Charles Fischer

Ducks Are the 2024 Pac-12 Tournament Champion 75-68!

Going to the dance! The last official basketball game between two Pac-12 teams ends with Oregon winning it!

More coming--give us your thoughts below!

• Thanks 1
  • Great post! 2
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 2

Mr. FishDuck

On 3/16/2024 at 8:29 AM, Charles Fischer said:

On another site, there was conjecture about a former Oregon coach on the sidelines who assisted Altman in the past, and last night Oregon was switching defenses like when he was in Eugene.  Makes you wonder...

There are some coach pairings that just make magic together. Here's hoping we get a duo that gave Oregon a lot of incredible teams is reunited. 

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

HOW TO WATCH OREGON DUCKS vs. COLORADO

When: Saturday, March 16 at 6 p.m. PT/9 p.m. ET (7 p.m. MST)

Where: T-Mobile Arena | Las Vegas, Nevada

TV channel: FOX (KPTV-12 in Portland)

How to watch live stream online: You can watch this game live for FREE with Fubo (free trial), or with Sling (promotional offers, cheapest streaming plans) if you are out of Fubo trials, or simply prefer that platform and their pricing plans. you can also watch this game live on Fox Sports Live with your cable or satellite provider login information.

Find out more about which channel FOX is on in your area by using the channel finders here: Verizon Fios, AT&T U-verse, Comcast Xfinity, Spectrum/Charter, Optimum/Altice,DIRECTV and Dish.

WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

Two teams that knocked off ranked opponents will now face off in the 2024 Pac-12 championship title game tonight.

• Thanks 1

Most of the pundits say Oregon HAS to win to qualify for the NCAA Tournament.  And say, Colorado is a last four in, first four out, type if the Buffs lose.  Colorado will play to avoid a first four out status.  I wonder how much Oregon has left in the tank after Friday's comeback effort?

History of Boyle vs Altman:

3-1 in Pac12 tourney

9-1 in Boulder

3-8 in Eugene

Both are the longest tenured current coaches in the conference.  Both 14 seasons.  Altman has a better overall record but Boyle has the head-to-head record.

Next year it is off to the Big12 and BigTen.  Hope Altman can get one more vs Boyle, just as he did against Zona.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Oregon looks for second straight upset and NCAA Tournament bid in Pac-12 Championship

The Oregon men's basketball program is one of just two programs left standing in the Pac-12 Championship Game after beating No. 1 seed Arizona on Friday night in the league's semifinals.

A win on Saturday against No. 3 seed Colorado and the Ducks will punch their ticket into the NCAA Tournament, a development few people outside of the Oregon locker room thought was possible three days ago.

"Job's not done," said Oregon senior Jermaine Couisnard in the locker room following the win against Arizona.

247SPORTS.COM

The Ducks will play for the Pac-12 Tournament Championship game on Saturday night.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

It COULD HAPPEN!!  GO DUCKS!!!!

• Applause 1

I’ll be pulling for you Ducks!!!  I can’t wait!!!  

GO DUCKS!!!

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 1

• Salute 1
  • Applause 1

Just wondering if you guys could help me out.  Are there any particular matchups I should be looking for in this game?  Also, who are the expected difference makers in this game?  I’ve watched Oregon a bit but not enough to know the team well.  I know almost nothing of Colorado except stat lines and highlight reels.

Any insight will be appreciated.  Thanks and

GO DUCKS!!!

On 3/16/2024 at 7:13 PM, SoGaDawg said:

Just wondering if you guys could help me out.  Are there any particular matchups I should be looking for in this game?  Also, who are the expected difference makers in this game?  I’ve watched Oregon a bit but not enough to know the team well.  I know almost nothing of Colorado except stat lines and highlight reels.

Any insight will be appreciated.  Thanks and

GO DUCKS!!!

CU is -2.5. CU is 2-0 against the Ducks this season. I believe that Altman will come up with a terrific game plan tonight. CU could be In with a loss tonight. Oregon has to win to go dancing. I'll leave it to CBB fans with better knowledge about the team to point out key matchups. I note that UO, Shelstad, and CU's Cody Williams both made the Pac-12 All-Frosh team.

Will the stamina be there for the Ducks, particularly in the 2nd half? Arizona wilted last night in the 2nd half which I did not think would happen. 

• Thanks 1

It looked for a minute like this one might get away, but the Ducks woke up and closed the half strong!  Really good game!  

Gotta keep Dante on the floor 

• Applause 1

Incredible! What a game!!!  N’faly Dante is the man!!!  Dude is ridiculous!

Congrats Ducks!!!  Good luck in the Tournament!  I’ll be pulling for you guys!

GO DUCKS!!!

• Salute 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Looks like they punched that ticket. Ducks 75-68. And they couldn't buy a 3 point shot. Just bada** defense and Dante not missing a shot

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Let's Go Dancing! Wow! Hats off to Dana Altman, the coaches, the players, and the Oregon fans who traveled to LV.

• Cool 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Oh My Goodness..    Go Ducks!   Can't shoot but have N Faly Dante!!!!!!!

