Charles Fischer

Alabama Slides to Their 5th or 6th HC Choice?

We know Dan Lanning is well compensated, and will be well loved when he wins one national championship at Oregon, whereas it would be one of simply meeting expectations at Alabama.

Norvell?  So many years of losing at Florida State after Bobby Bowden, and Norvell brings them an undefeated season? Do you think the fans there want to let him go? Do you think he will be loved more at Alabama than among Seminole fans? I don’t see him leaving either…

Ditto for DeBoer at Washington, Kiffin at Ole Miss, and Freeman at Notre Dame. 

Sark has a pretty good thing going at Texas, would their fans let him go after all the so-so years of Longhorn football?

Who in their right mind would want to follow Saban, when you can be idolized at your current school?

Could Alabama have to turn to the second tier of coaches?

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

It's a whole new world out there, and Paul Finebaum is not going to like it. I love it.

• Haha 1

I wonder If they have talked To Mario? he has ties to Bama.---just sayin

• Haha 4
  • Mic drop 1
  • Applause 1

I’m sending DeBoer real estate listings.

this one seems nice;

WWW.BING.COM

Single Family ∙ 29879 Saint John Dr, Orange Beach, AL 36561 is currently listing for sale at...

• Haha 1
  • Applause 1

It is pretty funny that Bama certainly has the resources to theoretically have their pick of all coaches in college football but the reality is that they don't. 

Many of the best coaches out there have built their programs to rival Bama in the mold of Bama.

So why go to Bama to have to reshape the roster a bit to fit what they want to do when they already have their roster? Most don't want to touch it. 

If this was December and not mid January I think it would have been different. However, it is mid January and most programs have finished a majority of their recruiting and transfer portal moves for the winter. Sure, there's a second signing day but the majority of players have already signed and are done. 

Bama has a good class but it's Saban's class. Any coach that takes over is going to have to go in and win over Saban's buys real fast because the portal is still open for Bama (CFP team rules for portal) and then it opens again in the spring.

Whoever takes the job is recruiting Saban's roster for starters and that's harder than recruiting their own existing rosters. 

Also access to the playoff is expanding so that means that other schools are going to be able to compete and NIL is such that the recruiting game is different. 

And frankly... Bama doesn't have the best NIL program right now. They haven't needed it either because they have been able to sell Saban and his incredible track record. 

That all changes right now for Bama. They are a top school but no longer THE top football school. They have the prestige but what coach in their right mind is going to want to enter that pressure cooker? Not when they have what they need to make a title run where they're at right now. 

• Applause 2

Other thing to add... 

Bama wants a proven coach who can get them back in the championship game right away. 

I'd be shocked if they do what Oregon did and go and grab a first time head coach. The stakes are too high they want a guy who can win it all in year one. That shortens the list a whole lot.

No. Alabama is still at the top of the pile. The fact that our coach said "No" and turned it into something else only has a bearing on Oregon. We're a destination job. But there are may coaches and programs that would latch on to Bama. It's still a recruiting hotbed, and a savvy coach would be remiss not to take the baton.

Just not Dan Lanning.

• Thumbs Up 1

So funny to read what Alabama wants, an established coach so they can keep winning. The stage is already set for the next coach to be fired. We hired you because we thought you would be the next Saban, that is the recipe for disaster.

They would be smart to hire a coach who wants to be there, and support him to no end. Maybe a coach who has failed a little in the past, this job would make him better. Look at innovative assistants they can have a chance to become a great coach. No program is going to do that, just Oregon!

It seems that DeBoer’s schedule has changed a bit this morning. Whether it’s him or Norvell, I’m still happy. One would think that FSU poaching Taggart only to have him drag their program down in the gutter with him would be punishment enough. Nope, they should suffer getting their head coach taken from them. I still recall their fans taunting us and calling us a stepping stone program. 

On 1/11/2024 at 9:56 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

I wonder If they have talked To Mario? he has ties to Bama.---just sayin

Only in Miami fans dreams. 😉:classic_cool:

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Seriously, how long would mari NO O last at bama? 2 years?

Which Alabama players could Oregon potentially pursue after Nick Saban's retirement?

Following Saban’s retirement, schools around the country will be clamoring to land Alabama players who don’t want to play for whoever the new Crimson Tide coach is. Alabama players will have a 30-day window into the NCAA transfer portal following Saban’s retirement.

"Below, I’ve compiled a list of the eight Crimson Tide players I think the Ducks are most likely to pursue if they decide to transfer. All of these situations are hypotheticals, and I’m thinking several steps ahead here. But there will inevitably be Crimson Tide players who decide to transfer after Saban’s retirement, and these eight players are who I think Oregon is most likely to pursue."

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

A look at some players for the Alabama Crimson Tide that have ties to the Oregon Ducks.

