Charles Fischer

Cristobal About Washington: "Everything WRONG with Football"

Whew!  Some juicy stuff here for future years to be sure, and some links that will leave you pondering...

Canzano: Oregon Ducks Find Some Killer Instinct in Win over Washington by John Canzano of OregonLive

And a FIGHT nearly broke out between the teams after the game?

I am delighted to learn in the article that Oregon--the coaches and the players--have some FIRE in their belly!

• Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

I also liked to see fire in the bellies of coaches and players, especially when it's directed at our rivals the Washington Huskies. I hope they save a little of that fire for Washington State because it will be needed.

That said, I think Cristobal characterizing the Huskies as being "everything wrong with football" is a bit over the top. I get it. Mario was offended by Lake's statements earlier in the week.

Truth be told, Washington wants to beat Oregon just like Oregon wants to beat Washington. That's everything great about football in my book and it's why we have a classic rivalry with them. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Huskies are "everything wrong with football"? Right. Mario held his composure this week but can't just let it go. I wonder what he'll have to say after the game formally known as the Civil War? 

Frankly, I'll be glad when the Cristobal Era is over. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Just looks like some academic prowess to me . . . 

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

IMHO the only thing right about Husky football is they lost to the Ducks.....

Aa a football fan, that game was painful to watch. Not because of the slow start by the O and giving the puppies a very easy 9 points. Heck that's just how some games roll.

The multiple reviews and too many 4 minute commercial breaks destroyed the rhythm and pleasure of the game. It built up like a pressure cooker.

Imagine how the coaches felt? Pouring rain, buffering wind and a bitter rival. I think both HC's just vented. It's human nature.

Good for both coaches. Love their passion. One Coach headed to a 3rd Championship and the other?

• Thumbs Up 4

A focused passion, is the key. We have seen the intensity against tosu, teams from socal, but have often struggled to find the same feeling when playing just another Pac-12 team.

Maybe The Ducks are finding their dedication to winning against all teams. While the penalty against Pittman was a selfish and foolish penalty, the rest of the game I saw a team fighting for each other. Maybe the dawgs have awoken a component we need to win it all.

Going forward, a team with dedication to winning, and defeating all teams together, will be a hard one to stop, if we can just pass!

I will put the lack of passing on the miserable weather. Why would anyone want to go to that school, oh yeah, research. Certainly not to play football!

• Thumbs Up 4

Next week, ASU, a program with problems of their own,  come to Seattle. Last might in, "Pac-12 After Dark" the Sun Devils beat the Trojans. Could be interesting...in the sense that I don't give Washington a chance. 

Where does this quote from Mario..."everything wrong with football"...come from? I can't find it anywhere. Anybody have a link?

• Thumbs Up 1

I

On 11/7/2021 at 8:58 AM, jrw said:

Where does this quote from Mario..."everything wrong with football"...come from? I can't find it anywhere. Anybody have a link?

I haven't seen that anywhere either???? Did it get taken down? 

On 11/7/2021 at 8:58 AM, jrw said:

Cristobal said Washington was everything wrong with football in his post-game locker room rant to the players after the game, which also included some F bombs dropped by Cristobal. The link to another article with the direct quote was in Canzano's article that Charles posted above, but Canzano edited it out this morning. My guess is that Cristobal told him to delete it. 

KT#5 also posted a video of Cristobal's post game speech, but he has deleted it. Suffice to say that Cristobal was hot and bothered after the game, but probably felt a bit sheepish about what he said this morning. I'm sure that he considers his locker room speeches private and for the consumption of his players only.

• Thanks 4
  • Thumbs Up 1

Thanks, latracey.

We'll see if that quote becomes an internet sensation, or if it gets forgotten.

Edited by jrw
  • Thumbs Up 1

jrw, just a reminder (from this retired software engineer): NOTHING IS FORGOTTEN ON THE INTERNET. Everything you post, even when you delete it immediately, is archived SOMEWHERE where it can be eventually found.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 11/7/2021 at 10:04 AM, DimpleDucks said:

Huskies are "everything wrong with football"? Right. Mario held his composure this week but can't just let it go. I wonder what he'll have to say after the game formally known as the Civil War? 

