Charles Fischer

AFC Final: Baltimore or Kansas City?

We'll discuss the NFC final in a thread tomorrow, but I thought I'd start a discussion about the AFC Final between the Ravens and the Chiefs.  Who do YOU like, and think will win and why?

In the spirit of supporting the underdog...I want this to be Lamar Jackson's game, with all that has been written about him.  I like KC, but the drama of their star tight end and a pop star is a bit much, and they've won plenty in recent years.

That Baltimore defense is something to behold, but I must admit--I do not watch much NFL at all, especially when Justin Herbert is not playing.  Generally, last weekend, this weekend, and the Super Bowl are the only full NFL games (outside of of Herbert) that I'll watch.

So for those of you who know these teams--I'd love your thoughts on who will win and why.

image.png

Mr. FishDuck

Kansas City because Lanning likes Andy Reid, and success by Reid can teach Lanning to be a better coach. We learn from those we respect, and Lanning respects Reid.

Any other reason doesn't matter to me, not interested in these two teams, just being honest.

• Thumbs Up 2

I am just rooting for Anthony Brown to get to play, LOL.   

• Cool 1

KC only because my wife has a bet on them she made at Eldorado sports book last summer.

• Thumbs Up 1

I’m pulling for the Ravens……and I think they’ll win, with the home field advantage, and Lamar (even against Mahomes) being the difference.

Plus, it could possibly set up a rematch against the Niners in the Super Bowl.

Baltimore.  Elite Defense at home with Lamar Jackson doing well....Lamar Jackson.  Really want to see a San Francisco/Baltimore SuperBowl Rematch.

Besides Kansas City will be back in the SuperBowl next year (IF ⚡'s aren't reborn under a new coaching regime) with their new "superstar" rookie receiver and Mahones new Favorite target.  Tony Franklin.  Oh Yeah!  😎

Baltimore.

Ravens. I'm not going against that defense and I believe Taylor and her Swifties will be on the road and not in the City of Edgar Allan Poe to rejuvenate the Kelce who keeps his shirt on; at least, in public.

Hey Bro, pass me a beer! 

Also, I'm looking at Sherman Tank in a uniform, Penei Sewell, and a legion of long-lost Lions to win in Santa Clara. It won't be Purdy but By-Goff if Jared doesn't return to his college stomping grounds for a win and a trip not to Disney World; but, instead to the Adult Disney World, Las Vegas. 

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Applause 1

Chiefs. Because they're not Baltimore. WFT fan: loathe the Ravens.

Preview: Lions.... The undercats... WFT fan: loathe the Niners. 

I want Baltimore... ONLY because I do not want the cameras flashing to the box seats during the Super Bowl to show Miss Swift and Mrs. Mahone's faces every thirty seconds. Worst thing that ever happened to football.

• Haha 2
  • Applause 1

On 1/24/2024 at 12:15 PM, DUCati855 said:

Worst thing that ever happened to football.

NFS

Ravens have been the best team in pro football for many weeks. They should win, but the Chiefs pull out some games they shouldn't win (kind of like the '23 Huskies -- another reason to root for Baltimore!)

• Thumbs Up 2

Personally, I think there's a lotta things wrong with pro football, too many to iterate.

I record red zone during the regular season and fast forward to things I care about: WFT and the Chargers. Or if something terrible is happening to the Cowboys, see schadenfreude!

And playoffs, maybe parts of some close games (record some games and monitor on various sports sites). I think I've only watched the Lions (see Penei pancake somebody. That dude is cream!) for the 2nd half. Bits and pieces elsewhere.

Who knows if I'll watch the super bowl? Literally, I don't much care if the WFT or the Chargers aren't playing. Or to check on the Cowboys getting snuffed. 🤗

Taylor Swift is just another moment to fast forward through. That being said, who am I to care whether another young person watches the game just to catch a glimpse? Swiftys are as innocuous as little pony fans: truly their thing not mine.

