Just Ducky

Cam Ward Has Turned Miami Into a Contender...

Darn the luck. And looking at their schedule I can’t see any losses coming their way.

Did you miss seeing that they have Mario on their sidelines?

Mario will lose interest in the high flying offense, and force the OC to put handcuffs on Ward to play 3 yards and a cloud of dust against the lesser teams in conference, exposing his team to a loss or two.

It's like clockwork.

• Thumbs Up 1

I have faith...

Thanks to Miami Fans.jpg

Mr. FishDuck

(Where is the sarcasm font?)

Who would have thought, all it took to turn around two decades of struggles for Miami was getting last year's fifth best QB and third best RB from two teams that finished a combined 13-12 in that incapable old Pac-12?

🙂

Edited by AnotherOD
  • Applause 1

They haven't met any real competition yet and they really don't this season. 

Their best win is against a Florida team in shambles. 

Or against USF who aren't power 4. 

I wanted Oregon to sign Cam Ward before Dillon Gabriel became available. He’s a very talented QB.

• Thumbs Up 1

I do agree. Cam Ward not only is talented, but experienced. 

We know Mario can't develop a qb his only hope is to get a decent transfer. 

Miami will have to get by Clemson to win ACC, but could qualify for at large bid. They don't have a strong SOS so we will see how committee votes at season end.

Meanwhile, they will get generous rankings in weekly polls. That's the benefit of being an east coast team with a high ranking recruiting class.

We need to keep improving each week.

• Thumbs Up 1

The schedule, more than any of the players have made Miami a contender. Clemson used this plan and won championships. I don't see Mario and the U doing that. though it may take until the Playoffs for them to play anybody. 

MariØ isn't just the name of a coach, mariø is a verb. With MariØ as the coach, he will surely mariø a game, count on it.

images-9.jpeg

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Haha 2

On 9/22/2024 at 10:35 AM, OregonDucks said:

I wanted Oregon to sign Cam Ward before Dillon Gabriel became available. He’s a very talented QB.

Yep, I was on the Cam Train also.  The only concern with him was being mistake prone, but I felt it was well worth the risk and that the Oregon offensive structure would clean up most of that. That being said, it worked out fine with Gabriel.  Dillon is probably the safer choice, but Cam has the higher ceiling physically.

Don’t worry. There will be a (Mari Oh No! Did that actually just happen?) moment or two before the season is over. 

Same as it ever was.

Same as it ever was.

• Applause 1

I still have faith...in his innate abilities.

Cristobal.jpg

• Haha 1

Mr. FishDuck

Cam Ward can be turned into Tyler Shough. It just takes time. 

• Haha 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

Miami has been back about five times under the same number of coaches since their last dominant run, then they aren't. Notre Dame, USC and Texas are the same. Media would love a playoff with USC, Texas, Miami, Notre Dame, Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State, Michigan and all the regulars you hear about.

Oregon is starting to get some media love but are still new money. So until USC or Miami win a playoff game or two I don't believe they're back. Miami has such an easy road but they haven't won the ACC once. The mighty Hurricanes haven't won a conference title in twenty years. Wake Forest has.

Edited by Duckley Palace
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

we really need to worry about our own team guys...

besides, Id love to play them in a playoff game

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

What we are looking at, 4th week in the season......

Unknown-2.jpeg

I mean Justin Herbert made Oregon a playoff caliber team. 

They just couldn't get there because of some poor plays in some key games... vs Auburn and vs ASU. 

If it was a 12 team playoff the Ducks would have made it into the playoff that year. 

On 9/23/2024 at 3:00 PM, David Marsh said:

I mean Justin Herbert made Oregon a playoff caliber team. 

They just couldn't get there because of some poor plays in some key games... vs Auburn and vs ASU. 

If it was a 12 team playoff the Ducks would have made it into the playoff that year. 

Agree, this might be the same situation where there's enough talent to win the ACC *despite* Mario not because of him.  

• Thumbs Up 1

Three ACC teams are ranked and Clemson is not on the Canes regular season schedule. 

No. 15 Louisville +6.5, and friend Tyler Shough play at No. 16 Notre Dame on Saturday. Miami could play zero top-25 teams before possibly playing Clemson in the ACC champ game. Win the ACC and Miami will have a top 4 seed and a 1st-round bye. With an ACC champ game loss should a 12-1 Miami be an ipso facto at-large PO team over 11-1 and even 10-2 teams with more difficult schedules?

Cam hasn't been tested and may not be tested before the ACC title game. 

17 teams in the ACC and 8 conference games. The SEC has the resume to kind of justify 8 games. The ACC? 

• Wow 1

On 9/23/2024 at 3:28 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Three ACC teams are ranked and Clemson is not on the Canes regular season schedule. 

