Haywarduck

ENJOY the DeBoer Saga!

Anyone else finds this highly entertaining. A delayed announcement, the dawgs maybe losing another coach who was going to bring their program the first mens NCAA title. 

I must say getting another 5* transfer is nice, but DeBoer leaving the dawgs would be priceless.

000f5445-a0ae-415e-b913-b188ae19ea16_220x300.gif

• Great post! 2
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 2

Give this a listen. Klatt makes a lot of good points. The two biggest being: 1) DeBoer recently hired Jimmy Sexton who knows the SEC landscape very well since he represents most of the big name coaches in the conference and  2) DeBoer isn’t working for the AD who hired him anymore. She took off to USuC.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Even if he doesn't go to Alabama, this has been fun to watch!

• Thumbs Up 2

Deboer cancelled a radio show he was supposed to have today....(I MAY be snooping on the UW forums).

They are absolutely beside themselves with angst...can't say I blame them though as that is something we know all too well.

• Cool 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

At this point I would imagine the money for a winning coach willing to sign on to one of these teams has to be crazy time numbers.

I almost wonder if Helfrich is getting calls. I bet Petersen is getting huge offers. Urban Meyer has to be getting pulled by the money out there. 

When all the dust settles it will be interesting to see who is sitting in which position. The good news are seat is nice and warm, only because our guy hasn't left it! While the dawg seat, may be empty soon!

fl7qgfh7tah2tsezqkvs.jpeg

images.jpeg

Alabama candidates Mike Norvell, Kalen DeBoer, Lane Kiffin and Sark are all Jimmy Sexton clients.

in the SEC, 11 of 14 coaches in the league last year were repped by Sexton, along with both 2024 new guys Steve Sarkisian and Brent Venables.

There is publicity this morning from Austin that Sark is getting a new contract.  If DeBoer is meeting with the Dub AD it is just another example of Sexton leveraging an opening for more client money.

For Sexton, Christmas comes after December 25.

• Thumbs Up 3

DeBoer is a terrific coach. His wins vs losses record is fantastic. But in the long run, I do not see DeBoer as a threat to Oregon. 

How did Saban turn Bama around? With unparalleled recruiting. Nick coached up the Jim's and Joe's but someone 1st had to bring the stud players to Bama. In 2 seasons of P4 recruiting, DeBoer has been average at best. How will he recruit in the shark tank that is the SEC?

Harsin from Boise to Auburn was a huge mistake. DeBoer's UW team was blown out on both LOS by Michigan. The SEC is a much deeper LOS league than the B1G. 

Penix and the 3 top WRs are gone. The best guys on the OL and on the DL are gone. Where is the talent coming from to replace these guys? Not from the HS ranks and DL runs circles around BeBoer not only in recruiting but in portal picking.

I hope he stays so Oregon can start getting payback in the last regular season game of 2024.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Cool 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 1/12/2024 at 8:22 AM, Haywarduck said:

I almost wonder if Helfrich is getting calls. I bet Petersen is getting huge offers. Urban Meyer has to be getting pulled by the money out there.

Meyer is the most likely of those three to rejoin the coaching ranks if you ask me. 

Helfrich could have reentered the coaching ranks at any time after Oregon as a head coach. He had a good record at Oregon and was overall a good coach who had a bad season. Many programs would have jumped at grabbing him if he was interested. 

Petersen got tired of recruiting more than anything. 

Both seem happy with their commentary jobs these days. I'd even say Meyers looks happy just talking about football rather than coaching it. 

On 1/12/2024 at 7:59 AM, Ktmguy2018 said:

Deboer cancelled a radio show he was supposed to have today....(I MAY be snooping on the UW forums).

They are absolutely beside themselves with angst...can't say I blame them though as that is something we know all too well.

UW fans were laughing at Oregon fans a couple of days ago, when Lanning was supposedly the leading candidate.  Irony?!!!

Edited by OregonDucks
  • Haha 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

If Deboer goes, Washington beating Oregon in the PAC12 championship game will in hindsight be winning the battle but losing the war. I'm not sure Deboer is so desirable if they finished the regular season with two losses and just outside the top 10.

Oh, and if DeBoer goes I expect Grubb to go with him rather than take over as HC. But that is speculation on top of speculation at this point.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 1/12/2024 at 8:25 AM, HDuck said:

Alabama candidates Mike Norvell, Kalen DeBoer, Lane Kiffin and Sark are all Jimmy Sexton clients.

in the SEC, 11 of 14 coaches in the league last year were repped by Sexton, along with both 2024 new guys Steve Sarkisian and Brent Venables.

There is publicity this morning from Austin that Sark is getting a new contract.  If DeBoer is meeting with the Dub AD it is just another example of Sexton leveraging an opening for more client money.