But better that than stealing cars, shooting innocent bystanders, storming government facilities, plowing into crowds of peaceful protesters, glorifying swastikas, senseless violence.... The world is full of things way more worrisome than Taylor Swift. 

Which ever team has a Duck on the roster!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/26/2024 at 8:46 AM, criticalduck said:

Which ever team has a Duck on the roster!

If this article is correct, then your only option would be rooting for Malaesala Aumavae-Laulu on the Ravens.

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

NFL fans watching the postseason is going to see many ProDucks trying to go to the Super Bowl.

• Applause 1

Lived in B-more too long to root for anyone but the Ravens. 

I'm sure Andy Reid will have some tricks up his sleeve, but so will Harbaugh, along with some of the best half time adjustments around.

Gotta go with the Ravens and that defense. The Baltimore LBs will take away the Chiefs' running game and all-world LB Roquan Smith will not allow Mahomes to wander too long looking for receivers if Ro is in spy mode.

Also, two-time Natty winner OC Todd Monken has rejuvenated that Raven offense (and Lamar Jackson) since coming over from Georgia this season. I suspected that would happen and, more importantly, so did Harbaugh.

My money is on the Ravens. Hope I don’t jinx them.

I find it hard to ever root for a team wearing purple!

KC is the only one of the four finalists without a Duck on the squad. I'm Quacking with the Ravens.

BTW, John Harbaugh is another coach who played at the 'Cradle of Coaches,' Miami of Ohio. A DB, he was the scholar-athlete of the team his senior season. He spent a few seasons as an assistant coach for KC's Andy Reid. JH has a master's degree from W Michigan. 

If it comes down to a FG, Baltimore's Tucker who played at Texas is The Man. Tucker has the longest FG in NFL history. 

So far the KC defense is better by far and oh by the way Mahomes is the best qb in football and he is showing it.

Long way to go however but I my bet is not looking good.

How about both starting RBs coming out of Rutgers?

Never seen a secondary get away with as much holding and pass interference in my life.

We thought pack 12 referees were bad.

Jackson does not equal Mahomes.

#15 to #87 is a win! 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 1/24/2024 at 12:15 PM, DUCati855 said:

I want Baltimore... ONLY because I do not want the cameras flashing to the box seats during the Super Bowl to show Miss Swift and Mrs. Mahone's faces every thirty seconds. Worst thing that ever happened to football.

Aw, I like seeing Taylor in the box seats at Chief's games. 🙂

• Oh no! 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/27/2024 at 10:12 PM, Nevada Dawg said:

Gotta go with the Ravens and that defense. The Baltimore LBs will take away the Chiefs' running game and all-world LB Roquan Smith will not allow Mahomes to wander too long looking for receivers if Ro is in spy mode.

Also, two-time Natty winner OC Todd Monken has rejuvenated that Raven offense (and Lamar Jackson) since coming over from Georgia this season. I suspected that would happen and, more importantly, so did Harbaugh.

Well I am not in the habit of calling out my dumb predictions, but I blew it on this game. Not only were the Chiefs able to run effectively enough to keep the Ravens off balance, but the Ravens patrons are all over OC Monken for giving up early on the run game when he had the best running offense in the AFC. Sometimes games just don't go as you had expected.

On the other hand, I did call at the half the turn around shown by in the second half by the Niners, I texted my fervent Niners fans at the half that I remembered as an 11-year old a game when the Niners were ahead of the Lions 24-7 at the half and managed to lose the game, thus keeping them out of the NFL Championship game. Perhaps they could flip the script 67 years later and give some payback to those dreaded cats. TBH I was skeptical and Coach Shanahan is known for blowing Super Bowls, once as OC in Atlanta in 2017, and again a few years back as HC of these same Niners. But damned if the script didn't get flipped almost exactly from the 1957 game.

Now a couple of these friends think that I am somewhat of a profound football sage and I'm certainly not going them  think otherwise. 

• Thumbs Up 1