DrJacksPlaidPants

Nick Saban is Retiring!

I just heard it on the SXM college sports station. Apparently, a person named Nick Low broke the story.

Hold breath a bit

I won't trust it personally until it comes out of his mouth. 

But I can see him getting tired of the process because recruiting itself is hard... but now coaches have to constantly recruit their own rosters which is rough. I could see him feeling done with the whole state of college football.

But... I could also see this being a whole lot of smoke. 

And he’s 72, doesn’t need to be some deep reason beyond age and he has 7 titles.

Report: Nick Saban Retires as Alabama HC; Won 6 National Titles with Crimson Tide

BLEACHERREPORT.COM

A college football titan is reportedly walking away from the sport. Legendary Alabama head coach Nick Saban is retiring, per ESPN's Chris Low. The six-time…

Clow(esp)N?

Great handle.

Edited by woundedknees
  • Haha 1

How quick does Dan quash the rumors?

• Thumbs Up 1

This one of three jobs he might be tempted by, so I’d put this at high red alert, if we were still in the PAC I think he’d be gone

Edited by JabbaNoBargain
  • Thumbs Up 1

I agree with the High Red Alert. I would suspect Alabama already has their guy, the rest of the world just doesn't know it yet.

Go Ducks!

• Thumbs Up 1

Saban has been highly vocal about NIL and Portal. Its high energy all the time. A total Young mans game. My fear is Lanning to 'Bama. Not many schools he would answer the phone for over Bama. Holding breath

Kiff, Kirby, and Sark would neuter a conference opponent and be good hires.

Dabo, Norvell might be looking to flee ACC

be very glad we’re in the new B1G, but I think high chance we’re screwed.

Edited by JabbaNoBargain

Harbaugh as a dark horse for the Alabama job? He's been cagey when reporters have asked about his future recently. My head tells me Lanning will stay at Oregon but still very nervous. If there's any job that could pull him away, this is it. 

Anyone taking that job won't have stability, guaranteed. Dan has what he wants here in Eugene. 

The only unknown variable is if the wife isn't happy, then.....

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/10/2024 at 2:49 PM, Dav3d said:

Harbaugh as a dark horse for the Alabama job? He's been cagey when reporters have asked about his future recently. My head tells me Lanning will stay at Oregon but still very nervous. If there's any job that could pull him away, this is it. 

Harbaugh will be fleeing the college game most likely, high chance of show cause being slapped on him.

Lanning would not be doing anything exceptional winning a 'Natty at Alabama, and in fact if he doesn't--he's gone.  But at Oregon...he can do it, and be legendary among us.  I believe he will stay if offered.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 2
  • Thumbs Up 6

Mr. FishDuck

My money is Cristobal to Alabama…

image.png.f5e662eb4b4066cc49924ba054b1ce92.png

• Haha 2

Sources: Coach Nick Saban, who won 6 titles at Alabama, retiring

Video talking about Saban

WWW.ESPN.COM

Nick Saban, considered among the greatest college football coaches of all time who won six national titles at Alabama, is retiring, sources told ESPN's Chris Low.

I look at the Bama job the same way I look at a NFL job. A coach will have 4 years tops to win big or he’s gone. It’s not like Saban pulled a Belichik and started losing. This team is already built for a national championship and they will be expecting one the first year.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm not worried about DL leaving. He's expressed multiple times publicly and emphatically that he's happy at Oregon and has no interest in leaving. He's also said he's tired of moving his family every couple years and just wants to settle down.

He knows what he has at Oregon and the kind of name he's building for himself. 

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 1/10/2024 at 3:02 PM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

I look at the Bama job the same way I look at a NFL job. A coach will have 4 years tops to win big or he’s gone. It’s not like Saban pulled a Belichik and started losing. This team is already built for a national championship and they will be expecting one the first year.

Agree. There will be absolutely no patience for a transition period and expectations of nothing less than a national championship right away. It's a spot that's set up for failure.

DeBoer could likely recruit at Bama.

• Thumbs Up 1

Alabama recruits just fine. I would be surprised if they don’t hire within the SEC.

Question for all. How long will Dan Lanning last at Bama if he loses to Kirby 3 times in a row?

• Oh no! 1
  • Yikes! 1

On 1/10/2024 at 6:12 PM, Maebee said:

DeBoer could likely recruit at Bama.

Bama doesn’t have a great history with coaches from the state of Washington.

WWW.ESPN.COM

Mike Price was fired by Alabama on Saturday for failing to live his 'personal and professional life in a manner consistent with university policies.' Price's behavior apparently included two trips...

• Haha 1

I think this has legs.  I'm sure Nicky wanted to go out with another natty, but regardless he's still the GOAT.  The timing fits, he's getting older and NIL and the portal are completely changing the game.  Not saying he can't rebrand himself, but he really doesn't have anything left to prove at this point. 