• Thanks 1

They will have to go roll the dice and the "next big thing." Like Oregon did with Lanning. Of course, Wilcox is out there for the Tide ; )

Charles, great take. The only question I have is whether ND's Freeman is on Bama's list. I don't think the guy has distinguished himself in South Bend and if he doesn't get ND into a 12-team PO this season with a fairly easy schedule by Domer standards, I think he could be presented with a pink slip. 

Alabama coaching candidates: Kalen DeBoer, Dabo Swinney among options to replace Nick Saban

One of the most coveted jobs in college football has opened after the greatest coach in history has called it quits

Oregon coach Dan Lanning was immediately pointed toward as the frontrunner to replace Saban, though the Ducks boss ultimately shot down any interest and announced his intentions to remain at Eugene, Oregon, within 24 hours of Saban stepping away. Texas coach and former Alabama assistant Steve Sarkisian was another popular name making the rounds, but on Friday, he was removed from the running after the Longhorns announced he will be staying in Austin likely under a new contract.

WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

One of the most coveted jobs in college football has opened after the greatest coach in history has called it quits

So, what Washington fans were hoping for an Oregon demise has quickly turned towards them.

FSU's Norvell, Texas' Sarkisian staying, new deals in works for both

Alabama's search for Nick Saban's replacement is now focussing on Washington's kale DeBoer, sources told ESPN.  Tide offensive coordinator Tommy Rees will also be interviewed, the sources said.

WWW.ESPN.COM

Texas' Steve Sarkisian and Florida State's Mike Norvell reaffirmed their commitments to their current schools on social media Friday after being linked to Alabama's high-profile vacancy.

• Go Ducks! 1

Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery.

• Mic drop 1

On 1/12/2024 at 1:45 PM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery.

Wow, did not take Texas long to copy from the originator Dan Lanning.  They knew it was too good not to copy.  Great recruiting tool.  But recruits will know this, you heard if first from Dan Lanning at Oregon.  Go Ducks!

On 1/11/2024 at 8:57 PM, Marshall Lucky said:

I’m sending DeBoer real estate listings.

Good one.  Dang I had no idea how expensive real estate is in AL.   That's Oregon prices, or even California!

Edited by DuckFan93

On 1/12/2024 at 2:08 PM, DuckFan93 said:

Good one.  Dang I had no idea how expensive real estate is in AL.   That's Oregon prices, or even California!

That’s in Orange Beach. It’s a vacation destination that is very close to the Florida panhandle, so prices will be similar. Newer houses in the 2500-3000 square foot range that are inland will still be seven figures easily.

Waterfront property in the Bellevue area with similar square footage will run $20-$30M. All the more reason for DeBoer to relocate. He probably lives in a shanty with his Husky salary.

Well that didn't take long.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/12/2024 at 8:17 AM, NJDuck said:

Which Alabama players could Oregon potentially pursue after Nick Saban's retirement?

Following Saban’s retirement, schools around the country will be clamoring to land Alabama players who don’t want to play for whoever the new Crimson Tide coach is. Alabama players will have a 30-day window into the NCAA transfer portal following Saban’s retirement.

"Below, I’ve compiled a list of the eight Crimson Tide players I think the Ducks are most likely to pursue if they decide to transfer. All of these situations are hypotheticals, and I’m thinking several steps ahead here. But there will inevitably be Crimson Tide players who decide to transfer after Saban’s retirement, and these eight players are who I think Oregon is most likely to pursue."

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

A look at some players for the Alabama Crimson Tide that have ties to the Oregon Ducks.

Looking forward to the next article:

Which Washington Players could Oregon Potentially Pursue After DeBoer Leaves?

Edited by Solar

DeBoer may have jumped from a great situation to a difficult one. UW fans would be crazy in love with him for years, for one NC game appearance. 

Now he is in a place following a legit legend. He will have great resources, tradition and brand, but the expectations are not a NC game appearance every now and then. The expectations are winning NC games on a regular basis. If you don't...

He may well be up to the challenge, he's a good coach. He proved that the last few years at UW. 

But if he stumbles out of the gate, he could have a difficult time.

On 1/12/2024 at 6:43 AM, ABNMoose said:

2 years?

2 games, or being shutout 2 times, which ever came first.

I am sensing a tie.

Once again, Oregon leads the way.

On 1/12/2024 at 11:37 AM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

That’s in Orange Beach. It’s a vacation destination that is very close to the Florida panhandle, so prices will be similar. Newer houses in the 2500-3000 square foot range that are inland will still be seven figures easily.

Waterfront property in the Bellevue area with similar square footage will run $20-$30M. All the more reason for DeBoer to relocate. He probably lives in a shanty with his Husky salary.

DeBoer will be set for life with his new contract, even if he flames out at Alabama. I don’t know what he was making at UDUB, but they hired him from Fresno State, so it obviously paled in comparison to what he is guaranteed with his new deal. Good move for him.