FishDuck Article

Oregon’s Move to Big Ten Helps to Keep Lanning

Rumors are swirling about Kirby Smart becoming the next head coach of the Atlanta Falcons. This, of course, would almost certainly put Dan Lanning at the very top of the list of candidates to replace Smart. I would not be surprised if “Dan Lanning” is the only person on that list. Georgia would come fast and furious and hot and ...

FISHDUCK.COM

Darren Perkins of Fishduck.com takes a look at one of distinct positives of Oregon joining the Big Ten Conference.

• Applause 3
  • Like 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Good thing he didn’t go to Georgia! The guy just scored a top 5 class as good as he can get anywhere else, and is in one of the “Big 2” conferences…I don’t think he’s leaving for a college job.

If UGA has to replace Kirby? Lanning is probably taking that job imo

• Thumbs Up 1

Nothing we can do that we already haven't done to keep Lanning. I will say if Lanning leaves he isn't who he says he is, and that, my friends, is all you have.

Everything he says he wants we have given him and he chose Oregon because it had the 'its' he wanted. He would become just another guy looking for the next shiny thing which ends up blinding most.

I choose to believe Lanning is more than he says, not less.

• Great post! 2
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

Evidently Seaton didn't catch the hat JacQawn threw.

• Haha 2

Lanning seems to be enjoying building his own empire. I don't think he's interested in simply maintaining someone else's.

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 6

On 12/21/2023 at 7:59 AM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

Lanning seems to be enjoying building his own empire. I don't think he's interested in simply maintaining someone else's.

This. Most guys want to slay their own Dragon, not keep their boot on the neck of someone else's Dragon.

If he wins a Natty at Oregon it will be his and nobody else could take that away from him.

At Georgia he could end up being a Ryan Day, on the hot seat as soon as he loses to Bama or misses the final 4 of the playoffs.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

I’m sorry but I don’t understand the logic in the article.

How does joining the B1G prevent Dan Lanning from becoming the head coach at Georgia (or Alabama)? These teams are built to win championships now, are playing in the top college football conference, are surrounded by elite high school football talent and are known to pay more for their head coaches than Oregon ever has. 

If the author mentioned a non-power 2 conference team or a middle to bottom tier team from one of the power 2 conferences, I would agree, but Georgia?

Totally agree and I am not even sure Kirby would want to go to the NFL.   He is in a pretty good place right now and I am sure has everything he needs.

If you’ve ever been to Georgia the humidity is pretty unbearable at times. They do have some good bars however.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I tend to agree. DL appears to be a man of his word and made a definitive statement when rumors were swirling about the Texas A&M job.

That said, the dollars speak volumes. Smart has a 10yr $112.5M contract that expires 2031 with a $91M buyout. I don't know if that buyout extends to taking the Atlanta Fail-cons/Dirty Bird job or if it just applies to college. DL is getting $45M on a six year contract that expires in 2028 with a $20M buyout. Georgia would have to pay $20M to get Lanning away from Oregon and then pay him $9-10M/year with a Smart sized contract, but they may have that kind of money to burn.

Rumors are just that and Smart may not be giving the Fail-cons job a second thought. If coaches want to jump, that's exactly what they are going to do.

DL is setting OBD and himself up to be the kings of the west and a perennial CFP power in the B1G. I think he stays put even if Smart moves on. Either way we'll know pretty soon. 

He’s not at the top of my list if I’m Georgia. DL great recruiter, but that’s not at the top of my list for a place like that…they can throw a rock and hit a 5 star. I’d want a great game day coach that has been thriving with lesser recruiting classes, perhaps a recent coach of the year.

Edited by JabbaNoBargain

On 12/21/2023 at 2:48 AM, JabbaNoBargain said:

Good thing he didn’t go to Georgia! The guy just scored a top 5 class as good as he can get anywhere else, and is in one of the “Big 2” conferences…I don’t think he’s leaving for a college job.

Yeah, he's got it pretty good where he's at. But, some people like a new challenge. 