For Sexton, Christmas comes after December 25.

At this point Norvell has the biggest motive to want the job. FSU just got sanctioned yesterday for recruiting violations. That combined with being stuck in the ACC...I'd have to think he wants out of there.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 1/12/2024 at 9:33 AM, Solar said:

At this point Norvell has the biggest motive to want the job. FSU just got sanctioned yesterday for recruiting violations.

This may be why Deboer leapfrogs Norvell.  Bama will not want to be associated with this. Nowhere near it.

• Thumbs Up 3

I am loving the anguish being shown on their message boards, and it reminds me that Fuskies are delusional:

"It's so ironic that by finally making the CFP championship game and moving to the Big 10 the UW job has moved from a top 25 job nationally to a borderline top 10; it just so happens at the same time a top 5 job just opened up.

Alabama, Ohio State, Michigan, Notre Dame, Texas, Georgia, USC are probably the only jobs that are clearly at a higher level than UW, but I think we're now in the next tier with Penn State, the Florida schools, Oregon, Clemson, and

probably a few more that I've missed. UW is closer to the top of the pyramid than it's been since Don James, but as long as we're not at the top there will always be bigger opportunities elsewhere."

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/12/2024 at 12:48 PM, ABNMoose said:

I am loving the anguish being shown on their message boards, and it reminds me that Fuskies are delusional:

"It's so ironic that by finally making the CFP championship game and moving to the Big 10 the UW job has moved from a top 25 job nationally to a borderline top 10; it just so happens at the same time a top 5 job just opened up.

Alabama, Ohio State, Michigan, Notre Dame, Texas, Georgia, USC are probably the only jobs that are clearly at a higher level than UW, but I think we're now in the next tier with Penn State, the Florida schools, Oregon, Clemson, and

probably a few more that I've missed. UW is closer to the top of the pyramid than it's been since Don James, but as long as we're not at the top there will always be bigger opportunities elsewhere."

Thanks for the post. I see this as a rationale POV. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Bring back Jimmy Lake!

• Haha 2
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

It’s DeBoer or bust for Bama.

WWW.ESPN.COM

Texas' Steve Sarkisian and Florida State's Mike Norvell reaffirmed their commitments to their current schools on social media on Friday after being linked to Alabama's high-profile vacancy.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 1/12/2024 at 9:48 AM, ABNMoose said:

I don't necessarily disagree with that rationale from the UW fans.  I think it's a very good job, especially now that it's in the B10.  It isn't a top 10 job and it's below Oregon, I think if you can get the right coach there, you have the potential for a perennial winner.  Big alumni base, decent donor base, gorgeous campus, good facilities, big stadium, located in a big city.

In the B10 I would put it below OSU, Michigan, Oregon, but I don't think it's that far from being at the level of Penn St. or USC.  Penn St. hasn't really pushed on into an elite tier, they've been in that pattern of being good enough to beat the dross, but not having any signature wins, USC is just weird at this point, you don't have good facilities, you don't have a great fan base who is committed to winning, you do have location (but that doesn't always correlate to football now), and you have the allure of USC,  

All fans I think put their job a bit higher than it actually is, so I think UW fans are probably right in that it's a job that is probably a lot more attractive since DeBoer got there in the short two year frame.

I'll be very interested to see who they can get if DeBoer leaves.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

ON their short list of coaches to replace deboar should be. Ty Willingham, keith gilbertson or jimmie lake.

• Haha 4
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

What a wonderful turn of events from less than a week ago. When UW kicked off to Michigan they were on top of the football world. Who knew that Michigan taking that opening drive to the house would spell the beginning of the end. Poof, Cinderella’s carriage turn back into a pumpkin!

Edited by Chas Man
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 1/12/2024 at 10:33 AM, Duckluv said:

ON their short list of coaches to replace deboar should be. Ty Willingham, keith gilbertson or jimmie lake

You forgot Rick Neuheisel...

• Haha 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

No idea who "source" is but saying Deboer is negotiating with Bama.

Edited by Ktmguy2018
  • Thumbs Up 1

He is negotiating now.   It's getting real.  Might be official before the snowmageddon hits NW Oregon...

WWW.ON3.COM

Washington head coach Kalen DeBoer has apparently emerged as the top pick to replace Nick Saban at Alabama. According to an ESPN report on Friday afternoon, DeBoer is in the process of...

😂

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I am getting a little too much enjoyment from this:

Screenshot_20240112-112659.png.b1ddc32179a3c09f1ed0fa276f2ee9e1.png

• Haha 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I keep snorting coffee out my nose... Please make it sto... ! Nope !

This world needs more comic relief!

