on key downs, bringing out a variety of different plays and looks and they took it to us.

We seemed to be running all the same old schemes and plays we had ran all year nothing seemed new or special (could've missed some). 3rd and 4th down play calls were horrible, checking it down and throwing completions in front of the sticks doesn't always work out, especially when playing similar talent. Also, with a qb as experienced and talented as Nix, WHY were we doing that?

I haven't commented on her for years, but I've said this before, we will not win a natty without playing Oregon football. To me, Oregon football is getting the most out of your talent through being one of the most innovative, creative offenses in the league. Now that we have more talent on the offensive side, I feel as if we are shifting away from that? Of course we will most likely win the games where we absolutely have more talent, but in the ones where it was maybe even just even? We fell short. Now, Lanning is doing great on the recruiting trail but I'd be surprised to see us consistently pass or reach the usual top 3 (tOSU, Bama, Georgia), that's why I think we must make it up in other ways. Please everyone tell me your thoughts on this!! I actually missed not seeing any pistol this year!!   

Something to think about: Every head coach to leave Oregon in the last 15 years has never replicated or gotten close to the success they reached while in the program. Does this mean our program makes coaches look better than they are? If so, how do we really know Dan Lanning is a good coach? (I still do believe he is) We continue to move in the right direction, securing better talent on the d-line and elsewhere. I'd like to see us effectively develop Qbs as well, we'll see how Dante Moore works out.

On 12/28/2023 at 9:17 PM, Matt23 said:

Now that we have more talent on the offensive side, I feel as if we are shifting away from that?

Great to have you posting again, and I am going to politely disagree on a few points.  I believe Lanning wants a high scoring offense, and we have had that the last two years, but I believe that Stein is going to be better yet next year at the crucial moments.  I do not believe Dan will emphasize defense as a focus for the team, as I felt the shortcomings on offense did not come from a lack of will to score, but the occasional tough call that fell short.  He was not purposely plodding the RBs into the A-Gaps like someone who lost a bowl game yesterday.

I actually missed not seeing any pistol this year!! 

We ran Pistol within our offense this year, but you missed it.  The key thing is that it was not executed the same way as in the past, and that we do not miss!

Now, Lanning is doing great on the recruiting trail but I'd be surprised to see us consistently pass or reach the usual top 3 (tOSU, Bama, Georgia), that's why I think we must make it up in other ways.

I agree with you. Within two years--we will have the same amount of Blue-Chip experienced talent the other elite teams do.  (Ours is still very young at the moment, IMHO) The difference then is play-calls at the big moments.  Dano and Lupoi did some clutch blitzes at key times that most of us over-looked through the season.  Those calls will be the difference, I believe.

That, and some better calls on offense as key moments, as previously mentioned.  It has only been two years with Lanning--we can do it!

giphy.gif

• Go Ducks! 1

Mr. FishDuck

I do believe, but I have to say that the last four losses being Washington, Oregon State, Washington, and Washington have shaken me to my core! CDL MUST get past Kalen DeBoer or wait for the latter to go to the NFL. I don't know if I have that many years left. But I do believe...