On 12/21/2023 at 4:45 AM, Log Haulin said:

It's a definite possibility. I think Georgia and Alabama are the only two schools to worry about. But, not everyone wants to follow a legend, and he seems to really like Eugene and his family. We just don't know what he prioritizes. 

On 12/21/2023 at 6:01 AM, Haywarduck said:

Nothing we can do that we already haven't done to keep Lanning. I will say if Lanning leaves he isn't who he says he is, and that, my friends, is all you have.

Everything he says he wants we have given him and he chose Oregon because it had the 'its' he wanted. He would become just another guy looking for the next shiny thing which ends up blinding most.

I choose to believe Lanning is more than he says, not less.

I think he does stay. But, wouldn't be shocked if he went to Georgia. It's possible he said things never thinking the job would come open, given Kirby's relative young age. 

On 12/21/2023 at 8:05 AM, OregonDucks said:

I’m sorry but I don’t understand the logic in the article.

How does joining the B1G prevent Dan Lanning from becoming the head coach at Georgia (or Alabama)? These teams are built to win championships now, are playing in the top college football conference, are surrounded by elite high school football talent and are known to pay more for their head coaches than Oregon ever has. 

If the author mentioned a non-power 2 conference team or a middle to bottom tier team from one of the power 2 conferences, I would agree, but Georgia?

Nothing would prevent him from going to Georgia or Alabama if he wants to go. The point is that if you are already coaching in one of the Power-2 conferences, that can't be used to persuade you if another Power-2 program tries to poach you away. 

On 12/21/2023 at 9:32 AM, JabbaNoBargain said:

He’s not at the top of my list if I’m Georgia. DL great recruiter, but that not at the top of my list for a place like that…they can throw a rock and hit a 5 star. I’d want a great game day coach that has been thriving with lesser recruiting classes, perhaps a recent coach of the year.

Recruiting is absolutely the number one priority. You can sit in rich recruiting country and still under recruit. Washington is currently in the 40s in recruiting. Like UCLA, they should never fall out of the Top 20.  Georgia wouldn't want him. Think of what UW would be if they did recruit better. That would be scary. 

Of course recruiting is the priority, but I think an average recruiter can still get top 5 classes at Georgia. DL is a proven recruiter, but arguably the jury is still out on game day coaching in big games.

On 12/21/2023 at 9:37 AM, Darren Perkins said:

It's a definite possibility. I think Georgia and Alabama are the only two schools to worry about. But, not everyone wants to follow a legend, and he seems to really like Eugene and his family. We just don't know what he prioritizes. 

I actually don't think he would take the Alabama job in theory, IMHO he just doesn't have enough of an attachment to that place other than respecting Nick Saban and learning from him.  Georgia on the other hand, that's where he experienced his first real success as a direct contributor.  If Kirby left and Georgia came calling, it would be a 50/50 shot on whether he stays or goes...in that scenario I think it would come down to what his wife and kids would say.  If they're settled in and comfortable in Eugene then that would be the tipping point for DL to continue putting down roots in Oregon.

On 12/21/2023 at 7:45 AM, Log Haulin said:

It would suck, but I wouldnt be mad at that 

So, so many successful college coaches have gone to the NFL only to come back with their tails tucked between their legs.  

Kirby’s mentor is exhibit A of don’t forget how good you’ve got it.  

I would be shocked if Kirby went to the NFL.  He’s got a sweet gig.  

I would think the TP and NIL madness in recruiting might make a few coaches eye the NFL. 

How about this: DeBoer to LA! Obviously not USuC or UCLA, but the Chargers.  It's a Win-Win for Oregon if that could happen.  First, it throws Washington off our tail since whichever coach they replace him with likely won't be as good from the start as he has been (W really did nail that hire);  Second, it also gives our boy Herbert a fighting chance in the NFL.

• Mic drop 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/21/2023 at 8:05 AM, Solar said:

If he wins a Natty at Oregon it will be his and nobody else could take that away from him.

He will have won a 'Natty at a place where it has never happened, and if that occurs--he will never have to walk again.  People will carry him everywhere he goes!

• Haha 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 12/21/2023 at 3:24 PM, CalBear95 said:

So, so many successful college coaches have gone to the NFL only to come back with their tails tucked between their legs.  