Frankly, I'll be glad when the Cristobal Era is over. 

HUH? He waited to drop shade until after a win and after the victory. Do you want a door mouse coaching the Ducks. In this PO day and age coaches have to speak up for their teams. Do you think Saban would be OK if a close win against LSU dropped the Tide in the polls?

• Thumbs Up 3

I could care less what Saban would do. "Dropping shade" is so juvenile, in my opinion, and exactly interferes with real game prep. 

On 11/7/2021 at 9:57 AM, toketeeman said:

jrw, just a reminder (from this retired software engineer): NOTHING IS FORGOTTEN ON THE INTERNET. Everything you post, even when you delete it immediately, is archived SOMEWHERE where it can be eventually found.

Oh yeah, toketeeman, well aware that the internet never forgets. But, that remark doesn't appear to be getting traction this morning, so it may not explode.

I mean, I couldn't find the quote with a cursory search, and I'm not seeing it anywhere on the usual suspects sites, so it may not become a big deal. But, I'm sure that Washington and their fans will not forget it.

Edited by jrw

On 11/7/2021 at 9:57 AM, toketeeman said:

Absolutely RIGHT toketeeman !! Here is a link to the article that contains the quotes from Cristobal's locker room speech:

https://www.i-5corridor.com/p/wet-and-angry-oregon-again-passes

On 11/7/2021 at 10:12 AM, latracey said:

Absolutely RIGHT toketeeman !! Here is a link to the article that contains the quotes from Cristobal's locker room speech:

https://www.i-5corridor.com/p/wet-and-angry-oregon-again-passes

Note to self: Don't hand Mario a "prop" pistol after a game with the Huskies!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Interesting that it was the player's own "live social media feeds" that brought Mario's remarks out in the open. It seems to me that some things need to be kept private. Will teams now have to bar players from live-streaming?

• Thumbs Up 2

On 11/7/2021 at 1:05 PM, DimpleDucks said:

I could care less what Saban would do. "Dropping shade" is so juvenile, in my opinion, and exactly interferes with real game prep. 

What's wrong with CFB? 1 thing for certain, a coach can no longer have any private time with his team in the locker room post-victory.

Everything goes public. Everything becomes part of the unsocial media circle jerk. 

Maybe MC relieved on his players to be smart enough to keep a private moment private?

It is of course your opinion which I respect, but if this is a fire-able offense? You call it juvenile, I see it as a comment to his troops after a hard fought victory. And I had no right to see it all.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 5

On 11/7/2021 at 10:20 AM, Jon Joseph said:

What's wrong with CFB? 1 thing for certain, a coach can no longer have any private time with his team in the locker room post-victory.

Everything goes public. Everything becomes part of the unsocial media circle jerk. 

Maybe MC relieved on his players to be smart enough to keep a private moment private?

It is of course your opinion which I respect, but if this is a fire-able offense? You call it juvenile, I see it as a comment to his troops after a hard fought victory. And I had no right to see it all.

Coaches have always been subject to leaked comments but now it's more immediate. Locker room privacy is never going to prevail and more mature staff know that. If Mario was relying on his players to be circumspect for him, well, that was foolish on his part. No right to see or know that? Hmm..

What are you talking about when you say "if this is a fireable offense"? 

On 11/7/2021 at 1:30 PM, DimpleDucks said:

Coaches have always been subject to leaked comments but now it's more immediate. Locker room privacy is never going to prevail and more mature staff know that. If Mario was relying on his players to be circumspect for him, well, that was foolish on his part. No right to see or know that? Hmm..

What are you talking about when you say "if this is a fireable offense"? 

How about: 'I'll be glad when the Cristobal era is over.'  This would seem to indicate to me that you would be happy if he was gone now? Is this an unreasonable interpretation?