I guess we'll see soon enough if DL was blowing smoke regarding his longevity in Eugene.  Hoping for the best, but he's obviously on the short list, probably the main target.  That's what Vegas says anyway and they do their homework, although I'm a bit surprised that Kiffen and Sark aren't listed on the current odds sheet.

Time for Jimbo to land another contract!

Mike Norvell would jump and Bama knows it.

One more thing to consider. How many boosters does DL have to answer to? I think he’s got it pretty good here with just PK.

Agree with all points of why he should or could stay, but this is a behemoth that he has some ties to, and he is on the short list. I wouldn’t follow Saban myself, but I’m also not DL.

Reports: Oregon HC Dan Lanning a 'top target' for Alabama HC vacancy 

Brett McMurphy of Action Network reported Dan Lanning is a 'top target' for the Alabama head coach opening.

247SPORTS.COM

Brett McMurphy of Action Network reported Dan Lanning is a 'top target' for the Alabama head coach opening.

Remember Dan Lanning said this last time:

"I'm not going anywhere. There's zero chance I would be coaching somewhere else. I've got unfinished business here. My No. 1 priority is being elite here at Oregon."

There will be no shortage of coaching rumors for the Alabama position, but Lanning, a young up-and-coming coach with a direct background to Saban, will be at the forefront.

I heard DeBoer and Dabo along with Sarkisian being on the short list.

I am going to be a firm believer in Dan Lanning being true to his word.

• Thumbs Up 1

My bet, Deion, to at least get an interview. Another wild one would be Vrabel to tosu, an alumni! 

Nothing would make me happier than DeBoer to..... anywhere but seattle.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 1/10/2024 at 3:43 PM, Haywarduck said:

My bet, Deion, to at least get an interview. Another wild one would be Vrabel to tosu, an alumni! 

Nothing would make me happier than DeBoer to..... anywhere but seattle.

I endorse this!

On 1/10/2024 at 3:00 PM, Pocketchange said:

My money is Cristobal to Alabama…

image.png.f5e662eb4b4066cc49924ba054b1ce92.png

This hot take bettors list is hotter than the face of the sun.

Most of those names have no chance. It takes 2 to make deal.

Edited by Solar

Quick look at the Bama message boards shows they want Kiffin, Lanning, or Sark. 

Gulp.

Alabama’s AD grew up in Eugene, maybe Greg will take mercy on us 😅

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

• Let’s hope! 1

Wait, nobody is mentioning Lincoln Riley??  

nani-surprised.gif.f60418263c6a06a45db1b14c2dda51b7.gif

• Haha 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

Lanning is being mentioned as a possible replacement in the Tuscaloosa news.

WWW.TUSCALOOSANEWS.COM

Who will replace Nick Saban? Here are some early Alabama candidates for next Crimson Tide football coach.

Well the good news is that if he doesn't take this job we can feel pretty secure about his loyalty going forward.

Here I though it was going to be a boring off-season and we still haven't heard what Harbaugh is doing.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 1/10/2024 at 2:21 PM, David Marsh said:

I won't trust it personally until it comes out of his mouth. 

But I can see him getting tired of the process because recruiting itself is hard... but now coaches have to constantly recruit their own rosters which is rough. I could see him feeling done with the whole state of college football.

But... I could also see this being a whole lot of smoke. 

James Hunter: No smoke without fire.

He’s gone.

Something about DL tells me that he knows he would be absolutely screwing Oregon by not only leaving after year two, but also leaving in January after his entire team is signed/retained. 

On 1/10/2024 at 4:14 PM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

Bama doesn’t have a great history with coaches from the state of Washington.

"Roll tide, roll!"

"Kids -- remember when I said that the 6th move and school system in 9 years would be your last... well..."

Imagine if he goes to Alabama and loses to UGA in next year’s regular season game and then a couple of SEC championship games in the following years and then gets fired. Kirby would be the guy who made him and then destroyed him in the span of 5 seasons.

Realistically given the expectations at Alabama they would need to pull Kirby or Harbaugh.  I don't think either of them would take it right now, which leaves the next sensible candidate being Sark.  He's middle aged, coached at Alabama at the past, and just had a CFP appearance.  

On 1/10/2024 at 8:46 PM, kirklandduck said:

Realistically given the expectations at Alabama they would need to pull Kirby or Harbaugh.  I don't think either of them would take it right now, which leaves the next sensible candidate being Sark.  He's middle aged, coached at Alabama at the past, and just had a CFP appearance.  

It’s funny you mention Sark. When this story broke today on SXM’s College Sports channel, Chris Doering was saying that he would be very surprised if Sark and Lanning considered the Bama job since their current programs have everything they need to win.