Steven A

NCAA Closes the "Oregon Loophole", I Think Not.

So, the change will give the Offense the choice of taking the penalty and resetting the clock IF, the 12th player wasn't running off the field.

WWW.ESPN.COM

The NCAA is closing the loophole used by Oregon to shave time off the game clock at the end of Saturday's win over Ohio State, when the Ducks intentionally used 12 players on defense.

What is to stop a team from placing a 12th player on the field and then having an "Opps" moment and having that player run/jog off?

At this point how many coaches on the brink of defeat are going to start contemplating "What would Lanning do?".  A dodgeball kickoff and a rule technicality in the same game helped him take down the supposed team of the decade. I'm sure the recruits out there are paying close attention.

• Applause 1
  • Like 1

NCAA closes loophole for illegal substitution after Oregon 12-man penalty vs. Ohio State

The NCAA has issued a new rules interpretation following a highly controversial tactic used by Oregon in a narrow win over Ohio State this weekend.

The NCAA issued the following ruling to curb the loophole Oregon exploited against Ohio State:

“After the Two-Minute Timeout in either half, if the defense commits a substitution foul and 12 or more players are on the field and participate in a down, officials will penalize the defense for the foul and at the option of the offended team, reset the game clock back to the time displayed at the snap.

“The game clock will then restart on the next snap. If the 12th defender was attempting to exit but was still on the field at the snap and had no influence on the play, then the normal substitution penalty would be enforced with no clock adjustment.”

WWW.ON3.COM

The NCAA has issued a rules interpretation following a controversial 12 men on the field penalty by Oregon against Ohio...

• Thanks 1

Dan prepared and playing chess.  Recruits will notice

On 10/16/2024 at 3:21 PM, Steven A said:

So, the change will give the Offense the choice of taking the penalty and resetting the clock IF, the 12th player wasn't running off the field.

WWW.ESPN.COM

The NCAA is closing the loophole used by Oregon to shave time off the game clock at the end of Saturday's win over Ohio State, when the Ducks intentionally used 12 players on defense.

What is to stop a team from placing a 12th player on the field and then having an "Opps" moment and having that player run/jog off?

Now that everybody knows about it, the coach or QB can call an immediate timeout if he sees 12 players on defense in that situation. The ref will then penalize the defense with no time off the clock.

• Thumbs Up 1

Barn door now closed, but that wily Duck still got out on Saturday.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

This is the fastest the NCAA has moved on anything. 

• Mic drop 1
  • Great post! 2
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 10/16/2024 at 12:39 PM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

Now that everybody knows about it, the coach or QB can call an immediate timeout if he sees 12 players on defense in that situation. The ref will then penalize the defense with no time off the clock.

Exactly... this was a one time thing (for at least the season). Everyone is going to be keyed into this situation and this wasn't going to be a problem again this season. It wasn't a problem the first time around either. 

But hey... take pride everyone. OUR coach is that good that they changed a rule BECAUSE of him. 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Breaking News:  Baseball bans intentional base on balls!  Basketball bans all fouls in final two minutes!

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/16/2024 at 2:39 PM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

I'm not sure that the team would get the timeout back.  Would Ohio State want to burn their final timeout for a 5 yard penalty, even if it stopped the clock?  

Like someone said, you place the extra defender as far away from the play as possible (on the opposite side of the field from the team's bench) and have them "run off the field" without participating in the play.  No time added back to the clock.  The NCAA did not close a loophole, they are just requiring coaches to take an extra step...

Edited by OregonDucks
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/16/2024 at 1:15 PM, 30Duck said:

This is the fastest the NCAA has moved on anything. 

When it involves Oregon....yep!

• Salute 1

Mr. FishDuck

I love how he came up with this, but it does not remove the fact that his judgment almost cost Oregon the game.  4th and 2....you take the damn points.  Then you have a four-point lead, and the whole discussion of Ohio State getting in FG range is moot.

Going for it on 4th down has the odds they do...for a reason.  He will have to lose another game or two by not playing the odds until he learns!

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

But of course it's still perfectly legal to purposely take a delay of game to give the punter more room, or to take an intentional safety to run out the clock.  Not to mention all the times a beaten DB intentionally commits pass interference to save a TD.  For better or for worse, intentional penalties are part of the game.

It's kind of funny though, even in the few instances that this situation actually arises going forward, you have to concede the five yards and make damn sure you get a stop.  It could easily have backfired on DL if Chip would have run the ball and gained even a couple of yards.  It's a risky move.