What a game, rebounding defense and 2 pointers--Dante what a beast!! GO DUCKS!!!! WOOT!!!!!!!

• Mic drop 1

Oregon beats Colorado in the Pac-12 Tournament Championship to punch their NCAA Tournament ticket

The Oregon Ducks are going dancing as they pull off the upset win in the Pac-12 Tournament Championship game.

The Oregon men's basketball program has punched their ticket to the big dance and did it in a way very few people saw coming. The No. 4 seeded Ducks beat the Colorado Buffaloes in the Saturday night Pac-12 Tournament Championship Game 75-68 to cap off an impressive three-game stretch of basketball.

All that awaits the Ducks on Sunday will be where they'll be sent off for their first trip back into the tournament since the 2020-21 basketball season.

Oregon senior center N'Faly Dante continued to pace the Oregon program on both ends of the floor as he gave a dominant performance Saturday night. The 6-foot-11 big man will play in his first NCAA Tournament after leading the Ducks with 25 points on 12-of-12 shooting, nine rebounds, three steals, and one block.

247SPORTS.COM

The Oregon Ducks are going dancing as they pull off the upset win in the Pac-12 Tournament Championship game.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Dante was magnificent!

• Wow 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 2

I have to say I struggle with the way Altman never seems happy but he's one frickin great coach!

My brother is an avid Arizona fan and absolutely hates the Ducks(which of course I have a lot of fun with).  I was trying to talk to him after game game last night.  He was disappointed the cats couldn't make shots and blamed the players.  Altman's in game adjustments create so much confusion for opposing teams and causes those missed shots imo.

Altman knew the ducks got blown out twice trying to run with a more talented Arizona team so he slowed the game down and completely made a mess for Arizona last night (and Colorado tonight).  While I think Boyle coached a great game, he just lost,  Floyd got completely out coached and couldn't figure out how to fix it.  A simple press might've helped but he didn't.  That's on Altman!  Whatever he does behind the scenes that puts a team with multiple injuries year in and year out in the think of it every year is very admirable, almost magical!

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

image.gif.76ecfaba6dec2377819c869f4791691d.gif image.gif.76386d2bc87e53c71dfde2ed893c2a0e.gif image.gif.eed385246e2316b5282903c4f2c16273.gif

• Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 3

Last 3 minutes Oregon didn't attempt a 3pt shot. Would have loved to have been a fly on the clipboard at the TOs. DA harping on everyone,  "Guys, the 3 ain't falling. Get inside, feed N'Faly, get in the paint and make 'em foul. Play the defense you know how to play and don't give them clean looks behind the arc. Make those free throws. Anyone jacking up a trey gets to walk home."

• Salute 1
  • Haha 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Winners never quit. Despite many obstacles and setbacks these Ducks fought gallantly to win.

Credits go to Dante, Cousinard, and Shelstad with the supporting team.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 3/16/2024 at 9:00 PM, JabbaNoBargain said:

Dante was magnificent!

Actually, he was better than magnificent. He was absolutely perfect. 12-12 & 1-1.

Plus, there was only one block in the entire game... and, of course, that was Dante coming to the 3 point line at the end of game to slap that three-point attempt... only followed by him saving it from going out of bounds, while passing it to his teammate to seal the game.

Edited by Desert Duck
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 5
  • Like 1

That's the best performance by an Oregon center in a looooooonnnnggggg time.  Tell me we should be thinking about moving on from Altman now!   

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Buffs shot 33% from the 3. We shot 12%.

They hit 91% of their FT's (21-23). We hit 71%.

Rebounds were fairly close... Buffs 35 - Ducks 31. 

Looking at those stats, I was trying to figure out how we won this game... and it was all Defense (and of course, Dante).

We destroyed them on steals 10 to 1, and TO's 13 to 3. Plus, Dante was a beast on altered shots.

I doubt there are many teams that are going to want to face us in the first round.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

So great to win THE LAST Pac12 tournament!  Champs!

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 3/16/2024 at 9:29 PM, Desert Duck said:

I doubt there are many teams that are going to want to face us in the first round.

I would disagree except for this one reason...we have a coach who knows how to coach in the tournament.  I would actually think a lot of teams would like to play a team that relies on a center who isn't an outstanding playmaker.  Dante isn't bad at distributing but it's not like he's a passing wizard.  We haven't shown a lot of shooting the last 5 or so weeks, we don't hit free throws, we aren't very long or super athletic, and we don't have much coming off the bench now, we have a LOT of flaws.

On paper we are very beatable, but we do have a history of pulling off upsets in the tournament with teams that others don't see as that dangerous, we did it when we had guys like Kazemi and EJ Singler, or being led in points by Lou King, not exactly the most scary looking teams, but we have a coach who knows how to win in a tourney situation.  So we have a chance, we'll have to shoot it better than we have, but we have a chance to get a win or two.

Edited by spartan2785
  • Thumbs Up 1

Dante's performance tonight truly reminded me of shades of Bill Walton in his playing days at UCLA -- with the exception of Bill's freaky-amazing passing ability. 