With an ACC champ game loss should a 12-1 Miami be an ipso facto at-large PO team over 11-1 and even 10-2 teams with more difficult schedules?

No. Aaron Fentress keeps saying he wants to see Miami & Oregon in a Playoff game on, "Talkin Ducks". If he wants to see that, he needs to get Madden. 

• Mic drop 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just saw this, an objective observation on the 'Canes so far.

Duke and Miami are both 4-0 overall without a conference game played yet. We expected Miami to be near the top of the conference. And with the four teams they have beaten having a combined record of 7-8, we have no idea if they get there or not.

• Applause 1

On 9/23/2024 at 9:40 PM, 30Duck said:

Just saw this, an objective observation on the 'Canes so far.

Duke and Miami are both 4-0 overall without a conference game played yet. We expected Miami to be near the top of the conference. And with the four teams they have beaten having a combined record of 7-8, we have no idea if they get there or not.

And after one bad half vs Georgia in Atlanta Clemson is kicking ACC butt. Miami's  'Big Win' is against FLORIDA, right?

On 9/23/2024 at 7:01 PM, Jon Joseph said:

And after one bad half vs Georgia in Atlanta Clemson is kicking ACC butt. Miami's  'Big Win' is against FLORIDA, right?

Miami is exposing the Polls for what they are. A loss to Georgia notwithstanding, Clemson has been more impressive, so has 4-0 Indiana. Another call that makes no sense: Herby calls Sherrone Moore, Michigan's head coach, Coach of the week?

As much fun as it's been pointing out Riley's shortcomings, Moore's great coaching move was understanding his team doesn't have a passing game and slogging the way to a win, with the help of a pick-6.

• Thanks 1

Well the Washington State transfer has proven to be better than the Oregon State one. Ugilove hasn't looked like the former five star QB going into Clemson. Maybe the dude at Michigan State is a better coach than most Beavis Fans want to admit to anymore.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/25/2024 at 12:31 AM, Duckley Palace said:

Well the Washington State transfer has proven to be better than the Oregon State one. Ugilove hasn't looked like the former five star QB going into Clemson. Maybe the dude at Michigan State is a better coach than most Beavis Fans want to admit to anymore.

But I am thrilled that DJU's younger brother is with OBD.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Hate to say it but I think Mario will find a way to mess things up unless SOMEONE really got thru to him and told him to keep his hands off things.

My experience has been that micro managers are always gonna micro manage so I will remain in wait and see mode.

I don't wish anything bad for him.

On 9/25/2024 at 9:28 AM, Augduck said:

I don't wish anything bad for him.

Mario, "taking his talents to Miami" has actually been a great thing for Oregon and its fans. No matter who the coach was they'd have the record they have now and it's ridiculous they're being praised for it and are heading towards the Playoffs. 

On 9/25/2024 at 11:28 AM, Augduck said:

Hate to say it but I think Mario will find a way to mess things up unless SOMEONE really got thru to him and told him to keep his hands off things.

LOL. It would be funny to see MC tied to a chair with a gag in his mouth, in a close game later this season…

image.jpeg.a9db63fb28a5a3973ca6079cc73e9f07.jpeg

#CoachingIntervention

• Haha 1
  • Applause 1

I am over my Mariø hate since we traded up.  Cam Ward may make his long-term regime imminent, but he is a once in a lifetime talent (see: Michael Penix) and will represent peak-Hurricane in the Cristobal era.

• Thumbs Up 1

Every now and then a coach happens into a transcendent QB who overshadows his shortcomings. Great coaches can ride a great QB to multiple championships (see Walsh, Landry, Noll, Belichik, et al). Outstanding coaches can win multiple championships with different QB’s (see Gibbs, Parcels and Seifert).

On 9/23/2024 at 11:13 PM, 30Duck said:

Miami is exposing the Polls for what they are. A loss to Georgia notwithstanding, Clemson has been more impressive, so has 4-0 Indiana. Another call that makes no sense: Herby calls Sherrone Moore, Michigan's head coach, Coach of the week?

As much fun as it's been pointing out Riley's shortcomings, Moore's great coaching move was understanding his team doesn't have a passing game and slogging the way to a win, with the help of a pick-6.

When you run the ball 42 times and are never called for holding, including an SC DL's jersey nearly being torn off on the game-clinching TD,  you're doing something right, right? 

15 Louisville at 16 Notre Dame on Saturday will let us know if the Canes will play a top-25 team in the regular season. Take a loss in South Bend and how far will Louisville, the only ranked team currently on Miami's schedule, will fall? Miami had a game outside of the normal ACC rota scheduled with the Domers that the Canes canceled. Clemson is not on Miami's 8-Game (SIGH) regular season conference schedule. 