"Those fu**ing guys right there, they represent everything that is wrong with football". 

I love this quote. Honestly this just gained a lot more respect from me towards Cristobal. He couldn't be more right. What Lake and his players were saying and doing in the week leading up to this game deserves way worse than a quote like this. 

Then the Ducks went out and ran the rock right down their throat. 

Oh how sweet it is to be a Duck fan. In Mario we trust.......and believe me when I say that is saying something for me considering how frustrated I have been with the coaching at times this year, but folks, this is why Cristobal's players love him and play so hard for him. This is a representation of why Cristobal is a great recruiter and is slowly but surely becoming a great coach as he lets his coordinators implement the x's and o's.

Huck the fuskies!!! "Academic prowess" my arse.

• Thumbs Up 8
  • Like 1

On 11/7/2021 at 10:35 AM, Jon Joseph said:

How about: 'I'll be glad when the Cristobal era is over.'  This would seem to indicate to me that you would be happy if he was gone now? Is this an unreasonable interpretation?

Yes, definitely unreasonable. 

He won't be fired and I wasn't suggesting he should be. He make take another job at some point and I won't shed tears if he does. I have never thought he was a good fit for Oregon, and I thoroughly dislike what the offense has become.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/7/2021 at 10:20 AM, Jon Joseph said:

You call it juvenile, I see it as a comment to his troops after a hard fought victory. And I had no right to see it all.

This. We don't need to know everything that goes on behind closed doors. Sometimes, only sometimes, those doors are closed for a good reason.

Edited by jrw
  • Thanks 1

Cristobal hates the huskies and Lake. He gets what is important to Oregon football. 

Comments like what MC said I am sure are common after coming through rivalry games. They just don't always get out there. 

Also let's get real... Lake has been taking shots at the Ducks for years. Last year he even proclaimed winning the pac-12 north because they avoided playing Oregon. 

MC doesn't respect Lake and Lake has earned that with his public comments.

I am 1000% sure Cristobal respects Oregon's other rivals head coach Jonathan Smith because Smith doesn't spout garbage about his rival in public. 

Now lets turn that passion into a pac-12 championship. 

• Thumbs Up 3

On 11/7/2021 at 10:41 AM, DimpleDucks said:

I don't know. I had the same interpretation from your comments as Jon did. 

While you are entitled to your opinion I respectfully disagree on this one as this is football, not golf or tennis or something. Yeah emotions run high as it's pretty much war out there. What Cristobal said is not bad at all and it shows he has his players backs.

The offense situation I do agree with you on, but I think it is slowly but surely getting a bit better.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 11/7/2021 at 1:41 PM, DimpleDucks said:

He won't be fired and I wasn't suggesting he should be. He make take another job at some point and I won't shed tears if he does. I have never thought he was a good fit for Oregon, and I thoroughly dislike what the offense has become.

Fair enough, I respect, of course your POV. Having made known that it will be in your opinion, a grand day when Mario leaves, who would you prefer as a HC?

• Thumbs Up 1

The real problem with what Cristobal said is that despite what we hear from Washington, they actually have little to do with football.

On 11/7/2021 at 10:50 AM, C J said:

What Cristobal said is not bad at all and it shows he has his players backs.

If there is one thing Cristobal wants to promote it's that he has his players backs. 

I think the "academic prowess" comment made by Lake earlier this week really cut deep. Lake implied Oregon players are dumb... Oregon isn't as big of a research school as many schools in the pac-12 are but it is still a quality school. 

Coach speak exists for a reason... It's to be a good sport and look respectful to all opponents. It's annoying for fans sometimes when you hear coaches playing an FCS school say "they are a good football team and they have great coaches and they execute well" when that may or may not be true... But it's what needs to be said publically. 

You don't call another teams players stupid. 

• Thumbs Up 5

On 11/7/2021 at 10:50 AM, C J said:

While you are entitled to your opinion I respectfully disagree on this one as this is football, not golf or tennis or something. Yeah emotions run high as it's pretty much war out there. What Cristobal said is not bad at all and it shows he has his players backs.

