Charles Fischer

Holy Crap! Look at What Oregon's Projected Team Weakness Is...

I NEVER thought I'd ever see the day...

Nothing?  Whew!

• Go Ducks! 3
  • Wow 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 4

Mr. FishDuck

Wow!  Me neither!

Only team without a weakness?  

Question for our Georgia friends:  Is Georgia’s D-Line really a weakness?

Chuckled when I saw the Buckeyes’ weakness. 

Go Ducks!!!

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Well with all the recruiting successes D. Lanning and company have been able to achieve, it's good to know that they are still just human, and have their "shortcomings".

Not sure what the "nothing" position group all entails, but I'm confident that through the portal, or more HS recruiting, D. Lanning and company are ON IT, and will more than satisfy the needs at that "nothing" position group! 😋

Go Ducks!  👍

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Haha 1
  • Mic drop 1
  • Applause 1
  • Like 1

On 8/2/2024 at 9:23 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Nothing?  Whew!

ewe dub: let us count the ways.  Oh, they did "everything"

• Haha 1

On 8/2/2024 at 11:34 AM, Autzen Magic said:

Same here. Check out Vanderbilt’s…

• Haha 1
  • Like 1

If you had to pick one weakness for Oregon, what would you choose and why?

Edited by OregonDucks

SUC: Defense

Ouch.

On 8/2/2024 at 10:17 AM, OregonDucks said:

you had to pick one weakness for Oregon, what would you choose and why?

No Conference or National Titles under Dan Lanning's, short, tenure at Oregon.

A "weakness" I optimistically expect to be addressed over the next six months!

🦆🏈🪨's

• Like 1

Wow! 

Beavis has a generous assessment, they have far bigger fish to fry than HB.

Our biggest weakness is dropping a home game to gift a game on the road to Beavis.

Edited by JabbaNoBargain
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/2/2024 at 10:17 AM, OregonDucks said:

If you had to pick one weakness for Oregon, what would you choose and why?

Inexperience as a Head Coach....

Take the Damn Points!

(It's been awhile since I wrote that)

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Haha 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

Yeesh!!

To reference Nick Saban . . . Don't drink that rat poison!!

Stay focused and hungry Ducks!

• Thumbs Up 1

Interesting that Wisconsin's weakness is listed as D-Line, they've historically been a very stout team in the trenches.  Maybe a reflection of Luke Fickell's influence?

Yikes, I would rather see my weakness than have it, unexpectedly, rear it's ugly head.

Wait, it's Friday, that is great news!

giphy.gif

I guess it's better to be Oregon than New Mexico this year. (Who could have known?)

I looked up Miami, half expecting to see "head coach".

• Haha 2
  • Mic drop 1

On 8/2/2024 at 12:34 PM, Autzen Magic said:

Wow!  Me neither!

Only team without a weakness?  

Question for our Georgia friends:  Is Georgia’s D-Line really a weakness?

Go Ducks!!!

I wouldn’t actually say that GA’s D-Line is a weakness, but there are reasons that it could be perceived as a weakness perhaps.  

In 2021 & 2022, during our championship runs, it seemed pretty obvious that the D-Line play was extremely good!  Maybe more instrumental to success than any other position group both seasons.  So when you compare those groups to our D-Line last season, it could certainly be seen as a down year for our defense in the trenches.  Also, if you combine this with the fact that we lost to Bama in the SEC Championship largely, IMO, bc we failed to get a stop on Bama’s final drive it stresses that our line wasn’t what it had been.  Bama ran the ball and ran out the clock and we couldn’t stop them!  

We will see about this season.  Stackhouse and Brinson decided to return instead of enter the draft so that is a plus for us, especially from a depth and leadership standpoint.  We also have some great talent in some of our young guys that could potentially take big leaps this season!  We added Xzavier McCloud through the portal which should definitely help.  I  also think that our pass rush will be much improved this season.

So IMO our D-line will not be a weakness, but there is also no guarantee that it will closely resemble the D-Lines we fielded in 21& 22.  Although we have depth, staying healthy will also have a big impact.  

Like so many teams, our success will likely depend on how dominant we can be in the trenches.  If we can push people around and not get pushed around, this GA team will be extremely tough to beat.  I’m excited to find out.  Our schedule is brutal though, so if our D-Line is a weakness, we will likely find out sooner rather than later.  I have hopes that we have big time talents that are going to step up.  