3 of 17 ACC teams ranked and the winner of the ACC gets a top 4 seed and a first-round bye. The six ranked B1G teams, Ohio State, Oregon, Penn State, Michigan, USC, and Illinois with 9 conference games mostly play one another in the regular season. 

2026 will see changes made to the PO format. 

On 9/25/2024 at 5:24 PM, Jon Joseph said:

2026 will see changes made to the PO format. 

Please let that be, "It goes without saying."

• Let’s hope! 1

On 9/25/2024 at 5:24 PM, Jon Joseph said:

15 Louisville at 16 Notre Dame on Saturday will let us know if the Canes will play a top-25 team in the regular season.

Defending champ, Georgia, will play 5 of the top 6 teams.

• Wow 1
  • Applause 1

On 9/22/2024 at 11:08 AM, Just Ducky said:

Darn the luck. And looking at their schedule I can’t see any losses coming their way.

Nope... I feel the same way. I fear Mario will end up Mario'ing eventually. Ha! 

Cam Ward:  "Coach, we have the ball and they are out of time outs, let's just take a knee and get the dub"

Mario:  "Orrrrrrrr, we could do what they aren't expecting and use our physicality to run the ball one last time.  Yeah, let's use our physicality!"

Cam Ward:  "Coach, I've seen that blow-up on you twice!"

Mario: "Third time's a charm"

• Haha 2
  • Applause 1

30, great take on Georgia's schedule. A team may play only 8 conference games; however, when over half of your conference is ranked in the Coaches and AP Polls, you will play daunting schedules. 

3-1 A+M. Uncompetitive home loss to Notre Dame. Beat a bad 1-3 Florida team in Gainesville. Last Saturday, A+M defeated the MAC's Bowling Green at home by 6 points and moved from AP No. 25 to 24. Tennessee stifled Oklahoma at home. Oklahoma's only P4 win is a close home win over a Houston team that other teams have blown out. 3-1 Oklahoma remains ranked, No. 21 in the AP.

4-0 Indiana, Pitt, and Duke are not ranked. 3-0 Rutgers with a win at VA Tech, a very tough place to play, is not ranked. 

It doesn't matter until 12/8/24 when the Committee decides on at-large teams and seeds the PO field. I try not to get too ticked off by any of this but when anything is decided subjectively and not based on merit, you will get skewed results such as a 13-0 conference champion being benched.

What would the response be if NFL teams played a different number of games, the most influential NFL teams chose the days of the week when they would play and the starting time of the games, and at the end of the regular season 13 folks met behind closed doors and subjectively determined 58.33 percent of the playing field, and teams inferior to other teams were given preferred seeding.

In the NFL, teams with a losing record in their division can make the playoffs but they are seeded behind teams with better records. None of these 'losing' teams are rewarded with preferred seeding. The higher seeds are not sent hither and yon to play the biggest games of the season; their fans are rewarded with home games and not over-priced flights and hotel rooms. 

The system is what it is for the next two seasons so, Go Ducks and Kick Booty! I do not see the same PO format surviving beyond 2025-26. The Power 2's influence goes well beyond two votes. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/26/2024 at 10:48 AM, Jon Joseph said:

3-1 A+M. Uncompetitive home loss to Notre Dame. Beat a bad 1-3 Florida team in Gainesville. Last Saturday, A+M defeated the MAC's Bowling Green at home by 6 points and moved from AP No. 25 to 24. Tennessee stifled Oklahoma at home. Oklahoma's only P4 win is a close home win over a Houston team that other teams have blown out. 3-1 Oklahoma remains ranked, No. 21 in the AP.

4-0 Indiana, Pitt, and Duke are not ranked. 3-0 Rutgers with a win at VA Tech, a very tough place to play, is not ranked. 

No. 21 Oklahoma is @ Auburn this week, where 3-1. unranked Cal, already won. 4-0 Indiana @ 3-1 Maryland should be a good one. Part of our Friday Night Fun, 3-1 Washington @ 4-0 Rutgers -2.0 Go Scarlet Knights!

• Thumbs Up 1

IIRC, Mario lost to 6 unranked teams while he was the head coach at Oregon, with a huge talent advantage and an NFL QB. 

The loss to some bottom feeder team is coming.  Book it. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 9/26/2024 at 7:38 PM, GeotechDuck said:

The loss to some bottom feeder team is coming.  Book it

That is the rest of Miami's schedule. 

On 9/26/2024 at 7:38 PM, GeotechDuck said:

IIRC, Mario lost to 6 unranked teams while he was the head coach at Oregon, with a huge talent advantage and an NFL QB. 

The loss to some bottom feeder team is coming.  Book it. 

So close.  Maybe next week