Kirby’s mentor is exhibit A of don’t forget how good you’ve got it.  

I would be shocked if Kirby went to the NFL.  He’s got a sweet gig.  

I totally agree, BUT, these guys tend to have larger than average egos and want to prove that they can be the exception. So, ya never know. 

Plus, there is the burnout factor in college, way more work due to recruiting and kissing up to donors, etc. etc... 

• Thumbs Up 1

My prediction on Lanning remains; I believe he is here to win a 'Natty, and then he will want the challenge of taking on the best minds of the NFL.  I could see him as a NFL DC trying to stop a DeBoer passing offense--who is also in the NFL by then.

Mr. FishDuck

On 12/21/2023 at 10:32 AM, JabbaNoBargain said:

Of course recruiting is the priority, but I think an average recruiter can still get top 5 classes at Georgia. DL is a proven recruiter, but arguably the jury is still out on game day coaching in big games.

Not in my opinion.  Execution matters, and I saw plenty of execution flaws- especially in Vegas.

DL does not have the personell on defense he wants or needs.  That was especially evident at the safety position, and both games featured understaffed talent at corner.

Losing by three with gaps like that tells me he is on point.  

But that's just me.

• Applause 1

Going to Georgia after that statement quelling rumors about A&M?  Talk about ruining any integrity you have!

As for coaching in the NFL?  Kirby has it way better than any challenge the NFL provides.  Just ask Spurrier, Saban and the old Chipper.  The best NFL coaches start and develop in the NFL.  

• Great post! 1

On 12/21/2023 at 5:02 PM, Mike West said:

The best NFL coaches start and develop in the NFL.

Seems to be the case most of the time.

On 12/21/2023 at 11:15 AM, Just Ducky said:

If you’ve ever been to Georgia the humidity is pretty unbearable at times. They do have some good bars however.

Athens is one of if not the best college towns in America. Most of the 5* who sign on with Kirby grew up playing in humidity. Believe me, it beats shoveling snow.

IF (and when) LR 'moves on' from SC I would place bets on DeBoer going there.   Jen Cohen who hired him at UW is there.

Kirby $10.7M a year. $1.3M in bonuses last season. It's open hunting season for recruits and not having to go through the draft process. No restrictions on transfers that Kirby can bring in.

He's going to trade this for a total rebuild in Atlanta coaching professional athletes who may or may not buy into the message Kirby has delivered in Athens to take Georgia to the top levels of CFB. Kirby is an alum and a hero in Athens. When was the last time Kirby had to pick up a check? 2 losing seasons with the Falcons and he's probably out the door. 

Thanks for the take, Darren, but I don't see Kirby going pro. But if it happens DL will have to listen. Ditto when Saint Nick hangs it up. Ohio State, Michigan, and perhaps Penn State and Texas are the other jobs that could entice DL.

I do think that college coaches put in way more time than NFL coaches. There are always exceptions but the transfer portal and recruiting are rigorous jobs all by themselves then add the regular season.

Have no idea how these guys get any sleep. Just think of the air miles these guys are putting in. Makes an nfl job look like a cake walk. 

Average salary in the nfl for head coaches is 6.6 million. KS will make somewhere around 12 million this year as Jon just stated. He would take a huge cut in wages if he went to the Falcons. 

Average tenure for an nfl job is 3.2 years. I am with Jon here that KS might be making the career blunder of his life leaving the Dogs for the falcons. He might have a better roster also at Georgia. Lol

• Applause 1

@Just Ducky No way do college coaches put in more hours than their peers in the NFL.  And even if we were to agree the total hours invested were equal (and they aren’t), those hours are not made equally 

The NFL is a full time business ranging from player evaluation, roster construction, player development, motivating well paid men with huge egos, scheme development and, of course, game day coaching.  Outside of the game day coaching, that’s the job 365 DaY.  

And bear in mind the salary cap and the degree of parity it enables makes that job all the harder 

The NFL is just at another level of intensity and it’s why I think college coaches can’t make the transition and why the coaches in the league come from within that system.  

My take anyhow 

Edited by CalBear95
  • Applause 1