Edited by SoGaDawg
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

No matter the team, compared to the Steeler's Steel Curtain D, your D line is weaker than a 97 pound weakling!

Bill Connolly had to come up with something or Georgia fans might start believing they have a half-decent 😁program?

On 8/2/2024 at 9:01 PM, Jon Sousa said:

I guess it's better to be Oregon than New Mexico this year. (Who could have known?)

I did the same thing LOL!!

I guess at least we know who is going to be blamed for the odd timeout before the first play. 

I guess it'll probably also be the secondary's fault that they had to run the same failed 4th & 1 play for the third time in a row...

Hahahaha!!!!

Go Ducks!!

OlCodgerDuck

• Thumbs Up 1

I was going to say... 

We care too much and work too hard.

But nothing is fine too. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/2/2024 at 11:01 PM, Jon Sousa said:

Not “Victory” formation?

• Haha 2

No two deep inflatable puddles. 

• Applause 1

On 8/2/2024 at 10:49 PM, SoGaDawg said:

IMO our D-line will not be a weakness, but there is also no guarantee that it will closely resemble the D-Lines we fielded in 21& 22.  Although we have depth, staying healthy will also have a big impact.  

Like so many teams, our success will likely depend on how dominant we can be in the trenches.  If we can push people around and not get pushed around, this GA team will be extremely tough to beat.  I’m excited to find out.

Very tough to meet or exceed the performance of any position group of both those units.  They were simply an exceptional group of defenses.

That said, my take is perception.  Bama "pierced the bubble" so to speak.  Jalen Milroe played far better than expected last year, and that is probably why that's the perceived foible.

I've always thought SEC scheduling, and frankly the talent gap between the elite and the rest drives perception of the conference.  UGA will earn their chops this year.

But they are best suited to run the table in what I see is the first time the elite are going to have to really earn their stripes. The SEC did a great job with the schedule.  Party because this year the conference is has more really good teams  than they've had for quite awhile( my opinion of course).

Overall, the only champions I've seen compared to the 21' and 22' Champs are the 95 Nebraska team.  Your Dawgs were practically flawless.  It's unfair to compare the 24 team to those two.

• Thanks 1
  • Mic drop 1

On 8/2/2024 at 10:30 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Inexperience as a Head Coach....

Take the Damn Points!

(It's been awhile since I wrote that)

Yeah yeah yeah...

I'd take the points.  Hard to admit that now, and I really thought DL should have kicked the FG the first time.  

Question for you though: can you absolutely assure OBD would have won the game? If so, I'll call you mid game a lot this year, we can make a ton of money - I'm in Vegas after all.

Washington was lights out all day, and FGs didn't feel like they were going to cut it based on what the Fuskies were doing ( and guess what - they didn't kick a FG all game - and they ran a fourth down on their own 35 because frankly- they felt the exact same thing - TDs were the only option )

The game was about playing aggressively against an aggressive opponent.  

Not to mention, if you score 30 plus points a game, you're supposed to win the damn game.  Missed opportunities or not.  

Every pundit criticizes Lanning about those decisions.  Guess who every pundit is talking about among the elite coaches?

Bad decision Dan.  

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1

It's been a while, so the memory cells are not fresh, but didn't Chip forgo 2-3 FG attempts for going for it on 4th down in the national championship game against Auburn? It happens...

On 8/4/2024 at 8:32 AM, Mike West said:

Bad decision Dan.  

In regard to the end of the half in the first game, he admitted such in a recent interview.

On 8/4/2024 at 11:21 AM, Mike West said:

Very tough to meet or exceed the performance of any position group of both those units.  They were simply an exceptional group of defenses.

That said, my take is perception.  Bama "pierced the bubble" so to speak.  Jalen Milroe played far better than expected last year, and that is probably why that's the perceived foible.

I've always thought SEC scheduling, and frankly the talent gap between the elite and the rest drives perception of the conference.  UGA will earn their chops this year.

But they are best suited to run the table in what I see is the first time the elite are going to have to really earn their stripes. The SEC did a great job with the schedule.  Party because this year the conference is has more really good teams  than they've had for quite awhile( my opinion of course).

Overall, the only champions I've seen compared to the 21' and 22' Champs are the 95 Nebraska team.  Your Dawgs were practically flawless.  It's unfair to compare the 24 team to those two.

I agree with everything that you stated above.  It just makes sense, and is pretty much the way I am feeling about things.  