Whether it is football or not, it seems to me a coach should be a little more self aware than to spout off as he did with 3 more tough games ahead plus the championship game as well. It's helpful to know what kind of guy he is. Sure, he has his player's backs but I'd rather the energy went forward, not backward.

On 11/7/2021 at 10:57 AM, DimpleDucks said:

Whether it is football or not, it seems to me a coach should be a little more self aware than to spout off as he did with 3 more tough games ahead plus the championship game as well. It's helpful to know what kind of guy he is. Sure, he has his player's backs but I'd rather the energy went forward, not backward.

That competitive energy is what's driving the program forward. Whether you like it or not, he took it personally when another coach called his players dumb and responded on behalf of them. I'd rather have a protective coach with fire in his belly than one who just rolls over. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 11/7/2021 at 10:53 AM, 30Duck said:

The real problem with what Cristobal said is that despite what we hear from Washington, they actually have little to do with football.

I actually think that what Coach was talking about had a lot more to do with the dirty play that the Husky players were promulgating during the game last night and less to do with Lake's comments. Let's face it though.....it's likely Lake's comments that led to a lot of dirty play by the Huskies last night.

On 11/7/2021 at 10:57 AM, DimpleDucks said:
On 11/7/2021 at 10:55 AM, David Marsh said:

I think the "academic prowess" comment made by Lake earlier this week really cut deep. Lake implied Oregon players are dumb... Oregon isn't as big of a research school as many schools in the pac-12 are but it is still a quality school. 

You don't call another teams players stupid. 

He didn't call the players stupid. This has been bent all out of shape.

It served it's purpose last week, maybe, but what is he going to be combustible about when the Cougs come to town? How will the media probe and prod for comments on the Beavs? On Utah? It's just bad form.

On 11/7/2021 at 11:01 AM, C J said:

I actually think that what Coach was talking about had a lot more to do with the dirty play that the Husky players were promulgating during the game last night and less to do with Lake's comments. Let's face it though.....it's likely Lake's comments that led to a lot of dirty play by the Huskies last night.

Like what dirty play?

On 11/7/2021 at 11:01 AM, C J said:

actually think that what Coach was talking about had a lot more to do with the dirty play that the Husky players were promulgating during the game last night and less to do with Lake's comments. Let's face it though.....it's likely Lake's comments that led to a lot of dirty play by the Huskies last night.

I agree, my original comment was just a shot at the hot air coming from the Washington fans more than from Lake.

Huskies have been taking shots for decades at the Ducks - IMO more than just rivalry, outright contempt and rudeness. I’ve been to 30+ Ducks/Dawg games over my life primarily due to living in Seattle for that long and I can say I have never heard the constant smart-ass vitriol from any other fan base. Including the Beavs. They HATE the Ducks, and HATE any Duck fan more. Of course that is not “all” fans as some have been good natured and good fans, but I’m guessing it’s 100 to 1 in my sampling.

In ghosting the DawgPound site this morning, somehow a thread about Lake’s “incident” with his player, commentary got redirected to a Duck fan posting, and voila - all h3ll rains down on him and then all Duck fans.  Incredible.

We played good, bad and ugly last night, but it was inspired play and we hung in there and won the day, in tough conditions and an equally tough crowd environment (until most left early). A good day indeed.

I think MC is all good by me for his comments to the team.

HUCK THE FUSKIES

Now, back to getting 1 - 0. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/7/2021 at 11:02 AM, DimpleDucks said:

It served it's purpose last week, maybe, but what is he going to be combustible about when the Cougs come to town? How will the media probe and prod for comments on the Beavs? On Utah? It's just bad form.

He didn't say it... He implied that Oregon players were beneath Washington's standards. Which is not true because they recruit many of the same players. 

Also... Players and coaches get to celebrate wins. Especially right after the game. Most coaches, including MC, say they get 24 hours to enjoy the win and then they flush it and are back to work. 