Edited by noDucknewby
  • Applause 1
  • Like 1

On 10/16/2024 at 2:27 PM, Charles Fischer said:

I love how he came up with this, but it does not remove the fact that his judgment almost cost Oregon the game.  4th and 2....you take the damn points.  Then you have a four-point lead, and the whole discussion of Ohio State getting in FG range is moot.

Going for it on 4th down has the odds they do...for a reason.  He will have to lose another game or two by not playing the odds until he learns!

I feel you Charles, but the play call should have worked. Tez was WIDE open....9 of 10 times DG makes that pass.

• Thumbs Up 1

They are calling it the "Lanning Rule", what they are missing is "LANNING RULES"!!!

• Haha 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Well, I guess it's a fair change - the non-offending side (victim) shouldn't have to lose anything.   So it makes sense that it's treated like an offside penalty.

Since the rule change affects everyone, who knows if it may yet benefit OBD sometime this long season, as I see us as "tOSU" for many of our oppponents.

On 10/16/2024 at 4:27 PM, Charles Fischer said:

It would be interesting to see what Oregon's success rate under Lanning and Stein is on 4th and 2 and 4th and 3 (and the points gained/lost).

I had no issue with Chip going for it, most of the time, because he seemed to convert nearly 100% of the time. That is not the case with Lanning and Stein. Someone needs to have an intervention with advanced statistics.  Dave Bartoo?

Edited by OregonDucks

On 10/16/2024 at 2:36 PM, DanLduck said:

I feel you Charles, but the play call should have worked. Tez was WIDE open....9 of 10 times DG makes that pass.

Maybe....but this is one example is why the stats for making 4th downs are not good; anything can happen!

Play the odds, Dan.  Take the damn points on 4th down!  You had three other downs to get it done for seven points....

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 10/16/2024 at 4:55 PM, OregonDucks said:

I'm not sure that the team would get the timeout back.  Would Ohio State want to burn their final timeout for a 5 yard penalty, even if it stopped the clock?  

Like someone said, you place the extra defender as far away from the play as possible (on the opposite side of the field from the team's bench) and have them "run off the field" without participating in the play.  No time added back to the clock.  The NCAA did not close a loophole, they are just requiring coaches to take an extra step...

They get the timeout back. It’s in the rule book. This is from “Another OD’s” post on the other thread.

image.thumb.png.611e5b1ff8dfbf462b2ea37067a03f9d.png

SATURDAYTRADITION.COM

Urban Meyer had to admit there was some late-game genius on the part of Oregon's Dan Lanning in the win over Ohio State.

“If that’s true (that Lanning did it on purpose), then for 38 years of my career, I’ve been playing checkers,” Meyer conceded.

Love this!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/16/2024 at 3:19 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Maybe....but this is one example is why the stats for making 4th downs are not good; anything can happen!

Plus, the Ducks forced a punt and later scored a TD.  Hindsight always 20/20.

Another controversial play that changed the rule book…hilarious.

You can no longer advance a fumble. This play is why.

On 10/16/2024 at 5:19 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Exactly! Oregon fans were saying the same thing last year, when Bo Nix missed an open receiver or two. Anything can happen when you take the chance on 4th down, especially when you pass the ball (e.g., tipped ball at LOS, bad pass, missed read, a drop).  A run is the safer option, IMO, if you are going to go for it on 4th and short, and you don't have to just pound it up the middle...

Edited by OregonDucks

On 10/16/2024 at 2:27 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Agree. I think we are getting ahead of ourselves with all the DL is a genius talk.  Yes, the 12th man ploy was great and call it genius if you want.  But DL still needs to learn when to take the FG.  And when it's 4th and 2 at midfield you might want to punt, pin them deep and rely on your defense to get the offense a short field.  

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/17/2024 at 9:43 AM, OregonDucks said:

A run is the safer option, IMO, if you are going to go for it on 4th and short, and you don't have to just pound it up the middle...

I absolutely loved the call Kalen DeBoer made on 4th down against WSU last year to save their season. Fake zone read with a reverse. It probably wouldn't be effective near the goal line, but it was a very successful play.

Watching "Get Up" on ESPN, Dan Orlovsky just said, "Right now there are two coaches just better than everybody else, Kirby Smart, and Dan Lanning."

• Wow 1

On 10/16/2024 at 1:23 PM, mikethehiker said:

Breaking News:  Baseball bans intentional base on balls!  Basketball bans all fouls in final two minutes!

Breaking News: PI penalties will now result in a touchdown when it is apparent the offender was intentionally choosing a 15 yard penalty instead of giving up a sure score. (This loophole must be closed according to NCAA verbiage stating that "a team should never benefit from committing an infraction".

Edited by Chas Man
  • Haha 1
  • Applause 2

😂😂

IMG_7616.jpeg

• Haha 2