Yeah, the SEC might be very interesting this year.  We, UGA, are certainly going to have to earn things this season.  Our conference road schedule is seemingly going to be very tough!  Should make for some very good football though!  I honestly don’t expect any SEC team to go undefeated in the regular season.  

No matter the team, compared to the Steeler's Steel Curtain D, your D line is weaker than a 97 pound weakling!

Bill Connolly had to come up with something or Georgia fans might start believing they have a half-decent 😁program?

On 8/4/2024 at 11:32 AM, Mike West said:

Mike, Love you Brother but I believe the SEC did a terrible job with the conference schedule which, but for a venue change, will be repeated in 2025. Compare Florida's SEC schedule, the Gators also play three P4 opponents OOC, with Missouri. Compare Oklahoma's SEC schedule with Texas. Georgia has a much more difficult row to hoe than Ole Miss. This is far from a fair fight. 

The reason for the SEC's future conference schedule running only through 2025 is that the conference wants more money from ESPN before it adds a conference game. Georgia will play eight SEC games in 2024 and 2025 and will miss the same seven conference (association?) members in both seasons. The B1G schedules through 2028-29 assure that every B1G team will play every B1G opponent three times through 2028. Oregon plays both Michigan and Ohio State but misses both next season.

The B1G schedule is far from perfect. This season, Rutgers misses Michigan, Ohio State, Oregon, Penn State, and Iowa and plays UCLA and UW in Jersey. (Rutgers plays 3 Pac-12 newbies; OBD plays 2.) Compare Rutgers's conference slate to Purdue's. It isn't a fair fight.

The wide variance in conference schedules is endemic to Mega-Conferences playing only eight or nine conference games. A few teams will have a significant in-conference scheduling advantage every season. But to play the same conference schedule in back-to-back seasons in 2024 and 2025 is 'extra' unfair to the teams with the short end of the scheduling stick. I understand the stiff upper lip we don't care because 'we will overcome' POV but wait until your team reaps the short end of the scheduling shaft such as Oregon being the only P4 team this season playing eight conference games in a row without a break and traveling east for two games in November.

Power 4 fans had better study conference tiebreaker rules because tie-breakers for conference champ game purposes and bowl spots outside the playoff will be needed. IMO, all Power 4 conferences should play ten conference games with all having the same number of conference home and road games. But this will not happen before we see a Super Conference and a CFB Czar. 

Let's Play Ball!

• Thumbs Up 2

On 8/4/2024 at 9:24 AM, Steven A said:

In regard to the end of the half in the first game, he admitted such in a recent interview.

It totally made sense to kick the first FG.  

I was surprised he didn't.  I sure would have, and I thought that at the time.

From his perspective at the time? 

He watched his secondary get obliterated for six straight quarters at that point.  

The decision looks bad because they lost by three.  Wasn't looking like they'd lose by three at that moment did it?  I surely wasn't feeling like we'd stop them at all.  After watching six straight quarters of them destroying our defense.

Not to mention that played out all three games.  I think six quarters was enough info to truly consider going for six.  

That's why I don't question the call.  

Edited by Mike West

On 8/4/2024 at 8:32 AM, Mike West said:

Question for you though: can you absolutely assure OBD would have won the game?

Of course not.  But you are playing the high-percentages in your favor.  For example...we lost three games (including to Beavis in '22) where a field goal would have won the game.  I think THREE LOSSES out of the five Lanning has is pretty compelling "percentages" assertion.

But what do I know?  Just another opinion, and I love them all.  BTW Mike...nice of you to admit a change of heart on an issue.  This forum has changed my views on tons of topics too.

Oregon Football: Oregon Ducks lands transfer K Atticus Sappington

This transfer, Atticus Sappington, made 93% of his

field goals last year, and he transferred to us. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 8/4/2024 at 9:17 AM, Annie said:

It's been a while, so the memory cells are not fresh, but didn't Chip forgo 2-3 FG attempts for going for it on 4th down in the national championship game against Auburn? It happens...

Barner should have gone to the pylon_Video.jpg

This was NOT Chip's fault, as Barner made the wrong read,

and took on Nick Fairley. (Bad move) The perimeter was 

well blocked and open!  (Game-Changer!)

• Wow 1
  • Haha 1
  • Applause 2

Mr. FishDuck

Time, place and manner. Considering the previous, it’s only a bad play if you don’t make it.

• Thumbs Up 1