Tonight, Dante's performance was a thing of beauty. Plus, his story of perseverance is incredible & inspirational. 

Edited by Desert Duck
  • Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

What an incredible game and tournament for the Ducks. I love their effort, they always keep fighting. Earlier in the season I saw glimpses of this team. The would play good defense for short periods of time but never sustain it. Their shooting has always been erratic. I knew if they could put it all together they could play like this. Kudos to them for believing in themselves. Dante is a tremendous player and I will really miss him.

He loves his teammates and being a duck. Even when he was hurt his first two years he was the team's best cheerleader. He is a special human being. The last two games were a total team effort and I am so happy for them. I hope they can win a game or two in the tournament.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 2

23 wins and tournament champs, 7-10 seed?  

On 3/16/2024 at 10:01 PM, TFITZ81 said:

23 wins and tournament champs, 7-10 seed?  

Nah, we weren't even getting in before this, we'll be a 12 seed at best.

That was amazing, especially since I went to Vegas with 11 Arizona fans.  They did show up tonight to cheer on the Ducks with me. 

I have been to the PAC-12 tourney 4 times and all 4 times Oregon won the whole thing. 13-0 in Vegas when I was in the stands.  I think I better book my trip to the BIG tourney right now. 

I don’t bet much, but decided to do a parley card with Illinois, NC State, Oregon, and Iowa State. That worked out okay. 

What a night!!!  

• Wow 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Dana Altman said he’s not done yet! That is clearly the case! Best coach in UO Basketball 🏀 History! Never won fewer than 20 games in a season at UO and to think when he was hired, people were upset that Mark Few wasn’t able to be pulled away from Gonzaga. I’d say it worked out pretty well, eh!

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Altman is a coach who conjures greatness from his players. It may take a while, but like clockwork he creates magic on the hardwood as the season progresses. 

Let's hope the magic isn't over and he can put up a deep run. It will take free throw shooting and some long ball luck, but that can happen, anything can happen in March!

Another trip to Arizona would be an amazing end to Dante's career at Oregon, and and equally awesome start to Shelstad's. Can both of these players take another step up, stay tuned!

• Thumbs Up 1

I am happy for the players and coaches. Considering the injury situation, this was a considerable achievement. 

I share Coach Altman's regret and nostalgia about the end of the league. However, winning the last Pac-12 tournament was satisfying. What a wonderful ending!

Regarding Oregon's prospects in the NCAA tournament, a few random thoughts. 

1. Few teams will be able to match up with Dante, especially in the early rounds. 

2. However, I wonder what will happen if opponents simply collapse around Dante, perhaps in a zone, challenging Oregon to beat them from the outside. At present, Oregon has no consistent shooter from 3-point range. Shelstad comes close, he has had off nights. 

3. As Coach Altman and Tommy Lloyd both noted, Oregon's defense was much improved. They got their hands on many passes in both games, leading to TOs, which were the difference, especially against the Buffs. 

4. Guard play matters, especially in the NCAA. Cousinard did not shoot it well last night, but he was superb in setting up Dante. 

• Applause 2

Loved how Altman looked so happy for his players and pretty much let them take the spotlight after the game. 🙂 🥰

• Thumbs Up 3

On 3/16/2024 at 11:29 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

What a game, rebounding defense and 2 pointers--Dante what a beast!! GO DUCKS!!!! WOOT!!!!!!!

Dante! And the 7th Circle of Heaven? Inferno for UCLA, Arizona, and Colorado.

1-0 vs the B1G. 2-0 vs the B12. Dancing with Dana.

So hard to beat a team three times in one year...maybe we should play Washington in football again?

Mr. FishDuck

While I don't have any idea how they'll do in the tournament. It's all a plus. Two weeks ago, I saw First Four as a real possibility .

• Thumbs Up 1

What a great game. Dante had one of the best must win games in Duck history.

That block the three then chase down the ball then save it inbounds to a team mate play at the end was the most impressive thing I’ve seen a center do.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

On 3/16/2024 at 11:29 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

Dante! And the 7th Circle of Heaven? Inferno for UCLA, Arizona, and Colorado.

1-0 vs the B1G. 2-0 vs the B12. Dancing with Dana.

UW. Autzen Stadium - 11/30/24. Here's to Danno getting the Husky off of his back.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 3/16/2024 at 10:03 PM, spartan2785 said:

Nah, we weren't even getting in before this, we'll be a 12 seed at best.

12 seed would be great, much rather be 12 than 7-10. Most 5 seeds really aren’t that scary and then if you beat them, you take over their path in the bracket. 13 or 14 seed is probably actually even more of an advantage this year, pretty level field.

Edited by JabbaNoBargain

Photos from Oregon's Pac-12 Tournament championship victory over Colorado

Here are a set of photos from Oregon's 75-68 Pac-12 Tournament title win over the Colorado Buffaloes on Saturday night.

247SPORTS.COM

Here are a set of photos from Oregon's 75-68 Pac-12 Tournament title win over the Colorado Buffaloes on Saturday night.