• Haha 4
  • Thumbs Up 1

This one made me laugh!!!Screenshot_20240112-113514.thumb.png.258ac9f9ad0abe4d102a4fe79e6857a0.png

• Wow 1
  • Haha 5
  • Thumbs Up 1

There's A Clear No. 1 Candidate At Alabama Right Now

The search for Alabama's next head football coach continues, even as several top names have taken their names out of consideration.

Florida State's Mike Norvell and Texas' Steve Sarkisian are set to receive lucrative contract extensions at their current schools, while Oregon's Dan Lanning says he has no desire to leave the Ducks.

The dwindling options have made it clear that Alabama has one target in mind for the job: Washington head coach Kalen DeBoer.

DeBoer is he highest profile coach remaining that could consider a move to Alabama.

western-kentucky-v-alabama.webp

https://thespun.com/college-football/theres-a-clear-no-1-candidate-at-alabama-right-now

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/12/2024 at 11:25 AM, DuckFan93 said:

He is negotiating now.   It's getting real.  Might be official before the snowmageddon hits NW Oregon...

Might be official before lunch time.

• Mic drop 2
  • Great post! 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

This makes me so sad, NOT

• Haha 1

DeBoer is going to be dangerous at Bama for a couple years at the very least... he gets a good roster out of Bama. But he will need to continue to build that roster and he hasn't shown that yet. 

DeBoer is going to be hard to replace. However, as much as I hate to say it, he’s probably going to be replaced by a pretty good coach. Washington is an attractive job and since they offered DeBoer $8.4M to stay they have the money.

• Thumbs Up 1

What I find rather fascinating is that there were husky fans who mocked how DL chose to announce he was staying.

But, all of them wanted Deboer to do EXACTLY what DL did, say that he wasn't going anywhere and he WANTED to be here.

Now, that is popping up on the fan boards...UW sees themselves as a stepping stone job and they are saying Oregon no longer is because "their coach wants to be there".

One poster even called Oregon "elite"....I about fell over!!

• Wow 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

It’s official per UDub AD Troy Dannen.  Team meeting set for 1:30pm.  

King County 911 dispatch is on full alert in anticipation of an incoming call from Softy Mahler’s residence.  

Edited by Tjack
  • Haha 2

So who would replace DeBoer at Washington? Grubbs? Kingsbury? Who else?

On 1/12/2024 at 3:35 PM, crazyjeff said:

So who would replace DeBoer at Washington? Grubbs? Kingsbury? Who else?

I think Grubb goes with him. He will have an opportunity at a championship and then the HC offers will flow in. I think Kellen Moore is somebody to look out for. Then there is always Urban Meyer. His reputation could use a cleansing and uw is relatively stress free.

Oh man, the Fusky fans on their forums turned on DeBoer REAL fast.

Josh Wilcox used to coach the Fuskies defense, so they could always go after him to “stick it to the Ducks”.

• Haha 2

On 1/12/2024 at 12:40 PM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

I think Grubb goes with him. He will have an opportunity at a championship and then the HC offers will flow in. I think Kellen Moore is somebody to look out for. Then there is always Urban Meyer. His reputation could use a cleansing and uw is relatively stress free.

I agree. UW fans are calling for Jedd Fisch, who I think probably has better long term upside than Deboer, and he can bring his staff Noah Fifita with him.

Frankly I think Alabama would have been better of with Fisch or the Missouri coach. Both can recruit, put together a staff a coach the game.

• Thumbs Up 1

Up here in kennel country, my street is about an 80%-20% mix of Husky to Coug fans. I’m the only Duck. Those first two days following Saint Saban’s announcement were gut wrenching - to put it mildly. Now, with the shoe on the other foot, pure pleasure walking around the neighborhood.

• Haha 4
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 1/12/2024 at 3:46 PM, Solar said:

I agree. UW fans are calling for Jedd Fisch, who I think probably has better long term upside than Deboer, and he can bring his staff Noah Fifita with him.

Frankly I think Alabama would have been better of with Fisch or the Missouri coach. Both can recruit, put together a staff a coach the game.

Fisch is a good coach but very poachable. If he has much more success the NFL is going to snatch him up because of his experience in the league. He has ties to Harbaugh and Michigan as well.

Duck fans react to news that Washington's Kalen DeBoer is leaving for Alabama job

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Oregon Duck fans celebrated at the news that Washington Huskies’ head coach Kalen DeBoer was leaving Seattle for the Alabama Crimson Tide.

Just enjoy the moment… image.png.43e70418abd8f3dcb5b43a04996c5b3d.png

• Haha 2

Go get him. Then bury him on the depth chart. Actually, we could probably use him.

This is TERRIBLE News!  The poor Husky fans...

Makes me so SAD for them....

giphy.gif

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

I wonder if DeBoer is going to recruit any of his former fuskie players from the “transfer portal” the same way Riley did with his former sooner players.