Also WSU isn't the same kind of rivalry as Washington. The media can do whatever it wants... But MC does at least say the right things in front of the camera when speaking directly to the media. 

There won't be this drama next week because it is a different kind of game. 

Lake was undisciplined and made some unwise comments to the media. MC didn't say anything problematic directly into a camera. We got a private moment after a game. 

I wonder what was said in the Washington locker room? I'm sure there was some unsavory stuff there too. 

• Like 2

On 11/7/2021 at 10:53 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Fair enough, I respect, of course your POV. Having made known that it will be in your opinion, a grand day when Mario leaves, who would you prefer as a HC?

I don't have a specific preference. Yesterday's game reminded me too much, at times, of the pre-Bellotti days. 

BTW--did anyone notice the lack of replays? I think RG3 will be a fine announcer someday. 

Here's how the O preformed in terrible weather against a far better than average D.

Total Yards - OR 477 - UW 166

OR 22 1st downs - UW 7

OR - ran 25 more plays than UW

Travis 'always say' Dye - 211 yards rushing - 7.5 a pop. 

And it was a very classy move by Oregon not to punch in for an additional rub it in TD but to instead let the clock expire.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 11/7/2021 at 11:05 AM, DimpleDucks said:

Like what dirty play?

Oh I don't know maybe all the personal fouls after plays and all the chipping. I mean Lake had to restrain one of his players on the sideline.

And did you happen to see the fans in the stands flying the double bird at the Oregon bench and fans pretty much the whole game? 

If you didn't see it or catch on to what I am saying then you weren't watching the same game.

On 11/7/2021 at 11:02 AM, DimpleDucks said:

Huh? If you didn't get Lake calling his players and university more intelligent.....which implies our guys are stupid then I don't think it's worth continuing to go back and forth on any of this with you.

• Like 1

On 11/7/2021 at 12:13 PM, DimpleDucks said:

BTW--did anyone notice the lack of replays? I think RG3 will be a fine announcer someday. 

Lack of replays, yes. Maybe the refs were trying to make up for it with reviews of plays. That part drove me nuts, just couldn’t understand most of them. 

On 11/7/2021 at 11:32 AM, DurangoJim said:

Lack of replays, yes. Maybe the refs were trying to make up for it with reviews of plays. That part drove me nuts, just couldn’t understand most of them. 

Lot of close ball spots. Glad they reviewed them because they pretty much went all our way, but yeah the time it took was atrocious.

On 11/7/2021 at 10:41 AM, DimpleDucks said:

I respectfully disagree. While watching lots of points scored in a game is entertaining, I'll take wins.

I LOVE what coach Cristobal brings to Oregon. The team is getting better and if we stay healthy, we will win out.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

On 11/7/2021 at 11:31 AM, C J said:

Huh? If you didn't get Lake calling his players and university more intelligent.....which implies our guys are stupid then I don't think it's worth continuing to go back and forth on any of this with you.

Haha! So, if I don't see it your way, then you're gonna take your ball and go home? 😄 Fine, no worries.

On 11/7/2021 at 11:59 AM, DanLduck said:

I LOVE what coach Cristobal brings to Oregon.

Fair enough. But beyond recruiting, (which seems to be everyone's fall back position on exactly why he's a good coach), and intensity (that any mediocre coach can bring) could you describe what else he brings to Oregon?

On 11/7/2021 at 12:38 PM, DimpleDucks said:

Fair enough. But beyond recruiting, (which seems to be everyone's fall back position on exactly why he's a good coach), and intensity (that any mediocre coach can bring) could you describe what else he brings to Oregon?

“Well,  apart from medicine, irrigation,

health, roads, cheese and education,
baths and the Circus Maximus,
what have the Romans ever done for us?”

- Monty Python

”What Have the Romans Ever Done For Us?”

• Haha 4
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 11/7/2021 at 12:38 PM, DimpleDucks said:

A top 5 ranking and CFP contention.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Like 1